Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: K-1 rule regarding fights that go the distance
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AussieLad
Now this is just a hypothetical thrown in for fun.

While reading the MMA threads, I saw that Warlord mentioned an interesting rule they have in K-1 where fights that go the distance are ruled draws.

Obviously the intent of the rules is to promote action fights and knockouts. Boxing is after all a combat sport, imagine how rankings p4p would change dramatically if it were applied to boxing

It would not be suffecient to pot shot and move your way to a decision victory, can you imagine PBF's record under this rule? He would have alot of draws. Either that, or he would have to change his style to be more aggressive and crowd pleasing, which would not be to his benefit. If he was trying hard to get the KO for a win, it would leave him more open. Same applies to guys like winky wright. While they may still be in fights that go the distance, and seemingly dominate the fight, if they dont get the KO it would drastically alter their win percentages.

If they did put in this rule, who would be the knew P4P kings?
BigG
It would be absolutely retarded..

Paulie Malignaggi would only have 5 wins..lol
AussieLad
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 29 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]380700[/snapback]
It would be absolutely retarded..

Paulie Malignaggi would only have 5 wins..lol

LOL... its just a "what if" thread. Ive had a few whiskeys so cut me some slack thumbsup_anim.gif

I'm not one of those guys thats impressed by spotless records, as far as i am concerned if you dont have a loss or two here and there you have probably been fighting soft opponents.

And even if it does go to the end of the final round, its a draw and not a loss and you could still be undefeated. You wouldnt be throwing your defensive craft out the window, because no-one wants to be knocked out, but if you wanted the win you would have to either press the action or take a few more risks.
Warlord
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Feb 29 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]380699[/snapback]
Now this is just a hypothetical thrown in for fun.

While reading the MMA threads, I saw that Warlord mentioned an interesting rule they have in K-1 where fights that go the distance are ruled draws.

Obviously the intent of the rules is to promote action fights and knockouts. Boxing is after all a combat sport, imagine how rankings p4p would change dramatically if it were applied to boxing

It would not be suffecient to pot shot and move your way to a decision victory, can you imagine PBF's record under this rule? He would have alot of draws. Either that, or he would have to change his style to be more aggressive and crowd pleasing, which would not be to his benefit. If he was trying hard to get the KO for a win, it would leave him more open. Same applies to guys like winky wright. While they may still be in fights that go the distance, and seemingly dominate the fight, if they dont get the KO it would drastically alter their win percentages.

If they did put in this rule, who would be the knew P4P kings?

That rule was used for the old, joint K-1/PRIDE events like Dynamite!. I don't think anyone ever liked that rule-set at all, which is why it is no longer used.

A better rule-set that Pride came up with was the rule where decisions were judged heavily by how a fighter finished a fight, and not so much on how he started it. That kind of blotted out some of the shit we still see in boxing, where a fighter builds up an early lead and then coasts to the end, hoping for a UD or SD. This kind of rules-package would actually prevent guys like Winky Wright and Floyd Gayweather from coasting to decisions, but I leave that discussion to anyone here who cares about it. I myself couldn't care less.
WWE
Hmm, this would definitely have its drawbacks if applied to boxing. Guys like Mayweather would manage to find a KO to win a title and then just run away from opponents in the ring so all defences would end as draws and he'd be able to keep his belts for years without EVER pressing the action
Also a lot of great fights have gone the distance and sometimes even when i don't necessarily want a guy to win, i still might feel he deserves to make it to the final bell.
Having said that, it would be nice if SOME new rule or stipulation could be applied occasionally to stop dodgy decisions, boring styles, a draw when you wanted to see somebody'd 0 go or a unification, etc. Maybe the additional 'sudden death' round could be added like in K-1.
Southeastpaw
If there were submissions in boxing, then maybe. But you have some guys with just really tough tough chins. People like Chris Byrd, Winky Wright, and Sergio Mora would have pretty much no wins.
AussieLad
QUOTE(WWE @ Mar 3 2008, 01:05 AM) [snapback]381056[/snapback]
Hmm, this would definitely have its drawbacks if applied to boxing. Guys like Mayweather would manage to find a KO to win a title and then just run away from opponents in the ring so all defences would end as draws and he'd be able to keep his belts for years without EVER pressing the action

Thats a good point. I think if you were going to go the whole hog, you could just say the title becomes vacant without a succesfull defence. But then with boxing full of shady characters, i could see people being sent in to survive against a tough champion, just so they could force him out with a draw.

Lets just say it was in place? Who would be the new P4P KO kings? Valero?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Mar 2 2008, 08:49 PM) [snapback]381062[/snapback]
People like Chris Byrd, Winky Wright, and Sergio Mora would have pretty much no wins.

you know, i might be ok with that.
BigJuicyHog
Annndddd the NEW heavyweight champion of the world...DAAAVVVIIIIIIIIID TUA!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Mar 3 2008, 01:49 AM) [snapback]381062[/snapback]
People like Chris Byrd, Winky Wright, and Sergio Mora would have pretty much no wins.

That sounds fantastic to me.
WWE
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Mar 3 2008, 04:49 AM) [snapback]381062[/snapback]
If there were submissions in boxing, then maybe.

Heheheheh, submissions in boxing. That'd be hilarious. Botha would like that because then he could've tapped out when Tyson had his arm instead of just screaming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.