Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones's path.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Mean Mister Mustard
So Jones is not what he once was, his relfexes are diminishing with every fight, his legs aren't good and he doesn't seem to have a solid defense. Still, his hand speed is superior to almost everyone at lightheavyweight, he has experience and he seems to be hungry for the respect he has lost. He had a good performance against Trinidad. And sure, Trinidad was the smaller guy and coming off a 2 year layoff but at least Jones dominated him. And it seems to have shot some juice into his motivation.

So what does Jones do after a win? He waits and waits and the longer he waits the slower he gets. He should be getting in the ring fighting some top 10 guys or contenders. I remember after he beat The Prince, Reg One kept saying how Roy was back. I told him to wait and see Jones stay inactive for months. Lo and behold he did. Is this the right course of action for Jones? Does he benefit more from fighting regularly or is that a risk at his age?
thehype
I guess it kind of depends on his goal.

If he's looking to enhance his legacy, then he should be fighting more often and staying sharp.

HOWEVER....

In my opinion, it seems like he's just fighting for the money, so if that's the case, he might as well just sit around and wait for the biggest possible purse.

Personally, I think HBO should pull a Dana White and force a fight between Winky and Jones. Both of them cats are begging like crazy for a fight so why not fight each other for Florida supremacy.
Mean Mister Mustard
Is he really fighting just for the money? Is his situation Mike Tyson "Oh shit, I just flushed millions down the toilet"?

Would he really fight Winky? The 2 of them are friends plus Winky did not look too good at 170 so maybe he wouldn't. Then again if he gets paid well I'm sure he would do it. But that would be a situation where he would have to be well compensated to be taking on his friend at a higher weight.
BigG
Totally agree with Hype. But thats never happening because Winky and Roy are friends.
getup

Fighters will always be motivated by money.....Roy's got alot of it but I do think he's sticking around because he wants to leave the sport at or near the top once again.

Getting a showdown with the winner of Hops/Cal would surely give him an opportunity to do just that.

The CEO
When I think of Jones and the word, "path"..I can't help but think of his path to the canvas....if you'll notice, both of his travels there were very similar.......it's like once he got cracked, he immediately thought was in a Nestea commercial....dude was straight plunging......laugh.gif
Col Reb
I would like to see Roy take on Chris Byrd, with the winner getting Dawson or Cal-Hop somewhere down the road. It would be very interesting to see how Roy and Bryd's styles would mesh.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Mar 30 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]384574[/snapback]
I would like to see Roy take on Chris Byrd, with the winner getting Dawson or Cal-Hop somewhere down the road. It would be very interesting to see how Roy and Bryd's styles would mesh.

A match with Byrd would be a good fight for both. Jones needs a fighter like Byrd to bring the best out of him. He wont have to worry about getting knocked out so he should be more willing to mix it up.

Byrd will look at Jones as a good test at light heavy but a good test. Beating Jones would be a good start at light heavy.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Mar 31 2008, 12:05 AM) [snapback]384661[/snapback]
A match with Byrd would be a good fight for both. Jones needs a fighter like Byrd to bring the best out of him. He wont have to worry about getting knocked out so he should be more willing to mix it up.

Byrd will look at Jones as a good test at light heavy but a good test. Beating Jones would be a good start at light heavy.

Good point, at this stage Jones should be fighting guys who can't knock him out. I'm pretty Jones is going to get one last big fight before he retires. Question is: Who will it be against?
Nay_Sayer
Byrd KO's Jones.

Roy needs to retire because nobody cares...
Mean Mister Mustard
I want to wait and see if Byrd can even make 175.
Douchebag
Byrd should have some decent pop at lightheavy being that he is coming down in weight so..........I don't Jones takeing that fight unless he has no other options.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 1 2008, 01:03 PM) [snapback]384757[/snapback]
Byrd should have some decent pop at lightheavy being that he is coming down in weight so..........I don't Jones takeing that fight unless he has no other options.
\
If Byrd can comfortably make 175lbs then he'll startch Jones, without a doubt. That said, I don't expect that Jones takes this fight unless he has no choice. In that event, I would expect Jones to retire...
Tha Docta
im probably in the minority, but I think Byrd is done at any weight. hes lost his speed and gets tagged by punches that he would have easily slipped in his prime.

moving down in weight will make it even harder for him to land his shots. the guys will be quicker and the workrate will be higher. and I dont think this move to light heavy will all of a sudden make byrd a huge puncher. i think he will lose UD's instead of getting KTFO, but thats the only difference i see.
BigG
I agree...I wouldn't be surprised if Glencoffe Johnson decisioned Byrd..and I'd pick Dawson and Roy over him.
rusty_trombone
yeah, i don't know if vyrd can easily make 175. i mean, when you don't train to cut weight for years, your body certainly won't be accustomed to it and neither will his psyche. i don't expect roy to fight him either, since i really don't think byrd exactly brings a shitload of interest/money to the table. sure, i'd want to see it, but no one in the general public is clamoring to see byrd fight anyone, and not much for roy right now either.

honestly, i would just love to see roy fight shitbags and put on a great show like he used to. he's not fighting any meaningful fights anymore, so at least give us a show.
BrutalBodyShots
Byrd better not jump in there with a top guy at 175... I want to see how he looks first.

treyes7123
After Dawson kayoes GJ, knocking him down six times in the process, followed by CD's demolition of Tarver. Jones fights Dawson in Zaire and knocks him out in the eighth to cheers of "RJ bumaya, RJ bumaya". .....that is the path i see for RJ.
Douchebag
QUOTE(treyes7123 @ Apr 2 2008, 04:10 PM) [snapback]384838[/snapback]
After Dawson kayoes GJ, knocking him down six times in the process, followed by CD's demolition of Tarver. Jones fights Dawson in Zaire and knocks him out in the eighth to cheers of "RJ bumaya, RJ bumaya". .....that is the path i see for RJ.

That shit would be dope, but RJJ's chin issues will never let that happen.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 2 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]384843[/snapback]
That shit would be dope, but RJJ's chin issues will never let that happen.

theres more than just the chin issue as to why that will never happen.
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah but Roy's chin is very suceptible now that his reflexes are gone. He can no longer fight with his hands down like he used to. Now he has to fight like his friend Wright and that makes him more of a stable target.
streetlion1
QUOTE(treyes7123 @ Apr 2 2008, 03:10 PM) [snapback]384838[/snapback]

No chance in hell RJJ beats Dawson or anyone of real substance for that matter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.