Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manny Steward...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
I have been on a bunch of forums this morning and a lot of people have been saying that Manny needs to hang them up. Me, Im a fan of Manny. I think he is a legend of the sport and should continue to be a trainer. I just want to know your opinion. I thought that Andy Lee lost last night because he got tired and Brian Vera is a Tough SOB who may be a little underrated. Manny has caught a lot of heat for last night's fight and his work with Jermain Taylor. Let's not forgot that he still has the best Heavyweight in the world, a decent looking cruiserweight who I consider one of the top prospects in the game! I dont think Manny should hang them up. I think he is great at what he does and he should keep it going!

P.S
I still think that Kermit will beat the crap out of Tony! So maybe this will redeem Manny's Track Record!
stateofthegame
I am not sure about retiring, but he needs to just keep his mouth shut and train. He is always trying to make people believe that he has the next best thing going. Take Andy Lee for example.All the talk about being the next big thing was coming from Manny and after seeing him last night it is obvious that Lee is abrey a B level guy. It was not just Vera being tough, it was Lee not being that good to be honest. I think the stoppage was quick, but it was coming and honestly they should thank the ref because Lee was on his way of being hurt bad.

Even early in the fight, I was telling some one that Lee was going to get murdered if he ever faced Pavlik or even Abraham. Even Miranda would have beat that guy because Lee is not aggressive enough to keep Miranda off of him and even though Miranda's power is overrated in my opinion, I think Lee's power is more overrated.

Also Bank's at cruiser showed a lot of heart when I saw him fight, but the book is still out on him as he was really one good punch in that fight from being knocked out as well, but I feel that judgment should wait until he steps up to one of the top guys in the division. Honestly I think Rob calloway would be a very good test for him.

The only improvement in Wlad is that Manny taught him how to hold, other that that he is the same guy that he has always been. Manny just takes credit for his recent success.

Margarito is the "X-Factor" to see just how Cintron has came along. Will be interested to see, but if he beats Tony, a lot of people will add the win up to Tony being past it, or overlooking Kermit.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Steward needs to hang up the mic and not commentate. As for training, he should stick to teaching tall guys like Wlad and Lennox how to throw 1-2's and hold on the inside. That's the one thing he's good at.

D-MARV
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Mar 22 2008, 11:28 AM) [snapback]383406[/snapback]
Take Andy Lee for example.All the talk about being the next big thing was coming from Manny and after seeing him last night it is obvious that Lee is abrey a B level guy. It was not just Vera being tough, it was Lee not being that good to be honest. I think the stoppage was quick, but it was coming and honestly they should thank the ref because Lee was on his way of being hurt bad.

I agree that Andy Lee is just a B level fighter but I thought the He was gassed by the 5th round and that led him to get caught in the 6th and seventh round. I though it was a early stoppage but he was on his way to being hurt bad!

Andy Lee Vs John Duddy, what do you think?
Big Slim Sweet
Lee was in trouble but that stoppage was terrible. The last thing that happened before the ref intervened was Lee landing a shot flush on Vera's chin. Doesn't obscure the fact that Lee was gassed and badly hurt though.

I don't know how much of it is Manny's fault. He's probably still just as good a trainer as he ever was, it's just that with his high profile now his fighters will always be under the microscope a little more than they would otherwise.

It wasn't just Manny singing Lee's praises however. Dan Rafael's been talking him up big time for a while. Shit happens.
stateofthegame
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 22 2008, 11:42 PM) [snapback]383416[/snapback]
It wasn't just Manny singing Lee's praises however. Dan Rafael's been talking him up big time for a while. Shit happens.

I am surprised then that Lee did not cruise through since many feel that Rafael invented boxing.

Seriously though, even though Dan writes for ESPN, he is very disrespected amongst most of the people on press row. One time (I think it was Ron Borges) actually asked him how he came up with the idea of 3 minute rounds. Rafael was pissed.

I personally have never had a problem with him. You have to get past his "I am better than you" attitude, but once you get to talkng to him he is a fairly nice guy.
WolfishPromistah
I know some cue cards seem to work overtime whenever he's the subject, and somebody needs to hang up that ever-living title "the Legendary," used everytime someone mentions his name. I feel like they want viewers to think we are supposed to take a five second bow down period at every mention of that. He may as well be one of the boxers in the ring at a fight.

I would guess that most are aware the man's a legend. Should it be that seriously relevant to him or anyone else, like there's no choice BUT for us to know -- which may sorta bite him in the backside, especially when his fighters are on a string of getting their a$$es kicked? [smile]
Mean Mister Mustard
I think he is a good trainer but because of his mystique everytime a fighter wins or loses it is because of his trainer. This does not happen with lesser known trainers but with icons such as Steward the light is on them.

I was surprised at the stoppage. Vera was teeing off on an exhausted Lee but Vera seemed tired himself. But anyway Lee did not seem all that special early on. He had good timing and snap on his punches but he played Vera's game and lost. Like Peterson said, he should have gone to the body.
Warlord
Manny is a good trainer for certain fighters with certain styles. His only problem is when he thinks he can take on "special projects" like Oscar Gay La Hoya or Jermain Taylor and make a difference by completely changing their styles. Shit just doesn't work.

Manny reminds me a lot of the NBA's Phil Jackson. He's good at taking talent and pushing it to the next level. But when it comes to building something from scratch, he struggles.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Andy Lee still has a lot of potential. Brian Vera is not a bad fighter just because he got caught against Jaidon Codrington. Vera beat Max Alexander who is a 6'2 light heavyweight with some good skills. Lee had him going in the first round, but couldnt finish him off. He didn't put that hook behind the left like he did against Daniels and wasn't punching in combination. I think he just got excited with how easy he was hitting Vera with the left, and started to brawl. It was a hell of an effort from both guys, and Andy Lee will be back. Everybody is going to write him off, but I'm still high on him. I'd love to see a rematch on FNF.
Method
Fuck Manny. He's the most overrated trainer in the game, and they were talking SO MUCH SHIT about Andy Lee being one of the all time great middleweights last week, and I just walked in to read he got TKO'd.

I LOVE IT!

Manny always has excuses to offer and blame to assign. Nothing is ever his fault. Well, in this situation, he cultivated this kid and was still talking all his brash, self-promoting bullshit. There's no one else to blame but himself...and his pupil.

All time great my ass.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Mar 23 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]383512[/snapback]
Andy Lee still has a lot of potential. Brian Vera is not a bad fighter just because he got caught against Jaidon Codrington. Vera beat Max Alexander who is a 6'2 light heavyweight with some good skills. Lee had him going in the first round, but couldnt finish him off. He didn't put that hook behind the left like he did against Daniels and wasn't punching in combination. I think he just got excited with how easy he was hitting Vera with the left, and started to brawl. It was a hell of an effort from both guys, and Andy Lee will be back. Everybody is going to write him off, but I'm still high on him. I'd love to see a rematch on FNF.

I think you hit it on the nose he should have used his boxing skills because it was obvious after his last loss to jaidon that he was not going to get knocked out again. They would've had to carry him out before that happened. Cory Spinks #1 Jr. Middleweight n the world
Tha Docta
i am really surprised that any fighter chooses to use steward anymore. considering the guy has become a bullshit artist in recent years, I dont know why any fighter would sign up for that.

the only recent fighter Ive seen him be productive with is wladmir. but all he did was have him throw more jabs and hold on for dear life when the other guy gets close. he still to this day has not taught that man how to fight in close.

if your his fighter, how can you possibly believe anything the guy says? i use to like his commentary, but ive grown tired of his rambling. roy jones was much better, and lennox lewis is gaining on him as well.

might as well send Harold Lederman back to his cave too.
Boxingjunkie
Maybe Im missing something. Why would Stewart not try to build up his fighter? Isnt that the smart thing to do? If he went around telling him what a shitty fight Lee was who would watch? Stewart does a good job and deserves credit for being a good trainer. How can you deny him the credit he deserves for the amount of talent that came out of his gym. Especially the talent in the 80's. He hasnt had the same success in the last decade but thats probably due to the fact that boxing doesnt have the same talent that it used to. Dont blame him.

Boxingjunkie
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Mar 24 2008, 03:41 PM) [snapback]383714[/snapback]
Maybe Im missing something. Why would Stewart not try to build up his fighter? Isnt that the smart thing to do? If he went around telling him what a shitty fight Lee was who would watch? Stewart does a good job and deserves credit for being a good trainer. How can you deny him the credit he deserves for the amount of talent that came out of his gym. Especially the talent in the 80's. He hasnt had the same success in the last decade but thats probably due to the fact that boxing doesnt have the same talent that it used to. Dont blame him.

Boxingjunkie

manny has been living off of the 80's for a while now. has he been productive with anyone under the heavyweight division since then?

i dont have a problem with a trainer being confident, but some of the bullshit that comes out of mannys mouth is ridiculous. and then when his fighter gets KTFO he spins the story in his favor and says he knew it would happen. he just seems to enjoy grandstanding a little too much for my liking. same problem i have with teddy atlas.

i think age is catching up to him. he was making absolutely zero sense last week for JMM vs manny broadcast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.