Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vasquez vs. Marquez III: Round by Round and Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
This is it!!!! Our Round by Round and post fight reactions thread to the most anticipated rubber match in years!!!

MARQUEZ VS. VASQUEZ III: THE TIE BREAKER!!!!!

FOLLOW ALL OF THE ACTION TONIGHT ON SHOWTIME AT 8PM CST. ALSO FOR NON-SHOWTIME SUBSCRIBERS, IT CAN BE SEEN ON PPV FOR $24.95. KEEP ALL COMMENTS HERE. Provide all round by round and post fight responses in this thread.

ENJOY!!!!!

Jack

Administrator
salvador
Incredible!!!!!!!!!

The only question in this fight is Marquez's chin. I think he's won both rounds, but I think Vasquez did more damage. I'm not even sure that if I was a ref that I'd have given those rounds to Marquez simply because Vasquez has had him slightly wobbled in both.
salvador
The 4th is now starting. I can't remember a better fight.
salvador
Down Goes VASQUEZ!

VASQUEZ COMES BACK!!!
The CEO
Yeah...didn't know it would start this early??

Better than words can express, sal?
FenderDG3
Round 4 was amazing... Round of the Year material!!!
stateofthegame
Vazquez was down and then hurt Marquez when he got up. These guys make up for last weekend that is for sure.
D-MARV
FU*K
I missed the first 4 rounds, didnt know it was starting so early!
salvador
Vasquez takes the 5th.

Marques is clearly the superior boxer tonight. But even though Vasquez is landing less and maybe losing the fight by a wide margin, I can't help but believe that Marquez needs a ko because his chin ain't gonna last 12.
salvador
Marquez may have won that round too (7th), but that chin ain't goin' 12!
stateofthegame
it seems to me that Vazquez is just missing on a lot of his shots. I got a feeling he is going to connect squarely at any moment.
salvador
No way does Marquez's chin go 12!

I really think they're both trying to outdo Morales-Barrera. It's a Mexican thing.
stateofthegame
Whatever it is, it is these types of fights that should be called the saviors of boxing.
alaganza
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Mar 1 2008, 10:02 PM) [snapback]380873[/snapback]
Whatever it is, it is these types of fights that should be called the saviors of boxing.

Amen to that!

It's a shame the flagship of the sport can't get anything remotely close to this fight.
salvador
Great call by Bernstien: "I almost don't care how they score this fight. Whatever it is, it is."

Romulus9
I REALLY hope this ends up a draw just so we can see a fourth installment. WOW!
salvador
Seriously, there's a big difference between a great fight and a great fight between two Mexicans. It's just the way it is.
salvador
Top 5 all day long!
stateofthegame
What determination in the 12th for Vazquez. That is what I like to see. Fight up for grabs and they just go forit. no taking it easy. One trying to close and the other trying to survive. Great stuff.
salvador
Marquez had nothing in the 12th. Nothing. I thought it just as easily could have been stopped. Marquez left exactly everything he had in the ring. So did Vasquez.

Marquez-Vasquez 4 is a must.

Romulus9
And once again...

the card that is completely opposite from the others belongs to Tom Kaczmarek.

Idiot!
salvador
I'd have given it to Marquez.

Jesus I hope there's one more.
Imperius3
Vazquez would have stopped Marquez if the ref hadn't intervened.

I had Vazquez winning by a point.

VAZQUEZ WINS A SPLIT DECISION!
salvador
There isn't any sport in the world that can compete with what we saw tonight.
stateofthegame
With Marquez's complaining I wish Russell would have stopped the fight. Did anyone else notice the guy trying to shake Vazquez's hand and the photographer slapping it away. I would have elbowed that guy.
Romulus9
Jim Gray is to interviews what Lennox Lewis is to commentary. Good Lord!
D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 1 2008, 10:22 PM) [snapback]380886[/snapback]
There isn't any sport in the world that can compete with what we saw tonight.

This is what Boxing is all about.
NO MMA or WWE can produce the fireworks that went on tonight!!!! CLASSIC
Mean Mister Mustard
Why couldn't this fight be on CBS, NBC or ABC? Imagine what fights like these would do for boxing if they were on network television.

The decision went to the right guy. I think before the 12th the fight could have gone either way but then Vasquez's strong surge in the final round did it for him. Vasquez has to be the best conditioned fighter in boxing right now.
hardhead
WOOHOO!!! greatest trilogy in my lifetime, better then Barrera/Morales...
Imperius3
The knockdown ruling was fine, however I really wish the ref would have let Vazquez finish Marquez. That really would have ended things right.
hardhead
I had it 114-111 Vazquez I agree i think it was close but Vazquez came on like a little beast in that last round and solidified the decision on my card..

hardhead
The correct call was made for the KD, Marquez was held up by the ropes if it weren't for the ropes he would've been down..referee got it right, now the low blow was on the belt, that was questionable but I still think Vazquez won the fight even if he wouldn't have taken away that point for the low blow...
Imperius3
QUOTE(hardhead @ Mar 1 2008, 09:33 PM) [snapback]380896[/snapback]
The correct call was made for the KD, Marquez was held up by the ropes if it weren't for the ropes he would've been down..referee got it right, now the low blow was on the belt, that was questionable but I still think Vazquez won the fight even if he wouldn't have taken away that point for the low blow...

The final low blow was a borderline decision, but a couple of the earlier ones were clear low blows. Therefore the point deduction was for the accumulation of low blows and not purely for the low blow which led to the point deduction. I think the point deduction was fair.
hardhead
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 2 2008, 03:44 AM) [snapback]380897[/snapback]
The final low blow was a borderline decision, but a couple of the earlier ones were clear low blows. Therefore the point deduction was for the accumulation of low blows and not purely for the low blow which led to the point deduction. I think the point deduction was fair.

I agree with you on that, I don't think it's a contrevesy the right man won, especially after that last round IMO..
salvador
QUOTE(hardhead @ Mar 1 2008, 11:31 PM) [snapback]380892[/snapback]
WOOHOO!!! greatest trilogy in my lifetime, better then Barrera/Morales...

I have to agree with you on that. The contraversery would be that Vasquez quit in the first fight, something that neither Morales or Barrera would have done in their fights because they hated each other so much more. But the truth is that Vasquez-Marquez was ON all three fights, whereas Barrera took that second fight off. Also, both Marquez and Vasquez both got kos, whereas Barrera Morales went 36.

I think Barrera-Morales 1 was the best fight of the 6, but Vasquez-Marquez in total was a more all out, leave everyting in the ring kind of thing for all three fights.

flazi
great fight, izzy's will is unmatched. The only thing that messed it up was the whining by marquez and his camp after the fight.
Imperius3
Marquez got out to a fast start and was pumping the jab nonstop. I was shocked when Marquez had Vazquez DOWN in the FOURTH round. Those jabs were really hurting him. Vazquez was RELENTLESS and kept on coming though. The right hand of Vazquez did the most damage this time. I remember his corner mentioning how Marquez couldn't see the right hands because of his swollen eye. Vazquez kept chopping away to Marquez' head and body. I think Marquez got worn down due to Vazquez and because of his fast start. Both showed TREMENDOUS heart.

SPECTACULAR FUCKING FIGHT!
hardhead
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 2 2008, 03:47 AM) [snapback]380899[/snapback]
I have to agree with you on that. The contraversery would be that Vasquez quit in the first fight, something that neither Morales or Barrera would have done in their fights because they hated each other so much more. But the truth is that Vasquez-Marquez was ON all three fights, whereas Barrera took that second fight off. Also, both Marquez and Vasquez both got kos, whereas Barrera Morales went 36.

I think Barrera-Morales 1 was the best fight of the 6, but Vasquez-Marquez in total was a more all out, leave everyting in the ring kind of thing for all three fights.

Exactly, combined and the way each fight was better then the next IMO is what puts it ahead of Barrera/Morales...
Don Flamenco
LOL at Morales sitting directly behind Barrera in the crowd. I wonder if they said hi to each other when taking their seats.

The reason a fight like this isn't on CBS is the fights that the regular non hardcore boxing fan hears about are the snooze fests that also leaves them thinking they were robbed for shelling out their money. It's up to the promoters to try and get fights like this on regular television. Well, tonight at least it wasn't on PPV. There's only been two fights that i can remember of recent memory that had the much hype but not the public following for snooze fests like dlh and pbf. Those fights were the fights between these two men and the first fight bettween chico and castillo....

LOL and while I am typing this, Joe Rogan is talking about some guy's tatoos being cool as he walks up to fight in a cage like some fucking animal. Yay for cool tatoos!

Going into the 12 i had it 104-104. I didn't think the decision for the ref to give the knockdown in the 12th was a bad decision. Someone should have explained to Marquez the rules when a fighter is held up on the ropes while he was getting interviewed by Jim Gray.

Great fight
hardhead
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 2 2008, 03:56 AM) [snapback]380903[/snapback]
Marquez got out to a fast start and was pumping the jab nonstop. I was shocked when Marquez had Vazquez DOWN in the FOURTH round. Those jabs were really hurting him. Vazquez was RELENTLESS and kept on coming though. The right hand of Vazquez did the most damage this time. I remember his corner mentioning how Marquez couldn't see the right hands because of his swollen eye. Vazquez kept chopping away to Marquez' head and body. I think Marquez got worn down due to Vazquez and because of his fast start. Both showed TREMENDOUS heart.

SPECTACULAR FUCKING FIGHT!

Exactly the way I saw it, Marquez started fast and was boxing and moving and mixing it up very well but the constant pressure of Vazquez combined with a fighter like Marquez that is trying to move and box and mix it up takes SO MUCH out of most guys and Marquez was clearly wearing down in the last 6 or 7(definitely the last 4 rounds) and Vazquez just coming and coming. In that last round he was beating the shit out of marquez so bad that it was almost a damn 10-8 round without the KD at the end. In that last round when Vazquez came out so relentless all I kept thinking was JCC/Taylor all over again, and it almost happened...What an amazing fight and amazing effort as well as trilogy..
Jack 1000
Great fight!!! I wish that this could have been on commercial network TV. The match started out a little more cautious than the first two, but from the 4th to the end, great stuff! Easily a 9/10 in the history books for action. I had commented that this fight had the type of momentum that could see it change by one punch from either guy at anytime. Pat Russell, the ref did an outstanding job! Boxing rules correctly state that if the ref determines that the ropes are the only thing holding you up and keeping you from hitting the canvas from any legal punch, it is a knockdown. Vasquez, I didn't like his cry-baby antics akin to Chavez losing to Randall the first time. Jim Grey is a shit, and I finally can see why. He ALWAYS tries to create controversy or some sort of confrontation even when there is none. He never says, "Great fight," and that's the end of it.

I did not do a 10-point must score, but in rounds had it 7-5 Vasquez. He came on in the later stages of the fight to earn the decision. I would have had no problem with a draw, which we would have had if Marquez did not lose point for a low blow on Max Deluca's card. A draw to a 2-point win on either side is fine. However, once again WBC crony Tom Kaczmerick, who had Leonard ahead of Hearns in their rematch and had Delahoya over Mayweather sees it 114-111 for Marquez. No way can I accept that! And this is the guy writing judging books and giving seminars. He's got to be damn near 75-80. He's getting too old to be performing in there. This issue aside, it was a great fight!

I may be biased, but I always prefer these types of fights over watching ring technicians jab and dance. I am not saying that the master boxers should change their styles, far from it. But, if you want to get the general public into boxing on a mainstream basis, these slugging matches are the types of fights that need to be back on network commercial TV!

Jack
hardhead
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 2 2008, 04:20 AM) [snapback]380910[/snapback]
LOL at Morales sitting directly behind Barrera in the crowd. I wonder if they said hi to each other when taking their seats.
The reason a fight like this isn't on CBS is the fights that the regular non hardcore boxing fan hears about are the snooze fests that also leaves them thinking they were robbed for shelling out their money. It's up to the promoters to try and get fights like this on regular television. Well, tonight at least it wasn't on PPV. There's only been two fights that i can remember of recent memory that had the much hype but not the public following for snooze fests like dlh and pbf. Those fights were the fights between these two men and the first fight bettween chico and castillo....

LOL and while I am typing this, Joe Rogan is talking about some guy's tatoos being cool as he walks up to fight in a cage like some fucking animal. Yay for cool tatoos!

Going into the 12 i had it 104-104. I didn't think the decision for the ref to give the knockdown in the 12th was a bad decision. Someone should have explained to Marquez the rules when a fighter is held up on the ropes while he was getting interviewed by Jim Gray.

Great fight

I wasn't aware of Morales behind Barrera, hahaha I was so focused on the fight I didn't notice...those two guys truly do not like each other that's for sure..
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 1 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]380912[/snapback]
Great fight!!! I wish that this could have been on commercial network TV. The match started out a little more cautious than the first two, but from the 4th to the end, great stuff! Easily a 9/10 in the history books for action. I had commented that this fight had the type of momentum that could see it change by one punch from either guy at anytime. Pat Russell, the ref did an outstanding job! Boxing rules correctly state that if the ref determines that the ropes are the only thing holding you up and keeping you from hitting the canvas from any legal punch, it is a knockdown. Vasquez, I didn't like his cry-baby antics akin to Chavez losing to Randall the first time. Jim Grey is a shit, and I finally can see why. He ALWAYS tries to create controversy or some sort of confrontation even when there is none. He never says, "Great fight," and that's the end of it.

I did not do a 10-point must score, but in rounds had it 7-5 Vasquez. He came on in the later stages of the fight to earn the decision. I would have had no problem with a draw, which we would have had if Marquez did not lose point for a low blow on Max Deluca's card. A draw to a 2-point win on either side is fine. However, once again WBC crony Tom Kaczmerick, who had Leonard ahead of Hearns in their rematch and had Delahoya over Mayweather sees it 114-111 for Marquez. No way can I accept that! And this is the guy writing judging books and giving seminars. He's got to be damn near 75-80. He's getting too old to be performing in there. This issue aside, it was a great fight!

I may be biased, but I always prefer these types of fights over watching ring technicians jab and dance. I am not saying that the master boxers should change their styles, far from it. But, if you want to get the general public into boxing on a mainstream basis, these slugging matches are the types of fights that need to be back on network commercial TV!

Jack

I had it 5 rounds to 5 with the first round even.

edge goes to Vasquez for the low blow point deduction and the KD in the 12th.

114-112
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(hardhead @ Mar 1 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]380913[/snapback]
I wasn't aware of Morales behind Barrera, hahaha I was so focused on the fight I didn't notice...those two guys truly do not like each other that's for sure..

yeah, i was trying to tell my brother and it was kinda hard to see at first cause the rope was in the way of morales' face. I thought it was kinda weird. I woulda had them sit not as close to each other.

Morales didn't look too happy. He only stood up to cheer once in the 12th.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 1 2008, 10:27 PM) [snapback]380915[/snapback]
I had it 5 rounds to 5 with the first round even.

edge goes to Vasquez for the low blow point deduction and the KD in the 12th.

114-112

I think you would mean 6-5-1. Your example only shows scoring 11 rounds!

Jack
Don Flamenco
lol

yeah, you're right
Imperius3
My scorecard:

Round 1: Marquez 10-9
Round 2: Marquez 10-9
Round 3: Marquez 10-9
Round 4: Marquez 10-8
Round 5: Vazquez 10-9
Round 6: Vazquez 10-9
Round 7: Vazquez 10-9
Round 8: Vazquez 10-9
Round 9: Marquez 10-9
Round 10: 9-9 (Marquez round, but even because of point deduction.)
Round 11: Vazquez 10-9
Round 12: Vazquez 10-8

113-112 Vazquez
Don Flamenco
I had

Round 1: 10-10
Round 2: 10-9 Marquez
Round 3: 10-9 Marquez
Round 4: 10-8 Marquez (KD)
Round 5: 10-9 Vazquez
Round 6: 10-9 Vazquez
Round 7: 10-9 Marquez
Round 8: 10-9 Vazquez
Round 9: 10-9 Marquez
Round 10: 10-8 Vazquez (low blow)
Round 11: 10-9 Vazquez
Round 12: 10-8 Vazquez (KD)

114-112
hardhead
my card.

1. Marquez(10-9)
2. Marquez(10-9)
3. Vazquez(10-9)
4. Marquez(10-8)
5. Vazquez(10-9)
6. Vazquez(10-9)
7. Marquez(10-9)
8. Vazquez(10-9)
9. Vazquez(10-9)
10. Marquez(9-9)
11. Vazquez(10-9)
12. Vazquez(10-8)

114-111 Vazquez.
JD
The right man won the fight.

I do not want to see a 4th fight between these guys - there is just no need, and frankly, it is inhumane.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.