Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeff Lacy vs. Allan Green
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Elijah
This could be an interesting fight. Not sure how much Lacy has left and Green can box pretty well when he wants to. What's everyone else think of this potential matchup?

Golden Boy's May 31 HBO PPV card headlined by Shane Mosley-Zab Judah is called "High Stakes" because of the urgency with which both need a victory. It's a theme that will be repeated on the undercard as evidenced by the junior lightweight match between ex-titlist Jorge Barrios and Rocky Juarez.

Another bout being discussed also fits the theme: super middleweight Jeff Lacy (23-1, 17 KOs) against Allan Green (26-1, 18 KOs).

Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez said it's a fight Lacy specifically asked for and one the company has been talking about internally.

Coincidentally, Bobby Dobbs, matchmaker for Green promoter Tony Holden, called Golden Boy this week inquiring about the fight, so the sides are talking. Holden wants to make it.

"We have tried to make that fight for years," Holden said. "If [Lacy's] people are serious, then they need to call me."

Green is on suspension for withdrawing from an ESPN2 bout last month without explanation, but that can be cleared. Lacy, a former titleholder, looked shaky in his past fight, a decision against Peter Manfredo after returning from a year layoff because of an arm injury.

Whomever Lacy fights, he'll do so without longtime trainer Dan Birmingham. Lacy has returned to Roger Bloodworth, who trained him earlier in his career. Birmingham said the split was mutual.

"Jeff and I both needed a change and we parted on good terms," Birmingham said in an e-mail. "I wish him the best."

Bantamweight prospect Abner Mares (16-0, 10 KOs), so impressive in blowing out Diosdado Gabi in two rounds on last week's Pacquiao-Marquez II undercard, also could be featured on the Mosley-Judah PPV, Gomez said.
Imperius3
It's about time Green faced another decent opponent. I favor Green to decision Lacy.

Also, I'm not sure if Tony Holden is still Green's promoter. I thought part of the reason why Green ditched his ESPN bout was because he was going to switch promoters. I don't know, maybe they were able to patch things up.
D-MARV
WOW!
This is gonna be a great PPV! All 3 fights are must wins for all parties!
BigG
I favor Green but cant count Jeff out even though he's looked like shit in his last 2 fights..but I think Greens gonna decision him.

Love that prospect Mares. Future champion for sure.
U.S. Champ
That would be a good bout I'd like to see the winner face the winner of Kessler/Miranda
Blayde
Im a bit afraid Lacy is going to lose after how he looked against Manfredo. Against Tsypko at least he had to fight with one arm only and looked good the first 2 rounds ...

But although Green is better than Tsypko and Manfredo, he might be a pretty good opponent for Lacy. I think hes pretty open for Lacys straight right hand. It would be a great card for sure.
KookedKrack
im thinking bout goin to check this out will it be in the tri state area?
Imperius3
Green would be dumb to trade left hooks with Lacy, that's for sure. He needs to wait and counter and fight a tactical fight.
D-MARV
I say Green by UD!

But if he fights like a little bitch like he did against Miranda, Jeff will take the UD!
Method
I don't see this fight going the distance.

I lean towards Green stopping Lacy. Green can fucking crack, and I have seen Lacy hurt by guys like Pemberton.

I also don't discount Lacy catching Green.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 24 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]383676[/snapback]
I lean towards Green stopping Lacy. Green can fucking crack, and I have seen Lacy hurt by guys like Pemberton.

I dont think Lacy was ever hurt by Pemberton.
Maybe you are confused with Tsypko
rusty_trombone
i actually think if jeff lacy fights anything like he used to, green is a perfect matchup for him. i would not be surprised at all if lacy KO's him. but who knows if the good lacy will come into the ring, the current version of lacy probably won;t catch up with green if green fights any kind of an intelligent fight.
Method
Pemberton had Lacy pretty well buzzed at one point.
BigG
I believe Syd Vanderpool had Lacy buzzed a few times a well.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 24 2008, 01:08 PM) [snapback]383695[/snapback]
Pemberton had Lacy pretty well buzzed at one point.

You're gonna have to point out the time! It only lasted 5 minutes so it shouldn't be hard
Method
I might be confusing it then. Let me go back and check B-Rec. I know I have seen Lacy on queer street pre-Calzaghe....

...ahhh....I believe it was Omar Sheika. Sorry bout that.
Blayde
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 24 2008, 08:02 PM) [snapback]383705[/snapback]
I might be confusing it then. Let me go back and check B-Rec. I know I have seen Lacy on queer street pre-Calzaghe....

Yeah Sheika landed a very good left pretty early in the fight that kind of froze Lacy for some seconds and made him go backwards. And Vanderpool did hurt Lacy with a body shot, I dont remember anything else like that in these two fights though. But Im not sure, maybe Lacy was a little stunned multiple times, both Sheika and Vanderpool landed some good shot with their fast hands. Im pretty sure Lacy was never hurt against Pemberton though.

Both Sheika and Vanderpool looked very good when they let their hands go against Lacy who just cant deal with fast hands especially on the inside. On Showtime they kept saying you wouldnt want to hang with Lacy on the inside, but his power is pretty much gone there and while he tries to load up his own shits, hes open for entire combinations from his opponent. But Green is more conventional, should fight in a rhythm like Lacy does and will probably not through too many combinations. But Lacy will definitely be there to be hit with that left hook.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree with Blayde, looking at Lacy you would figure that his game is on the inside but he couldn't do anything against Manfredo at close quarters. Green has good power but when he was hurt against Miranda and McCrary he was HURT. Lacy has a shot but he is too slow. I see Green boxing his way to a boring decision.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 24 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]383705[/snapback]

Yeah Sheika did rock him in that fight and someone mentioned earlier but Vanderpool rocked him too.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Blayde @ Mar 24 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]383720[/snapback]
while he tries to load up his own shits,

the man dumps like a champion thumbsup_anim.gif
Blayde
LOL laugh.gif

That being said I hope Lacy will somehow pull it off. You just cant dislike Lacy ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.