Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DLH buy's soccer team!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kidbazooka1
DelaHoya just became part owner of Major league soccer team Houston dynamo's.

I know Oscar gets a lot of sh*t around here but you gotta give it to the guy he is probably the most successful boxer outside the ring in the history of the sport.
Big Slim Sweet
Fuck soccer.
BigG
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Feb 29 2008, 09:35 PM) [snapback]380668[/snapback]
Fuck soccer.

Word..
CyruS
After the first 2 responses.....

you can close the thread now....

laugh.gif
salvador
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Feb 29 2008, 04:26 PM) [snapback]380637[/snapback]
DelaHoya just became part owner of Major league soccer team Houston dynamo's.

I know Oscar gets a lot of sh*t around here but you gotta give it to the guy he is probably the most successful boxer outside the ring in the history of the sport.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this "investment" won't do anything for his reputation as "the most successful boxer outside the ring in the history of the sport". Any American soccer team is bound to go bankrupt at some point. As far as boxer-types of investments go, I'd put an investment in an American soccer team right up there with an investment in a start-up record label.

kidbazooka1
And the hate continues. LOL

I have a feeling if it was Mayweather who purchased a team you guys would be all over his f*cking nuts for it.

rusty_trombone
It's not like he bought Chelsea or Juventus, it's the freaking Houston Dynamo's? Geez, why not buy a WNBA team also? Maybe round it out with an Arena Leauge team like Bon Jovi?
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 1 2008, 12:23 AM) [snapback]380726[/snapback]
It's not like he bought Chelsea or Juventus, it's the freaking Houston Dynamo's? Geez, why not buy a WNBA team also? Maybe round it out with an Arena Leauge team like Bon Jovi?

I don't know sh*t about soccer and I ain't gonna pretend like I do but didn't the Dynamo's win soemthing like two MLS cup championships or some sh*t like that.
CyruS
Winning anything in the MLS is equal to say, Oscar Delahoya winning the "middleweight title of the world" from felix sturm.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 1 2008, 02:56 AM) [snapback]380746[/snapback]
I don't know sh*t about soccer and I ain't gonna pretend like I do but didn't the Dynamo's win soemthing like two MLS cup championships or some sh*t like that.

yeah, i guess the "Dynamo's" are the smartest slow kid
and the NEW
Go the beautiful game!

Hopefully he brings Zizou out of retirement and over there and you guys can really see someone graceful!
PR316
If he could help bring some stars from Europe to the US to make the league more competitive then maybe it would be interesting but I doubt that will happen.
salvador
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 10 2008, 03:17 PM) [snapback]381933[/snapback]
If he could help bring some stars from Europe to the US to make the league more competitive then maybe it would be interesting but I doubt that will happen.

Didn't they bring Pele to NY? I don't think that it's a matter of stars, I just think that Americans aren't really interested in soccer.
PR316
There's some decent support for the US national team when it comes time for the World Cup. But as a whole, it seems the US doesn't really care about it much and I guess when you consider that the biggest sports here are football, baseball, and basketball, well then there you go.

The MLS just doesn't have the quality mostly because there's not enough money and not enough support from the fans as well.

Even Pele couldn't really bring the type of rabid support for soccer(or football/futbol depending on where you come from) that you see in Europe, South America(Central America and the Carribbean included), Africa, or even in the Middle East and Asia.

So if Pele couldn't do it, I can't picture how Oscar De La Hoya would be able to do it, even though he's a household name in the US. I just think that its one of those sports that the US overall doesn't have much care for, simple as that.
worldsapart509
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 10 2008, 06:00 PM) [snapback]381967[/snapback]
There's some decent support for the US national team when it comes time for the World Cup. But as a whole, it seems the US doesn't really care about it much and I guess when you consider that the biggest sports here are football, baseball, and basketball, well then there you go.
The MLS just doesn't have the quality mostly because there's not enough money and not enough support from the fans as well.
Even Pele couldn't really bring the type of rabid support for soccer(or football/futbol depending on where you come from) that you see in Europe, South America(Central America and the Carribbean included), Africa, or even in the Middle East and Asia.
So if Pele couldn't do it, I can't picture how Oscar De La Hoya would be able to do it, even though he's a household name in the US. I just think that its one of those sports that the US overall doesn't have much care for, simple as that.

I might be mistaken, but hasn't the MLS been around for over 10 years now? It obviously isn't as big as MLB, NBA and NFL, but it isn't even close to being in danger of bankruptcy. I'd say it's actually gaining steam, especially with Galaxy's acquisition of David Beckham for $250,000,000.00.

If the league wasn't making money, they would have closed shop 5 years after they cut the ribbon.
Elijah
This will probably be a successful soccer team seeming as though Oscar knows quite a bit about running.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.