Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams-Quintana Rematch June 7
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
According to ESPN.com, this fight will be on Showtime on June 7 the same card as Forrest-Mora.

I love that Williams is taking this fight immediately. He needs to get this monkey off his back. I'm just not sure what adjustments he can make to keep from getting hit with those counter left hands.

One thing I think Williams will do (something he should have learned in the amateurs) is shorten his punches just to land more, even if they don't do much damage. I also think he'll use his jab more. If he can make these adjustments, then losing to Quintana might turn out to be a blessing in the long run.
salvador
He could definitely get good fights at 154-160, the question is whether or not he has the power to be effective there. His advantages are so obvious at 147 and there's also so many big money fights at 147 that if he could beat Quintana (which I think he will) and he doesn't have serious trouble making weight, it just makes sense for him to stay at 147.

BUt for all I know, it was the weight issue that made him so listless against Quintana.
Douchebag
QUOTE(salvador @ Mar 15 2008, 09:15 PM) [snapback]382571[/snapback]
He could definitely get good fights at 154-160, the question is whether or not he has the power to be effective there. His advantages are so obvious at 147 and there's also so many big money fights at 147 that if he could beat Quintana (which I think he will) and he doesn't have serious trouble making weight, it just makes sense for him to stay at 147.

BUt for all I know, it was the weight issue that made him so listless against Quintana.

Quintana beats him again, book it.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 15 2008, 09:56 PM) [snapback]382583[/snapback]
I thought Quintana won the first time, but not as impressively as most people believe. I thought Quintana JUST edged it in a very close fight. I think Williams learns some things and does better. I have Williams in the rematch.

How the fuck did he just edge it out when by the end of the fight Williams was swolen with not one but two cuts over both eyes. The only reason one could even say something so remotely odd is because Quintana let Paul get in the fight a tad in the middle rounds but even those rounds where Quintana rounds if they where scored properly.
D-MARV
I, Too had Carlos winning a narrow decision. 115-113, but Ill take 116-112 (one round could have gone either way but I gave it to Paul). "IF" Paul doesn't have any weight issues like I think he does then He takes the Rematch. But I wont make my official prediction until closer to the fight
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 15 2008, 09:56 PM) [snapback]382583[/snapback]
I thought Quintana won the first time, but not as impressively as most people believe. I thought Quintana JUST edged it in a very close fight. I think Williams learns some things and does better. I have Williams in the rematch.

Quintana was clearly the better boxer in the first fight and I don't think that is going to change in a matter of a few months. But the thing is that Williams really didn't throw any 50% shots; he didn't throw for the sake of landing. Now, I 've never seen Williams throw for the sake of landing, but it's definitely something that would help him. It's a natural weapon for him given his arm length, and maybe now that he's been beaten he'll see the value in it. If so, Williams takes the rematch in a fairly convincing fashion. If not, we'll see a repeat of the first fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Quintana deserved the win, he landed the cleaner and harder shots but like many here I didn't see Quintana completely dominating Williams. Quintana had to use every ounce of gas in his tank to win this but I don't know what Williams could do other than add more pop to his punches.
BigG
I think Quintanas gonna win again. Williams wasnt throwing because of Carlos counterpunching and movement.
BrutalBodyShots
Sounds like a good fight to bet Quintana on... I'm not sure if there are any odds out yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Williams favored to win. I'm a huge believer in the best indicator of the future being the past, and Quintana just clearly beat Williams.
streetlion1
Unless Williams made a serious upgrade to his defensive skills I cant see him winning this fight. He was finally exposed by one of the weakest big name Welters watch for him to get hit with alot of bombs once again.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
BIG props to Williams for accepting this rematch. I dont think he should take it, but he's kinda like Shane Mosley in a way. Taking the immediate rematch when the style matchup isn't there. Quintana just has a bad style for Williams, and he's going to struggle again. I think the fight will be a bit closer than the first, but Quintana will take a 115-113 type decision. He's an excellent boxer, who just had a bad night against Cotto. Williams won't be able to deal with that slick southpaw style. Should be another pretty good fight though.
EpTXCHAMP
hopefully there wont be another immediate re match clause because if there is it will just keep p-will and quintana in the middle of the welter pack. they need to add another big name fighter to their resume to get the bigger fights that are available at welter

I got p-will pulling this one out By SPLIT D 115-113
The Original MrFactor
Williams looked like a young Coyote coming in to the 1st fight with Quintana. I expect him to be much more relaxed and aware that he's fighting a southpaw this time around. I expect him to keep his distance and box a little more. The Quintana rounds in the 1st fight were glaring, while the Williams rounds were all close rounds, where some probably went to Quintana. I expect to see the Williams that beat Margarito to make an appearance for about 8 or 9 rounds this time around.

I dont expect to see the young Coyote making over-anxious jabs to the side where Quintana's head isnt. I expect Williams to get his title back by a wide decision...
kidbazooka1
Williams is making that imediate rematch mistake he should talk to Mosley and Taylor about that. It will be a repeat of the first fight Quintana will school him all night.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 17 2008, 05:49 AM) [snapback]382919[/snapback]
I agree with you. I didn't think the fight was as dominant as other to begin with. I thought it was competitive and not the type of fight where you think that Williams cannot win because the first was so dominant. I also expect Williams to make some small adjustments and I think he will get the win this time around.

Definately. Quintana didnt win in dominant fashion. He won a close 115-113 or 116-112 decision. I think that Williams lost the fight moreso than Quintana winning it, if you know what i mean...
BigG
Williams beats Quintana if he sharpens up defense. Williams power has alwasy been overrated...he can never brutalize Carlos like Cotto did so he'll have to outpoint him.

I personally dont think he has what it takes to beat Carlos in the rematch. A slick guy like Carlos is just bad news for Williams.
Hodge
Paul has a solid chin and he was taking a lot of hard shots out of Carlos. The thing is Carlos didn't like how he was getting hit. He did a good job of sticking and moving. I think if Paul can cut off the ring a lot better and get a southpaw to do some training with, he could pull it off.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 18 2008, 04:30 AM) [snapback]383048[/snapback]
Williams beats Quintana if he sharpens up defense. Williams power has alwasy been overrated...he can never brutalize Carlos like Cotto did so he'll have to outpoint him.

I personally dont think he has what it takes to beat Carlos in the rematch. A slick guy like Carlos is just bad news for Williams.

I don't think that he can change his defense at this point, other than on the margin. Williams's defense has always been driven by the fact that his opponent is generally more concerned with being hit than landing. The problem with Quintana is that he made Williams miss too frequently and so he had an easy time countering with the left hand. The only way Williams is going to change that is to land more punches. And the only way he's going to land more punches is to shorten them, use his jab more, and be careful not to overcommit until he establishes a rhythm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.