Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hatton vs Lazcano
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_8484269

El Paso native Juan Lazcano signs to fight Hatton
By Bill Knight / El Paso Times

It is now officially a go, contract signed, deal done.

El Paso native Juan Lazcano will fight England's darling, Ricky Hatton, for the IBO light welterweight title May 24 in Hatton's hometown of Manchester, England.

"It's done," Lazcano said. "I signed the contract today. It's a great thing. It's going to be a great fight."

There was a brief delay in ironing out the final details. London also was bidding for the fight, but it will end up in Manchester Stadium.

Chuckling, the former Bowie student said, "Manchester Stadium. Should be nice and calm in there. It only seats 40, 45,000. It should be quite a crowd, quite an atmosphere."

Hatton (43-1, 31 KOs) has a legendary following. Thousands followed him to Las Vegas in December to watch him suffer the first loss of his career, a 10th round TKO to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Lazcano, 33, is 37-4-1 (27 KOs) and has been idle since losing a decision to Vivian Harris on Feb. 20, 2007 in a WBC light welterweight title eliminator.

"I think everything I've been through has prepared me mentally and spiritually for this fight," said Lazcano, who now lives in Sacramento, Calif.

Chuckling again, he added, "I've had some troubles along the way. But I've managed to stay afloat, managed to keep my head above the water."

Lazcano fought Jose Luis Castillo for the world title in 2004, losing a decision.

"I think Showtime is looking at this fight," Lazcano said. "Hatton has a deal with HBO, but I don't think it includes this fight.

Anyway, it's a go. Green light. Contract signed. Here we go, baby, once again."

BigG
Hatton's gonna win....then hopefully he fights Paulie next. And hopefully Paulie beats his ass...
Chi-Town
Probably, but I read somewhere that Hatton didn't even want this fight, he wanted someone much softer. If Hatton had trouble with Collazo and Urango, I certainly give Lazcano a decent chance
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah, Hatton takes this one, he's bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled. Hopefully he'll give Witter a shot if he beats Malignaggi.
and the NEW
I always liked Lazcano. Will give Ricky a tough fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 7 2008, 03:57 AM) [snapback]381464[/snapback]
And hopefully Paulie beats his ass...

That ain't gonna happen. nono.gif
BigG
Paulie can make Hatton look bad.
Maxy
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 7 2008, 09:46 PM) [snapback]381520[/snapback]
Paulie can make Hatton look bad.

Not as bad as Mayweather did. laugh.gif

Anyway I'm sick of Hatton not fighting Witter now. I could understand it before when he wanted to chase Mayweather into a fight but now there is no excuse.

He owes it to the UK fans IMO.
D-MARV
Im not mad at Hatton for not fighting Witter right after the Mayweather fight. I think Hatton should take 1 or 2 fights first, then fight Witter.
dbdbdb
Lazcano had better be ready for elbows, rabbit punches, holding & hitting and whatever else, because the refs will let hatton get away with anything & everything in Manchester.

Hatton in Manchester = Win
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Lazcano's career hasn't panned out the way it was supposed to. He was favored to beat Castillo, but lost a close one. He nearly pulled off the win against Harris, but blew it in the last couple rounds. Not to mention he got a complete gift against Garnica. It's kind of funny how three years ago he was challenging DLH, after having problems with him in Texas on the Barrera-Fana card. Now he's fighting a Golden Boy fighter in Hatton, and it's going to be in Hatton's hometown though. Who knows, maybe Lazcano can ressurect a career, and live up to the potential. His style matches well against Hatton, and who knows what the mental/physical effects will be for Hatton after the Mayweather fight.
Kyle
Bazooka Limon
Lazcano KO1 Hatton. It will happen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.