Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Israel Vazquez/Rafael Marquez appreciation thread
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Vazquez-Marquez III was HANDS DOWN the best and most brutal fight since Chico (RIP) - Castillo...just incredible stuff.

kidbazooka1
Definitly, this fight is what boxing is all about two fighters showing superb while giving fans an all action war.

What we witnessed last night was one for the books. Without a doubt The best boxing trilogy ever.
Jack 1000
Thank you for this thread! And thank you for this fight!!! All of you can do your best to spread this classic to the general public. Tell your friends, family, neighbors, about the replay on Showtime sister stations, and Showtime on Demand starting on Monday for most cable systems. I already e-mailed my brother who is far more into MMA than boxing, but he loved Corrales-Castillo I. I told hm about this fight. (and also about the two previous great fights that Marquez and Vasquez had.) With this great site and the positive community input generated from it, and this glorious, magnificent fight, spread the message.

Let's get the general public excited about boxing again with fights such as these. Maybe, although it won't happen overnight, we can get the commercial TV networks interested in boxing again. Even if only on an experimental basis. What I mean is, somehow, someone should take a tape or DVD of this fight to the commercial networks along with the first two bouts. Create an awareness of other upcoming bouts as well such as Marquez-Pacquiao II. Focus more on the lighter weight divisions where the action is.

I am so proud of these great warriors and all of our wonderful fans and staffers at Fight Hype who create such a great interest in fights such as these for the boxing fans.

Jack

Administrator
Southeastpaw
I can see where you are coming from Fitz. But I believe that this trilogy was better. There were knockdowns in every bout, the skill level was unbelievable. The first fight did end in a crappy way, but up until that point it was amazing. In every one of the fights, someone was really hurt. There were very bad cuts and dramatic turn arounds. It all depends on what you like I believe. I really love the drama. I believe that this trilogy was hands down more drmatic tham the Barrera/Morales fights. And to me, the 3rd Barrera/Morales was a run away win for Barerra. The skill surrounding all of these guys are incredible. But I think that on a P4P level, Marquez and Vasquez are bigger punchers than were Barerra or Morales. It could go either way I suppose. But I loved all the knockdowns in this trilogy. I believe that round 3 of of Marquez/Vasquez II and round 4 of Marquez/Vasquez III were better than any rounds in the Barerra/Morales trilogy.
JD
Great fight. Great trilogy. Great fighters.

I honestly can say that I do not want to see a 4th.
Byrd Man
someone ban this motherfucker, please????
BigG
I'm all for a 4th fight. Not like they have anyone else to fight at 122 really. And since the last fight was somewhat controversial, why not do it again?
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 3 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]381110[/snapback]
I'm all for a 4th fight. Not like they have anyone else to fight at 122 really. And since the last fight was somewhat controversial, why not do it again?

Health reasons.
Big Slim Sweet
I'd love to see a 4th fight, but give it time. Nov-Dec at the earliest. PLEASE let these guys take it easy for 6-9 months or so.

I'd give the Barrera-Morales trilogy the edge by a hair. My overall order:

1 Barrera-Morales 1
2 Vazquez-Marquez 3
3 Barrera-Morales 3
4 Vazquez-Marquez 2
5 Vazquez-Marquez 1
6 Barrera-Morales 2
Byrd Man
no love for Gatti/Ward? shameful
Mean Mister Mustard
Gatti-Ward was a great fight, but overall the pinpoint accuracy of MAB-Morales punches made the fights more brutal. But the Gatti-Ward fights were great fights, even the 2nd one was fun because we didn't know whether Gatti would suddenly get caught and dropped.

I we are still too excited about what we saw on saturday. Same thing happened after Corrales-Castillo, people were saying it was the best fight ever. Then things cooled off and as good a fight as it was, people realized they were going overboard just a little bit.
BigG
I agree that Morales-MAB is still greatest trilogy ever to me.
gods son
This fight made my weekend, it actaully made me forget some issues i was going through ..AMAZING!!
Those two deserved more $$$ than what ibrag and Klitch received?

salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 3 2008, 11:33 AM) [snapback]381101[/snapback]
I honestly can say that I do not want to see a 4th.

But what if Marquez won by ko? Would that make it worth it?

I think that both could retire comfortably with the money they'd make for a 4th. Theyd suffer a lot, but maybe less than they would fighting a handful of lesser fighters for the same money.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(joeminnifield @ Mar 3 2008, 12:09 PM) [snapback]381106[/snapback]
I AM NOT HERE TO TALK BOXING I AM HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS.

Does this muthaf*cker remind anyone of that Jermaine cat.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Mar 3 2008, 12:45 PM) [snapback]381113[/snapback]
no love for Gatti/Ward? shameful

Gatti/Ward were great fights but they did not have no where near the skill level of Marquez/Vasquez and MAB/Morales.
JD
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 3 2008, 02:43 PM) [snapback]381125[/snapback]
But what if Marquez won by ko? Would that make it worth it?

I think that both could retire comfortably with the money they'd make for a 4th. Theyd suffer a lot, but maybe less than they would fighting a handful of lesser fighters for the same money.

Regardless of outcome, I thought 3 was enough...I feel that way more strongly after having seen the 3rd fight.
rusty_trombone
I think I liked this trilogy better than MAB - Morales, just because the brutalilty level was so much higher. Vasquez had his face destroyed in all three of those fights, I mean the amount of punishment he took and to come out and have a twelth round like that was just amazing. That was some Rocky movie type shit.
BrutalBodyShots
I think the Barrera-Morales trilogy edges out Vasquez-Marquez.

Who do you guys like in mythical matchups between Vasquez-Barrera and Vasquez-Morales at 122? And Marquez against those two as well at 122?

I think Barrera would fight to the distance in close fights with both guys at 122, probably winning close decisions.

I think Morales would have a very good chance at 122 of stopping Marquez in the middle rounds (similar to Marquez-Vasquez II) and I would also take him over Vasquez, possibly by stoppage as well. Morales had good power at 122 and skills to go along with it... and he could take a shot extremely well also.

hardhead
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 4 2008, 12:19 AM) [snapback]381149[/snapback]
That's what I think. Like I said, I don't want to be the guy that bashes everything, but the same thing happened to Corrales-Castillo. I think coming on the board ruins the fights for me, because like Vasquez-Marquez III and Corrales-Castillo. We didn't get the fight down here, so I read the results. After hearing everybody in the fight, I'm already going into the fight with really high expectations. I actually watched Corrales-Castillo about 2 weeks ago, along with Morales-Barrera I, as I have a friend who is getting into boxing and is asking me to put on all the good ones. But yeah, I thought the 10th round really made that fight, that round changed the fight from a very good fight, to a great fight. My friend enjoyed the Morales-Barrera fight over Corrales-Castillo as well. Morales-Barrera I was great period, it didn't need knockdowns or anything to give it that edge. Also watching them, you are like "fuck, these guys really hate each other".

For me there's a big difference seeing a fight live, then when you don't see a fight live and you know the results and watch it afterwards. I think it definitely can effect some of that initial magic of the fight and not be the same for a person that did see it live.

If I don't see a fight live I try not to go looking for the results unless I know I'm not going to be watching it for a long period of time afterwards because it does take away some of that magic for me.

Corrales/Castillo was the best fight I've ever watched live(and overall), and I say that now as I had right after the fight. Morales/Barrera is probably right behind it, if not 3rd(Bowe/Holyfield I was one of the first big action fights I remember watching live and I think I rank it 2nd). With those fights they were all so fucking great it's pretty much like splitting hairs(and all of this is personal opinion, some favor certain factors over others). One could say that they enjoyed Barrera/Morales more because they were two guys at a higher level then a Castillo/Corrales(just as someone mentioned that as a reason why this tirlogy and MAB/Morales is ahead of Gatti/Ward). Don't get me wrong Castilo/Corrales were not slouches but Morales and Barrera were two future HOFers going toe to toe. Castillo I'm not sure(Corrales can't add to his legacy obviously), for me though what gives that fight the edge was the sustained action from round 3 on, round after round culminating in that last round(I think it was a little more action/exchanges then MAB/Morales , plus the dramatic 10th round with the knockdowns and Corrales coming back, it was basically both guys trading non stop in the trenches. I guess you could say for me the Castillo/Corrales had almost a Rocky feel to it in the last few rounds with the KD's mouthpiece etc...

All this talk I'm about to go watch both of these fights... thumbsup_anim.gif
hardhead
I also think this a trilogy as a whole was a little better then Morales/Barrera(MAB/Barrera I, was the best fight of the six, I think me and bazzoka agreed on that), strongly because of their 2nd fight, that fight was pretty lackluster, especially compared to the 1st(and the 3rd). I'm not even sure that Morales/Barrera III was better then Marquez/Vazquez II. With the Vazquez/Marquez fight though each one got better and better and built off the next it seemed, the first was a great action fight but the 2nd was more action packed then the 1st but then the 3rd just bascially topped the 1st and the 2nd...
hardhead
Anyway, forget about comparing lets just appreciate these great warriors, was anybody else thinking of Meldrick Taylor/Julio Ceasar Chavez in that last round?? I was, and it nearly happened too...Crazy stuff...
Big Slim Sweet
I still say Corrales-Castillo was the greatest fight I've ever seen. Of course the drama of the 10th was what pushed it over the edge. Without that it still would have been a terrific fight, but not the kind of special moment that I'll remember forever.

I honestly don't think another sporting event will ever match that one for me. I wanted to go out and sprint around the block afterwards.
Mino
Just watched the fight, couldnt watch it over the weekend, but was 1 hell of a fight, the likes of which boxing needs more..As for part 4 would love to see it, but dont think its in the best interest od either of them, those lil dudes will kill each other...watchin that shit gave me the chills, and reminded me of Chico Castillo which I still say is the best I have ever seen
Bazooka Limon
Thank God for Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 3 2008, 11:04 PM) [snapback]381161[/snapback]
I think the Barrera-Morales trilogy edges out Vasquez-Marquez.

Who do you guys like in mythical matchups between Vasquez-Barrera and Vasquez-Morales at 122? And Marquez against those two as well at 122?

I think Barrera would fight to the distance in close fights with both guys at 122, probably winning close decisions.

I think Morales would have a very good chance at 122 of stopping Marquez in the middle rounds (similar to Marquez-Vasquez II) and I would also take him over Vasquez, possibly by stoppage as well. Morales had good power at 122 and skills to go along with it... and he could take a shot extremely well also.

I would agree that both Morales and Barrera would probably both beat Vasquez and Marquez, probably all by ko - assuming that Barrera came to fight rather than box.

But to me the main difference in the two sets of trilogies is that Barrera took the second fight off (at least the drama fell off in a big way) whereas Vasquez and Marquez went all out every round of all three fights. And the fact that Vaszquez and Marquez each got kos, and the fact that the 3rd fight ended so perfectly, I'd just have to give the series edge to Vasquez and Marquez.

JD, I understand what you are saying, and if they both had a ton of money they should both retire because neither has what the came into the ring with 12 months ago. But neither is going to retire and a fourth fight would probably mean more money for each of them than they could make in 3 fights unless they moved up in weight to 130.

JD
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 4 2008, 07:37 AM) [snapback]381177[/snapback]
JD, I understand what you are saying, and if they both had a ton of money they should both retire because neither has what the came into the ring with 12 months ago. But neither is going to retire and a fourth fight would probably mean more money for each of them than they could make in 3 fights unless they moved up in weight to 130.

Wouldn't you rather they go on and fight Caballero, DeLeon or Molitor?

No, those fights won't be as entertaining for us - but they will be for titles, and they will cause a lot less longterm damage to each of them.
salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 4 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]381178[/snapback]
Wouldn't you rather they go on and fight Caballero, DeLeon or Molitor?

No, those fights won't be as entertaining for us - but they will be for titles, and they will cause a lot less longterm damage to each of them.

I don't think there's nearly the same amount of money in any of those fights. I suppose I'd like to see these guys win a few easy matches - and I think both Vasquez and Marquez take DeLeon all day - not sure about Molitor or Caballero. But with the exception of DeLeon, I don't think any of those fights would be main events - even on Showtime. Maybe I'm wrong.

The main thing is that Vasquez is 30 and Marquez is almost 33, and neither of those guys have many fights left in them. (Marquez could probably pull a BArrera and outbox anyone at 122 if he wanted to, but I don't think Vasquez could.) I understand your point and I'm grateful to both and definitely want to see them walk away from the sport in the best possible shape, but it just seems to me that if they just did it one more time they would probably both be able to retire comfortably - assuming that they are being taken care of by their management. And I'm not convinced that the risk associated with fighting each other one more time is any greater than getting in the ring three more times with contenders.

I just think that it's so hard to get people interested in the smaller fighters that as long as they have the hype right now, they might as well take advantage of it. Maybe I'm just rationalizing my selfishness.

JD
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 4 2008, 08:48 AM) [snapback]381180[/snapback]
I don't think there's nearly the same amount of money in any of those fights. I suppose I'd like to see these guys win a few easy matches - and I think both Vasquez and Marquez take DeLeon all day - not sure about Molitor or Caballero. But with the exception of DeLeon, I don't think any of those fights would be main events - even on Showtime. Maybe I'm wrong.

The main thing is that Vasquez is 30 and Marquez is almost 33, and neither of those guys have many fights left in them. (Marquez could probably pull a BArrera and outbox anyone at 122 if he wanted to, but I don't think Vasquez could.) I understand your point and I'm grateful to both and definitely want to see them walk away from the sport in the best possible shape, but it just seems to me that if they just did it one more time they would probably both be able to retire comfortably - assuming that they are being taken care of by their management. And I'm not convinced that the risk associated with fighting each other one more time is any greater than getting in the ring three more times with contenders.

I just think that it's so hard to get people interested in the smaller fighters that as long as they have the hype right now, they might as well take advantage of it. Maybe I'm just rationalizing my selfishness.

You are right...not the money, nor the public interest...but I am just looking at this from the perspective of a guy who appreciates all three of these fights and does not want to see these guys damage each other anymore.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 4 2008, 09:48 AM) [snapback]381180[/snapback]

I think Deleon would trouble anyone at 122lb because of his power and Caballero's height would give them trouble aswell, but I think both Marquez and Vasquez could take Molitor rather easly.
BigG
De Leon is garbage dude. MArauez and Vazquez would fuck him up.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 4 2008, 03:44 PM) [snapback]381206[/snapback]
De Leon is garbage dude. MArauez and Vazquez would fuck him up.

I agree that they woudl beat him but Marquez regardless of all his skill and power has a pretty bad chin. De leon may not be the most skilled guy out there but he sure can punch.

I i'll take Marquez over Deleon all im saying is that his power could trouble alot of guys at 122lb.
BrutalBodyShots
Know what I think is funny... if Marquez were to fight a more disciplined fight and not engage Vasquez on the inside I would pick him to win every time and rather easily. Basically what Marquez did for the first 4-5 rounds. All he needs to do is use that jab and every 20-30 seconds fire off a 4-5 punch combo while at that distance. If he would simply take a Ruiz, Hatton or Klitschko page and tie up Vasquez on the inside to get a referee break Marquez would probably win 9 rounds in a 12 round fight and convincingly beat Vasquez...

But that wouldn't make Marquez Marquez I suppose... and would be much less crowd pleasing.

I just think it's funny that he could actually beat Vasquez pretty easily in my estimation with just a subtle change in game plan.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 4 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]381184[/snapback]
You are right...not the money, nor the public interest...but I am just looking at this from the perspective of a guy who appreciates all three of these fights and does not want to see these guys damage each other anymore.

yeah, vasquez face has been pummeled in all 3 of these fights. i don't know if they can even fix what marquez has done to his nose, he makes it explode every fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 4 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]381251[/snapback]
Know what I think is funny... if Marquez were to fight a more disciplined fight and not engage Vasquez on the inside I would pick him to win every time and rather easily. Basically what Marquez did for the first 4-5 rounds. All he needs to do is use that jab and every 20-30 seconds fire off a 4-5 punch combo while at that distance. If he would simply take a Ruiz, Hatton or Klitschko page and tie up Vasquez on the inside to get a referee break Marquez would probably win 9 rounds in a 12 round fight and convincingly beat Vasquez...

But that wouldn't make Marquez Marquez I suppose... and would be much less crowd pleasing.

I just think it's funny that he could actually beat Vasquez pretty easily in my estimation with just a subtle change in game plan.

The problem is that Vasquez is like the energizer bunny he keeps going and going.
Nobudius
Like many Mexican fighters, Marquez fights fire with fire. But I'd give more credit to Vasquez-he doesn't allow Marquez to fight that "disciplined" fight. I do agree on paper, it looks like Marquez has more advantages than Vasquez. But it's amazing what relentless pressure and intangibles can do, b/c it tosses those advantages out the window.

Marquez also lacks the pop to keep him off-he could slice him up, stagger him, but just can't put him away.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 5 2008, 01:15 AM) [snapback]381262[/snapback]
The problem is that Vasquez is like the energizer bunny he keeps going and going.

That's not the problem - the problem is that Marquez allows Vasquez to get off his best work on the inside. If Marquez were to tie him up Vasquez wouldn't get his shots off and the referee would break them putting them back at a distance that better suits Marquez.

Either way Vasquez is going to keep coming; the only factor is that once he gets there (inside) whether or not Marquez opts to take punishment. Due to the kind of fighter he is with that Mexican Pride and all he likes to mix it up, and that is ultimately his downfall when he fights Vasquez.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Mar 5 2008, 10:24 AM) [snapback]381279[/snapback]
Marquez also lacks the pop to keep him off-he could slice him up, stagger him, but just can't put him away.

Marquez certainly doesn't lack pop, I think that's just a testament to how fucking tough and what a beard Vasquez has. He ate shots that would decapitate most men.
Nobudius
I never said Marquez lacked pop. I said he lacks the pop to keep Vasquez off.

Granted, maybe his power isn't there since he moved up? Too early to tell.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Mar 5 2008, 08:47 PM) [snapback]381347[/snapback]
Granted, maybe his power isn't there since he moved up? Too early to tell.

Maybe, he looked like he was cracking pretty fucking hard in there. I think Vasquez just has an ungodly chin and great recovery ability.
torvix2000
Vasquez was Pac's sparring partner before Pac moved up to 130. I have a clip of Pac tagging Vasquez with a shot to the rib... Vasquez froze and asked Pac for a few seconds time off and then asked Pac to have another go. They were damn SMILING inflicting pain on one another.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 6 2008, 12:13 AM) [snapback]381354[/snapback]
Vasquez was Pac's sparring partner before Pac moved up to 130. I have a clip of Pac tagging Vasquez with a shot to the rib... Vasquez froze and asked Pac for a few seconds time off and then asked Pac to have another go. They were damn SMILING inflicting pain on one another.

Sparring doesn't mean anything. Im not saying Vasquez would whoop Pac but it's awhole different ball game when it's a prize fight.

I've heard stories of certian fighters beating the sh*t out of his sparring partner to only get whooped during an actual fight.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 6 2008, 12:52 AM) [snapback]381360[/snapback]
Sparring doesn't mean anything. Im not saying Vasquez would whoop Pac but it's awhole different ball game when it's a prize fight.

I've heard stories of certian fighters beating the sh*t out of his sparring partner to only get whooped during an actual fight.

I think he was referring to Vasquez's ability to take a shot.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Vasquez' resiliency is more impressive than his chin. There were many times that Marquez would light him up with a combo that would buckle Vasquez' knees and within 2-3 seconds Vasquez was recovered 100%. I think Vasquez and Marquez has similar "chins" that is their ability to take a shot, it's just that Vasquez can recover in seconds while it takes Marquez a good 10-20 seconds to fully recoop. The knockdown in the 4th round of the 3rd fight is a perfect example of Vasquez' resiliency... he was hurt when he went down but by the time the fight resumed he was actually the stronger fighter.

ghost13
I scored it for Marquez by a point. Would of been happy with a draw. But can't really complain with Vazquez winning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.