Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins-Taylor 3 at 168
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
What do you guys think? Are you of the opinion that styles make fights that that Taylor would get another decision over Hopkins?

Of course many (myself included) don't think Hopkins lost to Taylor in the first place...

Taking all factors into consideration since their last meeting until the present, do you see any differences if the two were to fight again? I think Taylor is only getting worse. I mean his stamina is horrible... getting gassed from throwing 36 punches per round or whatever. Since the Hopkins fight I've though Taylor has looked average at best and he's been knocked out once since then.

I would actually take Hopkins to decision Taylor 116-112 or so, possibly stopping Taylor late. Again, this is coming from a guy that really doesn't believe Hopkins lost to Taylor in the first place though. And I threw 168 out there because it seems like the most obvious spot for them to meet.

BigG
Bascially Iplays how like how the first fights played out..only question is do the judges give it to Hopkins this time? Becuase I thought Hopkins edged both fights..115-113 each.
Method
I thought Hopkiuns won the first 2 fights...116-112 the first, and 115-113/116-112 the second, different reasons both fights.

Additionally, I think Bernard really took a lot out of Taylor...perhaps not so much physically, but basically just executed his psyche. Taylor hardly landed a fucking thing against Bernard and ate so many short accurate counters. I think the two fights with Hopkins kind of reminded Jermain of just how deficient he really was. Then you have the Wright fight...etc...etc...etc...

Look, Jermain Taylor really has nothing to be ashamed of IMO. No matter what I or anyone thinks about outcomes, he was victories over Hopkins, a draw w Wright, Ouma (who everyone loved), and Spinks. He coulda finished Pavlik in the first fight (but didn't). I mean, JT has a solid little resume at an early stage.

ALl that said, back to the question at hand...

I'd probably take Hopkins at 168. I think Taylor is such damaged goods, and if the fight werre at 175, I'd prob take Hopkins by stoppage.
streetlion1
Hopkins starts faster this time and dominates Taylor throughout the fight...easy u.d. victory for B-Hop.
D-MARV
BHOP would win a close decision somewhere along the lines of 116-112, 115-113.

I thought BHOP won the first fight easily. JT got too much credit for thrwoing punches that were not even landing. The second fight I wasn't as upset with the decision but I still could have gone to BHOP!
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone else agree that Taylor isn't as good today as he was when he first faced Hopkins?

I just think his abandonment of the jab, getting KTFO and simply just being in rough fights has taken enough out of him physically AND mentally to have Hopkins actually be awarded the nod if they fought again.

U.S. Champ
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 16 2008, 12:50 AM) [snapback]382682[/snapback]
I thought Hopkiuns won the first 2 fights...116-112 the first, and 115-113/116-112 the second, different reasons both fights.

Additionally, I think Bernard really took a lot out of Taylor...perhaps not so much physically, but basically just executed his psyche. Taylor hardly landed a fucking thing against Bernard and ate so many short accurate counters. I think the two fights with Hopkins kind of reminded Jermain of just how deficient he really was. Then you have the Wright fight...etc...etc...etc...

Look, Jermain Taylor really has nothing to be ashamed of IMO. No matter what I or anyone thinks about outcomes, he was victories over Hopkins, a draw w Wright, Ouma (who everyone loved), and Spinks. He coulda finished Pavlik in the first fight (but didn't). I mean, JT has a solid little resume at an early stage.

ALl that said, back to the question at hand...

I'd probably take Hopkins at 168. I think Taylor is such damaged goods, and if the fight werre at 175, I'd prob take Hopkins by stoppage.

Personally I think Jermain Taylor should be doing a stint in federal prison for his obvious armed robberies of Cory Spinks and Winky Wright
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I would still give this fight to Taylor. Styles make fights. Taylor is more active in the early going and would outwork Hopkins. Whether he is effective or not, the judges like it. I thought Hopkins won the first fight, but lost the 2nd fight 115-113. I dont think Taylor is damaged goods, as he gave a damn good effort against Pavlik. Many had that fight a draw. I think Taylor would just outwork Hopkins enough in the early going to take those rounds, and then survive the latter rounds. A draw wouldnt be out of the question, but Taylor by SD would be my pick.
Kyle
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Mar 16 2008, 02:43 PM) [snapback]382830[/snapback]
I would still give this fight to Taylor. Styles make fights. Taylor is more active in the early going and would outwork Hopkins. Whether he is effective or not, the judges like it. I thought Hopkins won the first fight, but lost the 2nd fight 115-113. I dont think Taylor is damaged goods, as he gave a damn good effort against Pavlik. Many had that fight a draw. I think Taylor would just outwork Hopkins enough in the early going to take those rounds, and then survive the latter rounds. A draw wouldnt be out of the question, but Taylor by SD would be my pick.
Kyle

I kind of agree with this sentiment. I'm one of the few who had JT winning both fights, if I remember, 115-113 and 116-112 the 2nd time around. At 168, I see both guys doing about the same. Taylor can throw with reckless abandon and not have to worry too much about Hopkins power. I do think that Taylor regressed under Manny Steward. Nothing Hopkins did to him made him any worse. If anything, I think it made him TRY to be a bit more economic with his punches. I think the regression was a by product of who his trainer was. I see Hopkins as the same guy too. He can beat the Tarver's and Wrights of the world, but will have trouble with the Jones's, Taylor's and Calzaghe's because of the vast difference in speed and activity.
streetlion1
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Mar 17 2008, 01:06 AM) [snapback]382914[/snapback]
I kind of agree with this sentiment. I'm one of the few who had JT winning both fights, if I remember, 115-113 and 116-112 the 2nd time around. At 168, I see both guys doing about the same. Taylor can throw with reckless abandon and not have to worry too much about Hopkins power. I do think that Taylor regressed under Manny Steward. Nothing Hopkins did to him made him any worse. If anything, I think it made him TRY to be a bit more economic with his punches. I think the regression was a by product of who his trainer was. I see Hopkins as the same guy too. He can beat the Tarver's and Wrights of the world, but will have trouble with the Jones's, Taylor's and Calzaghe's because of the vast difference in speed and activity.

A difference in power....Taylor has power to worry about Calzaghe does not...and Jones would get handled he wouldnt be fighting no Trinidad.
PR316
Taylor would make it awkward for him in the early goings, but I think Hopkins would close in on him earlier knowing full well now that Taylor folds mentally under the pressure. Plus Taylor doesn't let his hands go as loosely as he did when he fought Bernard those first 2 times.

Hopkins decisions him clearly in a rather ugly fight but does more than enough to get the job done.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 17 2008, 10:31 AM) [snapback]382943[/snapback]
A difference in power....Taylor has power to worry about Calzaghe does not...and Jones would get handled he wouldnt be fighting no Trinidad.

Seriously I want some of that stuff you smoking, Roy Jones is the reason he stayed away from light heavy so many years and is ducking him now, everybody in the world of boxing wants to see Jones-Hopkins 2 you must've forgot that Roy was the best of our generation and that no one wanted to fight him until he was vulnerable from losing all that muscle from going heavy, and remember B.Hop fought Tito himself. As for JT I think it would be interesting since B.Hop is the greatest Technician of our time and Kelly gave us a roadmap to beating Jermain I can't predict the winner but Calzaghe is in trouble with those soft azz punches I really don't think he realizes what he's gotten himself into Bernard's bodywork alone will fold Joe Before the 10th round
STEVENSKI
It depends on weather Nard fills his nutsac & jumps on Taylor early blasting him out. Hopkins has nothing to fear with Taylors power so why not just go in & kick the shit out of him & retire him?
Method
Styles definitey make fights, but Hopkins is better off, physically, at 175, and Taylor is definitely not the same guy.

At Lt hvy or super middle, I like Hopkins.
PR316
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 17 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]382983[/snapback]
It depends on weather Nard fills his nutsac & jumps on Taylor early blasting him out. Hopkins has nothing to fear with Taylors power so why not just go in & kick the shit out of him & retire him?

Taylor isn't a huge puncher, but his HAND SPEED can catch a fighter off guard, landing a punch that the other guy does not see.

Because of his speed, you do have to be a bit careful. But I think B-Hop gave him WAY TOO MUCH RESPECT.. More so in the 2nd fight than the 1st. Maybe with getting his body down to 160 pounds caused him to be less energetic and less sharp in the early goings. But he does start faster now at these higher weights.
streetlion1
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Mar 17 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]382981[/snapback]
Seriously I want some of that stuff you smoking, Roy Jones is the reason he stayed away from light heavy so many years and is ducking him now, everybody in the world of boxing wants to see Jones-Hopkins 2 you must've forgot that Roy was the best of our generation and that no one wanted to fight him until he was vulnerable from losing all that muscle from going heavy, and remember B.Hop fought Tito himself. As for JT I think it would be interesting since B.Hop is the greatest Technician of our time and Kelly gave us a roadmap to beating Jermain I can't predict the winner but Calzaghe is in trouble with those soft azz punches I really don't think he realizes what he's gotten himself into Bernard's bodywork alone will fold Joe Before the 10th round

Aint nobody ducking lame ass RJJ.....B-Hop owned the middlewieght division for a decade..it took 2 robberies to make him move outta his spot. the reason thier fight never happened was Jones didnt wanna split the purse down the middle. B-Hop makes RJJ look silly if they fought now!

-Completely agree about the Hopkins-Calzaghe fight though!..I dont see Joe giving B-Hop nearly as much trouble as alot of these guys are saying...Calzaghe is gonna get hurt!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.