Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peter-Maskaev... Preview Thread and Poll!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
BigG
So does anyone care for this fight?

I think Peter wont have much trouble with the slow Maskaev. I expect an early KO via right hand.
rusty_trombone
i hope maskaev wins, all because I met the worlds biggest Maskaev fan at a bar one night. He was the only one cheering when Maskaev put Rahman through the ropes again. He also only cheered when Maskaev threw the right hand, he didn't care about any of the lefts Maskaev landed.
Byrd Man
I hope Oleg knocks him out. Purely selfish reasons though, as I have him in my fantasy league! lol
D-MARV
I more excited about seeing Juan Diaz Fight!

but for the record I hope Maskaev KTFO Peter. Im getting sick of hearing how Sam Peter is going to save the Heavyweight division. But if I were a betting man my money is on Peter within 5!

"Tony Thompson" the future heavyweight champ!!!!!!
salvador
I love Maskaev just because he's so fucking tough. The fact that he was able to come back from the Sanders ko is almost unbelievable. That said, I have no idea how he can beat Peter. He's not fast enough to get away from Peter's shots and at some point Maskaev's getting ko'd - I'll be pulling for him though.
salvador
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 3 2008, 11:43 PM) [snapback]381163[/snapback]
I more excited about seeing Juan Diaz Fight!

I'm with you on that. I have a wierd feeling on this. For some reason I think Campbell's gonna pull it off.
Chi-Town
I'm mildly excited about both fights....everyone knows that Juan Diaz is an exciting fighter who is stepping into his prime right now....what's there not to get excited about. On the Maskaev-Peter fight, I'm excited about that one too for a couple of reasons. First, I think that a lot of people misjudge Peter. Some people try to annoint him the Savior of the Heavyweight division, while others simply blow him off as nothing special...I on the other hand think that both views are unfair. As most attentive boxing fans know, heavyweights take a long time to mature and hit their peak. Sam Peter is a work in progress and he has to be viewed that way...its unfair to expect him to be a "world beater" right now. Starting with the first Toney fight he has shown constant improvement in his skills and has shown up in much better shape every time out, regardless of what the current HW scene is like, thats all you can really expect from a 27 year old heavyweight with very limited amateur experience. Contrary to what some of you that hate on people for no good reason seem to believe, I was impressed by the way he handled the adversity he was presented with against McCline, a situation he had never faced before and it will ultimately serve him well down the road. Beyond all that, Maskaev deserves an ass kicking for the way he blatantly tried to duck Peter.
TheWhiteBuffalo
I hope the same Sam Peter shows up as the one who fought Jameel McCline. If that is the case, Oleg has a major shot at winning.

If Sam Peter learned from his mistakes, there is no way Oleg has the tools to win. But this is the Heavyweight division and one punch can change everything. I am excited over this fight because I want to gauge how Sam looks. If he struggles, it is night-night at the hands of Vitali.

John Ruiz vs Jameel McCline on the undercard is a major bonus too.
streetlion1
Sam peter K.O.'s Maskaev within 8 or so.
STEVENSKI
This is another $45 PPV in OZ. That means a pass for me.
salvador
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Mar 4 2008, 11:49 AM) [snapback]381195[/snapback]
Beyond all that, Maskaev deserves an ass kicking for the way he blatantly tried to duck Peter.

Yeah, but I give him the benefit of the doubt because the truth is Maskaev has no business fighting either Peter or Klit. Maskaev is a slow, tough as hell, B-level Russian heavyweight who beat an overhyped Rahman. If I was him I'd be looking for the biggest possible payday too, because this will be his last fight. He's a journeyman who, thanks to hard work and extreme overachieving, hit the lottery. And Klit would have been at least $1MM bigger paycheck - probably his first and only $1MM payday.

salvador
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Mar 4 2008, 12:10 PM) [snapback]381197[/snapback]
John Ruiz vs Jameel McCline on the undercard is a major bonus too.

Are we going to get to see that? I figured we'd just get the Diaz-Campbell fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Peter has a lot riding on this fight. He either has to dominate Maskaev or blow him out early and impressively. Peter needs to redeem himself in the eyes of many fans and media from his near loss to McCline. Honeslty I don't really think he looked all that bad, at least he survived the knockdowns. This should also show us whether Peter is that big a puncher.
xxxxxx
I'm looking forword to this fight.I think Peter is a top 5 Heavyweight who packs a good punch.Another good thing about Peter is the fact that he's willing to fight all challengers.Peter needs work, but has the tools to knock anybody out in the Heavyweight division.A Vitaly-Peter match could be entertaining as long as Vitali could get healthy.
BrutalBodyShots
If Jameel "Peed my trunks" McCline was able to give Peter all he could handle, Peter certainly has a CHANCE.

I consider Maskaev to be a better caliber fighter than McCline and he can punch if nothing else... Had McCline been a slightly better fighter he would have finished Peter off and we wouldn't even be discussing Peter-Maskaev. That said, Peter SHOULD win but it certainly isn't a lock being that you're only as good as your last performance. Peter's last performance sucked.

D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 4 2008, 09:12 PM) [snapback]381250[/snapback]
. That said, Peter SHOULD win but it certainly isn't a lock being that you're only as good as your last performance. Peter's last performance sucked.

If Maskaev can land a big shot then this fight can be a good one. Peter's Chin is Suspect!
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 4 2008, 10:12 PM) [snapback]381250[/snapback]
If Jameel "Peed my trunks" McCline was able to give Peter all he could handle, Peter certainly has a CHANCE.

I consider Maskaev to be a better caliber fighter than McCline and he can punch if nothing else... Had McCline been a slightly better fighter he would have finished Peter off and we wouldn't even be discussing Peter-Maskaev. That said, Peter SHOULD win but it certainly isn't a lock being that you're only as good as your last performance. Peter's last performance sucked.

Maskaev's a tough as hell journeyman who doesn't belong in the same ring with a legit contender. The question is whether or not Peter is a legit contender.
Jack 1000
Thanks George for this post! I will add a poll to it.

Jack
Jack 1000
The thing with Peter,

Is that when you least expect him to have a tough fight, he has a tough fight. The McCline match, which was supposed to be a glorified sparring session almost turned into a disaster with Peter all but knocked down mutiple times and almost stopped early in the fight. The problem was McCline remembered, "I'm in here as a sparring partner, so I better back off on knocking him out." I have never seen more of a lack of killer instinct, stupidity in an opponent, weak stamina, or all three in such an opponent as McCline. At least from round 4-12, McCline got the sparring session back that he wanted, and the boring fight that nobody wants. This is why the heavyweight division today is such crap! Belt holders you can't pronounce, contenders and belt holders who don't care if they win or lose and any ranking divisions' "Top 10" is near impossible to decipher. Nobody cares about the present heavyweights because there is no domination or excitement in this division. All the heavyweights today are well below average at best. 75% of the rest suck!

So with Peter, it depends on which guy shows up. If the version that fought McCline is in there, Maskiev has a shot because he is a big, strong determined fighter, nothing else. Peter's a big heavyweight who hits hard, but now has a suspect chin. Probably the most mechanical heavyweight since "Throw single shot hay-makers, and lean on the guy instead of finishing him off." Razor Ruddock. Sam has skills and power, but he doesn't use them enough. I think that Peter's strength and power will take him to a UD. But I am not overly confident. I will give Sam a 55% of winning and Maskiev a 45% chance.

Jack
Imperius3
Maskaev is old and inactive, and Peter should beat him. Based on Peter's last fight, Maskaev does have a chance. Peter showed he might have a suspect chin. However, Maskaev has shown in the past that his chin is suspect as well. He's been brutally knocked out five times.

If Peter lands cleanly enough (and I think he will) he will stop Maskaev in 8.

Peter TKO 8
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 6 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]381371[/snapback]
However, Maskaev has shown in the past that his chin is suspect as well. He's been brutally knocked out five times.

If Peter lands cleanly enough (and I think he will) he will stop Maskaev in 8.

Peter TKO 8

Maskaev's knockout losses all came from the mid 90's until 2002 - none of them were recent. Recently he fought Rahman who hits hard and Maskaev took his shots well. I don't think Maskaev's chin is all too suspect. I think around 2000-2002 Maskaev was just having a shitty run, but as of now he hasn't lost since then.

I'm not saying he can't be knocked out and obviously he very well can be, but pointing to his KO losses 6-12 years ago doesn't mean all too much.

Byrd Man
Maskaev in an upset!
Imperius3
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 6 2008, 10:13 AM) [snapback]381396[/snapback]
Maskaev's knockout losses all came from the mid 90's until 2002 - none of them were recent. Recently he fought Rahman who hits hard and Maskaev took his shots well. I don't think Maskaev's chin is all too suspect. I think around 2000-2002 Maskaev was just having a shitty run, but as of now he hasn't lost since then.

I'm not saying he can't be knocked out and obviously he very well can be, but pointing to his KO losses 6-12 years ago doesn't mean all too much.

If you look closely, you'll notice that Maskaev has been knocked out all by young fighters. 4 out of the 5 fighters were below the age of 30 (Tua, Johnson, Whitaker, and Sanders), while Oliver McCall was 30. Peter is 27 years old, the same age as Sanders when he knocked out Maskaev (Maskaev's last loss). Interestingly enough Maskaev has not fought a fighter below the age of 30 since Sanders (except for Livin Castillo who was 29, but he was a former light heavy and cruiserweight).

This doesn't guarantee anything, but sometimes the best indicator for the future is the past. Maskaev has a history of getting knocked out by young fighters. Peter has a very good chance of stopping Maskaev.
JD
Peter by stoppage in the 9th or so...but not without being buzzed.
Big Slim Sweet
Peter early and easy. It's gonna be a slaughter. Maskeav's only coming for the paycheck.
TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 7 2008, 01:03 AM) [snapback]381455[/snapback]
Peter early and easy. It's gonna be a slaughter. Maskeav's only coming for the paycheck.

I can guarantee you, despite all of Maskaev's faults, that he is certainly a very live opponent and is coming to win. Maskaev is a a courageous fighter, albeit a very limited one.

Ref/doctor stoppage....Peter wins around the 7th round due to cuts.
hardhead
For some strange reason I'm kind of looking forward to this fight, man do we need a good heavyweight fight after that last one. I'm just thinking because Maskaev is a plodder who will stand in front of Peter and with Peter basically a pretty crude fighter himself we might have a pretty exciting styles matchup, not much speed but probably lots of power as both guys can punch and Maskeav has been knocked out in all five of his losses. Hopefully it ends in brutal KO fashion which I'm pretty sure it will...
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 5 2008, 12:03 PM) [snapback]381295[/snapback]
The thing with Peter,

Is that when you least expect him to have a tough fight, he has a tough fight. The McCline match, which was supposed to be a glorified sparring session almost turned into a disaster with Peter all but knocked down mutiple times and almost stopped early in the fight. The problem was McCline remembered, "I'm in here as a sparring partner, so I better back off on knocking him out." I have never seen more of a lack of killer instinct, stupidity in an opponent, weak stamina, or all three in such an opponent as McCline. At least from round 4-12, McCline got the sparring session back that he wanted, and the boring fight that nobody wants. This is why the heavyweight division today is such crap! Belt holders you can't pronounce, contenders and belt holders who don't care if they win or lose and any ranking divisions' "Top 10" is near impossible to decipher. Nobody cares about the present heavyweights because there is no domination or excitement in this division. All the heavyweights today are well below average at best. 75% of the rest suck!

So with Peter, it depends on which guy shows up. If the version that fought McCline is in there, Maskiev has a shot because he is a big, strong determined fighter, nothing else. Peter's a big heavyweight who hits hard, but now has a suspect chin. Probably the most mechanical heavyweight since "Throw single shot hay-makers, and lean on the guy instead of finishing him off." Razor Ruddock. Sam has skills and power, but he doesn't use them enough. I think that Peter's strength and power will take him to a UD. But I am not overly confident. I will give Sam a 55% of winning and Maskiev a 45% chance.

Jack

I say again....the McCline that showed up to fight Sam Peter was not the same Jameel McCline that lost to the likes of Calvin Brock...so I think it was actually a combination of a "better-than-usual" McCline showing up and a fatter than usual Sam Peter Showing up. He's coming in lighter this fight, but I still think 250 is too much for him to weigh going into the big fight he's been waiting over a year for.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 6 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]381442[/snapback]
Haha. That's a nice little fun fact that Brutal usually comes up with. Brutal is good at finding fun facts like that.

LOL interesting information.

kidbazooka1
Peter by KO late in the fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.