Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jose Luis Castillo/Timothy Bradley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Elijah
#1 contender Timothy "Desert Storm" Bradley (21-0, 11 KOs) weighed 143.5 lbs at his seven-day weigh-in, well below the 147 lbs. maximum allowed for Saturday's WBC super lightweight title elimination bout against #2 rated Jose Luis Castillo in Cancun. Castillo (56-8-1, 48 KOs) in his last WBC report, did not include his seven-day weight. The former two-time lightweight champion Castillo, who has a history of not making weight for fights, reportedly weighed 151 lbs at his 30-day weigh-in, leading to rampant speculation that he may struggling to make the 140lb weight limit.
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The rules are explicit and we expect the WBC to enforce them," said Gary Shaw, Bradley's co-promoter. "I've been down this road too many times with Castillo and I will not tolerate it again. Castillo, his manager and promoter have a responsibility to adhere to the rules and the WBC is equally accountable to enforce them. It's the only way to maintain a level playing field for both fighters. Bradley is fighting a very popular ex-WBC champion in his own backyard, I don't think we're asking too much. All parties know Castillo's history for not making weight. I'm confident the WBC will make sure Castillo and his team don't try to manipulate the scale at the official weigh-in like they did for the first rematch with Diego Corrales. How it got to this point, four days from the fight, is incomprehensible and inexcusable." Bradley is promoted by Gary Shaw Productions and Thompson Boxing Promotions.

Assuming Castillo makes weight this is a fight I really wanna see. Anyone know if HBO plans on showing it Saturday or are they at least going to show highlights of the bout?
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Elijah @ Mar 4 2008, 12:49 PM) [snapback]381203[/snapback]
#1 contender Timothy "Desert Storm" Bradley (21-0, 11 KOs) weighed 143.5 lbs at his seven-day weigh-in, well below the 147 lbs. maximum allowed for Saturday's WBC super lightweight title elimination bout against #2 rated Jose Luis Castillo in Cancun. Castillo (56-8-1, 48 KOs) in his last WBC report, did not include his seven-day weight. The former two-time lightweight champion Castillo, who has a history of not making weight for fights, reportedly weighed 151 lbs at his 30-day weigh-in, leading to rampant speculation that he may struggling to make the 140lb weight limit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The rules are explicit and we expect the WBC to enforce them," said Gary Shaw, Bradley's co-promoter. "I've been down this road too many times with Castillo and I will not tolerate it again. Castillo, his manager and promoter have a responsibility to adhere to the rules and the WBC is equally accountable to enforce them. It's the only way to maintain a level playing field for both fighters. Bradley is fighting a very popular ex-WBC champion in his own backyard, I don't think we're asking too much. All parties know Castillo's history for not making weight. I'm confident the WBC will make sure Castillo and his team don't try to manipulate the scale at the official weigh-in like they did for the first rematch with Diego Corrales. How it got to this point, four days from the fight, is incomprehensible and inexcusable." Bradley is promoted by Gary Shaw Productions and Thompson Boxing Promotions.
Assuming Castillo makes weight this is a fight I really wanna see. Anyone know if HBO plans on showing it Saturday or are they at least going to show highlights of the bout?

I really want to see it too...but highly unlikely, HBO is known for "banishing" fighters they deem to be on the downslide....plus if they had been planning to make this a 3 fight card we would have certainly heard by now. In any event, the off TV bouts will probably be live on the internet.
Elijah
Considering the amount of crap undercard bouts HBO has shown this is one they SHOULD be showing.

This has potential to be a great fight, where can I catch it on the internet?
Milk Dud
my guess is they will show highlights of it

have you guys checked to see if DKP is going to stream the UC? They have been of late
WindyCityP
I would check out yahoo sports early. They've been showing a lot of untelevised HBO and PPV undercards. Especially DK cards. Of course you have to suffer through the Col. Sherdians commentary.
ghost13
Not sure if this fight will even take place. Castillo seems to be having trouble making weight again
Elijah
This guy is pathetic.

Former world champion Jose Luis Castillo has pulled out of his WBC junior welterweight eliminator with #1 rated Timothy Bradley on Saturday night's Maskaev-Peter undercard in Cancun. Castillo said stomach pains prevented him from losing the final three pounds required to make the 140lb limit. "I am very sorry, I feel depleted," stated Castillo. "I think it would be for the best. I don't want for anything in the world to hurt this sport....last night I had increasingly intense pains and my trainer and the doctor suggested I cancel the fight for my own safety." Castillo and his team returned this afternoon to Mexicali.

Well, I guess I don't have to be disappointed they're not showing the match on tv now.

I would imagine he'll be suspended for quite a while pullin this crap again.
BigG
Castillo is done...he needs to retire. A great fighter at Lightweight a few years ago...now a old fighter who cant make weight in the weight class hes supposed to fight in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.