Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What has been Australia's contribution to boxing.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
Are there any GREAT fighters or historic fights that have come from tha land down under.

I'll Wait.
Mean Mister Mustard
What has been Australia's contribution to boxing? Much more than your contribution to these forums.
D-MARV
Danny Green's sparring session with James Toney was very entertaining
Douchebag
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 2 2008, 02:16 PM) [snapback]384826[/snapback]
What has been Australia's contribution to boxing? Much more than your contribution to these forums.

Entertain me clown man.
CreDog
Jeff Fenech and Kostya Tszyu (although he is not technically from there) were pretty good fighters...

Method
What has been Massachusetts' contribution to Soul Food?
Douchebag
QUOTE(Method @ Apr 2 2008, 03:49 PM) [snapback]384836[/snapback]
What has been Massachusetts' contribution to Soul Food?

LMAO
Tha Docta
The fight between Steve Irwin and that big Sting Ray might be the winner

STEVENSKI
There have been some very good champions & contenders through Australia's short history & small population.

Some of the better ones were

Young Griffo
Les Darcy
Lionel Rose
Jeff Fenech
Jimmy Carruthers
Johnny Famechon

Sorry Conscience if we are the premier P4P sports nation in history (PR is the P4P boxing nation).

The fact that Jeff Fenech was a undefeated 3 (should be 4) division champion speaks for itself & places him in a class few are in. Three defenses of each title in each division & no paper championships say it all.
kidbazooka1
Tszyu in my opinion is one of the best Aussie fighters of all time.
BigG
Tszyu and Fenech...Honestly don't know much about the real old fighters but I guess Fitzsimons should be mentioned?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Apr 2 2008, 10:52 PM) [snapback]384861[/snapback]
Tszyu in my opinion is one of the best Aussie fighters of all time.

I always mention Tszyu but a lot of people consider him Russian even though he is a naturalised Aussie & fought his career out of Aus.
AussieLad
Les Darcy was a great fighter. Pity he got killed by his dentist (dodgy work to repair snapped teeth from boxing caused some sort of infection), his career was at the start of a World War and most australians seemed to lose interest in boxing around that time.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 2 2008, 08:12 PM) [snapback]384874[/snapback]
I always mention Tszyu but a lot of people consider him Russian even though he is a naturalised Aussie & fought his career out of Aus.

If Im correct Tszyu fought out of and represented Australia there for he should be remembered as such.

Not sure but I remember hearing that Tszyu is also part mongolian he looks more asian than anything else especially his old man.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 2 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]384854[/snapback]
There have been some very good champions & contenders through Australia's short history & small population.

Some of the better ones were

Young Griffo
Les Darcy
Lionel Rose
Jeff Fenech
Jimmy Carruthers
Johnny Famechon

Sorry Conscience if we are the premier P4P sports nation in history (PR is the P4P boxing nation).

The fact that Jeff Fenech was a undefeated 3 (should be 4) division champion speaks for itself & places him in a class few are in. Three defenses of each title in each division & no paper championships say it all.

My God Jeff Fenech was awesome in his day. The wars with Azumah Nelson are all time classics. Even though Tszyu was not born there he calls Australia home. He may not have been as great as Fenech but gave us some great fights and deserves to be recongnized for that.
STEVENSKI
Oh yeah I almost forgot.

Johnny Lewis

This is the guy that trained Tszyu & Fenech & is IMO the best trainer in the game who loves his fighters like they were his children.

BTW Tszyu has Korean bloodlines.
Spyder
Seriously, at least google Aussie Boxing before starting a thread like this.

Jeff Fenech and Kostya Tszyu are HUGE names...

dntknw.gif
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 3 2008, 08:14 PM) [snapback]384955[/snapback]
Oh yeah I almost forgot.

Johnny Lewis

This is the guy that trained Tszyu & Fenech & is IMO the best trainer in the game who loves his fighters like they were his children.

BTW Tszyu has Korean bloodlines.

There you korean i don't where i got Mongolian from.
pastor method
i wasn't aware that each country needed to make 'contributions'

i agree, from now on, no aussies shall be permitted to talk about boxing until they produce several great fights and fighters, it's only fair!

while i'm on it, no more germans, russians, colombians or canadians either! i'm sick of it. only brits, americans and mexicans, from now on!

as a canadian, this will be my last post until we produce more world champions.

moscow bear
HYPE, i think the IGNORE option is being urgently needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.