Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Gomez have the tools to beat Cotto?.........
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingStill#1

I am a Miguel Cotto fan. I am a little bit worried about this upcomming bout on April 12th.......Should I be?........
Mino
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 17 2008, 11:19 PM) [snapback]383019[/snapback]
I am a Miguel Cotto fan. I am a little bit worried about this upcomming bout on April 12th.......Should I be?........

Hell no Cotto is gonna blast him outta there....No Worries
MarzB
I don't think Gomez takes it to the body well. He's a decent boxer and also I don't think he's as mentally tough as Cotto. Also, I don't think he has anything that bothers Cotto. He doesn't have movement, his jab is decent but not enough to stop Cotto's attack.
Nobudius
lol-you should always be somewhat concerned with Cotto. That's what makes him fun to watch.

Mino
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Mar 18 2008, 12:28 AM) [snapback]383025[/snapback]
lol-you should always be somewhat concerned with Cotto. That's what makes him fun to watch.

Not since hes moved..has looked pretty good against much stiffer comp than Gomez
BigG
Nah...Gomez is a tough kid but hes gonna get beatdown and it's gonna be brutal.
kidbazooka1
Gomez is tough and has a pretty damn good chin but Cotto's bodyshots would be too much for him down the stretch.

Cotto by late stoppage.
The Original MrFactor
Gomez is a technically sound middle of the road WW. He will give Cotto some work. He may fold under a brutal body attack ala Carlos Quintana. However, he's tough and will work. Most of all, he's not gonna go away easily. i'm expecting a slugfest and Cotto may have to weather the storm. i expectr Cotto to win, but not without trouble.

I think Gomez is just the type of "overlooked' opponent who can give a guy like Cotto trouble...
rusty_trombone
no. rolleyes.gif
Douchebag
Gomez does not have the power or movement to keep Cotto off of him. Cotto inside of 7.
Mino
Anyone here gonna be in attendance for this card???
Titlebelt
Gomez will put up a spirited effort, but Cotto should end his night within 5-6 rounds.
streetlion1
Gomez is in for a beating!....Gets K.O.ed within 7 rds.
BoxingStill#1
I looking for mid round ko Cotto......
Imperius3
Cotto takes Gomez out late with an accumulation of punches. Cotto TKO 9

On a slightly unrelated note, I recently re-watched Cotto-Mosley, and I scored it 114-114. Close fight, could have gone either way.
Fitz
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 23 2008, 07:48 PM) [snapback]383532[/snapback]
Cotto takes Gomez out late with an accumulation of punches. Cotto TKO 9

On a slightly unrelated note, I recently re-watched Cotto-Mosley, and I scored it 114-114. Close fight, could have gone either way.

I thought it was close as well, and it probably could have swung either way. But I thought the better guy got the decision. I felt that Cotto's best work in the fight was better than Mosley's and I try to not take anything away from Mosley, but I thought Cotto made things a little harder for himself than he should have and felt he coasted a little late in the fight. Mosley came on strong late, but I felt that Cotto and Mosley both kind of met half way. Mosley turned it up a bit and Cotto coasted a little. I didn't think it was just Mosley being too much. Good fight though, but I thought the better guy on the night for the decision.
Imperius3
I had Mosley winning 3 out of the last 4 rounds in that fight. Granted, some were close and who knows that might change if I watch the fight again. Cotto coasting did cost him some rounds. I personally believe Mosley's body work wore him down a bit.
Yucayeke
This is a gimme fight for Cotto, after all he is entitled to an easy fight after banging out Zab and Mosley last year.

Gomez is a good fighter, but IMO he is not in Cotto league. Late round stoppage for Miguel
D-MARV
Cotto will knock him out in Round 6!!!!
Personally, I think this will be a fairly easy fight for Cotto. If he disposed of Quintana by the 5th round I dont see Gomez doing any better!

Imperius,
I scorec the figth 115-113 for Cotto. It really was a close fight and by far the closest fight Cotto has been in but I didnt believe the Sugar Shane gave it all he Had! At the end he had Cotto backing away and Shane just didn't go get him like he should have. Just my Opinion.
BrutalBodyShots
I'm pretty sure I had Mosley by a point in the Cotto fight, 6-5-1 or 114-113. I've got to rewatch that one though.

Imperius3
I think Gomez is a little better than some are giving him credit for. Someone mentioned above that Cotto knocked out Quintana in 5 so he will do the same to Gomez. Well, Cotto knocked out Maussa and Branco in 8. Knocked out Urkal and Judah in 11.

Gomez is a tough, durable fighter who is more skilled than some of Cotto's past opponents....but definitely not all of them. Gomez has never fought a 12 round fight before, and he will be taking more punishment than he's ever had before. We'll find out how much Gomez can take, but late in the fight I think we will see Cotto start landing at will, forcing a ref stoppage.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 23 2008, 08:26 PM) [snapback]383636[/snapback]
I think Gomez is a little better than some are giving him credit for. Someone mentioned above that Cotto knocked out Quintana in 5 so he will do the same to Gomez. Well, Cotto knocked out Maussa and Branco in 8. Knocked out Urkal and Judah in 11.

Gomez is a tough, durable fighter who is more skilled than some of Cotto's past opponents....but definitely not all of them. Gomez has never fought a 12 round fight before, and he will be taking more punishment than he's ever had before. We'll find out how much Gomez can take, but late in the fight I think we will see Cotto start landing at will, forcing a ref stoppage.

I believe Gomez is a tough fighter! But stylistically he is all right for Cotto! He is a brawler with boxing skills but lacks the power to push Cotto back or keep Cotto off of him! I think that round 1 will be a feel out round. Round 2-5 will be Cotto working the body and imposing his will! Gomez might have a moment or 2 but once he realizes he isn't hurting Cotto then he will be psychologically screwed!!! And unlike Judah, Gomez lacks the footwork and strength to keep Cotto off of him. In this fight Cotto holds every physical advantage and that is why I dont see this fight going past 6 rounds! Gomez has heart and may not go out but I see his corner, doctor, or the Ref stopping this fight!

Oh and as far as The Maussa and Branco fights, the Cotto that fought at 140 is not as good as The Cotto that's fighting at 147! i hate to use weight as an excuse but I honestly believe Cotto was having problems making 140!
Imperius3
That's true, Cotto does seem to be better at 147. I really can't see Gomez pulling this one off, but I think he has the strength and will to go past 6 rounds. We'll see how it plays out.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 23 2008, 10:27 PM) [snapback]383650[/snapback]
That's true, Cotto does seem to be better at 147. I really can't see Gomez pulling this one off, but I think he has the strength and will to go past 6 rounds. We'll see how it plays out.

I may be a little tough on Gomez but Im a Cotto Fan who honestly thinks that he will destroy Gomez in 6. But like you said we'll see. I have been wrong before! Hell, I was terribly wrong Friday night! LOL
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 23 2008, 05:01 AM) [snapback]383535[/snapback]
I thought it was close as well, and it probably could have swung either way. But I thought the better guy got the decision. I felt that Cotto's best work in the fight was better than Mosley's and I try to not take anything away from Mosley, but I thought Cotto made things a little harder for himself than he should have and felt he coasted a little late in the fight. Mosley came on strong late, but I felt that Cotto and Mosley both kind of met half way. Mosley turned it up a bit and Cotto coasted a little. I didn't think it was just Mosley being too much. Good fight though, but I thought the better guy on the night for the decision.

With this being said,...If Cotto can stand and box with a Sugar Shane, then he can definately stand and box with a Gomez.

I would be much more entertained and confident with this issue if I knew he was going to come out with the intentions of destroying this guy, not playing with his meal like a cat would.

I want to see a hungry Cotto,....Not a "content so lets box" Cotto.

A KO will undeniably get Floyds attention...Im sure...It will give him more of a reason to.....in the words of Suagr Shane himself........"Grow Wings"......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.