Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather unhappy with Roger; willing to bring back his dad?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
MAYWEATHER UNHAPPY WITH ROGER; WILLING TO BRING BACK HIS DAD?

In a recent conference call to promote his upcoming clash at Wrestlemania XXIV, pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. revealed that he was unhappy with the fact that his uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, is currently working with Steve Forbes to prepare him for his upcoming May 3rd fight with Oscar De La Hoya. Apparently, Money Mayweather is concerned that Roger might actually do his job and help Forbes pull off the upset, ultimately ruining a huge payday in a September rematch with De La Hoya.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2247.html

I'm a Floyd fan but I'm not blind. I'll call anyone who I like out when they're being hypocritical (Hopkins) or just a flat out "bitch move". Well "Money May" (yawn on that name) is the next contestant.

I just read on ESPN that Floyd has given Roger and ultimatum of a couple of weeks to stop training Steve Forbes. WTF?? I understand his POV as far as million with he and DLH II but for someone who claims he cares about boxing, he should know that no one really wants to see that over Cotto. Granted its more money involved with Oscar but that "should" be beside the point.

I personally think Steve Forbes "CAN" beat Oscar so hearing Roger training him was music to my ears because see the above on my feeling about this unneeded DLH II fight.

But for Floyd to go out and call his uncle out like this is a total punk bitch move. In the article he says, "I told Leonard to tell him to not to train Steve". WTF?? You can't call your uncle yourself and express your reservations?? This dude is literally unreal.

I still respect his fight game, preparedness, etc but I'm getting sick of his antics. He says that he may even call Sr back yeah, right. I doubt even Jeff would jump on board.

At this point, his trainer shouldn't even matter if he has a good one.

Go Roger, Go Steve and implode this farce of Floyd vs. DLH II. I'm rooting for you.
salvador
Maybe he's just doing DLH a favor by hyping up the fight, cause I don't think Floyd actually believes that Forbes has a chance. Forbes is too small and doesn't have the punch to hurt DLH and isn't fast enough to avoid DLH's left hook all night. Forbes is a slick fighter who will pose some sylistic challenges for DLH for about 2 or 3 rounds. Then DLH will throw every punch he has until Forbes goes down. If this lasts 6 rounds DLH needs to retire.
thehype
My two cents...

It's bullshit!

Why bring it up now? Everybody knew Roger was training Forbes back in February...why wait until now, during a conference call, to bring it up? Why wasn't he unhappy with Roger back in February? He could've squashed that from happening a long time ago when the fight was announced.

Money May: "Uncle Roger, I don't think you should be training Steve...that fool might beat Oscar."

Roger: "You right...I won't train him."

Problem solved.

Now, all of a sudden, we're supposed to believe that he's got this serious issue with him training Forbes?

Puuuuuuhlease! This shit is scripted...just like his WWE match with Big Show.

It's a genius move becuase, as you see, all the media is sippin' the kool-aid (including me...but hey, I had to report it...can't let all that traffic go someplace else)...but honestly, I'm pretty sure it's just a move to keep the Mayweather family drama going. Oh sure...they might actually "fire" Roger...but come September, after when Oscar and Floyd are standing across the ring from each other, Floyd Sr. will be in one corner and Roger will be in the other.
rusty_trombone
the golden boy marketing machine is starting up again.
can't wait for 24/7 again, after that we'll probably forget Mayweather made easy work of him the first time
Byrd Man
WHATEVER!

This is such bullshit, though, just like Hype said. Someone on another site threw out a conspiracy theory and at first I just rolled my eyes, but seeing as how fucked up this family is, I could totally see this happening.

Roger gets fired by Mayweather Jr., and pays Sr. a shitload of money to come train him against DLH. Then Roger goes to DLH and trains Oscar against Floyd Jr.

And we get another 24/7 series (which we would have gotten regardless) and we get to hear even more about this stupid ass arrogant family than we ever wanted to see in the first place.

It's all designed to get the really stupid people to part with their money for more bullshit.

And the sad thing? It's gonna work.
U.S. Champ
I'm feeling what everybody's saying in this thread the truth is Floyd's a Brat spoiled rotten on the verge of self destruction who happens to be the best P4P fighter in the sport and being a fan of his I wonder when his antics will affect him in the ring because we all know it's coming possibly in the form of a man named Miguel Cotto. This sport has proven over and over again that lack of focus outside the ring can also Doom you in the end
BigG
I see Floyd talking about Oscar rematch....about a Hatton rematch (who the hell would honestly want to see that?)

But no talk of a Cotto fight...

JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 21 2008, 12:57 PM) [snapback]383345[/snapback]
I see Floyd talking about Oscar rematch....about a Hatton rematch (who the hell would honestly want to see that?)

But no talk of a Cotto fight...

Floyd is bored by boxing because of the lack of challenges...aren't you paying attention?

Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Cintron, Clottey, Quintana, Williams...challenges? Pffffftt...hardly.

The Big Show...now THAT is a challenge.

PR316
Latest news is that Forbes has now replaced Roger with Jeff Mayweather.

I guess Floyd Jr felt that Roger really could help Forbes beat Oscar. Oh well.

As far as the "challenges" go, I think only Cotto and Mosley at this point could give Mayweather a fight worth seeing. Maybe Clottey too. As for the rest.

Margarito- Please. He was getting it handed to him by Clottey before Clottey hurt his hand, and he lost clearly to Williams. Margarito to me is just another average fighter whom because he has a big heart and an exciting style, gets overhyped. Floyd easily outpoints him and leaves fans unsatisfied again.

Williams- Too wide open and lacks the punching power to threaten Floyd, not to mention that he doesn't make the best use of his height and reach. Counter punching class 101. Mayweather via WIDE decision.

Cintron- Punching power is a threat. But lacks defense, and he folds under pressure. Floyd would frustrate him and Cintron would take a beating late.

Quintana- Nah... Good solid boxer. But for all his skill, is very hittable, and just doesn't have the overall class in the ring of Floyd. I think Mayweather stops him in 11 rounds.
BigG
Yeah but I'd honestly rather see any of those then a Hatton rematch because the Floyd-Hatton fight wasn't even competitive.

Miguel Cotto will seriously test Floyd and give him flashbakcs of the Castillo fight.

I like Floyd but it would be so dissapoiting if he retired without fighting the other undefeated young star IN his weight class..Cotto is the biggest test for him right now. It's the perfect time to make the fight.
PR316
I think we'll see Mayweather vs Cotto in 2009. Cotto by then will be even bigger as a name and the money will be huge in that fight.

I wouldn't count on seeing Mayweather/Hatton 2. I just don't think thats likely.

I don't even want to see De La Hoya and Mayweather again but whatever.

Cotto is a stiff challenge. That wouldn't be an easy fight for Floyd thats for sure.
JD
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 21 2008, 01:26 PM) [snapback]383347[/snapback]
As far as the "challenges" go, I think only Cotto and Mosley at this point could give Mayweather a fight worth seeing. Maybe Clottey too. As for the rest.
Margarito- Please. He was getting it handed to him by Clottey before Clottey hurt his hand, and he lost clearly to Williams. Margarito to me is just another average fighter whom because he has a big heart and an exciting style, gets overhyped. Floyd easily outpoints him and leaves fans unsatisfied again.

Williams- Too wide open and lacks the punching power to threaten Floyd, not to mention that he doesn't make the best use of his height and reach. Counter punching class 101. Mayweather via WIDE decision.

Cintron- Punching power is a threat. But lacks defense, and he folds under pressure. Floyd would frustrate him and Cintron would take a beating late.

Quintana- Nah... Good solid boxer. But for all his skill, is very hittable, and just doesn't have the overall class in the ring of Floyd. I think Mayweather stops him in 11 rounds.

I prefer to actually see the fights than take the "oh please" approach and concede wins. History dictates that it is the safest route to take. While I am not picking the fighters I listed over him, as a fight fan, I still want to see the fights.

Floyd is an all-time talent in a division full of interesting matches, while you might prefer to see him fight the Big Show - I would rather see him fight
Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Cintron, Clottey, Quintana or Williams.
PR316
Well I'm not too much of a wrestling fan so I'll probably pass on his fighting the Big Show and maybe catch in Youtube instead.

I too would rather see him fight all of those guys, but I know that with the majority of them, it will be another case like with the Baldomir fight in which Floyd decisively beats most of them if not all, but would get very little respect and credit from fans in boxing.

I HATE that he's fighting De La Hoya again. I'd rather see him somebody like Carlos Quintana instead, especially considering that Oscar has arguably lost 4 of his last 5 fights and who should have hung up the gloves after the Hopkins fight if you ask me, maybe even the Sturm fight.

I think Oscar is a BIG REASON as to why Cotto and Mayweather are not fighting this year.
JD
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 21 2008, 02:29 PM) [snapback]383355[/snapback]
I too would rather see him fight all of those guys, but I know that with the majority of them, it will be another case like with the Baldomir fight in which Floyd decisively beats most of them if not all, but would get very little respect and credit from fans in boxing.

I don't agree at all. Floyd received a great deal of credit for beating Hatton - and rightfully so.

The Baldomir fight was terrible, Floyd was not impressive, and his opponent was limited - so he received credit for the win, but he did not receive praise for the fight.

Personally, I don't know the outcome of the fights listed (Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Cintron, Clottey, Quintana, Williams)...thus, I want to see them - especially since Floyd would rather bullshit around in a wrestling ring.

It's not Oscar's fault Floyd has taken the year off, decided to wrestle, and take the rematch instead of giving Cotto a well deserved fight.
PR316
We have to keep in mind that Floyd did have a hurt hand in that fight against Baldomir, and Baldomir is a tough guy. Sure he was beaten soundly by Vernon Forrest, but Forrest is very good at 154 pounds. I'm not saying it was a GREAT performance from Floyd but I think he was too harshly criticized for a fight that he practically won by shut out. All the great champs have had unimpressive performances of that type. Wladimir Klitschko was even WORSE a few weeks ago against Ibragimov. Baldomir was bigger than Floyd.

If Oscar would have retired, then I don't think there'd be too much standing in the way of a Mayweather/Cotto fight. Oscar staying in the division IMO is holding back some potential fights from happening. He's now engaging in meaningless fights and just trying to get as much money off his name as he can.

Oscar could have fought Miguel Cotto too if he wanted to, but didn't do so. He's another taking the path of least resistance and getting little if any flack for it.
JD
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 21 2008, 04:02 PM) [snapback]383364[/snapback]
We have to keep in mind that Floyd did have a hurt hand in that fight against Baldomir, and Baldomir is a tough guy. Sure he was beaten soundly by Vernon Forrest, but Forrest is very good at 154 pounds. I'm not saying it was a GREAT performance from Floyd but I think he was too harshly criticized for a fight that he practically won by shut out. All the great champs have had unimpressive performances of that type. Wladimir Klitschko was even WORSE a few weeks ago against Ibragimov. Baldomir was bigger than Floyd.
If Oscar would have retired, then I don't think there'd be too much standing in the way of a Mayweather/Cotto fight. Oscar staying in the division IMO is holding back some potential fights from happening. He's now engaging in meaningless fights and just trying to get as much money off his name as he can.
Oscar could have fought Miguel Cotto too if he wanted to, but didn't do so. He's another taking the path of least resistance and getting little if any flack for it.

Your assessment on the Baldomir fight is reasonably fair. I did not heap criticism upon on him...but I understood why some were bothered with the fight. Bottomline, it was terribly boring - there was nothing entertaining about it.

Oscar is not preventing Floyd from making the Cotto fight, that is Floyd's decision. Oscar did not tell Floyd to go and mess around at Wrestlemania instead of fighting Cotto or any of the other fighters mentioned, that was Floyd's decision. Floyd could just as easily have said "let me clean this division out right now"...he chose to fight the Big Show at Wrestlemania, and than take the Oscar rematch in September. Floyd has the same freewill we all do, and he exercised it - it has nothing to do with Oscar...Dela Hoya just happens to be the guy who wants to fight Floyd again, and Floyd is going to fight him. Should Hatton get another crack at Floyd, it won't be Hatton's fault that the Cotto fight is not coming off.

Floyd has done a terrific job making himself into more than a boxer...the Wrestlemania move is very smart...but as a boxing fan, I don't want to see him wasting prime years on that crap, I want to see him cleaning out his division.
Imperius3
QUOTE(PR316 @ Mar 21 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]383364[/snapback]

It takes two to tango. Either fighter could decline the rematch. Both could and should be pursuing a fight with Cotto. Oscar has every right to keep on fighting. I agree he shouldn't be engaging in meaningless fights though (DLH-Mayweather II).

QUOTE(JD @ Mar 21 2008, 03:26 PM) [snapback]383365[/snapback]
Floyd has done a terrific job making himself into more than a boxer...the Wrestlemania move is very smart...but as a boxing fan, I don't want to see him wasting prime years on that crap, I want to see him cleaning out his division.

I agree although I think this wrestling shit will be very brief. He won't be in it for long. He might fight again some time this year, and I hope he does (against a meaningful opponent).
JD
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Mar 21 2008, 06:53 PM) [snapback]383369[/snapback]
I agree although I think this wrestling shit will be very brief. He won't be in it for long. He might fight again some time this year, and I hope he does (against a meaningful opponent).

I agree that it will be brief, but it is one less opponent we will see him fight while he is in his prime. Know what I mean?
Imperius3
Yeah I'd rather see him fight anyone in the welterweight division than some joke of a match with Big Show.
streetlion1
QUOTE(JD @ Mar 21 2008, 12:05 PM) [snapback]383346[/snapback]
Floyd is bored by boxing because of the lack of challenges...aren't you paying attention?

Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Cintron, Clottey, Quintana, Williams...challenges? Pffffftt...hardly.

The Big Show...now THAT is a challenge.

I really hope you are just kidding....Its the most talent he has been around his whole career and all of a sudden he wants to be selective...and say he doesnt wanna call out any Welters thumbsdown_anim.gif He might be known throughout boxing as the "best" but now that he is in his prime and there are fights to take he is showing a long yellow streak on his back.

- You mentioned Oscar taking the path of less resistance and gettin no flack for it...he shouldnt get any flack he is no longer in his prime..he's already proven himself to be a warrior and a champion who fights all comers..PBF has not!
dbdbdb
Good comments above.

DLH vs PBF II = BORING
Hatton vs PBF = BORING
Mosley vs PBF = Good fight, but won't happen until DLH gets another shot.

But as I see it, PBF won't fight Cotto if Arum has anything to do with it. If Cotto can get out of his contract with Arum, the fight with PBF will be on.
U.S. Champ
Will somebody please explain to me why oscar won't fight somebody his age like winky for a real fight worth buying
streetlion1
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Mar 22 2008, 05:30 AM) [snapback]383399[/snapback]
Will somebody please explain to me why oscar won't fight somebody his age like winky for a real fight worth buying

I think Oscar is trying to get 1 win over PBF cause everyone in the game thinks he is the best. As for a fight with Winky..I think Wink is all wrong for DLH. Oscar doesnt do well with bigger guys....if Tito could drop enough wieght i'd like to see that fight. Otherwise I feel even this DLH would beat alot of guys if they chose to move up to 154 or a catch wieght. (Margarito,Williams,Clottey, and Cintron)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.