Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hype Q&A - 3/10/08
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
Okay fellow monkeys...I need a break from work and feel like monkeying around so......

If you got a question for me...fire away. No topic is off limits (and yes...that includes any BTalk questions) so if there's anything you were ever curious about, now's the time to ask. You're window of opportunity is limited though so get me the question and I'll answer it as best I can.
moscow bear
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 10 2008, 08:40 PM) [snapback]381935[/snapback]
Okay fellow monkeys...I need a break from work and feel like monkeying around so......

If you got a question for me...fire away. No topic is off limits (and yes...that includes any BTalk questions) so if there's anything you were ever curious about, now's the time to ask. You're window of opportunity is limited though so get me the question and I'll answer it as best I can.

ok since I am the first, I will ask the smartest question: What is Greg Leon's favorite position?
MarzB
Whats up Hype:

Winky Wrights site looks very similar in layout to BT's. Well your 'hancock' is at the bottom of the site so its obvious you did it. Based on your comments about Winky in the other thread, I suspect something went wrong with your relationship with him. Am I right??

Second question: Does making a boxing site a "PAY SITE" help or hinder the site? Will Fighthype ever turn into a paysite??
thehype
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Mar 10 2008, 03:55 PM) [snapback]381936[/snapback]
ok since I am the first, I will ask the smartest question: What is Greg Leon's favorite position?

LOL

You'll have to ask that question to the chick he keeps on the leash.
thehype
QUOTE(MarzB @ Mar 10 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]381939[/snapback]
Whats up Hype:

Winky Wrights site looks very similar in layout to BT's. Well your 'hancock' is at the bottom of the site so its obvious you did it. Based on your comments about Winky in the other thread, I suspect something went wrong with your relationship with him. Am I right??

Nope...I have no problem with Wink. He's got my number...he can hit me up any time. Of course, he probably won't since he still owes me $300, but that's besides the point. I've got no personal problems with Wink at all.

Now, I can't lie, like most boxing fans, I get tired of hearing him beg for a fight with Oscar...but other than that, no problem with him at all. Incidentally, if he wants that fight with Oscar so bad, maybe he should do something that Oscar couldn't do and go beat the crap out of Felix Sturm...then he might actually have a better case for that argument.

QUOTE(MarzB @ Mar 10 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]381939[/snapback]
Second question: Does making a boxing site a "PAY SITE" help or hinder the site? Will Fighthype ever turn into a paysite??

From what I've seen, it hinders the site. You get a lot less views on interviews, articles and videos that are locked than you do on the ones that are free. More importantly, it hinders the message that fighters are trying to get across to the fans as the exposure is limited to members only. I know during my time with the site, we never really had anything more than about 1000 paying members at most...so any time something was locked, that meant less than 1000 people got to read it as opposed to 10 times or 100 times that amount. Sure, it'll put money in your pocket, but it's not really doing anything for the fighters or the fans.

And NO! FightHype will NEVER turn into a paysite.

Anybody else? Come on...I have years and years worth of stuff to talk about. LOL.
Romulus9
Hype:

How did Shannon Briggs manage a majority decision win over George Foreman? Worst decision since Whitaker-Ramirez I, IMO.

Thoughts?
MarzB
More importantly, it hinders the message that fighters are trying to get across to the fans as the exposure is limited to members only.

Thats the main point I see it as. Why me as "JOE BOXER" would do an interview that only 1000 will hear but will line the coffers of the site owner? I'm not sayin fighters should refuse any exposure but a lot of that locked content was extremely lame (short, hardly informative). Thats not the only site that does it which leads to my next question.

Is there a sense of solidarity amongst boxing sites (outside of BT) or are some sites you all are cool and some you're not?? (read: boxingscene, eastside, maxboxing, ringsidereport, etc)??
Mino
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 10 2008, 03:40 PM) [snapback]381935[/snapback]

Well spill the beans, Whats was real reason for the split? How much was he shorting you? How much money are they making over there? Did he really threaten to sue you? If so thats some funny shit...Did he really call the IRS on Heard? If so a beatdown should have been in order....those are just a few
STEVENSKI
Hey Ben

How old are you?

Do you do this for a living or is it a sideline?

Do you speak to Avon?

Can you ban Fitz & Jack for no reason whatsoever?
thehype
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Mar 10 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]381943[/snapback]
Hype:

How did Shannon Briggs manage a majority decision win over George Foreman? Worst decision since Whitaker-Ramirez I, IMO.

Thoughts?

How? Simple...he was jobbed by judges Layton and Claxton. Horrible decision. My guess is that Axel Schulz pulled some string to get some revenge.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(MarzB @ Mar 10 2008, 06:01 PM) [snapback]381944[/snapback]
Is there a sense of solidarity amongst boxing sites (outside of BT) or are some sites you all are cool and some you're not?? (read: boxingscene, eastside, maxboxing, ringsidereport, etc)??

It really just depends on the people associated with the site, but for the most part, I would say yes there is.

Truth be told, a lot of times, you're just guilty by association. I know alot of guys from other sites didn't like me simply because they associated me with Btalk. They had never met me, never spoke to me, and yet, they viewed me as being the enemy simply because I was with Btalk. That always bothered me a lot because I knew their hatred was misguided. They would just hate for the sake of hating...not because I, or anyone else for that matter, did something specifically to them, but just because they didn't like Greg...guilty by association.

I do know that since leaving Btalk, most people have been pretty supportive of me. I get along perfectly fine with my boys at Max, but honestly, I was cool with most of those guys before I was even with Btalk. I'm cool with Brad over at Ringsidereport. I'm not really sure how Rick Reeno over at Boxingscne feels about me (but I'm cool with a lot of their writers and video guys). I don't think the boys at Eastside like me too much as they go out of their way to delete any posts on their board that link to FightHype...but again, I think they still view me as the enemy. Chee over at Doghouse is an odd one...I never really got along with him, but that was for other reasons. Boxingconfidential...well...I don't think Rick Guzman or John Chavez like me, but I have no real beef with them other than the fact that they just found me guilty by association. That just irritates me.

But anyway, like I said, I would say most of them get along. It's really just Btalk...mainly just Greg...that they don't get along with. In fact, I know none of those sites (Maxboxing, Doghouse, Ringsidereport, Boxingscene and Boxingconfidential) get along with Btalk and yet they all kind of support each other (i.e. some of the guys that do work for Max do work for Boxingscene as well).

Personally, none of them really bother me...as long as they never did anything to me, I have no beef with them.

Anyway...as you can see...that's a long, touchy subject so we might have to start a separate thread on that one. LOL. I got no problem talking more about it though.
thehype
QUOTE(Mino @ Mar 10 2008, 07:00 PM) [snapback]381947[/snapback]
Well spill the beans, Whats was real reason for the split?

Greg wanted to be my boss...simple as that. He thought he could talk to me however he wanted and command me to do whatever he said. I already had a full-time job with a real boss who already does that...boxing is my passion and my hobby, not my job, and it simply got to the point where I was not going to deal with that anymore.

How much was he shorting you?

It wasn't about being shorted as I was never an employee of his nor was he ever officially one of my clients. However, that being said, I charge my clients an hourly rate and had he been a client, I would have been shorted an ENORMOUS amount of money given the amount of hours I put into the site on a weekly basis. If I was "shorted" on anything, it would probably be the redesign of the site, but in all fairness, he never specifically asked me to redo the site. In fact, he kind of wanted to keep the old black and white site until I practically begged him to let me do something with it because I was emabarrassed to have my name attached to that look. Ironically, to this day, he still cries about widgets that I made available to him which are no longer with the site (i.e. Fans P4P List) even though he never asked me to do them (in fact, he probably couldn't even tell you how most of those widgets worked).

How much money are they making over there?

They? It depends on who you're talking about. For most of them, I would say $0. However, there is one guy that makes $10/interview (you can probably figure out who on your own). There's another writer who gets $50/story. Other than that, the only person who makes money over there now is Greg.

Did he really threaten to sue you? If so thats some funny shit.

Yes...on several occassions. In fact, the subject has even come up in the past month.

Did he really call the IRS on Heard? If so a beatdown should have been in order....those are just a few

Well, now that's a little sketcy. There were definitely threats, but whether or not he actually did it, I can't confirm nor deny.
thehype
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 10 2008, 07:08 PM) [snapback]381949[/snapback]
Hey Ben

How old are you?

"Too old, yes...too old to begin the training."

At least old enough to know that's a quote from Yoda in Empire Strike Back.

laugh.gif

Seriously though, I'm 34.

Do you do this for a living or is it a sideline?

Well it really just kind of started off as a hobby about 14 years ago. I never realized I'd get as deep into the game as I've gotten though. But yeah, I just do this on the side. I still have a regular ol' 9-5, but given the amount of stuff I do with this site (and Btalk), it's really more like a second job.

Do you speak to Avon?

Honestly, I haven't spoken to Avon (or should I say Matt Goldstein and Jim Barlieb...hahahaha), since he bounced, but we really didn't talk all that much when I was still at Btalk anyway so it's no big deal. I remember when I first had contact with him, he kind of rubbed me the wrong way because he was crying about some Keenan Collins video that didn't get up as fast as he wanted it to...but that's a whole different story. I still have his phone number though...maybe one day I'll find a reason to use it.

Can you ban Fitz & Jack for no reason whatsoever?

Yep...I sure can. Will I? Nah...I gotta at least have a good reason and right now, we need all the posters we can get.

laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
Cheers for the answers.

thehype
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 10 2008, 09:31 PM) [snapback]381958[/snapback]
Cheers for the answers.

No problem.

So is that it?

Any other questions? Time is running short...I gotta get back to grindin' soon so get 'em in while you can.
rusty_trombone
Jesus, $10 an interview, it's like a sweatshop over there
FenderDG3
Hey Hype,

How did you start getting invloved in the biz??

Thanks
stateofthegame
Let me try to explain why most from other sites do not like Greg, or Boxingtalk for that matter, with a true story. Maybe this will shed some light on how he deals with situations.

When Jermain Taylor fought Winky Wright in Memphis, I went to cover the fight. I knew Greg was coming, but little did I know there was also about four or five other people he got credentials for to "cover" the fight. Anyway when that many people get credentials for one fight not everyone gets ringside (two at the most). Greg and Brad Cooney get the ringside credentials and the rest of us get put at the top of the FedEx Forum (Basically it is very hard to cover a fight when the boxers look like ants). Now, this pisses me off, but I have been done like this before so I shrug it off. What Pissed me off was that I felt I should have been ringside as it was essentially my territory (along with Cooney who lives in Mississippi). I felt this way because I had seniority at BT above anyone including Greg. Also, anyone that has ever covered a fight with Greg knows that he gets there only for the Main Event and most of the time not even then. I have always felt that if you get a credential you should cover the whole card. You are there to work the fight, and sometimes those undercards are an important part of the coverage.

Anyway back to my story. The morning of the fight Roy Jones is coming into Memphis to have a breakfast/press get together. Greg told me about it and where it was going to be. So I get there and and Roy is running late, so I called Greg and told him Roy was not there yet, but was on the way and I asked where he was and he said he would be there. Well Roy comes in and gets his breakfast and sets down at a table and all these reporters gather around. These are some of the big names in the game. Me, I am just kind of excited that I am having breakfast with Roy Jones who I was a big fan of.

Roy starts to eat and people start to ask questions about his upcoming fight (Prince Badi Ajamu), Antonio Tarver, and other questions about his career and what he expected. Roy was answering everything that was asked. Still there was no Greg to be found. Suddenly the doors to the room we were in bust open and Greg and all these other people came in making tons of noise being really disrespectful in my opinion. Now everybody here has there place. These guys have been there since before Roy got there. Most were there when I got there. Greg pushes his way through these guys (sitting there asking questions and eating) to put his video camera right under Roy and begins to cut everybody off asking the same exact questions that have already been asked before he got there. Honestly it was embarrassing and these other reporters were looking at all these guys wearing Boxingtalk shirts like we were the scum of the earth. They even looked my way like that and I was not responsible for none of that mess.

That is a reason why other writers and more accredited people in the industry dislike BT and Greg because that is how he conducts business. He firmly believes everyone owes him something and that if it does not come from him it does not matter. After the breakfast, he was bragging about how Boxingtalk was all over the breakfast and how the site was the only one with video of the breakfast. One thing the video was not complete because he was not there, but for 10-15 minutes out of about an hour, and none of the other guys there was concerned about video, as they were about writing an article on the whole breakfast.

Anyway, this may sound insignificant, but it showed me just how unprofessional he can be.

The CEO
How about giving us your personal P4P list, Ben..?
thehype
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Mar 10 2008, 09:42 PM) [snapback]381962[/snapback]
Hey Hype,

How did you start getting invloved in the biz??

Thanks

Well, I kind of got started just updating my friends via email and whatnot...then, through my freelance web development, I did some sites for some local promoters and kind of got to know them. One thing led to another and I hooked up with Ron Heard, the original owner of Btalk. I did a few ads for him, then me and Greg hooked up...then Greg bought the site from Ron and asked me to be his right-hand man. The rest is history.

Believe me, that's an EXTREMELY condensed version of the details. We might have to start a new thread dedicated solely to that subject.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Mar 10 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]381971[/snapback]
Also, anyone that has ever covered a fight with Greg knows that he gets there only for the Main Event and most of the time not even then.

Very true. Very true.
Mino
What are the chances of you hooking me up with some tix to the next big event at Foxwoods or Mohegan...Gotta Try...lol
stateofthegame
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 11 2008, 07:47 AM) [snapback]381987[/snapback]
Well, I kind of got started just updating my friends via email and whatnot...then, through my freelance web development, I did some sites for some local promoters and kind of got to know them. One thing led to another and I hooked up with Ron Heard, the original owner of Btalk. I did a few ads for him, then me and Greg hooked up...then Greg bought the site from Ron and asked me to be his right-hand man. The rest is history.

Believe me, that's an EXTREMELY condensed version of the details. We might have to start a new thread dedicated solely to that subject.

laugh.gif

I always find it interesting how people get started. I kind of started the same way. I wrote something as kind of a joke for a friend of mine and he suggested that I send it to Charles Rigler who was writing for SecondsOut at that time. Rigler got a kick out of it and asked if I could write more, so I started writing more and just sending it to people over the net. Mostly people from the boxing forum on www.mma.tv At that time that forum was really buzzing. The more I sent out the more responses I got and a site called Danish-Prime fighters picked me up. The State of the Game then went to an English site as well and then one day Ron Heard contacted me about writing for him, so I did and was there for many years until the Monkey's split so I followed the bananas.
stateofthegame
Where you live Mino? I lived in Groton/New London area in Connecticut for a few years.
Mino
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Mar 10 2008, 11:00 PM) [snapback]381993[/snapback]
Where you live Mino? I lived in Groton/New London area in Connecticut for a few years.

Bloomfield...Right outside of Hartford
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 10 2008, 10:15 PM) [snapback]381974[/snapback]
I don't know much about the business you are in. Do you pay fighters (or websites in general) for interviews, or do they look at it as free publicity and do it for free or something?

No, I've never paid a fighter for an interivew, nor do I know of any fighters that Greg, or any reporter for that matter, has ever paid. They pretty much view it as free publicity (or should I say paid publicity depending on the name of the fighter and the website). They all pretty much do it for free...although, I have run into the rare occassion where a fighter has asked me to jump through hoops or give them hookups....in which case, I just say never mind. LOL. But I know we've never paid any fighter for anything...at that includes those fighters you saw rockin a btalk shirt. That being said, I did have an EXTREMELY entertaining conversation with Zab Judah on AIM the other day and he informed me that he was getting paid by Greg and btalk...something about him investing or blah, blah, blah...I just kind of ignored it and assumed Zab was trying to brag because he isn't all tight with me like that so he wouldn't know that I know better. The thing is, I know Greg better than Zab does and I know there ain't no damn reason why he'd break Zab off any money from btalk. He might throw some dollar bills in the air at the strip club for Zab, but trust me, he ain't breakin' him off any money. I'll have to dig up that transcript one day...pretty funny conversation.

If they do get paid, is it reasonable?

See above.

laugh.gif

You mention you have a normal day to day job as well. How many hours per week do you put into fighthype?

Well...ummmmm...that's kind of a loaded question because I spend a little time at work doing FightHype stuff. LOL. I might have to plead the 5th on the actual amount of hours. That being said, after work, I'm usually doing FightHype stuff from 7PM-1AM five days a week...then the weekends can vary depending on how many fights there are how many people I have covering them. But you can get the picture. I'd say at least 40+ hours on FightHype stuff.

Jack 1000
Awesome thead Ben!!! Thank you!!!

And thank you to this community for all of the positive and collective input over the years and the many years to come! My question would be in terms of even further promotion of the site what would you Ben, and the rest of the community like to see in terms of promotion for FightHype and possible marketing strategies for that promotion? (i.e T-shirts, posters, programs.) For example The 13th Round with Nick and Stitch was great, but I was wondering why they haven't done any shows since late 2007? or why we haven't linked to new shows. That was cool!

Oh yea, and the real important question.........Any ideas on new games for the arcade!!!???

Thanks again Ben and fellow monkeys!!!!!

Jack
thehype
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Mar 10 2008, 10:23 PM) [snapback]381977[/snapback]
How about giving us your personal P4P list, Ben..?

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

After that, it doesn't really matter.

I'd definitely have Hopkins and Pacquiao up there though. Cotto is up there. Vazquez and JMMarquez deserve some props in there...if you're asking me to rank 'em, I'd probably rank 'em just as I wrote 'em since those are the first six names that popped up in my mind, but really, any of those guys are interchangeable. As long as Floyd Mayweather is at the top, I can't disagree with anyone. It just gets so sketchy after number one...you could make a case for just about anyone. I've heard pretty decent arguments for Wladimir Klitschko, Joe Calzaghe, Kelly Pavlik, Jermain Taylor, Winky Wright, Cory Spinks, Ricky Hatton...no wait...that's a lie...I haven't heard any decent arguments for Ricky Hatton...lol...it's just so interchangeable that it's ridiculous. Any of those guys could beat each other...and some of them already have. But one thing I now for sure...NONE of them have ever beat Floyd nor do I see how any of them would if they hypothetically fought at the same weight. So for me...FLOYD #1!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!

Mayweather, Hopkins, Pacquiao...then maybe Cotto...after that, who really cares?

We might just have to make a FIGHTHYPE TOP 4 P4P.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(Mino @ Mar 10 2008, 10:54 PM) [snapback]381991[/snapback]
What are the chances of you hooking me up with some tix to the next big event at Foxwoods or Mohegan...Gotta Try...lol

Do you have a video camera? Do you know how to get footage onto your computer?

dntknw.gif

Anything is possible...
Mino
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 10 2008, 11:31 PM) [snapback]382000[/snapback]
Do you have a video camera? Do you know how to get footage onto your computer?

dntknw.gif

Anything is possible...

Video Camera yes...footage on the comp, me no but could figure it out, or get a friend to do it for me
thehype
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Mar 10 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]381997[/snapback]
Awesome thead Ben!!! Thank you!!!

No problem. But really...I was just bored and needed someone to talk to.

laugh.gif

And thank you to this community for all of the positive and collective input over the years and the many years to come!

It's all good...but I really can't take the credit...I gotta pass the props on to Ron Heard for ever starting it in the first place. I was just the one who was cared enough to keep it around when the new Boss took over and wanted to axe it simply because "it cost money to keep it" (if you remember those old EZBoard days).

My question would be in terms of even further promotion of the site what would you Ben, and the rest of the community like to see in terms of promotion for FightHype and possible marketing strategies for that promotion? (i.e T-shirts, posters, programs.)

Good question. I haven't really thought about that. I did design some T-Shirts, but alas, I never got around to getting any made:

http://www.fighthype.com/images/shirts/fh_blackshirt.jpg
http://www.fighthype.com/images/shirts/fh_redshirt.jpg
http://www.fighthype.com/images/shirts/fh_whiteshirt.jpg

My man Percy got some made up I believe. I gotta look into that.

For example The 13th Round with Nick and Stitch was great, but I was wondering why they haven't done any shows since late 2007? or why we haven't linked to new shows. That was cool!

SHIT JACK!!! SHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Damn. Now I'm in trouble. Actually, the show has still been coming on every Tuesday at 10PM ET/7PM PT...but the computer I use to do my audio recording crashed and I haven't bothered to fix it yet. I could set it all up on a new computer, but honestly, I just kind of got sidetracked. That's actually my fault. I gotta take care of that...it's really a good show. My buddy Stitch Duran...he's the head cutman for the UFC and Wladimir Klitschko's cutman as well as quite a few other boxers...he's the co-host and he's got soooooo many stories in both boxing and MMA. I learn so much from him. Just an all-around great guy. If you guys aren't checking it out, you really should.

Oh yea, and the real important question.........Any ideas on new games for the arcade!!!???

laugh.gif

Actually....funny you should mention that...I was actually scoping some out last weekend, but again, I got sidetracked. I'll try to add some more though...although I don't know why...BrutalBodyShots is KILLIN ya'll with trophies.

LOL
The CEO
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 10 2008, 11:30 PM) [snapback]381999[/snapback]
1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

After that, it doesn't really matter.

I'd definitely have Hopkins and Pacquiao up there though. Cotto is up there. Vazquez and JMMarquez deserve some props in there...if you're asking me to rank 'em, I'd probably rank 'em just as I wrote 'em since those are the first six names that popped up in my mind, but really, any of those guys are interchangeable. As long as Floyd Mayweather is at the top, I can't disagree with anyone. It just gets so sketchy after number one...you could make a case for just about anyone. I've heard pretty decent arguments for Wladimir Klitschko, Joe Calzaghe, Kelly Pavlik, Jermain Taylor, Winky Wright, Cory Spinks, Ricky Hatton...no wait...that's a lie...I haven't heard any decent arguments for Ricky Hatton...lol...it's just so interchangeable that it's ridiculous. Any of those guys could beat each other...and some of them already have. But one thing I now for sure...NONE of them have ever beat Floyd nor do I see how any of them would if they hypothetically fought at the same weight. So for me...FLOYD #1!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!

Mayweather, Hopkins, Pacquiao...then maybe Cotto...after that, who really cares?

We might just have to make a FIGHTHYPE TOP 4 P4P.

laugh.gif

Well put...thanks...good to see you have Calzaghe in the Who Cares category out of the Top 4....laugh.gif
EpTXCHAMP
No, I've never paid a fighter for an interivew, nor do I know of any fighters that Greg, or any reporter for that matter, has ever paid. They pretty much view it as free publicity (or should I say paid publicity depending on the name of the fighter and the website). They all pretty much do it for free...although, I have run into the rare occassion where a fighter has asked me to jump through hoops or give them hookups....in which case, I just say never mind. LOL. But I know we've never paid any fighter for anything...at that includes those fighters you saw rockin a btalk shirt. That being said, I did have an EXTREMELY entertaining conversation with Zab Judah on AIM the other day and he informed me that he was getting paid by Greg and btalk...something about him investing or blah, blah, blah...I just kind of ignored it and assumed Zab was trying to brag because he isn't all tight with me like that so he wouldn't know that I know better. The thing is, I know Greg better than Zab does and I know there ain't no damn reason why he'd break Zab off any money from btalk. He might throw some dollar bills in the air at the strip club for Zab, but trust me, he ain't breakin' him off any money. I'll have to dig up that transcript one day...pretty funny conversation.
See above.

So whats the whole deal with greg and zab rocking these special team judah btalk shirts for the mosely fight? I thought zab was getting paid but your saying other wise so is it simply just for publicity?
caneman
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 10 2008, 03:40 PM) [snapback]381935[/snapback]

what do you think about your thread about nate campbell(on maxboxing) going 17 pages & actually made it to the hall of fame section of the boards? it is actually very entertaining with terry from 1 punch productions & nate himself posting in the thread! anyhow ben, keep up all the good work & have a great week bro!
caneman
i actually have another question for you....have you ever seen a worse cutman than diaz's on saturday night?
Col Reb
Hey Hype,

How come no big promoters are willing to put a major card on network tv and see what happens? We all know that would be the best thing for the sport over the long haul.
thehype
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 11 2008, 01:58 AM) [snapback]382012[/snapback]
So whats the whole deal with greg and zab rocking these special team judah btalk shirts for the mosely fight? I thought zab was getting paid but your saying other wise so is it simply just for publicity?

I have no idea about the shirts, but I can certainly find out. I know Zab stiffed us (when I was still with btalk) on several occassions when he was supposed to wear a shirt so I wouldn't hold my breath. Don't get me wrong, he might wear a btalk shirt to a press conference...MIGHT...but for the actual fight, my guess is that he'll probably be rockin' an Affliction shirt since they actually would pay him.

As for Zab getting paid to do something for btalk....pffffffft....believe the Hype, he's not!
thehype
QUOTE(caneman @ Mar 11 2008, 09:33 AM) [snapback]382025[/snapback]
what do you think about your thread about nate campbell(on maxboxing) going 17 pages & actually made it to the hall of fame section of the boards? it is actually very entertaining with terry from 1 punch productions & nate himself posting in the thread! anyhow ben, keep up all the good work & have a great week bro!

LOL. What do I think? I think I wish we had just as many posters over here who would contribute like that. LOL.

Seriously though, I don't think it had anything to do with my particular thread...I was just trying to get some people to check out the interview.

I think it was due more to the fact that Nate and Terry were in that thread going back and fourth with some posters. Maybe I'll tell Jin Mosley to come on here and stir up the pot when it gets close to Shane's fight with Zab...I'm sure that thread would reach 17+ pages as well.

Thanks for the kudos.
thehype
QUOTE(caneman @ Mar 11 2008, 09:37 AM) [snapback]382026[/snapback]
i actually have another question for you....have you ever seen a worse cutman than diaz's on saturday night?

Actually I have...Tyson is lucky he didn't get a nasty cut in that Buster Douglas fight. If they were using a rubber glove to try and stop swelling, imagine what they would have used to try and stop a cut.

laugh.gif

Stitch Duran is one of the best cutman I've ever seen though...I'm gonna have to tell Willie Savannah to give him a call.
thehype
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Mar 11 2008, 10:07 AM) [snapback]382029[/snapback]
Hey Hype,

How come no big promoters are willing to put a major card on network tv and see what happens? We all know that would be the best thing for the sport over the long haul.

Because most of them don't want to give up creative control on approving fights and whatnot. You're right though...that would be the best thing for the sport. Imagine if Vazquez-Marquez or Corrales-Castillo were on free TV...boxing would be flourishing right now.

It would be nice if every now and then, they'd just pick one fight throughout the year to showcase on network TV....just one...if you already know you're going to get a great war from both fighters, that's all it would really take.

Cotto-Gomez would be a perfect candidate for that one fight (especially considering that Gomez was on The Contender when it was still on NBC).
Don Flamenco
Yep those would have been no brainers; they were perfect matchups tailor made for the casual fight fan.

They don't want to lose little bit of money now and invest in the future. The last TV network that fans were able to see is STILL the biggest draw in the game. Imagine if a guy like Andre Ward was always fighting on ABC's wide world of sports like Oscar did back then.

Wasn't one of the fights between Lewis - Rachman on network TV?
CreDog
Hype,

I'm glad your sight is doing well. I know you because I used to get on the chats on Btalk back in the day. I used to chat with you and Percy and thought you guys were knowledgeable and cool.

I actually visit your sight more than Btalk, as your content is more informative. I might be in the minority but I follow both Boxing and MMA. Boxing is my TRUE love and MMA fills in the gaps. I love MMA but the REASON boxing is my true love is that nothing compares to two fighters, who are at the top of their game using one fight style-- which is the most exciting, throwing blows--- going head up. It truly defines who the best is at ONE fighting form.

You guys are the first truly hybrid site out there.... Keep doing your thing and your audience will get bigger. Content is the key and I truly like your content. Tell Percy he is doing a fantastic job with the interviews-- unlike Gleon, who seems to have some hidden agenda in giving himself props.

One thing that was annoying with Btalk was the fact that you had to renew your membership every month.... BIG MISTAKE, it was so annoying that I just said screw it. I GUARANTEE he's lost many a member ($$$) to the fact that it's not an auto charge---- LIKE Maxboxing who consequently I've been a member of for the last few years.

Question: Gleon acts like he is a baller, does he do anything else to make money?? Based on 1000 members at $5.00 a pop, he'd raking in about $5k (gross) a month? Doesn't seem like a fortune, especially in the NY.

Keep doing your thing... I'm a DIE hard PacFan--- don't blink this weekend.
thehype
QUOTE(CreDog @ Mar 11 2008, 11:12 AM) [snapback]382038[/snapback]
Hype,

I'm glad your sight is doing well. I know you because I used to get on the chats on Btalk back in the day. I used to chat with you and Percy and thought you guys were knowledgeable and cool.

I actually visit your sight more than Btalk, as your content is more informative. I might be in the minority but I follow both Boxing and MMA. Boxing is my TRUE love and MMA fills in the gaps. I love MMA but the REASON boxing is my true love is that nothing compares to two fighters, who are at the top of their game using one fight style-- which is the most exciting, throwing blows--- going head up. It truly defines who the best is at ONE fighting form.

You guys are the first truly hybrid site out there.... Keep doing your thing and your audience will get bigger. Content is the key and I truly like your content. Tell Percy he is doing a fantastic job with the interviews-- unlike Gleon, who seems to have some hidden agenda in giving himself props.

One thing that was annoying with Btalk was the fact that you had to renew your membership every month.... BIG MISTAKE, it was so annoying that I just said screw it. I GUARANTEE he's lost many a member ($$$) to the fact that it's not an auto charge---- LIKE Maxboxing who consequently I've been a member of for the last few years.

Question: Gleon acts like he is a baller, does he do anything else to make money?? Based on 1000 members at $5.00 a pop, he'd raking in about $5k (gross) a month? Doesn't seem like a fortune, especially in the NY.

Keep doing your thing... I'm a DIE hard PacFan--- don't blink this weekend.

Thanks for the kudos and the support CreDog.

Ah yes...I remember those early days back at btalk when chats were still new and fresh...good times back then...good times. That's back when guys like Paulie Malignaggi would come in as replacements for last minute cancellations...man, things were so different back then.

Anyway, I'm kind of with you on boxing and MMA...boxing's my first love, but damn, that MMA mistress sure is sexy at times. I can't lie, I'll take a good MMA event over a subpar boxing card any time. Truth be told, if I were forced to pick between Kelly Pavlik vs. Winky Wright and Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, I'd probably pick Jackson-Griffin. That was kind of my dilemma two weekends ago during Vazquez-Marquez III...believe it or not, I watched UFC 82 and taped Vazquez-Marquez. I know, I know...sounds nuts. Don't get me wrong...I was HATING it because Vazquez-Marquez was actually the fight I wanted to see....but UFC 82 was in my neck of the woods so I kind of had to go cover it because my boys Stitch, Sokoudjou and Anderson Silva were in town. Hopefully, that won't ever happen again.

As for btalk, yeah, that was a decision that the Boss made. That's what he wanted so that's what he got. Truth be told, I don't think I'd pay to be a member at any site, as there seems to be enough websites out there where you can eventually find the same contecnt (videos, etc.), but hey, that's just me.

As for Greg, nope...btalk is pretty much his only source of income. You gotta understand though...he's not just making money off memberships...he's making some money off ads as well. Of course, he's not making money off every ad you see up there as a lot of them are free...plus, he gets about 10% from every fighter he advices...like Ishe...whatever Ishe makes for that Julio fight, he'll get about 10% of that...and there's also been some behind-the-scenes deals that he's struck with a promoter or two in order to get 5K here or 20K there...but really, it's all about appearances. Is he a baller like he says he is? Nah...I wouldn't say he's all that...but he is making enough money for that to be his full-time job so he's doing pretty good for himself. But Greg came up from nothing...you gotta remember, there was a time when he was just this chubby cat off the streets that used to watch boxing events from the cheap seats just like everyone else. Now he's skinny and has enough money to buy himself all the new kicks that he wants so for him, he's a baller and he's really feeling himself. But again...it's all about appearances. Like he once told me, "you gotta make these cats believe you got money and that their money don't mean shit to you in order to get that paper from them." So far, it's worked like a charm. Same with the site...the more times he tells you that btalk is the shit and blah, blah, blah...the more likely people will start believing that. I kind of compare it to that kid in high school who constantly bragged about getting ass...you know that kid...the one who talked about it sooooo much that you just knew he really wasn't getting any. When you really do have like that, you don't have to brag about it.
Don Flamenco
dayum!
CreDog
Hype--- Great Analogy about the kid bragging about how much A$$ they get.

BTW-- Many thanks on "paraphrasing" what other fighters are saying--- paybacks a bitch!

thumbsup_anim.gif
thehype
QUOTE(CreDog @ Mar 11 2008, 12:54 PM) [snapback]382044[/snapback]
Hype--- Great Analogy about the kid bragging about how much A$$ they get.

BTW-- Many thanks on "paraphrasing" what other fighters are saying--- paybacks a bitch!
thumbsup_anim.gif

I'm glad you noticed the paraphrasing...I was wondering if anybody was picking up on that. I actually have to do a lot more paraphrasing and a lot less quoting now because I received a complaint a couple weeks ago...somebody got a little upset about it. I tried to let him know that I was just trying to help him spread the message that the fighters were trying to convey, but I was told that it was defeating the purpose of generating new memberships.

laugh.gif

Silly me...and hear I thought the purpose was to let the fighter's voice be heard.

laugh.gif

I just said fvck it...no problem...I'll just paraphrase then...although I did get "permission" to use at least one quote.

laugh.gif
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 11 2008, 08:18 AM) [snapback]382030[/snapback]

I have no idea about the shirts, but I can certainly find out. I know Zab stiffed us (when I was still with btalk) on several occassions when he was supposed to wear a shirt so I wouldn't hold my breath. Don't get me wrong, he might wear a btalk shirt to a press conference...MIGHT...but for the actual fight, my guess is that he'll probably be rockin' an Affliction shirt since they actually would pay him.

As for Zab getting paid to do something for btalk....pffffffft....believe the Hype, he's not!

greg said in a mailbag it had something to do with Jin mosely saying btalk couldnt cover the mosley fight and zab didnt agree. When did the beef with jin happen? I remember she use to do mailbags 4 btalk

oh one more question

since your cool with zab or were do you know what happened with him and rocking the s.carter gear did jay-z drop him after he lost to baldomir or what lol
thehype
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 11 2008, 03:33 PM) [snapback]382063[/snapback]
greg said in a mailbag it had something to do with Jin mosely saying btalk couldnt cover the mosley fight and zab didnt agree. When did the beef with jin happen? I remember she use to do mailbags 4 btalk

I think Greg kind of already outlined some of the details in his mailbag regarding what happened...albeit, the details were kind of sketchy and skewed in his favor...and exactly when...

Snippet from Feb. 28 btalk mailbag...

Why wouldn't the Mosley management want us credentialed for the fight? Because I felt it was in poor taste and classless to allow a story reaming Gary Shaw for screwing Diego Corrales to be posted on Boxingtalk before my good friend was even placed in the ground. I felt there was no need to let the boxing world know that the Mosley's helped Diego save his house from the IRS, before the service to honor his memory took place. Honestly, I planned on running whatever they wanted to say because I've never had a problem giving anybody a forum on Boxingtalk. I hadn't even read the story when I forwarded it to Gary Shaw as a courtesy the days before I left for Diego's services in Vegas. Gary phoned me back and asked me if I had read the story, I said no. When I did and noticed how vulgar it was, I decided not to run it. I guess when I said, I decided not to run it, in the minds eye of the Mosley management, that meant Gary Shaw told me not to run it and I was choosing Gary Shaw over the Mosley's. The Mosley management is well aware of Boxingtalk's prowess, after all I am the one who put them on to Judd Burstein, have given them nothing but sound advice for free and up until this incident occured, considered them amongst my closest friends in boxing. It's a shame how overreacting to something and holding a grudge over nothing, can lead to friendships going up in smoke. But at the end of the day when things like that happen, you have to wonder what the friendship was ever really founded on?

I don't really want to speak on it as I don't really feel it's my place, but I can say that I was made aware of what happened and I've seen the back-and-fourth emails between the interested parties and quite frankly, I have to side with Mrs. Mosley on this one. What was sent to Shaw shouldn't have been sent to him...at least not without asking permission first. If you don't want to run something (something that was co-authored by Diego's widow Michelle Corrales), that's fine, but there was no need to forward it on to Shaw without at least telling Mrs. Mosley and Mrs. Corrales that you were going to do it. And honestly, I didn't think it was as "vulgar" as he makes it sound and given some of the things that Shaw was saying at the time regarding his relationship with Diego, I probably would have wanted to set the record straight myself. But like I said, I shouldn't really speak on it. What it basically boils down to is the fact that Mrs. Mosley, like most people who have dealt with him, just came to realize the type of person he is and simply chose not to deal with him anymore after that particular incident. Personally, I don't blame her for wanting to snub him...in fact, I don't blame Jeff Wald for wanting to do the same as I would be pretty pissed too if he released the results to my show. Incidentally, I find it pretty funny that he claims that he does that because he believes in the freedom of information and yet, he locks interviews. Go figure. Quite honestly, I don't even know why they bother giving him credentials when he doesn't even cover the entire event....but I digress...the point is, Mrs. Mosley is correct in her stance on this one. Fvck him. LOL!

Oh...and for the record...Judd Burstein informed him to lose his number and never call him again.

laugh.gif

Oh...and also for the record...I'd like to officially state that I'm the one who put him on to MikeTyson...now that's what you call prowess.

laugh.gif

QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 11 2008, 03:33 PM) [snapback]382063[/snapback]
oh one more question

since your cool with zab or were do you know what happened with him and rocking the s.carter gear did jay-z drop him after he lost to baldomir or what lol

I have no idea, but I'm sure the loss to Baldomir didn't help.

laugh.gif

FenderDG3
QUOTE(thehype @ Mar 10 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]381987[/snapback]

laugh.gif

Thanks Hype, I appreciate the reply.
Don Flamenco
Can someone care to elaborate exactly what happened between the Mosley's and Gary Shaw?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.