Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UFC 82 picks
FightHype Community > MMA HYPE > UFC
Southeastpaw
Arlovski is fighting an undefeated guy named Jake O'Brien. Have not seen Jake fight, but I am a big Arlovski fan. I think he got the shaft from Dana. He beat Werdum, and it was Werdum that gets a high profile fight against Gonzaga and Arlovski is left hangin out to dry. SO, it is hard for me top pick because I know nothing of O'Brien.

Okami is fighting Evan Tanner. I believe Okami should take this one. I thought that he could have taken Franklin out when they fought, but he looked like he was not even trying in that bout. Okami has the tools to be a tough fight for anyone including Silva.

Jon Fitch is fighting a guy names Chris Wilson. Wilson is another guy I cannot remember seeing. But it is hard seeing Fitch lose right now. I expect they are grooming him for a title shot.

Leben is fighting Alessio Sakara. Alessio sounds very familiar to me, but I cannot place him. Leben seems to have been struggling alot lately, so not sure about this one.

I fully expect Kongo to annihilate Herring when they meet. Not sure if Heath gets out of the first round in this one.

And the one I am super pumped about is Silva/Henderson. I LOVE this match-up. This is the BEST match-up at MW at the moment. Silva is the definition of PRIME right now. Henderson has no show of slowing up, but he is coming off that loss to Jackson. WHich may play in his favor in a sense. It was a LHW and it was a very close bout. Hard to pick. If Henderson can take Silva to the ground, that is where he will have his best chance. But this is how I look at it. I believe that Silva's stand-up is much better than Henderson's. Silva still has a good ground game as well though. I believe that Silva's better on the feet, than is Henderson on the ground.......if that makes any sense. So, I have to go with Silva based on that. Silva has the momentum and youth on his side.

I can't wait!!!!!
AussieLad
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but i think the arlovski, diego sanchez and josh koshcheck matches arent even on the main card and may not be aired depending on how long the other fights go?

How good must the card be if these guys are just in the preliminaries
AussieLad
Arlovski is a beast when his head is right. Fantastic striker, power, and moves like a middleweight. I havent seen his opponent, but i have no trouble picking arlovski by stoppage

Fitch shouldnt have too many problems getting a win, he is a solid all rounder

Okami over tanner

I think Henderson has the right mix of tools to beat silva. If he can avoid the knees and kicks and take it to the mat, i think he can ground and pound silva. but silva is so dangerous on his feet and on his back that he is the logical choice. He seems so much bigger than dan, except in the chin department LOL

SouthEastPaw, sakara is the guy that got starched by houston alexander. This is a hard pick, i dont think either guy has any real advantage over the other. I think i will take Leben

Kongo is going to lay a jungle beat on herrings horse
TheWhiteBuffalo
Arlovski's last 4 fights have been snooooozers. That is why he is no longer getting PPV exposure. There is also some talk of him leaving the UFC when his contract expires.

I say a big GOOD-BYE to him. The guy has talent, but he fights scared these days. He hasn't been the same since his fights with Tum Sylvia.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Mar 1 2008, 05:50 AM) [snapback]380756[/snapback]
Arlovski's last 4 fights have been snooooozers. That is why he is no longer getting PPV exposure. There is also some talk of him leaving the UFC when his contract expires.

I say a big GOOD-BYE to him. The guy has talent, but he fights scared these days. He hasn't been the same since his fights with Tum Sylvia.

I disagree to an extent. He was the one that had Werdum backing up. Werdum is as much to blame for making that fight boring. And Werdum got more exposure in a boring loss to Arlovski in a fight that he was the one fighting scared in. And then you had Arlovski's fight with Cruz. I thought that KO strike was awesome. That fight was too short to be a "snoozer". Then you have the Sylvia fights before that. The Sylvia rubbermatch was a snoozer, but then again, so is Tim. And you don't see him getting any lack of exposure. As much as Arlovski has dome for the UFC, you'd think that he'd get some TV exposure. All I can think of is that Dana must of caught wind that Arlovski is heading elsewhere after his contract is up. Which is after tonight I believe.

And what about Sanchez notr being televised. I just don't get that. Sure, there are many that do not like him. But he is a very good fighter and has also had plenty of exposure ion the past.

I can surely foresee the EliteXC organization taking over MMA in the next few years with the way Dana White has been runnin things. The UFC is the hot ticket right now. But just wait. You have EliteXC on regular TV now and then you have a bunch of guys coming from UFC to EliteXC. It won't surprise me a bit to see Arlovski there after tonight.
pastor method
fitch (they love feeding fitch easy opponents)

okami (evan tanner is one of my favourites but he hasn't fought in a long time, tough first fight back)

arlovski (o'brien doesn't have much of a chin, but he can wrestle, so it's at least interesting)

kongo (the casual fan's infatuation with heavyweights is the only reason this fight is on the main card. should be boring, i expect kongo to take a decision, schooling him in the stand up)

silva (great fight, could go either way, really depends on how the clinch game goes, since they are both masters. i'll go with the younger guy here, he's got the momentum)
TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(joeminnifield @ Mar 1 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]380833[/snapback]
THEY COME TO THE HOOD WITH THAT BS MMA, UFC SHIT AN GET KTFO ON THE CORNER, ACTION JACKSON, IS THE ONLY REAL FIGHTING MOTHERFUCKER, HE THE PBF OF THE UFC, MMA bb2.gif

Here we go with more of the "hood" sh*t..............

and we all wonder why the world is coming to an end, huh?
Warlord
Is Hype or anyone else doing a RBR for this event? If not, I'll have to go to Sherdog, which I'd rather not do because the traffic will be hell there.
BigG
I think Hendos gonna pull it out for some reason. Both are top notch fighters...but I think Hendos great wrestling might upset Silva.
Warlord
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 1 2008, 09:48 PM) [snapback]380862[/snapback]
I think Hendos gonna pull it out for some reason. Both are top notch fighters...but I think Hendos great wrestling might upset Silva.

Agreed, Hendo's top-control is unrivaled. I can see him pulling out a boring UD, or even stunning the world with a brutal KO via the overhand right.

No matter how great Anderson Silva looks, I just can't get the images of him getting owned by friggin Daiju Takase out of my head. Those Japanese fighters abused his ass like a dirty cumrag, and Dangerous Dan knows all about fighting in Japan. We'll see how it goes though.
BigG
If Hendo wins by stoppage its gonna be ground and pound...too dangerous to stand in there with a striker like Silva. But it should be an interesting fight.
Warlord
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 1 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]380871[/snapback]
If Hendo wins by stoppage its gonna be ground and pound...too dangerous to stand in there with a striker like Silva. But it should be an interesting fight.

With Dan's chin though, he can stand up and bang with anybody. The guy fights with heavyweights and light heavyweights on a regular basis. He's been in slugfests with some of the best strikers in the business, and the current 205lb champion (Quinton Jackson) broke his hand on Dan's thick skull. I don't worry about Dan standing with Anderson. I just worry about him getting out-pointed should he do so. Taking 3 shots to deliver 1 of your own doesn't play out so hot on the scorecards.
Warlord
Anderson Silva win via rear naked choke, RD2. Wow. Unexpected. Silva is now the unidsputed #1 P4P fighter in the game today. (Sorry Fedor. Fight Randy and we'll talk.)

How much longer until Silva goes to 205? He has nothing left to prove at this weight.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Warlord @ Mar 1 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]380878[/snapback]
With Dan's chin though, he can stand up and bang with anybody. The guy fights with heavyweights and light heavyweights on a regular basis. He's been in slugfests with some of the best strikers in the business, and the current 205lb champion (Quinton Jackson) broke his hand on Dan's thick skull. I don't worry about Dan standing with Anderson. I just worry about him getting out-pointed should he do so. Taking 3 shots to deliver 1 of your own doesn't play out so hot on the scorecards.

I've said it from the beginning, if Rashad and Wandy could not KO Hendo Anderson isn't going to able to do it eigther.....tisk, tisk....
Southeastpaw
Silva had Hendo rocked pretty good before it went to the ground. It was because Hendo got rocked standing that it went to the ground and led to Hendo's dismay. That surprised me as well. Wanderlei no Jackson could stun Hendo in the least and Silva stunned him, had him on the ground, took his back and choked him out. Silva is definitely the #1 fighter in the sport. The guy is insane right now.
BigG
Silva now needs to fight Rampage.
pastor method
silva should avenge his loss to yushin okami, okami deserves a title shot and i'd imagine silva still has a sour taste in his mouth from that DQ loss.
ElectricTwinkie
Silva- from the Ghetto of Brazil
Heath Herring-from the Ghetto of Texas
Chris Leben-from the Ghetto period
Okami-from the Ghetto of Japan

Hey StreetLion, MMA sure has a lot of guys from the ghetto, don't they?
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone at all surprised with Herring's performance? Everyone above picked him to lose.

ElectricTwinkie
The only thing that suprised me about Herring, were the stars shaved into his head.
AussieLad
His record going into the congo fight wasnt good, but he did what he had to do to pull out an unspectacular victory. I am surprised congo wanted the fight on the ground? I guess he wanted to surprise herring, but his ground work sucks and it backfired
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.