Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why would DKP throw Mayorga in with Taylor?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
This would be a terrible matchup! Per boxingtalk, it looks like this may happen. Mayo would get hurt in this fight! He needs to bust ass and get down to 147 where he has some pop and make a huge fight there. Taylor will end his career. Why is Don cashing out on Mayorga now?
Col Reb
Taylor is too big for him and has too much power. I see this playing out like his fight with Tito, only worse, because Taylor is bigger, stronger, and more skilled.

I would love to see Mayo get in the mix at 147 with the likes of Judah, Quintana, or Margarito. Those would be entertaining fights.
Nay_Sayer
Like I keep saying, Taylor is D O N E. That's the only reason why Dibella would put him in the ring with a *welterweight* for the second time.
D-MARV
Dude, You're being way too dramitic! JT would win but he wouldn't kill Mayorga... If Ouma and Spinks can stay in there with him then Mayorga would not be destroyed. And Im not to sure that JT is more skilled than Tito
Big Slim Sweet
So would this fight be at 168 then??

Taylor's no killer but his speed will be way too much for Mayo. I doubt he puts him on his back but would expect him to get the TKO sometime in the mid rounds from an accumulation of punches.

What exactly does DK have in Mayorga that he needs to protect anyway? The dude's proven to be what he is - an marketable opponent for top fighters who makes for entertaining press conferences and then gets blasted in the ring.

Mayorga at 147? In 2008? Not a chance.
PR316
Basically getting Mayorga a big pay day. Taylor will look pretty good in beating Mayorga, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mayorga lasts 12. After all, suspect chinned guys like Ouma and Spinks did it, and they did it at weight classes they never fought at prior to fighting Taylor.

I like Taylor here via decision or possible late stoppage, but it won't be the blow out some suggest.
CreDog
To get paid.... Who else would Mayorga make coin off of? Forrest? Mosely??

This is a cash out fight. Both sides win-- Mayorga gets paid and JT get's a gimme.

I really believe that Steward made such a negative impact on JT's style.... That's why he looked like shit against Spinks and Ouma.

Mayorga doesn't have the power to test JT's chin. JT will KO Mayorga in less than 3 rounds.

salvador
I don't think this fight has a prayer of happening. King knows what he has in Mayorga (assuming Mayorga can still make 147 like he says he can), and he wouldn't put him in with Taylor unless there was a huge paycheck, which there can't be. Taylor's not a draw anymore and Mayorga-Cotto would be HUGE. And I actually think Floyd would fight him for some easy money as well.

buford54
How would Taylor not kill Mayorga?
The big difference between Ouma, Spinks and Mayorga is skill. Ouma stays right up on and you smothers you by throwing a billion punches. Spinks will not get hit, ever. He stays away from punches like the plague. So Taylor wasn't going to land his big power on either guy.
Mayorga would walk right into everything Taylor throws.
Taylor would kill Mayorga.
Tha Docta
mayorga had trouble with a bloated / washed up vargas. he has absolutely no chance in this fight. taylor is way too big for him. mayorga has looked like trash at anything over 147lbs. even at 154 he had little to no power.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This would be terrible for Mayorga. There is no shot in hell that he defeats Taylor. The power wouldn't bug Taylor, and he sure as hell couldn't box with him either. Mayorga needs to get down to 47 or 54, where his punch could be a factor. Id love to see a third fight with Forrest, or even watch him get beat again by Spinks at 54. Mayorga-Cotto sounded more compelling than Mayorga-Taylor.
Kyle
Tha Docta
if mayorga can make 147 (not sure if he can) then there are some damn good fights that could be made. margarito, cotto, cintron, judah, williams, quintana, etc.

mayorga power was impressive at 147. but at 154 and above his power wasnt there and we all know hes not going to outbox anyone other than a bloated fernando vargas.
CreDog
How much fun would a Mayorga- Judah fight be??

The headline would be " Evil vs Evil"--- Imagine what the pre-fight pressers would be like.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Mar 10 2008, 11:12 PM) [snapback]382007[/snapback]
He needs to bust ass and get down to 147

laugh.gif

QUOTE(Col Reb @ Mar 10 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]382010[/snapback]
I would love to see Mayo get in the mix at 147

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 11 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]382064[/snapback]
King knows what he has in Mayorga (assuming Mayorga can still make 147 like he says he can)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Mar 11 2008, 10:53 PM) [snapback]382112[/snapback]
Mayorga needs to get down to 47 or 54

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 12 2008, 10:31 AM) [snapback]382142[/snapback]
if mayorga can make 147

Ok you said 'if' so you get a pass.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I really dont think it would be much of a strech for Mayorga to get down to 54. I mean he won a title at 54, and his last fight was at about 165. That'd be only 10 more pounds to cut for him, and he could do that. 47 may be a strech at this point in his career, but there are still many compelling fights for him at 54. How about Alex Bunema who just upset Karmazin. That fight would be good. A Joachim Alcine fight could be made as well. Fights againt Cory Spinks and Vernon Forrest are also marketable too.
Kyle
Tha Docta
spinks and forrest might give him decent paydays, but hbo wouldnt pay for mayorga vs bunema or karmazin. nobody knows bunema and karmazin just got his ass whipped.
Warlord
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Mar 11 2008, 10:53 PM) [snapback]382112[/snapback]
This would be terrible for Mayorga. There is no shot in hell that he defeats Taylor. The power wouldn't bug Taylor, and he sure as hell couldn't box with him either. Mayorga needs to get down to 47 or 54, where his punch could be a factor. Id love to see a third fight with Forrest, or even watch him get robbed again against Spinks at 54. Mayorga-Cotto sounded more compelling than Mayorga-Taylor.
Kyle

Fixed.

Spinks never beat Mayorga. He got a gift decision.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Warlord @ Mar 14 2008, 03:58 AM) [snapback]382387[/snapback]

+1
Tha Docta
spinks flopped to the canvas so many times during that fight when things got tough. even vlade divac was envious of spinks flopping technique.

mayorga deserved the win in that fight.

that was also the night of one of the best heavyweight fights in recent memory. rahman vs ruiz.
Big Slim Sweet
Also the night William Joppy won a bet for 50k and received complimentary plastic surgery in the process.
buford54
I honestly think that fighters are trying to ignore Spinks until he retires of boredom.
Nobody will fight him, and I probably wouldn't either. I would probably fall asleep during the first round and he would get a TKO victory over me. I tend to pretend that he's not around when I think about boxing.

Mayorga is only in this game for paydays. Because he has no shame and will insult everything from The Virgin Mary to your
mother in order to sell a fight, people will still watch him.
Also, he's not boring.

He probably told King to get him the most available money anywhere from 147 to 175. JT needs a win where he wins by dramatic knockout, and Mayorga is the guy to give it to him. At 168, Mayorga's power and stamina won't be much of a factor, so JT doesn't have much to worry about...and he'll be there to be hit.
Also,it could also be billed as 2 former champions.

That's probably why the fight is happening.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 14 2008, 11:39 AM) [snapback]382409[/snapback]
Also the night William Joppy won a bet for 50k and received complimentary plastic surgery in the process.

yeah, i remember joppy looking like the elephant man after that fight. disgusting. rahman vs ruiz is the worst fight ive ever seen in my life.

i also think one of the sims boys (tarvis or travis) knocked out garcia while they were breaking from a clinch.

i thought that was going to be a good card, but none of those fights were that good. also think judah was somewhere on that card blasting out a bum in the first round.
rusty_trombone
i haven't read the thread, but i think the answer here is fairly easy. Mayorga loses no value if he loses, people watch him regardless because he's a maniac. Also, Taylor has a very suspect chin, and Mayorga with his wildness may be able to touch it. If he wins, he's a bigger cash box again, and probably gets a title shot, ridiculous enough.
BigG
Yeah Judah was on that card..the victim was named Jaime Rangel...that was a sick knockout. thumbsup_anim.gif
Tha Docta
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 14 2008, 02:19 PM) [snapback]382426[/snapback]
i haven't read the thread, but i think the answer here is fairly easy. Mayorga loses no value if he loses, people watch him regardless because he's a maniac. Also, Taylor has a very suspect chin, and Mayorga with his wildness may be able to touch it. If he wins, he's a bigger cash box again, and probably gets a title shot, ridiculous enough.

since when does taylor have a suspect chin?? I actually think the man has a decent set of whiskers on him.
Method
Suspect chin niggaz/No win niggaz/Send niggaz/Back to go/Try again niggaz/Shotgun/Pointed at yo' temple/BLOUWWW
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 14 2008, 01:35 PM) [snapback]382430[/snapback]
since when does taylor have a suspect chin?? I actually think the man has a decent set of whiskers on him.

since always
Tha Docta
there isnt any proof that his chin is suspect. not from any of the fights that ive seen. so name some fights where taylor displayed this suspect chin.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 14 2008, 08:29 PM) [snapback]382466[/snapback]
there isnt any proof that his chin is suspect. not from any of the fights that ive seen. so name some fights where taylor displayed this suspect chin.

well, he did get hurt by almost every punch Hopkins landed in both fights. Besides that, he's really not fought too many big punchers, and he was KTFO by Pavlik, who is a really really hard puncher. I think Cory Spinks had him dazed at one point also.

I actually like Taylor, but his chin has never been great, I thought it was universally accepted.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 14 2008, 09:45 PM) [snapback]382473[/snapback]
well, he did get hurt by almost every punch Hopkins landed in both fights. Besides that, he's really not fought too many big punchers, and he was KTFO by Pavlik, who is a really really hard puncher. I think Cory Spinks had him dazed at one point also.

I actually like Taylor, but his chin has never been great, I thought it was universally accepted.

you dont get hurt by every single punch and win a fight. i thought he was more wore down than anything. i dont remember him being hurt by every punch hopkins threw. spinks never hurt him. and pavlik has power, but it was an accumulation of punches that did taylor in the first fight. he took some big shots in the rematch and was still coming. i think the man has a good chin, so i guess its not universally accepted.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
LOL. I guess opinions are opinions. Mayorga could barely touch Spinks, and Spinks was doing enough to win the rounds. I thought he deserved the fight. If they did it again, Spinks would be even more dominant at 154. He's stronger at 54, and would plant his feet more. He would easily evade all the wide shots Mayorga throws too. Dont think it will happen though, since Don wants to make the Taylor fight. However, Spinks is promoted by King.
Kyle
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 15 2008, 12:25 PM) [snapback]382527[/snapback]
you dont get hurt by every single punch and win a fight. i thought he was more wore down than anything. i dont remember him being hurt by every punch hopkins threw. spinks never hurt him. and pavlik has power, but it was an accumulation of punches that did taylor in the first fight. he took some big shots in the rematch and was still coming. i think the man has a good chin, so i guess its not universally accepted.

easy buddy, we're only talking about an ex-champs chin here. so vehement.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 15 2008, 02:37 PM) [snapback]382535[/snapback]
easy buddy, we're only talking about an ex-champs chin here. so vehement.

doesnt make sense. because you say he has a bad chin that it is all of a sudden universallly accepted??
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 15 2008, 02:05 PM) [snapback]382541[/snapback]
doesnt make sense. because you say he has a bad chin that it is all of a sudden universallly accepted??

take it easy son. i said i thought it was universally accepted, i never stated it as a fact. everyone i've ever talked to has always agreed that he was a bit quesitonable in the beard department, you apparently don't. i have no problem with your argument. we just disagree. you can believe whatever you like, apparently i hit a nerve, relax.
salvador
If Mayorga can't make 147 and he's actually comfortable fighting at 160+, then the most obvious fight for him is Miranda. I think HBO would like that one.
basicjab
QUOTE(Warlord @ Mar 14 2008, 08:58 AM) [snapback]382387[/snapback]
Fixed.

Truer words have never been spoken, if there were a boxing dictionary with the word gift decision, Spink's name should appear as the definition.

Mayorga is no good at 154 either, his punches were weak as hell. 147 is his weight, he would have done well to stay at that weight.
Col Reb
I agree with your sentiment about Mayo. He needs to go back to 147 and try to snatch a belt in a war against a Cintron or even Cotto. Spinks should just fight Winky; both of their schedules are open anyway.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Mar 21 2008, 01:26 AM) [snapback]383301[/snapback]
I agree with your sentiment about Mayo. He needs to go back to 147 and try to snatch a belt in a war against a Cintron or even Cotto. Spinks should just fight Winky; both of their schedules are open anyway.

the man simply isnt capable of making 147 anymore. which is why fights like jermain taylor are being mentioned. winky should try to fight someone and get his name back out there. right now, there arent many people that miss having winky around. same goes with spinks.
EazySteve
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 22 2008, 09:59 AM) [snapback]383404[/snapback]
the man simply isnt capable of making 147 anymore. which is why fights like jermain taylor are being mentioned. winky should try to fight someone and get his name back out there. right now, there arent many people that miss having winky around. same goes with spinks.

I agree, but if Mayorga can make 147 healthy and competitive wouldn't that be something? Speaking of Winky, WTF is he doing? A break, or retired?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 22 2008, 09:59 AM) [snapback]383404[/snapback]
winky should try to fight someone and get his name back out there. right now, there arent many people that miss having winky around. same goes with spinks.

i think stinks is fighting this week against verno phillips and it's not even being televised.

as for winky, you're right he needs to get his name back out there fast. he should try taking a page from casamayor's book. nobody was looking forward to casa still being around and now one fight later he's more appealing than ever.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(CreDog @ Mar 12 2008, 12:00 PM) [snapback]382150[/snapback]
How much fun would a Mayorga- Judah fight be??

The headline would be " Evil vs Evil"--- Imagine what the pre-fight pressers would be like.

This would be one helluva entertaining fight to see. The pressers would probalby be better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.