Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's so tough to see the current state of certain fighters.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Romulus9
I recorded ESPN Classic's RINGSIDE special on the 25 greatest knockouts. I'd seen bits and pieces of it before but made sure to record it this time.

You know, I can remember being in 7th or 8th grade, doing my research paper on pugilistic dementia. Even then it was something I was concerned about.

Then I see this special.

For those who haven't seen it, and I'm sure that applies to very few of you, make sure that you do. We're all aware of the condition Terry Norris is in. I'm so glad no one would give him a license when he tried to get one a while back. Jerry Quarry comes to mind, of course. There are other well-known cases. The two that really stood out here are Michael Moorer and Thomas Hearns. It's incredible how slurred Michael sounds right now. Tommy has been that way for a while but Michael's signs have really developed a lot in recent years. What's amazing is that so few, objectively, of the fighters of the Philadelphia gym wars and the overall brutal decades of the 50s and 60s in the middle weight classes have had problems. Look at the beatings taken and dished out by Carmen Basilio. You'd think he'd be in that shape... but he's not. George Chuvalo's head is clear as a bell and he was target practice for every good heavyweight of the 70s.

It's just a shake-up to see it, and it makes you wish that every fighter had the right kind of people around them to get in their ear and tell them when enough is enough.
TheWhiteBuffalo
Ray Mercer is well on that same path.

I just watched his 12-round loss in a fight that was held in China. Talk about a guy that needs to call it quits. It was real hard to watch.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Mar 31 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]384722[/snapback]
I recorded ESPN Classic's RINGSIDE special on the 25 greatest knockouts. I'd seen bits and pieces of it before but made sure to record it this time.

You know, I can remember being in 7th or 8th grade, doing my research paper on pugilistic dementia. Even then it was something I was concerned about.

Then I see this special.

For those who haven't seen it, and I'm sure that applies to very few of you, make sure that you do. We're all aware of the condition Terry Norris is in. I'm so glad no one would give him a license when he tried to get one a while back. Jerry Quarry comes to mind, of course. There are other well-known cases. The two that really stood out here are Michael Moorer and Thomas Hearns. It's incredible how slurred Michael sounds right now. Tommy has been that way for a while but Michael's signs have really developed a lot in recent years. What's amazing is that so few, objectively, of the fighters of the Philadelphia gym wars and the overall brutal decades of the 50s and 60s in the middle weight classes have had problems. Look at the beatings taken and dished out by Carmen Basilio. You'd think he'd be in that shape... but he's not. George Chuvalo's head is clear as a bell and he was target practice for every good heavyweight of the 70s.

It's just a shake-up to see it, and it makes you wish that every fighter had the right kind of people around them to get in their ear and tell them when enough is enough.

Excellent Post thumbsup_anim.gif
Douchebag
Yeah, That shit is pretty sad to see. Especially Muhamad Ali.
Mean Mister Mustard
The problem becomes worse when their sparring becomes almost like a real fight. Gym wars are hardly beneficial to a fighter. We all know the story of Ali sparring, laying on the ropes letting Holmes tee off on him.
kidbazooka1
One of the worst I've seen is Wilfred Benitez very sad stroy.

Antonio Cervantes is struggling big time aswell.
rusty_trombone
i think meldrick taylor is by far the worst i've seen.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Apr 1 2008, 10:42 PM) [snapback]384788[/snapback]
i think meldrick taylor is by far the worst i've seen.

Yeah I agree with that. I remember watching a piece on him on ESPN Classic maybe 6 months ago and it was really sad to see the deterioration.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 2 2008, 12:16 AM) [snapback]384795[/snapback]
Yeah I agree with that. I remember watching a piece on him on ESPN Classic maybe 6 months ago and it was really sad to see the deterioration.

No Taylor is not the worst go look up Wilfred Benitez and see for your self.

Romulus9
This thread just keeps nailing the point home. Look at the names that have been in this thread and what has happened. Almost EVERY case could have been helped, even to a small degree, if people around them could have jumped in and said enough is enough. Another point: look at how financially destitute so many of these same fighters are now. Especially Benitez but with several of the others too.

This is one reason I really like Gerry Cooney's work for former fighters but I wish something could have been done on a higher level a long time ago.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(wvu8893 @ Apr 2 2008, 01:30 AM) [snapback]384798[/snapback]
This thread just keeps nailing the point home. Look at the names that have been in this thread and what has happened. Almost EVERY case could have been helped, even to a small degree, if people around them could have jumped in and said enough is enough. Another point: look at how financially destitute so many of these same fighters are now. Especially Benitez but with several of the others too.

This is one reason I really like Gerry Cooney's work for former fighters but I wish something could have been done on a higher level a long time ago.

there is nothing anybody can do. If a grown man wants to continue fighting, its up to the commissions to do something. and it really doesnt take much to pass these physical examinations anyway. there isnt a test for dementia, and what happens when a trainer tells his fighter that he shouldnt fight anymore? he gets another trainer.

financial problems come from many different factors. alot of fighters get ripped off by promoters & managers, alot of guys just dont make alot of money fighting, and some fighters are just not smart enough to invest their money wisely. the fight game is a tough business.

but its not just boxing. the nfl has the same problem. guys are starting to go insane from too many concussions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.