Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Margarito-Cintron II: Preview and Poll!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
I honestly can't see how Cintron wins..

He wont be able to handle the pressure and he will break down again once Margarito starts touching him with some serious leather. I got Margarito in the early rounds...

Margarito KO 4.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Cintron may be able to hold up a round or two longer this time, but he's still going to be mentally broken by mid fight. Margarito should stop him in about 6 or 7.

D-MARV
In keeping up with the "Year of the Underdog" I'm going with Cintron on this one(close points victory). I think we will start to see Margarito fade a little in this fight. I have always thought he was overrated and I see Cintron's hand speed being the difference in this fight. A determined Cintron will avenge is only Loss!
xxxxxx
Margarito by Brutal KO.
CreDog
I'll take Margarito... Steward hasn't had a good year-- Andy Lee losing, Wlad looking like dookie and JT looking better with Ozell.

Margarito via Cintron meltdown in the 7th.....
rusty_trombone
Viva Puerto Rico!
Mean Mister Mustard
Margarito should take this fight. Cintron did well the first 3 rounds against him, keeping him ata a distance with his punches. I see Cintron throwing combinations in an effort to keep Margarito away from him. The problem is that if Feliciano can get on the inside against CIntron then Margarito can too, plus he punches harder and has bettern in-fighting skills.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I feel Cintron will do well in the first couple rounds, utitlizing his jab and keeping distance. He'll even land some really hard shots in those rounds, but the pressure will get to him. Cintron can't deal with somebody putting a lot of pressure on him. Just look at the Feliciano fight. Cintron nearly took him out in the first, but Feliciano kept coming. Cintron couldnt keep him off, and nearly lost the fight. If he couldn't keep Feliciano off, how does he expect to keep one of the stongest welterweights out there off of him. Cintron may do well early, but he will get ko'd in the middle or late rounds.
salvador
Every bit of logic says Margarito takes it decisively, probably by mid rounds ko. The only thing is that it seems odd that Cintron would be taking Margarito now. Certainly Cintron could have held out for the winner of Mosley-Judah or even the winner of Williams-Quintana. But he's fighting Margarito instead. Maybe Cintron really believes he can win for some reason. I just can't imagine what that reason would be.

Obviously Arum wants the fight and he's using it to help sell the Cotto fight and is probably paying Cintron more than he's ever made before, but it just seems that he's got easier paydays out there.

I'm picking Margarito, but I think this will be a much better fight than the first one. Look for a very bloody Cintron to get carried out on his shield and regain the respect he lost in the first fight.
STEVENSKI
I get the feeling that this one will end up in tears. Just a feeling of course.
Tha Docta
cintrons last fight convinced me that margarito will certainly kill him again. think cintron faced a contender guy that couldnt punch at all and he was still bothered by the pressure. i just dont see how he can win this fight.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Apr 3 2008, 08:45 PM) [snapback]384961[/snapback]
cintrons last fight convinced me that margarito will certainly kill him again. think cintron faced a contender guy that couldnt punch at all and he was still bothered by the pressure. i just dont see how he can win this fight.

I completely agree. Feliciano doesn't know what a punch is; the dude was swatting flies all night yet those swats were enough to seriously bother Cintron.

The Original MrFactor
I fully expect this one to be very similar to their last encounter, crying and all. I also expect that when Cintron gets in trouble, he will foul. He was on the cusp of fouling last time when he got in trouble. I also dont think Cintron was all that hurt in their last fight I think it was a situation where he was getting smothered and hit and couldnt get off. Frustration set in and he started to grab and tussle instead of fight. Is he all that different now?? Dont think so. Tony Margarito by late stoppage or wide UD.Wouldnt count out a DQ either...
kidbazooka1
I think Cintron has improved since his loss to Margarito but I just can't see him beating Antonio. Cintron will make it a more competitive fight but with the same result.

Margarito by KO late in the fight.
Imperius3
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Apr 4 2008, 12:48 AM) [snapback]384988[/snapback]
I think Cintron has improved since his loss to Margarito but I just can't see him beating Antonio. Cintron will make it a more competitive fight but with the same result.

Margarito by KO late in the fight.

I pretty much agree here. Cintron has a chance for the upset, but I see him collapsing under Margarito's pressure.

Margarito TKO 8
Jack 1000
My Pick:

Margarito TKO 8:

The same type of result against Cintron as the first fight, only longer. The match will be a bit more competitive early. But there is a certain mental breakdown that when it happens to a fighter, it is very difficult for him to reclaim what he was before the breakdown. Physically losing a match that is competitive is one thing. Mentally breaking down and crying ,when faced with a fighter whom you know broke you in half in more ways than one the first time, is something totally different. 70% says, you can't recover from that.

I will give Kermit a 30% chance to win within the first 4 rounds, because of his punching power. If Margarito walks into something that is the only way that Cintron wins. This task is not impossible, but it is highly unlikely. The first fight showed us that Margarito under pressure is the proven, more confident fighter. Cintron's walking right back into the cannon that nearly killed him the first time. It's hard to see how this result could be any different.

Jack
thefloatingmonkey
I am shootin for Cintron to win. Definitely the underdog, but if he stays behind his jab and keeps his guard up, he has a chance. And of course he always has a punchers chance, just because of his power. Regardless looking forward to this one.
rusty_trombone
Cintron is going to put the whole island of puerto rico, and the whole borough of the bronx on his back and knock this man out. we are going to see my man kermit "the killer frog" cintron perform like a god for this fight. he will finish what paul williams started. god i hate margarito.
BrutalBodyShots
For those of you that say "Cintron has improved since the first time he fought Margarito" - you guys DID see the Feliciano fight right? You are only as good as your last fight, and Cintron looked like SHIT in his last fight.

Sometimes you can chalk those things up to "styles make fights" but Feliciano and Margarito actually have a similar style... it's just that Margarito is MUCH better at it.

moscow bear
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 6 2008, 04:06 PM) [snapback]385259[/snapback]
For those of you that say "Cintron has improved since the first time he fought Margarito" - you guys DID see the Feliciano fight right? You are only as good as your last fight, and Cintron looked like SHIT in his last fight.

Sometimes you can chalk those things up to "styles make fights" but Feliciano and Margarito actually have a similar style... it's just that Margarito is MUCH better at it.

exactly brutal.... i think this fight will be longer than the first but Margie will stop him inside 10.
thefloatingmonkey
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 6 2008, 09:06 AM) [snapback]385259[/snapback]

Didn't Cintron break his right hand in the first round of the Feliciano fight?
JD
QUOTE(thefloatingmonkey @ Apr 6 2008, 12:53 PM) [snapback]385263[/snapback]

It's kind of a big mystery what happened.

That said, Margarito by mid round beatdown.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(thefloatingmonkey @ Apr 6 2008, 12:53 PM) [snapback]385263[/snapback]

Well, Cintron was throwing huge right hands with conviction the entire fight so I would say probably not. Even if he did, the fact that he was ABLE to still throw huge right hands with conviction means that it was a non-factor. Cintron probably broke or injured his hand during the final 14 unanswered, clean punches he landed on Feliciano in the closing rally where the fight was stopped.

EpTXCHAMP
in this battle of the most over rated welters im picking margs via SD.
Cintron hasnt shown be GREAT improvment since his last fight with Margs he;ll make it through the 12 but I dont see him winning
The CEO
Right now...DLH-Mayweather II is at +225 and -285 respectively...Cintron-Margarito II is at +210 and -270....

So in other words....the oddsmakers are saying that the odds of Cintron beating Margarito are BETTER than the chance Oscar has of getting the win over Floyd....

and that's FUCKED up....lol....I swear....I hate the old Margarito fans....but if I were wealthy...I would bet $27k on Margarito and win that easy 10 grand....

I won't even touch Oscar-Floyd II....there's too much going on behind the scenes. What the Hell are the oddsmakers thinking?...trying to make The Rich richer I guess...
D-MARV
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 6 2008, 12:06 PM) [snapback]385259[/snapback]

True! But let's respect the fact that Cintron tore some legiments in his right hand sometime earlier in the fight. (First round if im not mistaking)
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 7 2008, 06:26 PM) [snapback]385354[/snapback]
True! But let's respect the fact that Cintron tore some legiments in his right hand sometime earlier in the fight. (First round if im not mistaking)

It was a non-factor if that's the case. See my post above.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 6 2008, 07:00 PM) [snapback]385279[/snapback]
and that's FUCKED up....lol....I swear....I hate the old Margarito fans....but if I were wealthy...I would bet $27k on Margarito and win that easy 10 grand....

c'mon ceo, you gotta keep the faith. i might actually step foot inside some sort of church or mosque or wherever the scientologists go and pray for cintron, but that would probably lessen his chances.
The CEO
laugh.gif...I had a sneaky suspiscion you weren't the religious type...

I'm thinking Cintron has a 10-15% chance of winning this one.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 7 2008, 11:00 PM) [snapback]385380[/snapback]
laugh.gif...I had a sneaky suspiscion you weren't the religious type...

I'm thinking Cintron has a 10-15% chance of winning this one.

me & jesus are drinks.gif
The CEO
You even put yourself first...lol...y'all might be drinking buddies...but you don't care for or respect him that much...laugh.gif

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 8 2008, 10:47 AM) [snapback]385425[/snapback]
You even put yourself first...lol...y'all might be drinking buddies...but you don't care for or respect him that much...laugh.gif

it's not that i don't respect him, just the morons that surround him
Elijah
"Even when it became clear that Cintron had suffered a serious injury to his right hand in his title defense against Feliciano, Cintron received criticism rather than credit for fighting hurt. "No matter what you do there's always someone criticizing you," he says.
Cintron suffered severe ligament damage to his right hand in the first round of his contest against Feliciano but despite the intense pain, he battled on before stopping his granite-chinned opponent with a two-fisted barrage at the 1:53 mark of the tenth round."

I don't care who he was fighting if that really happened dude deserves credit for continuing to fight that night.

I'm picking Cintron by SD. He needs to keep Margarito on the end of his punches and throw lots of them.

Mixnutz
I think this fight is going to be a lot closer then their first go round. Still as much as Cintron has improved, I cannot see him getting by Margarito. I don't see a stoppage but Margarito wins by a wide margin.
mexboxing
Cintron wont and cant handle the pressure!!! If he couldn't keep that lil Feliciano dude off of him what makes him think, he can keep Tony off.. Cintron's power is over-rated IMO. He will end up crying once again, Tony by 7-8 rd KO
hardhead
I'm going with Margarito still, even though I could see Cintron fighting better this time around, the last time he got WHOOPED so it won't be hard to improve on that. I'm not so sure HOW much he has improved though, from all the reports I read he was getting beat up pretty good against the always tough, fringe contender Feliciano until he landed that big KO punch. I think his best shot is to try take Margarito out early by jumping on him right and catching him cold because Margarito is the type of fighter that usually starts out slow but finishes very strong. I just don't see him winning the fight down the stretch, if he does hats off to him but I also think Margarito is just a higher level of fighter then Cintron. I also believe in mental edges and I think Margarito still has thatg mental edge from the first fight, if Cintron can come out and maybe get an early KD or somethinbg maybe, but I don't see that happening..
salvador
Anyone check out the weigh in? Fucking hysterical!!!!!!!!

After the stare down, Cintron put his hand to his own throat and cut it as if to say that Margarito was a dead man. Margarito looked back at him and rubbed his eyes as if he was crying. How in the hell can anyone NOT love Marg?

And one other thing, it's not just the pressure that Cintron can't handle, it's the body shots. Obviously Cintron needs more time than most to set up his big right hand and Marg won't give it to him, but after rewatching the first fight I really think it was the body shots that did him in. I think Cintron is going to move a hell of a lot more tonight. Whether or not that will help is another matter.
Mean Mister Mustard
Manny will have Cintron throwing one-two's and then holding on for dear life.
Method
Cintron vs. Margarito - Give me Margarito by TKO or clear UD. I am of the opinion that you never shake the kind of of a$$ whupping that Margarito laid on Cintron the first time...it only happens in movies like the Karate Kid, with a trainer like Miyagi. Well, friends, I'm gonna go ahead and say what intelligent hard-core boxing fans all over the web have been cordially discussing behind the scenes for a couple of years now - Emmanuel Stewart is one of the most overrated trainers in the game today. Let me repeat: EMMANUEL STEWART IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED TRAINERS IN THE GAME TODAY. Wow! Didn't that feel good? Glad to finally get that off my chest. It's like the cartoon where Yosemite Sam gets his thumb drilled with a hammer, and has to run out of town so he can scream it at the top of his lungs (c'mon, you have all seen it). I mean, enough with the whistling past the graveyard. We don't work for HBO. We don't have to tow the company line. This guy is overrated. Apologies go out to Doug Fisher, whose boxing insight and opinions I respect (and mostly agree with), and who recently handed it to one of his mail bag readers who was a little too critical of Motor City Mechanic. I am not saying Manny sucks as a trainer. I am saying he's not as good as he gets credit for, and I personally find it offensive how quick he is to dismiss any responsibility for any of his fighters' performances (but I'll save that for another discussion). I enjoy watching Kermit Cintron. He's going to be better than most of the guys he comes up against, and, let's face it, it's fun to watch the guy connect on a fully extended punch, because he can crack. That said, I believe that Antonio Margarito is on another level, and, hopefully, on a mission to prove himself worthy of some of the lofty credit a lot fight fans give him. Margarito is too tough. Too strong. Too seasoned. If Cintron can go the distance with Margarito, he'll consider that a psychological victory much like Roy Jones was all gitty about in his rubber match with Tarver. Unlike Tarver in that rubber match though, Margarito is a finely conditioned athlete, and Cintron is without his past conditioners. I think Margarito stops him or clearly UD's him.

Gomez vs. Cotto - Give me Miguel Cotto in a UD (call it 8-4, likely 9-3 or body shot stoppage). I think Gomez will be game, and show some flashes of real competitiveness, but ultimately Cotto will impose his will and his skill. Theoretically this is a fight that should have never been made, but I believe Gomez will leave us saying, "you know, it really wasn't as bad a match up as I thought it was going to be". I personally haven't been paying too much attention to what's been going on in Cotto's camp, but hopefully he's maintained focus and has actually trained to win this one as easily as he's expected to, because I wouldn't close the door on him having to dig down, otherwise.

Woods vs. Tarver - I'll take Antonio Tarver via Competitive UD (7-5, but I don't discount Tarver stopping Woods with something he doesn't see coming somewhere in the mid to later rounds). Personally, I have never been that high on Woods (not that I am accusing any of my US contemporaries of that very crime). It's just tough to get behind the story of a recovering alcoholic who picked up boxing to get rid of the beer belly. That should be MY story...NOT the story of a legit light heavyweight champion. Kidding aside (I wasn't kidding about never being that high on Woods), I know Woods is both game and busy, but it looks to me as if Antonio Tarver is in shape for this one, and has a chip on both shoulders. He's looked less than impressive in his last two outings, and at the ripe old age of 39, I think he realizes that from this point forward he is on borrowed time, and need$ to make every $second count (note the dollar signs). He loses here, for all intents and purposes, he can throw a retirement party for one. Woods and Johnson went back and forth for a few fights, so I expect this one to be competitive, but, I think Tarver edges the game Woods out, and it would not surprise me to see Tarver catch Woods with some kind of counter to end it inside the distance. Wouldn't bank on the stoppage, but wouldn't be surprised.

Dawson vs. Johnson - Look, I'm excited about the fact that my peers, the one's whose opinions I respect, are excited about Bad Chad. I'm sure my man George (yeah, YOU, BigGeorge) is throwing darts trying to decide which Dawson picture to use as his Sunday morning avatar. I think Chad Dawson has a future ahead of him, but I think this is a stiffer test than most realize. Chad looks to be the deal, but Glen Johnson is a tough, gritty SOB. I'm gonna go against the grain here and pick Johnson by UD, or, even go further out on that limb limb *sound of cracking branch* and cite the possibility of Dawson being stopped late. Glenn is a work horse in the gym. Like Tarver, this is Glen's last stand. He loses this one, he two can throw a retirement party for one (he and Tarver both lose they could make it a dinner date). This is Chad Dawson's test. Glenn Johnson has been in there with some of the best, and he's hung tough and even beaten some of the best. Dawson's been down. I see Glen digging in and winning a competitive 7-5 UD, taking some heavy fire in the process. If Chad gasses down the stretch, I think you might see Glenn come on late, either sealing the deal for him or causing the ref to stop it.

A Parlay to consider: Being a probability/number's guy by trade, I'm not big on parlays (given the odds of it all). That said, there are certain circumstances that call for taking the other side of a situation where the chips appear to be stacked against you, especially if it doesn't require too much of a risk. Consider the following 4 fight parlay: Taking Margarito, Cotto, Tarver and Johnson (yes, JOHNSON) pays about 9-1. It's really not outlandish to think that Johnson could out point Bad Chad, and laying $100 to take in $919, or $50 to win ~$460 is not that much of a out lay for a nice little payoff if it hits.

Enjoy the fights, gentlemen.

JB
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 13 2008, 03:17 AM) [snapback]385995[/snapback]
I'm not singling anyone out, but I really can't see any of the logic for anyone that picked Cintron. Just based on the first fight was enough to know that you will never pick Cintron to beat Margarito, ever. I would actually think picking Margarito over Mayweather or RJJ to beat Dawson or something would be a smarter pick. I just feel that everything was so obvious just by watching the first fight.

Yup. This was probably the easiest fight all year to pick so far. Not just the winner, but HOW the fight would end.

Tha Docta
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 13 2008, 11:05 AM) [snapback]386064[/snapback]
Yup. This was probably the easiest fight all year to pick so far. Not just the winner, but HOW the fight would end.

i agree. i give cintron credit, he was a little tougher this time. but all it did was make him take more punishment. thats the difference between a guy that picks up boxing late and guy that has been fighting his whole life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.