Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao-Marquez II: Official Preview Thread!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Who wins?

I think Marquez is gonna give Manny fits..could go either way.
Don Flamenco
PAC walks through those punches, albeit eating some serious leather in the process, and gets JMM outa there within 8 rounds.
CreDog
Ok-- I am a PacFan and I am biased. I'll admit it.... I have no shame.... With that being said... I was sitting 6th row during their last fight in Vegas (stayed at the MGM and they had a buy one ticket get one free the day of the fight!) and watching live I admire and respect what Marquez did that night. I actually thought, watching live, that Marquez won the majority of the rounds (as did many). I re-watched on HBO and scored it for Manny due to the knockdowns.

I have to go with my boy and predict a 4th round TKO.

I've been to many sporting events, but without a doubt the electricity in the MGM that night was second to none...

Enjoy the fight!

salvador
I've got $100 on Marquez at +170, but all else being equal, I'd probably go with Pacquiao by ko. The odds were just too good to pass up, considering that this is a pick'em fight.
iron_mike
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 13 2008, 11:02 AM) [snapback]382270[/snapback]
PAC walks through those punches, albeit eating some serious leather in the process, and gets JMM outa there within 8 rounds.

I got Manny by 8th rd stoppage as well
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 13 2008, 04:31 PM) [snapback]382319[/snapback]
Marquez by decision.

I think JMM age is going to show in this fight. I think it goes the distance but Manny is going get stronger and stronger as the fight goes on.
salvador
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 13 2008, 03:52 PM) [snapback]382310[/snapback]
I've got $100 on Marquez at +170, but all else being equal, I'd probably go with Pacquiao by ko. The odds were just too good to pass up, considering that this is a pick'em fight.

I've just rewatched the first fight for the third time this week, and one of the things that stands out most is that even after being knocked down 3 times in the first, Marquez took a hell of a lot of straight left hands and took them damn well. And that fact, along with the fact that he's a better boxer who clearly figured Pacquiao out and was able to counter him so well, makes me think that Marquez by decision is probably the most likely outcome.

Don Flamenco
^^ how'd you score that fight, Salvador?
torvix2000
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 13 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]382344[/snapback]
I've just rewatched the first fight for the third time this week, and one of the things that stands out most is that even after being knocked down 3 times in the first, Marquez took a hell of a lot of straight left hands and took them damn well. And that fact, along with the fact that he's a better boxer who clearly figured Pacquiao out and was able to counter him so well, makes me think that Marquez by decision is probably the most likely outcome.

Sorry guys, Pacquiao also did his share of figuring out Marquez. Rounds 7-12 were back to back action. Marquez will have to be better to counter Pac's increase in weight and some added weapons. As shown in his rematch with Morales, fighters like Pac sometimes only needed a couple of little improvements to win.
Jack 1000
I believe that Pacquiao took the first fight by a close decision on the strength of the multiple knockdowns. Manny has improved since the last fight and has such strong determination, perseverance and power. It was absolutely amazing how Marquez survived the first round in that first fight and came back to be competitive. I think Marquez could survive an early blitz again in what has the potential to be another great fight. But I think that the knockdowns that Manny may score early, will give him a slightly clearer decision than last time. Pacquiao by UD.

Jack
Don Flamenco
I just don't see JMM pulling off another career performance... And let's face it, that is the best Juan Manuel Marquez anyone has ever seen. That and the fact that I don't think at this age Marquez can survive another onslaught like the first round of the first fight. If Pacquiao gets him in trouble this time, I think it'll be curtains. I mean, JMM hasn't really been tested at 130, has he? I don't think a washed up Barrera or Rocky Juarez is really top tier opponents in that division.

gods son
i saw recent clips of Pac, he looks bigger and stronger..unsure about his speed, that may play a factor!
How did u view his last fight against barrera?
Mixnutz
I think I'm leaning toward Pacquiao by decision. I know that JMM will come into the fight more focused than her ever has been before but I just think Pacman is too strong for him. None the less, it's going to be one hell of a fight.
BrutalBodyShots
Marquez... most likely by close decision.
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(gods son @ Mar 13 2008, 10:47 PM) [snapback]382367[/snapback]
i saw recent clips of Pac, he looks bigger and stronger..unsure about his speed, that may play a factor!
How did u view his last fight against barrera?

Not really sure what to make of it. I thought he fought lacking the intent he usually fights with trying to get the other guy outa there but it was obvious that Barrera didn't really want to win that fight... It was kinda like that early round in their first fight where Larry Merchant mentions that Barrera almost looks as if he has conceded the fight... He was just trying to survive at that point and the rematch with the washed up Barrera was no different. Maybe Barrera just wanted the satisfaction of going 12 rounds with someone that knocked Morales out twice?

Some people say it's because Pacquiao didn't train for the fight as hard, and maybe it's true, but I try not to get too caught up with everything said about that man, especially with the Philippine media. I know if that was me in there, and I knew that the other guy just wanted to last 12 rounds and I could cruise to a victory, I might do the same thing.

This would be a good question for Torvix, the resident fighthype Pacquiao nuthu... err, I mean expert.
Titlebelt
Pacquiao by Split Decision.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I thought Marquez won the first fight by close decision, and I think he'll win this fight by close decision. Marquez has excellent boxing skills, and he'll be using him. However, as people have pointed out, he's slowed down in recent years. I still dont think Pac Man will be able to pressure him enough to get Marquez to slug though. He'll win a few rounds based off agression, but Marquez is gonna keep boxing. His jab and countering skills will be key in this fight. I think this fight will look like rounds 3-12 of the first fight. Many close rounds, and both guys giving a great performance. Should be a good one. Marquez by decision.
Kyle
kidbazooka1
I can see Marquez superior boxing skill and counter punching take him to a UD win but Manny is still the younger and fresher fighter. Marquez age is showing he is a bit slower and a little more reckless in his attack which cold be a huge factor in the fight.

I see two scenarios Marquez giving Manny a boxing lesson or Manny walking through everything and stopping Marquez late in the fight either way it should be another memorable night.
Imperius3
In the first fight, I thought Marquez schooled Pacquiao after the first round. Last time I watched it I had it 9-3 for Marquez.

Pacquiao has improved since then, and Marquez is older. I have not seen any significant decline in Marquez though. Pacquiao has shown that he is still vulnerable to highly skilled boxers.

Pacquiao is a vicious little fighter, but you know what? I believe Marquez is the hungrier fighter in this fight. He wants to reclaim that win that should have been his. He wants to obtain that immortal glory that he's been fighting for his entire career.

Marquez will be aware of that straight left hand this time. Pacquiao will be as ferocious as always and will land enough of his lightening combinations to win him a handful of rounds. However, Marquez will both slug it out and dissect Pacquiao from the outside. I can see Marquez timing his right hand and landing counter after counter. Marquez wins a close decision with scores of 116-112, 115-113, and 115-113.

Marquez UD
torvix2000
I am still basing my prediction based on their last fight and their improvements. One tad bit of improvement in Pacquiao's ability to slip punches will be crucial in this rematch. And I think that Pacquiao has indeed improved in slipping in punches.
Mean Mister Mustard
Fans and experts keep mentioning Paquiao being stronger as one of the reasons for predicting a victory for him. But if he is stronger, so what? He's not an inside fighter, he may plan to change tactics and smother Marquez by pinning him on the ropes but by doing so he would have to walk through some hard punches.

Paquiao's best chance at winning this is by utilizing the same gameplan that he employed in the Barerra rematch. Use his legs by darting in and out and frustrating Marquez. JMM has trouble with guys who make him engage and Paquiao's energy and speed could frustrate Paquiao. By utilizing this gameplan Paquiao would be giving Marquez the chance to win rounds but because of his speed and activity Paquiao would win a close decision by outworking JMM.

I think Paquiao wins this by doing just a little more but I hope JMM wins. He deserves a big win.
salvador
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 13 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]382357[/snapback]
Sorry guys, Pacquiao also did his share of figuring out Marquez. Rounds 7-12 were back to back action. Marquez will have to be better to counter Pac's increase in weight and some added weapons. As shown in his rematch with Morales, fighters like Pac sometimes only needed a couple of little improvements to win.

The main point of my post was that JMM was able to outbox Pacquiao in spite of the fact that he was so close to being ko'd in the first. That third knockdown was brutal and JMM barely made the count. But even groggy and with a broken nose, JMM was able to handle a very fresh and confident Pacquiao for 11 rounds. He was able to counter Pacquiao's speed even in a damaged state. I think that a fresh JMM will have the advantage in the fight until Pacquiao lands something big.

Pacquiao has a good chance of winning this, but it won't be because he outboxes JMM with his improved right hand.

Mean Mister Mustard
Both men made the weight. Pacquiao 129 Marquez 130. They both looked in terrific condition.
CreDog
One thing that is for certain.....

One group of people, whether it be PacFans or PacHaters, will be eating lots of crow on Sunday.

Don't blink.... I got PacMan torching Marquez early...
salvador
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 13 2008, 08:27 PM) [snapback]382351[/snapback]
^^ how'd you score that fight, Salvador?

I had it 111-110 Pacquiao.

There were 4 rounds that I had even that could have gone either way. Outside of those, I had Marquez winning 5-3, with Pacquiao getting a 10-6 round in the first.

rusty_trombone
'I picked Pac by KO, just because that is what i want to see. i love rooting for pac, just to see the dejected look on all the mexican faces. This little asian dude destroying all of a nations heroes, it's freaking hilarious.
Elijah
Marquez by UD but he absolutely cannot be baited into a slugfest with MP. He has to use his boxing skills (which are obviously better than MP). He can stand toe to toe in short spurts but his footwork is his key to pulling out the decision.

Work the jab and use plenty of movement, he laid the blueprint in the first fight just has to execute this again.

Both looked to be in great shape, like someone said MP is a freak but JMM looks to be in better shape than his previous fights.

Stamina more than anything else may be the deciding factor in this fight. The more active fighter will probably pull this one out.

I think with Rafael losing will be even more motivation for him to will his way to a win.
torvix2000
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 15 2008, 03:30 AM) [snapback]382490[/snapback]
'I picked Pac by KO, just because that is what i want to see. i love rooting for pac, just to see the dejected look on all the mexican faces. This little asian dude destroying all of a nations heroes, it's freaking hilarious.

And KidBazooka's still not after you after all this time?

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 15 2008, 05:06 AM) [snapback]382496[/snapback]
What would be funnier is to see a nations ONLY hero to get destroyed.

It's about time somebody put a stop to him!!!
The CEO
I'm going with JMM by decision...something else to consider is his brother's great performances with and recent loss to Vazquez...I believe Juan Manuel will go all out to solidify himself as the dominant brother (i.e. sibling rivalry)....

I also feel that Pac is slipping, and that he's not as hungry as he used to be....being an idol in the Phillipines, making movies where he's kissing bitches (that pic Nobudius upped...lol)....it WILL be a tactical, well fought battle on both sides....but I'm feeling that Marquez has some edges going into this...
salvador
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Mar 15 2008, 09:26 AM) [snapback]382517[/snapback]
I'm going with JMM by decision...something else to consider is his brother's great performances with and recent loss to Vazquez...I believe Juan Manuel will go all out to solidify himself as the dominant brother (i.e. sibling rivalry)....

I also feel that Pac is slipping, and that he's not as hungry as he used to be....being an idol in the Phillipines, making movies where he's kissing bitches (that pic Nobudius upped...lol)....it WILL be a tactical, well fought battle on both sides....but I'm feeling that Marquez has some edges going into this...

I agree that JMM is the hungrier fighter and that that will be a huge advantage. But as far as the sibling rivalry is concerned, I think that right now, in spite of the fact that JMM has been in two huge fights and beat an aging MAB, I think that Rafael's legacy is already stronger than JMM's. The Vasquez trilogy made him an immortal. I think JMM needs a win just to catch up.

But I disagree with the idea that this will be tactical. If anything, PAcquiao must realize that the more violent the fight is the better it is for him. Marquez, on the other hand, WILL be thinking about his brother's incredible performance two weeks ago and that will make him more likely to trade with Manny than is probably in his best interest. I think this will be an all action fight.
The CEO
Oh...I didn't mean tactical as in Winky Wright "tactical"...I used tactical and battle in the same sentence...as in they're both going to battle...with tactics...it won't be sloppy in other words...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
God damn I'm so hyped just for this day. I got Gopher basketball at 3, hoping they pull of some more miracles. Then, the fight is a few hours after that. Just ordered the fight gonna have a buddy over, and some family over. Should be a good one. I've read predictions, and everybody is just split down the middle on this fight. I still think Marquez is going to win a close one, but it could go either way.
Kyle
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 15 2008, 01:06 AM) [snapback]382496[/snapback]
What would be funnier is to see a nations ONLY hero to get destroyed.

maybe, either way i win
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.