Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quintana Holds Out on Paul Williams Rematch
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
Quintana Holds Out on Paul Williams Rematch

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Carlos Quintana has not signed the fight contract for his rematch with Paul Williams. Quintana upset Williams on February 9 with unanimous decision win to capture the title, and a few weeks later Williams exercised the rematch clause of their original deal.

Quintana is upset with the money being offered and is unhappy with the date of the fight. He is not willing to fight Williams for the same amount of money as the first time (believed to be around 250,000). He also wants to fight Williams on June 14, and not on the advertised date of June 7.

"I'm supposed to make more money in this fight than what I what I made in the first where I won the welterweight title. They are not offering me a lot of money," Quintana said to Primera Hora. "They are offering me the minimum and the fight is worth a lot more. Besides, I want to fight on June 14 and not on the 7th."

U.S. Champ
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 27 2008, 10:18 AM) [snapback]384041[/snapback]
Quintana Holds Out on Paul Williams Rematch
By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Carlos Quintana has not signed the fight contract for his rematch with Paul Williams. Quintana upset Williams on February 9 with unanimous decision win to capture the title, and a few weeks later Williams exercised the rematch clause of their original deal.

Quintana is upset with the money being offered and is unhappy with the date of the fight. He is not willing to fight Williams for the same amount of money as the first time (believed to be around 250,000). He also wants to fight Williams on June 14, and not on the advertised date of June 7.

"I'm supposed to make more money in this fight than what I what I made in the first where I won the welterweight title. They are not offering me a lot of money," Quintana said to Primera Hora. "They are offering me the minimum and the fight is worth a lot more. Besides, I want to fight on June 14 and not on the 7th."

First of all Paul gave him a shot he needs to return the favor and the talk about money and fight dates lets me know he might be worried that paul has him figured out
Douchebag
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Mar 27 2008, 11:47 AM) [snapback]384044[/snapback]
First of all Paul gave him a shot he needs to return the favor and the talk about money and fight dates lets me know he might be worried that paul has him figured out

I could see that if he were trying to pull out of the fight completely but he isn't. He is just trying to get paid more this time around because he is the Champ and not the Challenger. He should get the lions share of the purse.
rusty_trombone
i bet you would call him "bitchmade" if he was a european fighter.
Douchebag
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 27 2008, 11:56 AM) [snapback]384047[/snapback]
i bet you would call him "bitchmade" if he was a european fighter.

Not at all.........I never called any of those Euro fighter bitch made untill I noticed an underlying trend in their dealings. I never said that these guys can't get their money. Shit anybody that has seen me post knows that I'm all about chasing that paper, but you have to admit that some of these guys dealings have been a little suspect to say the least.

As far as Quintana the bottom line is this a Champ should get paid like a Champ regardless of where their from.
Fitz
I was a little annoyed when I read the title of the thread. Though I don't think Quintana should get the lions share, I don't think his demands are unreasonable either. I expect the demands will probably be met, and the fight will go on.
BrutalBodyShots
When are fighters, and fans to some degree going to accept that money has much more to do with marketability and drawing power than "champion" status.

Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 27 2008, 12:09 PM) [snapback]384055[/snapback]
I was a little annoyed when I read the title of the thread. Though I don't think Quintana should get the lions share, I don't think his demands are unreasonable either. I expect the demands will probably be met, and the fight will go on.

Confused

Why don't you think he should get the Lions share of the purse? The fact is he doesn't even have fight Paul right now. (I would consider that a bitchmove) but he doesn't have to take the fight if he doesn't want to. And he didn't complain at all when he took the 250,000K the first time around. Paul should play his position and give Carlos what he would want if he were the Champ.
JD
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 27 2008, 12:11 PM) [snapback]384057[/snapback]
When are fighters, and fans to some degree going to accept that money has much more to do with marketability and drawing power than "champion" status.

When they, or their guy, are on the other side of the equation.
salvador
Either he signed a contract or he didn't. If he did sign it in order to get the shot of a lifetime (after blowing his first shot against Cotto), then he should man up. And if he signed the contract but the contract didn't specify how much he'd make in the second fight, then he should get a new lawyer. Mostly, he should just be happy he's not fighting a Don King fighter because he'd have signed away 30% of his purses for the rest of his life just for getting the shot in the first place.

Someone really needs to clean this sport up.
Douchebag
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 27 2008, 12:11 PM) [snapback]384057[/snapback]

I got a 100 that you wouldn't feel that way if you fought your way to a Championship.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 27 2008, 12:15 PM) [snapback]384064[/snapback]
I got a 100 that you wouldn't feel that way if you fought your way to a Championship.

Sure I wouldn't "feel" that way but how you "feel" has nothing to do with it. I might "feel" that the job I'm currently working should pay 90k per year, but if the market says 70k I'm going to get paid 70k.

Sure Quintana snatched the WBO strap... but who would you rather see? Quintana-Mayweather/Quintana-Cotto... or Williams-Mayweather/Williams-Cotto?
Douchebag
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 27 2008, 01:16 PM) [snapback]384077[/snapback]
Sure I wouldn't "feel" that way but how you "feel" has nothing to do with it. I might "feel" that the job I'm currently working should pay 90k per year, but if the market says 70k I'm going to get paid 70k.

Sure Quintana snatched the WBO strap... but who would you rather see? Quintana-Mayweather/Quintana-Cotto... or Williams-Mayweather/Williams-Cotto?

After PW got exposed I don't want to see him with either of them until gets his defense together.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 27 2008, 01:22 PM) [snapback]384079[/snapback]
After PW got exposed I don't want to see him with either of them until gets his defense together.

But if you were going to pay to see one other the other... Quintana against Mayweather or Cotto (II) or Williams against either guy, which would you prefer?

Douchebag
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 27 2008, 01:32 PM) [snapback]384084[/snapback]
But if you were going to pay to see one other the other... Quintana against Mayweather or Cotto (II) or Williams against either guy, which would you prefer?

Honestly, I would have to wait untill after the rematch before I can answer that question. I'm not going to pay money to see PW comming off of a loss to fight either Cotto or Floyd. Especially the way he lost. Cotto or Floyd are just out of league right now. I would like to see a Quintana Vs. Floyd match, though.
kidbazooka1
I don't blame Quinatana he already whooped Williams ass he deserves to get paid more this time around. Sh*t it's not like PW is some kind of huge attarction where he would always get paid more than his opponent.

If he doesn't get what he wants he should just move on.
The Original MrFactor
If he signed the contract and it specifies purses, shame on him...
BrutalBodyShots
I'm not suggesting that Williams is some "huge attraction" but his physical makeup makes him more of an attraction matchup wise with other guys in the division and makes him more marketable than Quintana.

streetlion1
CQ should get more cheese this time around since he is the champ. I wanna see if Williams improved his defense and boxing skills.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Mar 28 2008, 12:39 AM) [snapback]384243[/snapback]
CQ should get more cheese this time around since he is the champ. I wanna see if Williams improved his defense and boxing skills.

"Should" and "Will" are 2 different things.

Douchebag
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 28 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]384287[/snapback]
"Should" and "Will" are 2 different things.

You don't think that he will get more money this time around? Seems to me that all the chips are on his side of the table this time around. People where already avoiding PW before he lost, now they have a legit excuse not to fight him. PW needs to avenge this loss more than Quintana needs to prove the doubters wrong. Whats stopping Quintana from fighting Clottey instead. dntknw.gif
AussieLad
The only reason he isnt fighting williams is because of his bitcharseness, when he was made god broke the bitch mould... LOL

If there was a rematch clause, and one party exercises it, then the fight should be on. If there isnt, he can fight whoever he wants
Douchebag
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Mar 28 2008, 05:45 PM) [snapback]384373[/snapback]
The only reason I don't like williams is because of his bitcharseness, when he was made god broke the bitch mould... LOL

If there was a rematch clause, and one party exercises it, then the fight should be on. If there isnt, he can fight whoever he wants

wtf?
AussieLad
First few lines were just a dig about the euro fighters thread... friends.gif

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Mar 28 2008, 09:06 PM) [snapback]384398[/snapback]

i think you have to translate aussie to english for him.

bitcharse=bitchass
Douchebag
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Mar 28 2008, 10:06 PM) [snapback]384398[/snapback]

You and Crusty obviously didn't read what is in the quotation in my post. Completely went over both of you genius' heads.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Mar 29 2008, 02:50 PM) [snapback]384487[/snapback]
You and Crusty obviously didn't read what is in the quotation in my post. Completely went over both of you genius' heads.

someone else used to call me crusty on this board. i forgot what that douches name was, was it X3_Bazooka or something. now it makes sense, your hating on williams because he beat your precious margarito. it took you a pretty long time to come around again after you "most feared fighter on the planet" lost.

welcome back douche
Douchebag
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 31 2008, 12:20 PM) [snapback]384692[/snapback]
someone else used to call me crusty on this board. i forgot what that douches name was, was it X3_Bazooka or something. now it makes sense, your hating on williams because he beat your precious margarito. it took you a pretty long time to come around again after you "most feared fighter on the planet" lost.

welcome back douche

Actually, I don't know who you're talking about and I can't stand Margarito. I hope that squinty faced fucker get starched by Cintron on the 12. Nice try though..................Crusty.
rubbigd
it really doesn't matter,same outcome!! paul is overrated.
Boxingjunkie
If the amount was specified in the original contract then thats what he shoud be fighting for. If 250,000 was what was agreed to in the original contract that tells me that Quintana didnt think he would win. He should do better negotiatiing next time if thats the case.
JD
From the sound of it, the deal for the rematch was already set as part of the contract for the first fight. Since it was an "optional defense", rematch clauses are a non-issue.

With that in mind, it sounds like the deal was already made to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.