Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao should fight Guzman
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
This is a fight I've honestly wanted to see for years. I think Guzman had all the ability to be right up there with Pacquiao, Marquez, Morales, Barrera but I guess he just never got an opportunity. He was ducked at 122 by Vazquez and Larios and then ducked at 126 by Scott Harrison. Now he is finally making some noise at 130 with wins over Soto and Barrios and I'd honeslty love to see him in the mix.

Guzman is not as technically sound as Marquez is....BUT he is certainly faster..quicker feet and hands and sharp reflexes. Plus he is a good counter-puncher himself. I honestly would like to see Pacquiao in a big fight with someone else besides Barrera, old Morales, and Marquez. This would be a pretty interesting matchup.

Douchebag
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 18 2008, 06:44 AM) [snapback]383053[/snapback]
This is a fight I've honestly wanted to see for years. I think Guzman had all the ability to be right up there with Pacquiao, Marquez, Morales, Barrera but I guess he just never got an opportunity. He was ducked at 122 by Vazquez and Larios and then ducked at 126 by Scott Harrison. Now he is finally making some noise at 130 with wins over Soto and Barrios and I'd honeslty love to see him in the mix.

Guzman is not as technically sound as Marquez is....BUT he is certainly faster..quicker feet and hands and sharp reflexes. Plus he is a good counter-puncher himself. I honestly would like to see Pacquiao in a big fight with someone else besides Barrera, old Morales, and Marquez. This would be a pretty interesting matchup.

too much risk too, little reward for PacMan
Don Flamenco
straight punches versus wide punches
JakeNDaBox
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 18 2008, 09:16 AM) [snapback]383061[/snapback]
too much risk too, little reward for PacMan

I'm sick and tired of this excuse being used across the board. It applies to fighters on the way up, jockeying for position in a particular division, or rebounding from a devastating loss and looking to rebuild.

Manny Pacquiao is one of the best in the sport today (some even regard him as THE best). He's now the the linear junior lightweight champion, and is a lock for the Hall of Fame. Not to mention he's coming off of a career-high payday, and is among the highest paid fighters in the sport (a status long overdue).

The fact that Joan Guzman is a top contender to his linear crown alone negates the "high risk, low reward" factor. It's now Pacquiao's obligation to fight him, at least if he plans on sticking around at 130. But all that aside, Pac is way past the point where a single loss (IF he were to lose against Guzman) trumps everything he's accomplished to this point.
Douchebag
QUOTE(JakeNDaBox @ Mar 18 2008, 10:59 AM) [snapback]383082[/snapback]
I'm sick and tired of this excuse being used across the board. It applies to fighters on the way up, jockeying for position in a particular division, or rebounding from a devastating loss and looking to rebuild.

Manny Pacquiao is one of the best in the sport today (some even regard him as THE best). He's now the the linear junior lightweight champion, and is a lock for the Hall of Fame. Not to mention he's coming off of a career-high payday, and is among the highest paid fighters in the sport (a status long overdue).

The fact that Joan Guzman is a top contender to his linear crown alone negates the "high risk, low reward" factor. It's now Pacquiao's obligation to fight him, at least if he plans on sticking around at 130. But all that aside, Pac is way past the point where a single loss (IF he were to lose against Guzman) trumps everything he's accomplished to this point.

Theres just so much money for Pac if he moves up in weight right now vs. fighting one last fight at 130 that isn't going to bring him substancial $ and on top of that it's a fight that he could lose.
kidbazooka1
Guzman style would cause big problems for both Marquez and Manny. I wouldn't be suprised if he beats both of em'
Douchebag
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 18 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]383102[/snapback]
Guzman style would cause big problems for both Marquez and Manny. I wouldn't be suprised if he beats both of em'

I agree................
Mean Mister Mustard
I honestly believe the same thing: Guzman would beat Paquiao and Marquez. The guys is slick and fast, 2 things that will give problems to anyone. But, though he might beat Marquez and Paquiao, I think the guy that would beat him would be the one we would least expect.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 18 2008, 03:08 PM) [snapback]383108[/snapback]
I honestly believe the same thing: Guzman would beat Paquiao and Marquez. The guys is slick and fast, 2 things that will give problems to anyone. But, though he might beat Marquez and Paquiao, I think the guy that would beat him would be the one we would least expect.

You're right on point Guzman's style would make manny look over the hill and being a fan of manny I wouldn't mess with that kid if I was him
Don Flamenco
nothing is for sure, but by the looks of things, Manny is gonna be moving up in weight to challenge David Diaz. JMM would then be rated #1 by the Ring Magazine at junior lightweight and Joan Guzman would be right there at #2. I think this would be another good fight I'd like to see Marquez in, other than the rematch with pacquiao, and I wouldn't count him out just yet. One thing though, his age is getting up there so I hope someone out there thinks of getting this fight done soon!
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 18 2008, 04:42 PM) [snapback]383112[/snapback]
nothing is for sure, but by the looks of things, Manny is gonna be moving up in weight to challenge David Diaz. JMM would then be rated #1 by the Ring Magazine at junior lightweight and Joan Guzman would be right there at #2. I think this would be another good fight I'd like to see Marquez in, other than the rematch with pacquiao, and I wouldn't count him out just yet. One thing though, his age is getting up there so I hope someone out there thinks of getting this fight done soon!

If I were Marquez I wouldn't take the Guzman fight it's too risky if he losses he may never get a 3rd fight with Manny.

Morales gave Manny an imediate rematch after beating him now Manny should suck it up and give it to Marquez especially considering the majority thought Manny lost.
BrutalBodyShots
Guzman is a TOUGH fight for anyone at or around 130.

mexi-cutioner
i think as of now, the only way guzman can fight pac is if guzman is willing to fight him at 135. Pacquiao is putting his body through too much trying to constantly make the 130 weight limit, freddie roach even says so and personally i dont think the amount of weight hes gaining between the weigh in and fight night is helping him either as his body has to adapt to the weight difference and go through the stress of boxing in such a short amount of time
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 18 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]383120[/snapback]
If I were Marquez I wouldn't take the Guzman fight it's too risky if he losses he may never get a 3rd fight with Manny.

I would pick Marquez over Guzman and even if JMM loses I would still pay money to watch that third fight.... Just like many of us payed money to watch the second fight between Pac and Morales after Morales lost to Zaheer Raheem.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Mar 18 2008, 08:37 PM) [snapback]383123[/snapback]
i think as of now, the only way guzman can fight pac is if guzman is willing to fight him at 135. Pacquiao is putting his body through too much trying to constantly make the 130 weight limit, freddie roach even says so and personally i dont think the amount of weight hes gaining between the weigh in and fight night is helping him either as his body has to adapt to the weight difference and go through the stress of boxing in such a short amount of time

I disagree... Pacquiao bulked up intentionally to fight at higher weights for bigger paydays. The same way Mosley did. The same way Mayweather did. When guys artifically bulk up that way they CAN lay off the weights and do straight cardio to fight in a lower division. Pacquiao doesn't have to "struggle" to make 130; the guy could fight at 126 still without question but he's looking upwards for bigger money fights. Bottom line, Pacquiao would be moving up to 135 of choice not out of necessity.
torvix2000
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Mar 19 2008, 01:04 AM) [snapback]383126[/snapback]
I would pick Marquez over Guzman and even if JMM loses I would still pay money to watch that third fight.... Just like many of us payed money to watch the second fight between Pac and Morales after Morales lost to Zaheer Raheem.

This is a super risky fight for Marquez. Guzman is not as aggressive as Pacquiao. For all we know, Guzman may use his speed and make circles around him. Bad style matchup. Marquez may lose another split here.
jerika27
After the tremendous action fight they waged in their disputed 2004 draw, nobody should be at all surprised that when Pacquiao and Marquez finally met in a rematch, they produced another enthralling, bloody and dramatic fight for the ages.

It could have gone either way -- they are so perfectly matched that virtually every round was close other than the third round, in which Pacquiao nailed Marquez with a left hand and knocked him down. The 12th round was also a big Marquez round.

The disturbing thing was to hear the crybaby Marquez camp whining and complaining endlessly about the decision as though it was scandalous. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. It's one thing to proclaim victory and express disappointment in a close decision loss. It's another to imply that some kind of shadowy element had it in for you and that the judging was somehow not on the up and up. The Marquez camp was almost as bad a few weeks ago when Rafael Marquez, Juan's brother, lost a tough decision in his rubber match with Israel Vazquez.

There are fights in which certain scores are mind-blowing and you really have to question the competency of the judges. This was not one of them. It was merely a razor-close fight that was awesome to watch because it had many close rounds. Marquez really has only himself to blame for the defeat. If he didn't get knocked down, the fight would have been a draw and he would have kept his title. Sure, many ringside media had it for Marquez, but only by a point or two, and even those who had him winning didn't complain about the official decision.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Mar 19 2008, 02:50 AM) [snapback]383142[/snapback]
This is a super risky fight for Marquez. Guzman is not as aggressive as Pacquiao. For all we know, Guzman may use his speed and make circles around him. Bad style matchup. Marquez may lose another split here.

Because of his style I think Guzman would beat both Manny and Marquez but would have an obviously tougher fight with Marquez because of the countering.
ron
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 18 2008, 01:31 PM) [snapback]383102[/snapback]

yup, maybe but as you can see on boxing today if you want to have a good payday you must be too agressive so that the crowd would love to watch you plus you must have a good promoter,a counter pucher like Marquez or guzman never reach the fame and money that Barera, Morales and Paquiao enjoyed on theire career, so it is too impossible to have a match up like Guzman Vs Pacman....
Tha Docta
QUOTE(ron @ Mar 22 2008, 07:18 AM) [snapback]383400[/snapback]
yup, maybe but as you can see on boxing today if you want to have a good payday you must be too agressive so that the crowd would love to watch you plus you must have a good promoter,a counter pucher like Marquez or guzman never reach the fame and money that Barera, Morales and Paquiao enjoyed on theire career, so it is too impossible to have a match up like Guzman Vs Pacman....

what about james toney, bernard hopkins & floyd mayweather? 3 counter punchers that have made a few bucks.

guzman appears to be the truth so I think thats the reason why people will stay away from him until he gets his profile up. not because hes not exciting enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.