Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Mayweather Jr. ESPN Insider Chat Transcript
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
Welcome to The Show! On Friday, welterweight world champion boxer Floyd Mayweather stops by to chat about his entry into the WWE wrestling ring.

Mayweather will drop his boxing gloves when he appears in WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on Sunday. Mayweather, dubbed Floyd "Money" Mayweather for his WWE appearance, will face the Paul "Big Show" Wight to settle a disput that started in No Way Out. The 7-foot, 400-pound wrestler taunted the six-time boxing champion, and was left bloodied with a broken nose.

Mayweather, the current WBC welterweight champion, last fought in December. He knocked out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round of a 12-round fight to improve to 39-0-0 in his professional career. Mayweather will fight Oscar De La Hoya in the fall, in a rematch of their fight in 2007, that Mayweather won by a split decision.

Send in your questions now and then join Floyd at 12:30 p.m. ET on Friday!

MORE
Previous chat guests | SportsNation index

SportsNation Buzzmaster: We've moved the Floyd chat up a bit. We're going to be chatting in just a few minutes!

SportsNation Buzzmaster: We've got Floyd!

UB/MI: Will this be your only match in the WWE?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I don't really know what the future holds for Floyd Mayweather. Anything is possible. But I will still continue to do business with the WWE, becuase they handle business ina first class way.

Jeff (Rochester NY): Have you ever thought about dropping the nickname "Money" and just going with the "$" symbol?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: That's a good idea.

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: As soon as you see the dollar symbol anywhere, you'll think of me. That'll be hard to trademark.

Tim (Pittsburgh, PA): Floyd, whats is like to be a mega-star in las vegas?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Tim, I'm going to give you my phone number, because I want you to call me when you come to Vegas, because I Want you to party like a rock star. It's great to hang out in Vegas. You should come out to Vegas.

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: 702-576-3589. Ask for Jack. That's one of my assistants. Right now he's in Orlando. And I'll be in Orlando tonight.

Joe , Baltimore MD: what kind of trunks are you going to wear to the ring at wrestlemania XXIV? thanks!

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I really want to tell you, but that's a really big secret. You haven't seen money until you see Wrestlemania.

Jon, Los Angeles, CA: Any chance you'll fight Cotto in 2009 before retiring?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: At first he has to get his PPV numbers up and get a fan base.

Matt (Boston): Floyd, Did Vince bring this idea to you, or did you bring it to vince?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Both. We brought it to each other, but it really wasn't that. I went to wrestling, because I was a fan. It just happened. It's the four M's.

Darin Sutton Los Angeles CA: Money, I am a avid fan of yours but you have got me a bit concerned.I am looking forward to your rematch with Oscar How do you deal with 440 lb Big Show ?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Tune in. You'll have to tune in. I'm a little nervous on this one. I'm going to fight my heart out.

Naisha Gibson Detroit Michigan: How do u feel about the bad reviews and the heavy criticism, even though you've accomplished so much? How do you feel about people not giving you as much credit for what you have done as you deserve? And I love you so much, you turned me on to boxing i didn't think twice about the sport until I seen your fight with Judah, I've been following your career ever since!

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I got good luck, because God loves me. Everybody that criticizes me don't have what I have.

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I thought everybody loves success. It's obvious they don't.

Ben (West Lafayette, IN): How do you fight someone 3 times your size?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: That's hard to do. But I've been training with guys 7 feet, 2.

Richard Mensah, London: Yo, Floyd two questions are you going to visit the UK soon if so when? 2nd) How does it feel to be the most talked about man in the world? does it add more presurre?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I love the UK. I can't wait to come back. I used to always have dreams about me being one of the hottest athletes and entertainers in the world. I'm happy with what I've accomplished.

JT (Indiana): Are you going to Steal the Show at Wrestlemania? Best Match Ever in Mania History?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I'm the Main Event and I'm the main attraction. I see everyone talking about my match.

Amber (Staten Island, NY): How do you balance family life and your career? And is it true that you and 50 Cent fought each other?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I would love to spend a lot more time with my family. Every day I'm coming up with new ideas. I'm involved in so many different fields. Right now my kids have nothing to worry about, but by the time they're 18 all four of them should be billionaires.

David(TX): Do you see yourself ever fighting in mecca of boxing, Madison Square Garden vs a fighter like Miguel Cotto?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Who knows what the future might hold, but everyone knows that Las Vegas is the mecca of boxing.

John (Long Island, NY): Floyd, love your style man. Who were your boxing heroes when you were growing up?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Aaron Prior. Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns. Larry Holmes. Pernell Whitaker. Julio Cesar Chavez. Roger Mayweather.

Joe , Baltimore MD: give me one good reason to pay for this match?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I can give you a million reasons. I can give you a million reasons. It's the biggest versus the best. That's No. 1.

Marty (Baltimore): Were you a WWE fan growing up?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I've been a fan since before they were calling it the WWE.

Ciara Cincinnati Ohio: Floyd, you often get a lot of backlash from people who do not understand you or your flashy lifestyle and ways. How do you deal with the negative recations of people when you step onto a satge? Does it hurt when you are not accepted by a majority crowd?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: They have to roll with me or get rolled on. They better get right or they're going to get left.

Bob (Minneapolis): If you could fight any boxer in history in his prime, who would it be?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Sugar Ray Leonard.

Jeff (Phoenix): Favorite Wrestler growing up?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Probably Mr. Perfect and Brett ''The Hitman'' Hart.

Joe , Baltimore MD: have you been traning the same way for this match that you would for a real fight? thanks!

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I've had to train overtime. I've had to do two in one day.

Dave, Tampa, Fl: is there more to life than money?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Yeah, more money.

adam estep (houston texas): Whats was a better feeling, your first title fight win, or your chilrdens birth?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Child's birth.

Tomas(Texas): Floyd, you are the pounds for pound best fighter in the world. You have everything. What drives you to train hard and give 110 percent when you step in the ring?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I truly believe that whatever you want to get involved with in life, if you're not going to give it your all, don't do it at all. When you push yourself to the limit, you're going to get great results.

Jonathan (Lawrence, Kansas): How high is the limit for Floyd Mayweather?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I have to go Master P style. There is no limit. Unnnnnnhhhhhhh.

Alex (Grand Forks,ND): What other boxer would you love to pummel into retirement?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: De La Hoya and Hatton. They've basically both retired. What I'm going to do to De La Hoya is what Richard Prior talked about in standup comedy. I already broke De La Hoya once. Now I'll bring him back to life and break him again.

Jonathan (Lawrence, Kansas): Floyd do you have a favorite boxing/fighting movie?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: It sure wasn't Rocky. My favorite movie is the one I'm coming out with Billion Dollar Baby.

adam estep (houston texas): most overrated fighter in your eyes is?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Arturo Gatti.

David Stuckey, London, England: Money May - any chance a potential rematch with the Hitman will be at 140? Sorry I know this is a WWE thing just thought i'd ask. Cheers matey Stuckey

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: He knows what weightclass I fight at. If Ricky Hatton wants to get kicked, I'll kick him again. I'm the Hitman. Ask Ricky. He'll tell you.

Luke Danbury CT: What fighter do you enjoy watching the most right now?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I'm in Connecticut right now. I like to watch the amateur fighters. The up and comers. I'm not really interested in these professional fighters.

Seth, St. Louis: It seems as if with your career whatever remarkable feat you achieve, from beating the recognized welter champ(Baldomir) with one hand, to beating the best junior middle in the world( De la Hoya), to ko'ing the best junior welter in the world (Hatton), that its never enough for some fans, and Commentators alike. Does that ever get to you?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: If they don't continue to hate on me than I'm not doing my job right.

Brandon (Arlington, VA): I will personally buy enough PPVs to make a match with Cotto equal what you sell against De La Hoya

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I just found out who Cotto was today, because he never has called me.

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: More fans are asking for the fight than he is. He's never asked for the fight.

Marty (Baltimore): Are you a big College Basketball?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I'm mad because Maryland isn't in it. But since they're not in it, I'm going for Memphis.

Tim (Pittsburgh, PA): Floyd, why did you put your boxing career in jeopordy by taking this fight with the Big Show, and what do you hope to accomplish from this match?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Absolutely. But I'm semi-retired.

Matt (Boston): Fav. Sports team?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Any team that's in Boston. The Red Sox.

Ron (Miami): Floyd what is your favorite car that you have ever owned?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: I got a lot of cars. I have like 20. I have the limited edition Phantom. I have the 430 drop top Spider. I have two 750 BMWs.

Nick (sioux falls, sd): What fight in your entire career did you have the most fun winning?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: The Hatton fight meant more to me than the De La Hoya fight. I felt like I was fighting for my country. I wanted the world to know that the best fighter comes from the US.

Jonathan (Lawrence, Kansas): Do you have any favorite Vegas clubs?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Every club in Vegas is good. You should come to Vegas. Go to the door and tell them that Money Mayweather is your name and getting money is the game.

Sean Richmond VA: What has your impression been of the stars of WWE?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Everybody from the WWE are true gentlmen. They handle themselves in a classy way. I can see why the sport is so big.

Joshua Martinez (Pottstown, PA): How did it feel to sucker punch The Big Show?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Great. Great. It felt great. Broke his nose.

Brandon, MI: Is the Roger situation resolved and will he train you for the De La Hoya fight?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: He'll train for me the De La Hoya fight.

Joe (Huntsville,AL): Any more thoughts on doing MMA?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Yes, it's possible.

Rich (Stamford CT): Which was tougher to train for - Dancing with the Stars or Wrestlemania?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Both.

Aaron (Dighton, MA): Floyd, you're a terrific fighter. Do you enjoy playing the bad guy role in the WWE?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Absolutely. Love it.

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: If we have all good guys, we won't have no controversy. We need some bad guys for controversy.

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: God bless. Order Wrestlemania 24, the biggest and best ever. Thanks for the love and support. God bless.
BigG
Dave, Tampa, Fl: is there more to life than money?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Yeah, more money.

LOL..
Mean Mister Mustard
I am amazed that the same questions are asked every single chat session. At leas no one asked him who would win a fight between him and SRR. I can't help but wonder what type of people his fans are. I mean I understand some people like his style, any true boxing fan does but what about those who like him as a person and root for him to win?
Byrd Man
This is the best one though:

Tim (Pittsburgh, PA): Floyd, why did you put your boxing career in jeopordy by taking this fight with the Big Show, and what do you hope to accomplish from this match?

SportsNation Floyd Mayweather: Absolutely. But I'm semi-retired.

He didn't answer either question, and whatever the fuck he said, wasn't even close to being what the questions were about. lol
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Mar 28 2008, 12:54 PM) [snapback]384329[/snapback]
This is the best one though:
He didn't answer either question, and whatever the fuck he said, wasn't even close to being what the questions were about. lol

LOL. The question is also funny, as if he was really going to fight the Big Show.
BrutalBodyShots
Yeah I thought "WTF" when he totally avoided answering those questions.

kidbazooka1
I knew floyd always respected Chavez but I was bit suprsied to hear him say Chavez was one of his heroes considering JC KO'ed his uncle/trainer.
Byrd Man
It fits thought. Both of them made their career by fighting nobodies and people past their primes. *shrugs*
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Mar 28 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]384342[/snapback]
It fits thought. Both of them made their career by fighting nobodies and people past their primes. *shrugs*

I hope you are joking.
Byrd Man
lol
Byrd Man
I was never a follower of JCC Sr., however I did see a few of his fights near the end of his career (Taylor I, DLH) but I do recall reading that among the many critics of JCC jr, is that LIKE HIS FATHER, he has been brought along on a steady diet of bums and tomato cans.

Perhaps that is an incorrect assessment of Sr., however that IS a criticism that I have heard many times. That he was protected, so to speak, which lends to the Taylor fiasco being part of that protection. Fight stopped two seconds before it's over, undefeated Mexican LEGEND losing on the cards, and the perfect record at risk.

I dunno. I just know what I've heard.
PR316
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Mar 28 2008, 06:33 PM) [snapback]384342[/snapback]

So Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo were nobodies??....
Byrd Man
go back and read what I wrote
buford54
I hate that he listed Gatti as the most overrated fighter.
He would still be a no-name who couldn't sell out a Burger King without Gatti.
Also, he was calling Gatti a "C" fighter in the build up to their fight, then after the fight he apologized to Gatti, said it was all to hype the fight and that Gatti was an "A" fighter.
Turn your back though...
He may be right, skill-wise Gatti was overrated...but Gatti was loved for his style and excitement, not his skill. The same reason that Mayweather is respected, but not loved.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(buford54 @ Mar 28 2008, 02:45 PM) [snapback]384357[/snapback]
He may be right, skill-wise Gatti was overrated...but Gatti was loved for his style and excitement, not his skill. The same reason that Mayweather is respected, but not loved.

I agree, I don't think real boxing fans overrate Gatti at all. We all knew what he was and what he wasn't.

Floyd's a prick.
thehype
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 28 2008, 01:47 PM) [snapback]384327[/snapback]
LOL..

LOL. Out of that entire chat, that's the exact same thing I was about to quote.
Method
who couldn't sell out a Burger King without Gatti.
Also, he was calling Gatti a "C" fighter in the build up to their fight, then after the fight he apologized to Gatti, said it was all to hype the fight and that Gatti was an "A" fighter.
Turn your back though...
He may be right, skill-wise Gatti was overrated...but Gatti was loved for his style and excitement, not his skill. The same reason that Mayweather is respected, but not loved

Take away Gatti, DLH and Hatton, and he still couldn't sell out BK.
PrfPmp
Take away Tito and DLH and NOBODY except the convicts he served time with would know who Hopkins is.
Whats your point??
Those are Floyds "mainstream" victories.....at least they didnt come against men who fought as many as 4 weightclasss lower than him.
STEVENSKI
I would personally lie to see a real fight between Paul Wright & PBF. I would enjoy seeing him get his head squeezed until a eye pops out his head, in front of his wife & kids of course.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Mar 28 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]384342[/snapback]

This is coming from a Chris Byrd fan. LOL

Obviousley you don't know much about Chavez. Everyone here has a favorite fighter or one they admire more so than others. Chavez like many already know is mine I make no secret of that but for you to say he fought bums and nobodies throughout his career just shows how little you know of one of the all time greats of this sport.

Mayweather
Rosario
Ramirez
laporte
taylor
haugen
camacho

Were these guys bums?

Chavez came up the hard way he had no amateur career he fought his way to the top when he did become champ he would regurlarly take easy fights inbetween big fights just to stay sharp. Chavez in his prime was never beaten and ducked no one. Those Randall fights and DLH fights were when JC was well past his prime and into booze big time.
BigG
Rocky Lockridge was also a pretty underrated fighter Chavez beat. Rocky was a 2x champ.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Mar 29 2008, 03:33 AM) [snapback]384449[/snapback]
This is coming from a Chris Byrd fan. LOL

Obviousley you don't know much about Chavez. Everyone here has a favorite fighter or one they admire more so than others. Chavez like many already know is mine I make no secret of that but for you to say he fought bums and nobodies throughout his career just shows how little you know of one of the all time greats of this sport.

Mayweather
Rosario
Ramirez
laporte
taylor
haugen
camacho

Were these guys bums?

Chavez came up the hard way he had no amateur career he fought his way to the top when he did become champ he would regurlarly take easy fights inbetween big fights just to stay sharp. Chavez in his prime was never beaten and ducked no one. Those Randall fights and DLH fights were when JC was well past his prime and into booze big time.

Well as I stated, I didn't get to see a lot of his fights. Was just pointing out what a lot of people have said in the past, whether that's true or not. Just pointing that out.

CreDog

"Chavez came up the hard way he had no amateur career"

This is an excellent point. The early fights that Chavez had could be considered his "amatuer career"

IMO the stats aren't inflated-- he just went about it a different way.

He's no doubt an all time great, first ballot HOF'er who has fought tough and quality opposition.

However and Not to beat a dead horse but, the draw with Sweat Pea was an outright robbery.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.