Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Judah calls for Mosely to be blood tested for steroids
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
This is never gonna happen, but whatever they gotta do to hype up a fight, *shrugs*

When Shane Mosley and Miguel Cotto showed up in New York last September to tout their Madison Square Garden fight, promoter Bob Arum, hesitant to upset his newly-established Entente Cordial with Golden Boy Promotions, was quick to put the kibosh on any Mosley-related steroid talk. Even though Sugar Shane’s name had surfaced in documents seized in the federal raid of Victor Conte’s infamous BALCO lab, Arum said he was more than willing to accept Mosley’s acknowledgement that he had inadvertently ingested performance-enhancing drugs in the past, that he had done so without his knowledge, and that, moreover, it was, well, you know, a long time ago.

As fate would have it, Mosley and Zab Judah hit New York on Tuesday, a day after the first BALCO-related trial got underway in San Francisco, and while the boxers were in the Big Apple to beat the drums for their May 31, 2008 HBO pay-per-view fight at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Judah and his new mouthpiece Michael Shinefield used the occasion to make it clear that they are not about to let sleeping drugs lie.

Shinefield said that on behalf of Judah he had formally asked Golden Boy to agree that both boxers undergo a blood test administered by the World Anti-Doping Agency to augment the urinalysis required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Plainly, the suggestion was that while Nevada’s extant procedures would detect conventional steroids, they wouldn’t address Human Growth Hormone.

Shinefield said that while the extraordinary measure would be an costly proposition, the Judah camp was prepared to pay the price of the blood test.

“It’s an expensive test, but we’re willing to pay for it,” said the Las Vegas-based lawyer. “Shane Mosley has admitted that he took steroids in the past, so this is a concern. After all, we’re talking about a sport that’s all about strength and power.”

Shinefield said that Mosley, through his promoters, has been dismissive of the proposal. “They accused us of gamesmanship and said we were posturing,” said the lawyer. “Their response was that they weren’t asking for extra security for Zab.”

They didn’t have to, noted Shinefield, acknowledging that in reinstating Judah’s boxing license, the Nevada Commission “flat-out told Zab that next time he’d be banned forever.” (In a career marked by bad behavior, Judah’s two most egregious tantrums – heaving a stool at referee Jay Nady at the conclusion of his 2003 loss to Kostya Tszyu and the two low blows that precipitated a riot in his loss to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. two years ago – have both taken place in Nevada.)

Particularly since Mosley refused to rise to the bait in yesterday’s appearance at the ESPN Zone in Times Square, the episode smacked a bit of gamesmanship, redolent of the runup to the 1989 Sugar Ray Leonard-Thomas Hearns rematch.

Eight years after their 1981 welterweight classic, the two rivals were scheduled to meet in a super-middleweight unification fight at Caesars Palace when Hearns invoked the ‘S’ word at a pre-fight press conference.

Addressing Leonard, the Hit Man said “I think you want to be a bodybuilder. The way you pumped up, you look like you been taking steroids or something!”

Hearns’ trainer Emanuel Steward further fanned the flames when he said “I’m seriously considering asking (the commission) to test both boxers. I’ve been hearing rumors for some time. A source told me Leonard had been using steroids.”

Leonard’s lawyer Mike Trainer was outraged by Steward’s charge. “When Hearns said what he did was good theatre. It’s actually flattering that Ray looks that good, and I’m just glad Tommy noticed, but that’s a cheap shot coming from Emanuel.”

Trainer angrily challenged Steward to put up $100,000 in a side bet. “They can test Ray before the fight, after the fight, and they can take a break after the sixth round and test him then, too,” said Trainer. “We’ll see how good his sources are.”

Leonard, for his part, said that he had no objection to being tested, and innocently asked “How do you do it, anyway?”

Informed that it involved a urinalysis, Leonard grinned and said “In that case, can I do it right now?”

Although Nevada did not routinely test boxers for steroids two decades ago, Chuck Minker, the late executive director of the NSAC took the allegation seriously enough that he said testing might be considered if either camp requested it at the next day’s rules meeting.

Neither side did, and the matter was allowed to die.

“Emanuel knows how to ask,” shrugged Minker.

That the Mosley controversy might similarly expire on the vine seemed to be confirmed when Judah admitted that his side had little recourse should Golden Boy spurn its request for a blood test.

“What would I do? Threaten not to step into the ring?” said Zab. “That’s not gonna happen.”
AussieLad
It would be classic judah if he managed to force the test, and rob himself of his last big payday if mosely did test positive

Still, i dont think its unreasonable for both fighters to be tested before the fight if urinalysis cant detect all forms of enhancers. These guys are getting paid big bucks, so they should be willing to do the test
BrutalBodyShots
Aren't tests done automatically anyway?

Do you mean a blood test as opposed to a piss test?
Byrd Man
yes, he wants Mosely to be tested for HGH which can only be tested through the blood. This all stems from his name being in the Balco labs papers.
EpTXCHAMP
exactly what judah wants the blood test to see if shane is still on balco or hgh which mosley admitted to taking in 2003. It cannot be detected through a piss test. Judging by what golden boy ceo schef said looks like he aint gonna go along with it. according to him shane doesnt have to take a blood test cuz the nevada athletic commission doesnt require it hmmmm???
Byrd Man
it's just more of Zab's bullshit. Trying to fuck with Mosely is all. He KNOWS that Mosely isn't gonna take the test, so it accomplishes two things in his head.

1. It fucks with Mosely and perhaps gets him off his game (unlikely,but that's obviously ZAB's thoughts imo)

2. It also perhaps puts that thought out there among the people who are stupid enough, that "ooh, he won't take a blood test...what's he got to hide?"

Mosely copped to to the ties to the Balco thing and said that he took something that triggered a failed test, and that he didn't realize that it was gonna do that. He's since stopped taking whatever it was that caused that.

This is all just lame attempts at hyping up an average fight.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Mar 25 2008, 06:37 PM) [snapback]383825[/snapback]
it's just more of Zab's bullshit. Trying to fuck with Mosely is all. He KNOWS that Mosely isn't gonna take the test, so it accomplishes two things in his head.

1. It fucks with Mosely and perhaps gets him off his game (unlikely,but that's obviously ZAB's thoughts imo)

2. It also perhaps puts that thought out there among the people who are stupid enough, that "ooh, he won't take a blood test...what's he got to hide?"

Mosely copped to to the ties to the Balco thing and said that he took something that triggered a failed test, and that he didn't realize that it was gonna do that. He's since stopped taking whatever it was that caused that.

This is all just lame attempts at hyping up an average fight.

he took BALCO he said he didnt know what it was at the time but at the end of the day it was BALCO.

he admitted to the story that some source revealed to espn that he had a calendar and on that calender he had one day circled that said "start the B" dont buy shanes whole I didnt know story all the athletes tied to balco say they didnt know at the end of the day it was hgh, but you have to wonder are they really that stupid?? come theres no miracle pills out there if they say it'll give u an edge it probably aint legal common sense
Titlebelt
From the Ring Magazine, June 2008 issue: "Daryl Hudson, Shane Mosley's former strength and conditioning coach, has filed a defamation lawsuit against the boxer, who claimed Hudson gave him steroids without his knowledge. According to the suit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, Hudson "never gave, pushed, recommended, or in any way made the defendant take the banned substances".
Byrd Man
June 2008????

Is this on some Desmond from Lost Island kinda Future shit? lol
Method
Trying to fuck with Mosely is all.

Exactly. Period. End.

Also, I believe the substance was called "the clear", not "BALCO". BALCO was the name of the manufacturing lab.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 26 2008, 09:23 AM) [snapback]383848[/snapback]
Exactly. Period. End.

Also, I believe the substance was called "the clear", not "BALCO". BALCO was the name of the manufacturing lab.

for a fighter that is always in shape and knows his body the way mosley does, it seems impossible that he didnt know he was taking steroids.

i would say as mosley gets older, the more likely he is to try steroids or hgh again. especially hgh since its not detectable in urine samples. helps those old muscles recover alot faster.
Douchebag
It's a fight and any fighter that is really trying to win is going try get any advantage possible to ensure that he wins. If nothing else it tells us that Zab is serious about this fight and is not going to lay down for Shane. This is a good thing for us the fans because it gives us an indication of what kind of fight it's going to be.
Method
for a fighter that is always in shape and knows his body the way mosley does, it seems impossible that he didnt know he was taking steroids.

EXACTLY
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 26 2008, 07:23 AM) [snapback]383848[/snapback]
Exactly. Period. End.

yes ur right it was called the clear
at the end of the day it was pretty much hgh that is almost impossible to trace through urine test which is why you never know who's taking it and shane has admitted to cheating maybe people will wonder if thats how he stays at such a great level even at 36 I think zab's doing this to fuck with shane's mind
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 26 2008, 08:14 AM) [snapback]383853[/snapback]
If nothing else it tells us that Zab is serious about this fight

I'm not so sure. How is it that Zab tries to bet Shane $100k that he won't knock him out? If anything, if his confidence were all there, he'd bet on himself to KO Shane.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 26 2008, 03:24 PM) [snapback]383884[/snapback]
I'm not so sure. How is it that Zab tries to bet Shane $100k that he won't knock him out? If anything, if his confidence were all there, he'd bet on himself to KO Shane.

Zab hasn't KOed anybody since 2005. He may be stupid but he is not retarded. Zab knows he aint going to KO Shane.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Mar 26 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]383884[/snapback]

actually for the record zab said he'd bet 100,000 that he(zab) Would knockout shane.
lol come on who bets that they wont get knocked out that guy would jus probably end up running for his life the last couple of rounds
Titlebelt
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 26 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]383993[/snapback]
actually for the record zab said he'd bet 100,000 that he(zab) Would knockout shane.
lol come on who bets that they wont get knocked out that guy would jus probably end up running for his life the last couple of rounds

Fightnews is reporting Zab offered Shane 100,000 if Mosley could knock him out. Now I'm hearing differently.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Titlebelt @ Mar 26 2008, 08:17 PM) [snapback]383998[/snapback]
Fightnews is reporting Zab offered Shane 100,000 if Mosley could knock him out. Now I'm hearing differently.

it started off as zab saying i bet 100 you wont knock me out correct the video is on this site, but zab is saying now that its 100 he'll knock him out espn is reporting that and i saw another video on tube where zab said that so I'm guessing it started off as a bet that shane wont Ko him then zab flipped it to that he would ko shane
Tha Docta
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Mar 26 2008, 10:51 PM) [snapback]384002[/snapback]
it started off as zab saying i bet 100 you wont knock me out correct the video is on this site, but zab is saying now that its 100 he'll knock him out espn is reporting that and i saw another video on tube where zab said that so I'm guessing it started off as a bet that shane wont Ko him then zab flipped it to that he would ko shane

zab had to change that bet. he looked like an idiot with his original offer. thats the kind of bet that a no name opponent makes when he knows he wont win, but plans on finishing the fight. if you make a bet like that, all it means is that you will run for your life at the end of the fight cause you dont want to lose your 100k.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.