Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lennox Lewis: "I am the last great heavyweight!"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
LENNOX LEWIS: "I AM THE LAST GREAT HEAVYWEIGHT"

"I may have to come back and grab the money from these younger cats and say, 'hey, you guys are having too much fun!' They're throwing money and making it rain and all that. We gotta get some of that," stated the last great heavyweight king Lennox Lewis as he joked about coming out of retirement. Check out what else he had to say as Emperor Lewis sets the record straight about a comeback and shares his thoughts on Wladimir Klitschko, Sam Peter, the rumored Holyfield-Tyson 3 bout, mixed martial arts and his own background in wrestling, his experiene on "Celebrity Apprentice" and much more.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2316.html

Damn good interview that Percy did with Emperor Lewis. Just to put the comeback talk to rest, he's officially "cool" and has NO intention of coming back and tarnishing his legacy.

I have to admit...he IS the last great heavyweight. During his time, I really didn't appreciate him that much, but boy do I miss him now.

laugh.gif
rusty_trombone
Damn, I can't believe he brought up the Botha fight. hahaha.

he better watch out, buffalo will be gunning for him now. the poster and the "fighter"
BrutalBodyShots
Well, he more or less was the last great heavyweight in hindsight.

Tha Docta
sometimes i think that i miss having lennox around, and then i remember his fight with david tua and fall asleep. his fights with holyfield were snoozers too. and theres no reason to have a boring fight with evander holyfield.

a young lennox was something to watch, but after he got starched by Mccall he became a little boring to watch.
torvix2000
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 28 2008, 08:52 PM) [snapback]384367[/snapback]
a young lennox was something to watch, but after he got starched by Mccall he became a little boring to watch.

I agree. I was always critical of Lennox's "pussiness". But when I was able to watch some of his old fights... the heck... I was asking myself why he became that... from real fun to watch to somewhat boring.

He should have let himself allow time to strengthen his chin. WLAD's chin seems to be getting tougher but he's very cautious. Lennox-like attitude. And a lot here were criticizing WLAD's.
TheWhiteBuffalo
Lennox makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. This guy couldn't be any more delusional than he already is. The last great Heavyweight? Does the last great Heavyweight get his ass handed to him by Vitali Klitschko? Does the last great Heavyweight feel good about the loss to a guy like Rachman?

Notice how Lennox has to point out his fluke win over Botha? Out of ALL of his victories, he feels the need to throw Botha's name out there to prove his legacy. Why? Because his win over an injured Frans Botha is the highlight of his career. Not only did he escape a cranial fracture at the hands of the "World's Most Powerful Puncher", but he also left the ring with his gold.

It is too bad that Lennox still gets airtime and attention. He was never a huge draw, and he certainly jumped into the Division during a period when the competition was limited.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Mar 28 2008, 03:52 PM) [snapback]384367[/snapback]
sometimes i think that i miss having lennox around, and then i remember his fight with david tua and fall asleep. his fights with holyfield were snoozers too. and theres no reason to have a boring fight with evander holyfield.

His fight with Mercer was after McCall, and that was one of the best action heavyweight fights of the 90's. He went all out and annihilated Golota after the McCall fight. I also thought the 2nd fight with Holyfield was pretty good incidentally. And certainly his TKO of Vitali was a damn good action fight.

I really disagree with the sentiment that Lennox was boring. The Tua fight was the only real stinker I can think of him being involved in.
Boxingjunkie
It remains to be seen if he will be THE last great heavyweight, but at this point since his retirement he was definitly the last great heavyweight. For such a big man Lennox was great. Yes he did have some boring fights but who doesnt? Even Tyson in his prime had boring fights with Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker. Not every fight can be a barn burner.
buford54
Lemmywinks is still dilusional, it appears.
He was exciting in the 90's, and once he got his belts, he became a safety first fighter.
He says he was in it to win it against Botha?
But he fought Tua the exact same way Wlad fought Peter.
Pretty much Wlad is following his exact game plan...knockout the small/green guys and fight the threats with a long jab and the occasional right hand.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 29 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]384534[/snapback]
His fight with Mercer was after McCall, and that was one of the best action heavyweight fights of the 90's. He went all out and annihilated Golota after the McCall fight. I also thought the 2nd fight with Holyfield was pretty good incidentally. And certainly his TKO of Vitali was a damn good action fight.

I really disagree with the sentiment that Lennox was boring. The Tua fight was the only real stinker I can think of him being involved in.

i believe mr. slim has punched a few holes in my lennox lewis theory. there were more than a few action fights after the mccall debacle. briggs fight also comes to mind.

it could be possible that i still resent the man for how horrible the tua & holyfield fights were. i was so hyped for the tua fight. had a big party and then watched as everyone nearly fell asleep in my living room. and there was no reason for lennox to be as cautious as he was in the first holyfield fight.
streetlion1
no question Lennox is the last great heavy...who else would you put ahead of him? He is probably the only great of this past era. with Bowe..holyfield...and tyson following. Evander was my favorite though.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Mar 29 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]384534[/snapback]

I myself could not agree more. I never viewed Lewis as boring in any way. Not only those fights you mentioned but some of his early fights were good as well Lewis/Bruno, Lewis/Tucker and Lewis/Briggs(later fight) were great fights with some pretty decent back and forth action. And as for quick disposals.....you can add to Golota with Rudduck, Botha and Grant.

Maxy
Lennox wasn't appreciated when he was here (me included) but now he's long gone and the heavyweight division is as bad as its ever been, I really miss him. I just wish he was 35 or something and could come back and clean out all these boring eastern Europeans!
sid
QUOTE(Maxy @ Apr 4 2008, 07:25 PM) [snapback]385020[/snapback]
Lennox wasn't appreciated when he was here (me included) but now he's long gone and the heavyweight division is as bad as its ever been, I really miss him. I just wish he was 35 or something and could come back and clean out all these boring eastern Europeans!

I also wish we had someome like Lennox today, I really miss him 2.Today it hurts 2 watch the heavyweight division,who knows one day we might see a real good heavyweight champ again.I hope its gona be sooner than later.D/Haye is moving into the heavyweights,hope he can make things better? than now.
JakeNDaBox
QUOTE(Maxy @ Apr 4 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]385020[/snapback]

The only thing I appreciated about Lennox' reign was that there was stability at the top. Other than that, The Docta kinda had it right in that post-McCall (first fight) version of Lennox was hit-or-miss. Some fights were fun or at least entertaining in their own way, others weren't. It wasn't necessarily his fights that were boring (though some out and out stunk), but the way that he carried himself. Some people are arrogant but at least in an entertaining way, but Lennox always came across as more uppity than anything else.

Besides having a singular heavyweight champion, I can't really say that I miss seeing Lennox Lewis in the ring.
Method
Talk about acting "uppity", try bumping into Wlad Klitchko in non-boxing situations. Dude acts like a total priss. Which would be fine if he was a bad ass, but he's the World's Biggest Pussy.

IMO, Lennox Lewis was the last decent heavyweight, but I don't think he was "Great".
PR316
Quality of competition wise, we can't really say GREAT, because even though he beat everyone he fought, the fact that he lost to both Rahman and McCall does bring some doubt.

If we lower standards, then sure we can say he was great. But who did Lennox have to fight that at the same time he was around was also "great"?.. Nobody really.

But he is the best heavyweight of the past 10 or so years that for sure.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(PR316 @ Apr 15 2008, 01:44 PM) [snapback]386318[/snapback]
Quality of competition wise, we can't really say GREAT, because even though he beat everyone he fought, the fact that he lost to both Rahman and McCall does bring some doubt.

If we lower standards, then sure we can say he was great. But who did Lennox have to fight that at the same time he was around was also "great"?.. Nobody really.
But he is the best heavyweight of the past 10 or so years that for sure.

i never liked lennox, but i would consider him a great fighter. we could also say that larry holmes wasnt great since his competition was mediocre at best. lennox's competition was so so, but that wasnt his fault. he also beat every man that he has faced in the ring which is pretty impressive.

i would not feel safe betting on any of the great heavyweight champions in years past against lennox. his size and skill would have made him a tough out for anyone.
buford54
I just love his arrogance. The "Last" Great HW.
Like there won't be anyone, ever again in all of history who will ever equal his greatness? The guy ruled in a not-too terrific era of HW's. Holyfield was on his way out, and Tyson was done. Who else? Botha, Tua, Rahman? Mercer and Briggs in their prime...but he went life and death w/ Mercer.
Not to mention again his losses to McCall and Rahman.

Of course, nobody will ever top that...not for the rest of human history!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.