Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joe Cortez gets Hopkins/Calzaghe Assignment
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
Jesus Christ say it ain't so.

He RUINED Mayweather/Hatton with all of his interference, couple that with Hopkins and the PR comment, and now white boy comment...it's gonna be bad. Everybody already talked about how played Crtez got by Hopkins in the Allen fight. Cortez is gonna be looking to save some face.

Message to Team Hopkins - GET HIM OFF THE FIGHT.

Infighting NEEDS to be part of this fight, and Cortez is gonna fuck that up.

Kenny Bayless, anyone?
Tha Docta
i cant stand cortez either. seems every fight he refs people are talking about him and not the actual fight itself. i think he enjoys the spotlight a little too much and injects himself unnessecarily into his fights.

a good ref is one that you dont even remember after the fight is over.
Method
a good ref is one that you dont even remember after the fight is over.

The TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of a good ref.
Mean Mister Mustard
While it's true that Cortez did not allow Hatton to clinch, he did allow Mayweather to elbow during the fight. So it is not inconceivable that Hopkins gets away with something else.

What I like about Hopkins is that he covers all his bases. Like in the Wright fight, he pushed Wright at the weigh-in in order to make sure that Wright would take the fight to him in the ring. Wright was going to have to do so anyway but it was pretty smart in the part of Hopkins. Then he tells Referee Robert Byrd that Wright has his trunks too high and that he has to do something about it. Byrd allowed Wright to keep his trunks up but he did let Hopkins get away with a lot of borderline low blows that in any other occasion would have warranted warnings. But because Hopkins put it the issue out there in front of the cameras Byrd showed leniency.

All this to say that Hopkins is going to come up with a way to be allowed clinching. He played Cortez once, he will do so again.
streetlion1
This was the only chance Calzaghe had..to get a ref who probably wont allow Hopkins to fight on the inside. I still believe Hopkins takes it but...DAMN...Cortez sucks!
Method
He played Cortez once, he will do so again.

He played him once, and EVERYBODY wrote about it. I would not be surprised if Cortez tried to get back some of the dignity Hopkins conned him out of in the Allen fight. The PR Flag. The Allen III incident/hissy fit, and now the White Boy comment. Cortez may be looking to teach this con a lesson.

Get him out of there. Get Bayless in. PLEASE.
PR316
This could be crucial. Seeing as to how Cortez was very quick to interfere whenever there was any sort of clinch or seemingly anything close to a clinch in the Mayweather/Hatton fight. I believe B-Hop's best fight in this one will be on the inside because his punches are shorter and straighter, whereas Joe will have the advantage outside with his hand speed and faster feet. Joe can fight inside with good uppercuts and those slappy hooks, but an infight isn't his best bet against Hopkins.

I think Hopkins will try to get this changed the same way he did in the Trinidad fight. Its a question of if he'll be allowed to do so this time and my guess would be yes simply because Golden Boy is promoting this fight.

Regardless of who refs I still think Calzaghe wins a decision, but the referee could potentially play some sort of role in how this fight goes.
Method
He would seemingly be able to get it changed based on how far out we are from the fight.

The reason for the fiasco for the Allen threematch was because Bernard's team dropped the ball and didn't pick up on Cortez being the ref until the 11th hour.

I believe a few referee selections are brought to the table, and each fighter's team has the ability to yay or nay....sort of like jury selection. I could be wrong, but I believe that's what I remember reading during all this gas with the Allen fight.

They need to get Cortez out of there. He feels his "celebrity' too much, and he fucked up the Hatton/Mayweather fight.

Like my man already said, the BEST REFs are those you wake up the next morning wondering, "who reffed that fight last night?".
PR316
Have to agree there. No matter what, we don't want a referee to decide a fight totally. A fight should be allowed to flow.

In all fairness though, Hopkins doesn't "wrestle". He does little thing here and there and gets away with them similar to Mayweather and even Trinidad. All 3 guys know how to use their elbows and forearms to give themselves the proper room for their shots. Hopkins in particular is an expert at smothering an opponents punches and not giving them room to punch, this was evident in the Trinidad fight especially for when Tito would throw and even land, it often wasn't with the leverage he needed because Hopkins would get so close to him that it neutralizes the punch. There are subtle ways to get your shots in and Hopkins happens to know them all. Its not like he rabbit punches, or hits fighters in the back, and I can't say that he blatantly throws low blows.

If this causes a controversy, then I expect a move to be made or at least an attempted move to be made. I'm curious to see if Hopkins moves forward to change this because its such a big fight. Hopkins/Allen 3 wasn't nearly as big and its not like Cortez played a role in the outcome anyway, considering Hopkins won almost every single round in that fight without breaking too much of a sweat. Because its a bigger fight, there will be something thats at least attempted to be done.

How Hopkins responds to this does have me curious because of his previous history with Cortez...
Method
If this causes a controversy, then I expect a move to be made or at least an attempted move to be made. I'm curious to see if Hopkins moves forward to change this because its such a big fight. Hopkins/Allen 3 wasn't nearly as big and its not like Cortez played a role in the outcome anyway, considering Hopkins won almost every single round in that fight without breaking too much of a sweat. Because its a bigger fight, there will be something thats at least attempted to be done.

How Hopkins responds to this does have me curious because of his previous history with Cortez...

Exactly. Hops/Allen III was no where near as big, yet Hops made a stink about it. Calzaghe sure as hell ain't Allen, so it will matter. Or should, anyway.
The CEO
Cortez will probably be paying closer attention to Bernard...but like PR said a little earlier...he's crafty...not consistently blatant and dumb like Hatton...

Now if Cortez were to deduct a point, then he WILL be a major factor in the result of this matchup....because I see a close one.

Calzaghe's gonna throw so much he'll win most of the early and middle rounds...and then it will be up to Hopkins to get busier than he wants to be late...definitely rooting for Hopkins, but I'm seeing a 7-5 Calzaghe win here...
Jack 1000
Agree,

While I don't think Cortez is necessarily a bad ref, his refusal to let fighters fight inside speaks volumes about how this fight could go. For this fight, my fist choice would be Kenny Bayless, second Robert Byrd, and third, Tony Weeks.

Jack
gods son
How does a Ref get picked for a specific fight as such??
Tha Docta
QUOTE(gods son @ Mar 26 2008, 10:00 PM) [snapback]383995[/snapback]
How does a Ref get picked for a specific fight as such??

i dont mind smoger. he usually lets guys fight. but hes always telling the fighters that he loves them for some reason. kinda creepy.

i agree with bayless though. he would work. i would rather have richard steele than cortez, and Ive wished death upon Steele on more than one occassion. thats how highly i think of cortez.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 27 2008, 08:57 AM) [snapback]384033[/snapback]
i dont mind smoger. he usually lets guys fight. but hes always telling the fighters that he loves them for some reason. kinda creepy.

That and calling them "baby" all the time. I remember in Harriss/Jefferson when Maurice would get up from the knockdowns Smoger would be like "you made it baby... you made it baby..." which was a little odd.

Fitz
Just look at him. He looks like a creep.

Mean Mister Mustard
The best was after Nielson quit on his stool against Tyson. Smoger goes over to his corner and asked him if he wanted to continue. When Brian said no Smoger started telling yelling: I love you, I love you!
Method
LOL. Totally.

How about when Fucking Nady (Was it Nady) who actually reached out his hand to help a knocked down fighter get up. Talk about SHADY. Brutal, help me out here, who was that the helped a fighter up not once but twice during the fight, and HBO just completely ignored it.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 28 2008, 09:59 AM) [snapback]384279[/snapback]
How about when Fucking Nady (Was it Nady) who actually reached out his hand to help a knocked down fighter get up. Talk about SHADY. Brutal, help me out here, who was that the helped a fighter up not once but twice during the fight, and HBO just completely ignored it.

Shit... I know what you're talking about but can't remember. It wasn't too long ago either. I don't think it was Nady but I could be wrong... It'll come to me...

Tha Docta
QUOTE(Method @ Mar 28 2008, 09:59 AM) [snapback]384279[/snapback]
LOL. Totally.

i remember tyson asking for a hand up in his last fight against mcbride. but that bastard ref wouldnt help him up.
PR316
I remember when Nady held Zab up, preventing him from falling a 3rd time after getting decked hard by Kostya Tszyu. The other one you guys are talking about I'm not too sure.

You know I've always felt that Nady was never a bad ref, but just one of those that after having a good performance overall, he'll have one moment or more where he just completely seems to lose focus or something.

Like I felt he allowed Vargas to take a bit too much punishment against Trinidad and he should have stopped the fight after the 2nd knockdown in the 12th round.

But I've always felt that he conducted himself as a professional and for the most part he lets the guys fight.
Method
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 28 2008, 11:11 AM) [snapback]384284[/snapback]
Shit... I know what you're talking about but can't remember. It wasn't too long ago either. I don't think it was Nady but I could be wrong... It'll come to me...

Y, it might not have been Nady, but it was baaaad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.