Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monkey Business
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
dj necrogenic
Hype you need to come out with some Fighthype T-shirts so I can throw my boxingtalk ones away
Byrd Man
have a logo of a monkey taking a dump on a boxingtalk shirt!

ha ha ha
someoneswitness
QUOTE(thehype @ May 7 2008, 03:00 PM) [snapback]388798[/snapback]
Yeah, they also don't go on Ring Magazine to sling dirt back and forth at each other...or beg for fights...or ask the fans to "do their part".

laugh.gif

Ring Magazine also has far more than a couple hundred people buying it each month. And it's more expensive... 9 bucks. Too much for me, really, in a sport that is so Net-based in its coverage.
AKay
QUOTE(Fitz @ May 7 2008, 10:02 AM) [snapback]388780[/snapback]
Akay. Do you still speak or see Barksdale? Off memory, yous 2 were pretty close.

yeah i still talk to him all the time, we just never discuss btalk vs fighthype stuff always boxing and personal stuff.
Thats my boy for life and I always told him to just stay posting here.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(AKay @ May 7 2008, 07:48 PM) [snapback]388819[/snapback]
yeah i still talk to him all the time, we just never discuss btalk vs fighthype stuff always boxing and personal stuff.

i already e-mailed that jew he should start posting here again, you should tell him to stop being such a jew and come back.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(AKay @ May 7 2008, 04:48 PM) [snapback]388819[/snapback]

I just talked to him the other day, he's still cool in my book. I always got along with him
MarzB
As someone said in the Inspector Gadget voice, "WOWSERZ",lol.

I've been around a while. It was funny reading Jack's take on Jermain because I remember him. Anyways, while there is always two sides to every story, Greg is pretty much getting his ass handed here. I never knew the origin of "MONKEYs" and Hype's gorilla and I see the connection now. One of those emails was very similar to how I got to know Hype (billing dispute) and he was very attentive with the amtter.

I can totally see why and he's slaying this dude and Greg if you're reading this, theres no coming back from this one. Its not just some one sided things either, you have multiple parties saying the same thing.

What was VERY intriguing was the Bobby Bostick, Cory Spinks thing. WOW!!! I vividly recall that going down and wondered what "really" went down where Spinks went back with King. Funny as Hype described now he's a man without a belt, generally not well received in the boxing community, without a trainer and without a fight and the guy who supposedly set this all up is with the guy that beat him. Unreal friggin real.

Great post by the guy who mentioned that about MAB's manager not wanting an interview relegated to a PRIVATE area.

Hype, man you need to get those T-SHIRTS poppin because at the end of the day the righteous one stand tall. I'd love to support you in some way (fiscally). Way to persevere through all the bullschit.
rusty_trombone
yeah, i wouldn't mind a fh shirt
MarzB
Heres a cool link that you can see how sites once looked in the past. I thought it'd fit this thread since the other site was mentioned.

You can definitely see the improvements.

http://www.archive.org/index.php
someoneswitness
Leon's either delusional, stupid or just thinks people are dumb. Probably a combination of the three.

Read today (Tuesday's) mailbag where a journalist calls him out on the idea of conflicts of interest. Leon responds back about not thinking of himself as a journalist.

Preaching to the choir here, but...

Whether he's doing mailbags and interviews and not articles doesn't make a difference. As the publisher and the person who presumably runs the site, his business interests should in no way overlap with what is covered on his site.

I'm a journalist, too. If the owners of any of the outlets I write for had any affiliation with another business -- and if there was a tangible increase in coverage of said outside interest on the news side -- there would be an immediate loss of credibility.

Leon seems to place blame on Julio for his not appearing on BT. Did he never try to put in the legwork to set up an interview? That would, after all, be the rational thing to do.

Promoters and boxers should cut ties with BT. But they won't, not when the business needs to reach whatever audience it can.
Byrd Man
Hey Greg, I'm a first-time mailbagger, but a long time vistor of your sight. I've always respected the sight and enjoyed the articles and the interviews, but I see a real problem brewing with your new role as an advisor to fighters. I myself and am a fellow journalist based out of Seattle, and both you and I know that the only reason readers view our work is because we have nothing to sell but our credibility. When you begin having business agreements with sources it becomes a serious conflict of interest for readers. It's hard for them to trust you. Case in point, Ishe Smith. Before his fight with Joel Julio, we saw articles about Ishe. After the fight we saw an interview with him followed by another article featuring, you guessed it, Ishe. Boxingtalk didn't post anything on Julio after the fight even though he won. My point is that you now have a vested interest in seeing Ishe Smith win. It's a serious breach of trust for your readers. I don't know whether you're trying to keep Ishe Smith in the spotlight for the sake of yourself or simply because of your friendship with him, but from an observer's standpoint it looks bad. Journalist should always be objective and not pick favorites. It's a slippery slope you're climbing. With that said, I've always enjoyed the sight and your work and wish nothing but the best for you and Ishe, but just felt that you needed to hear this from a fellow member of the media. Respectfully yours, Michael

Leon's Response: See the thing of it is this, I don't consider myself a journalist. I've paid journalists to write for the site, but have never paid any journalist or requested of any journalist to pen something to fit any agenda that I might have as an advisor to several fighters. I interview fighters and ask them questions, and then answer boxing fans questions in this mailbag. I don't write any opinionated pieces anymore, and believe me there's been times I've wanted to, but my man, I consider myself a businessman more than anything else. Fortunately for me, the fighters obviously have a high level of respect for me, and the vast majority of the promoters in boxing have no problem doing business with me. Ishe Smith has been a fixture on Boxingtalk for over five years my man. I haven't seen one Joel Julio interview on the site in those five years, so to act as though your shining a spotlight on something, to me it's more like a flashlight in a well lit room. If Joel Julio wants on Boxingtalk, all his people have to do is shoot me an email and he'll get interviewed as often as Ishe did. Boxingtalk features fighters we have access to, if we have no way to get in touch with a guy, there's no way to get him on the site. Comprende?

smh at all this. First of all, dude who wrote in is a "journalist" and yet he can't tell the difference between "site" and "sight"?

secondly, the bolded parts just highlight some funny moments for me. lol
thehype
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ May 13 2008, 05:29 AM) [snapback]389284[/snapback]
I've paid journalists to write for the site, but have never paid any journalist or requested of any journalist to pen something to fit any agenda that I might have as an advisor to several fighters.

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone here, but for those in the industry who are secretly following along (you know who you are so feel free to hit me up if you want some juicy details that might involve you), let me just enlighten you...

I know for a FACT that that particular statement is a lie...well, assuming you consider Darren Nichols to be a journalist. I mean, if he's "never paid any journalist or requested of any journalist to pen something to fit any agenda," then why in the hell would Darren Nichols be doing so many interviews and articles on leon's fighters:

5/05/08 - Ishe Smith - More Than Just a Contender, By Darren Nichols
4/11/08 - Monte Barrett: Tye Fields will be my third early KO in a row, By Darren Nichols
4/07/08 - Adrian Mora First Fight of '08 Spells Danger for Opponent, By Darren Nichols
4/04/08 - Verno Phillips Wants Vernon Forrest to Prove Greatness, By Darren Nichols
3/19/08 - Tarvis Simms Wants to Get "Mean" With Joe Greene, By Darren Nichols
3/05/08 - Derrick "Smoke" Gainer Training with Roy Jones, By Darren Nichols
3/04/08 - Ishe Smith Out to Dominate Joel Julio on April 30th, by Darren Nichols
3/03/08 - Monte Barrett: Arreola, Witherspoon, Povetkin, whoever!, By Darren Nichols
3/03/08 - Tarvis Simms Ready for Any Top Ten Fighter, By Darren Nichols

Ishe Smith, Monte Barrett, Adrian Mora, Verno Phillips, Tarvis Simms, Derrick Gainer...all fighters who are "advised" by leon. I mean...come on...who is he kidding? BEFORE leon started advising them, you'd never see Darren doing interviews with those guys, but now, those names make up the majority of his interviews.

And just look at some of the titles:

"Tarvis Simms Ready for Any Top Ten Fighter"
"Monte Barrett: Arreola, Witherspoon, Povetkin, whoever!"
"Verno Phillips Wants Vernon Forrest to Prove Greatness"

I mean, it should be pretty obvious that his "agenda" was to have those guys do an interview and call out certain fighters in hopes of getting one of them to bite. Obviously, leon couldn't do the interviews himself so he called Darren and asked...no wait...I mean TOLD Darren to do them. I know for a FACT that he called Darren and told him to do an interview with Monte Barrett because Darren called me and told me about it...no wait...I mean Darren called me and BITCHED about it....basically said Greg was blowing up his phone trying to get him to do an interview with Barrett that he didn't want to do...even joked about putting it off as long as possible despite the fact that he did it anyway (sorry to put you out there like that Darren, but fuck it...you know you don't like the guy anyway and, quite frankly, if I hadn't left to free up some extra money that he could pay you with, you probably would have been gone a long time ago too...but anywho....).

Or how about the "PRESS RELEASE" where Ishe Smith took a shot at Judah for not going through with the Mosley fight? Press release? I don't recall seeing that press release on any other website other than btalk. In fact, other than Ishe, I don't recall any other fighter releasing a statement as to whether or not they would have gone through with the fight. It should be clear that the "press release" was put out simply to get Zab to bite...and bite he did.

Now you got Winky Wright calling him to talk about fighting Verno Phillips. I'm 100% sure that if Darren Nichols didn't just have a baby, then we probably would have seen a response from Verno Phillips by now.

It's really pathetic...just pathetic.
AKay
OUCH!
GMontoya
QUOTE(someoneswitness @ May 13 2008, 12:31 AM) [snapback]389283[/snapback]
Leon's either delusional, stupid or just thinks people are dumb. Probably a combination of the three.

Read today (Tuesday's) mailbag where a journalist calls him out on the idea of conflicts of interest. Leon responds back about not thinking of himself as a journalist.

Preaching to the choir here, but...

Whether he's doing mailbags and interviews and not articles doesn't make a difference. As the publisher and the person who presumably runs the site, his business interests should in no way overlap with what is covered on his site.

I'm a journalist, too. If the owners of any of the outlets I write for had any affiliation with another business -- and if there was a tangible increase in coverage of said outside interest on the news side -- there would be an immediate loss of credibility.

Leon seems to place blame on Julio for his not appearing on BT. Did he never try to put in the legwork to set up an interview? That would, after all, be the rational thing to do.

Promoters and boxers should cut ties with BT. But they won't, not when the business needs to reach whatever audience it can.

Leon's excuse for lack of objectivity (I'm a businessman) sounds a lot like Floyd's excuse for not taking on real challenges.
KookedKrack
damn there doing some shady shit over there..

and shane's wife is hot true story
Byrd Man
Notice the subtle proof that us monkeys are always on their minds? Typo? I think NOT! laugh.gif

buford54
Hah! I didn't even catch that this morning.
thehype
LOL @ "living up to his 'Baby Tito' monkier"

Okay...so let me see if I understand this correctly....the quartet is MANAGED by Kelly Richardson, who owns GYMU Boxing, and ADVISED by leon...and the two of them are basically asking for any interested promoters to contact leon to set something up.

laugh.gif

I'm sorry, but I just have to chuckle at that. I feel really bad for that quartet of New York fighters if they're paying a manager AND an advisor to put a request up on a website to get them fights.

For those that don't know, GYMU stands for "Get Your Money Up". You can view their MySpace page here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=289663738

They also have a website here:

http://www.gymu.com/

Unfortunately, you won't be able to access their website because they require you to pay 43 cents a month or $5 a year to enter it.

There...that's about the extent of the promotion I can do for those guys.
Byrd Man
Hype you see they wanna be us, right? I mean out of all the Typos they coulda made, they made THAT typo? I think it's a sign of self loathing and jealousy of us.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. lol
sweetchuck
So a percentage to a manager, a percentage to an advisor and if they sign with a promoter that doesn't promote the card they fight on, a percentage to a promoter, I wonder if the fighter will leave with more than 35% of their purse once GYMU and Leon are done with them. Can you saw SCAM?
Method
Thing is, if any of these guys sign with a promoter, and they get up front money (maybe mid to high 5-fig or low six fig - likme $100K), then everybody makes out. The fighters, who are basically prospects and wouldn't otherwise be getting any money up front get paid, the advisor would get his 5-10%, and the manager would maybe get their %. Not really that big of a rip off for the fighter, because those are expenses that are tax write offs for them, and, they would potentially be getting their hands on up front income that they wouldn't secure any where else. What's more, any big league promotor, that might be too bogged down with bigger ticket issues, has someone bringing these prospects to light, whereas they might otherwise slip through cracks or into the hands of rival promotors.

Now obviously what I laid out, as it pertains to potential upfront income for some of these guys, is purely hypothetical, and probably unlikely, but you never know.

The CEO
You just can't trust an outfit called "Get Yo Money Up"....sounds like a run down, 600 square foot building on MLK that hustles the families of wannabe rappers....
sweetchuck
If it were someone like Hylon Williams, they might be getting up front offers like you mentioned, but if a promoter is going to pull out his checkbook for a fighter with figures that are more than a lot world champions are making, then they have already heard of them and don't need a crooked advisor telling them. Additionally, a real manager, say like Cameron Dunkin, would not put it out there on a website like hey, if you're interested email me. A real manager/advisor like Dunkin can call up Gary Shaw or Bob Arum and say hey I have this prospect you might be interested in give me a call. Difference? When you can call a promoter and know they're going to take care of your fighter, then you're worth whatever money you have made...When you have to put it out in a public forum like, "Please Mr. Promoter, contact me and take care of my fighter," you're not worth the money you're taking from the fighter.

Anyways, big upfront money isn't as common as one might think. Unless you have already accomplished something, don't expect a big signing bonus. A lot of promoters will have a contract with a fighter where they are taking care of living expenses and a stipend to live on.

For instance a couple prospects I know have their promoters paying for rent, a car to use, food, paid trainers, paid college tuition and a weekly stipend so they have spending money. In all, I think the promoters are spending like $40k a year on them (since the fighters live together it's a little cheaper on the promoters). It's a sweeter deal for all because they don't have to pay taxes on a big bonus, they can fight and train full time and they don't have to worry about any daily expenses. For the promoter they are paying $120,000 for the three year contract and they don't have to worry about giving their young prospects all this money up front for them go out and party and blow the money in a few months and then have nothing left and have to get a job and not be focused like they were supposed to. A manager or advisor would do that for a fighter because once the fighter gets to the top level they will make their percentage of the big purses.

Anyway, that was off point. My point to where it is a scam is if you have a guy like Leon taking his 10% plus expecting his reimbursement for long distance calls (aren't most companies on a flat rate now? and cell phones have free long distance as well), travel among other stuff. I can actually see Leon telling the young fighters, you fought for $800 so I want my $80 plus I made 7 calls for this fight so you owe me $83.78. That's why I said SCAM!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Hi Hype,

One thing I'm curious about is the advertising fees G charges for on his site.

How does he come up with the prices? And also does he have to prove the amount of traffic his site is generating to the advertisers or do they just take him at his word?
thehype
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ May 27 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]390747[/snapback]
Hi Hype,

One thing I'm curious about is the advertising fees G charges for on his site.

How does he come up with the prices? And also does he have to prove the amount of traffic his site is generating to the advertisers or do they just take him at his word?

Funny you should ask...

Hmmmmm...Banner Promotions, Top Rank, Dibella, Golden Boy Promotions, Shelly Finkel, Showtime, Star Boxing...well, it looks like I can tell you how much those guys were invoiced for 2006. LOL.

Prices were different for different advertisers. Care to guess who paid the most? LOL.

As for the amount of traffic, they just take him at his word...and his word ain't worth shit because he's a liar. In fact....

"sounds like we're going to be adding two zeroes to all of those numbers and still lie by saying the page hits are in the millions"

There you go...an admitted liar.

I honestly don't understand why ANYONE...promoters, managers or fighters...would want to do any type of business with him.
Spyder
Well if you're a good talker, and have ANY kind of buisness knowledge, then I guess you can talk most people into believing what you say...that is except for the gangsta street smart guys like DK who are hustlers themselves.

For the record...I thought he looked and sounded like a douche on Steven A Smith's show, so I don't know why anyone is buying his shit...but I guess different strokes.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Another classic pounding from Hype,

As I've said before put it on pay-per-view pal. I'm getting so excited watching this whooping I think I'm gonna start making all those crazy sound effects zab's dad does during his fights.

So lets get this straight.

Firstly I put together a website (get some minions to run it for me LOL), hang around a few fights with a tape recorder, chuck out my current wardrobe in favour of some more 'urban' steetwear, then tell a few promotion companies that my hits are going through the roof and I can then get credentials for a fight?

Mmmmmm nice, fucking nice.
BigJuicyHog
Lol I just read this whole thread from beginning to end...AWESOME. Cant wait to hear some more dirt. Also, I always thought the Leon was black. I always pictured him as a dorky black dude with classes trying to act all gangster.
thehype
QUOTE(Spyder @ May 29 2008, 12:14 AM) [snapback]390799[/snapback]
For the record...I thought he looked and sounded like a douche on Steven A Smith's show, so I don't know why anyone is buying his shit...but I guess different strokes.

LOL. Speaking of his appearance on the Stephen A. Smith show...

I know leon is big on reminding the people who "grind" for him that they would be NOBODY if it wasn't for him. That being said, if you ever wondered how he got on the show in the first place....

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Greg Leon'
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 11:42 PM
Subject: Should we post on front page?

Hello-

My name is Brian Dunphy and I am an audience producer for ESPN2's show Quite
Frankly with Stephen A. Smith.

The reason that I am contacting you is that we have just been notified that
World Welterweight Champion Boxer Oscar de la Hoya, and controversial boxing
promoter Don King will be appearing LIVE in studio on Thursday, March 2 at
3:30pm.

We would like to extend to you and your website FREE tickets to attend the show.
It would definitely be a great opportunity for some of your forum members to get
together and meet up for an exciting sports show. The tickets are open to your
all interested members, family members, or even friends.

Our studio is located in the heart of New York City right across the street from
Madison Square Gardens. Again the show date is Thursday, March 2 at 3:30 pm with
a 2:00 pm check-in.

If you or any of your members are interested in attending the show, please call
me back at xxx-xxx-xxxx and ask for Brian. You can also email us at
xxxxxxxx@espn.com

In addition, please feel free to post this information on your website to offer
to all Oscar de la Hoya fans located in the New York or tri-state area.

Thank you.

Brian Dunphy
Associate Audience Producer
xxx-xxx-xxxx
xxxxxxx@espn.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Leon [vze2bxtt@verizon.net]Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:49 AM
To: betii@fuse.net
Subject: Re: Should we post on front page?

relegate it to the message board.....you should tell the dude G. Leon would love
to be the third guest on the panel
, especially on his
birthday...wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

GL: "Good lookin' out my nigga"

BT: "No problem"

rolleyes_anim.gif
AKay
lol Avon and me went to that show too.
Thats the one where off line and off the record DLH told Stephen A that he would fight floyd at 154 and that Floyd doesnt know it yet.
Method
I don't recall tickets ever being offered to the fourm. Were they?
stateofthegame
I never remember it being offered either. I do remember being e-mailed a thing to be an extra in Rocky Balboa if you were in Vegas at the time of the figth shooting.
Vodoo
QUOTE(thehype @ May 28 2008, 09:08 PM) [snapback]390796[/snapback]
Funny you should ask...

Hmmmmm...Banner Promotions, Top Rank, Dibella, Golden Boy Promotions, Shelly Finkel, Showtime, Star Boxing...well, it looks like I can tell you how much those guys were invoiced for 2006. LOL.

Prices were different for different advertisers. Care to guess who paid the most? LOL.

As for the amount of traffic, they just take him at his word...and his word ain't worth shit because he's a liar. In fact....

"sounds like we're going to be adding two zeroes to all of those numbers and still lie by saying the page hits are in the millions"

There you go...an admitted liar.

I honestly don't understand why ANYONE...promoters, managers or fighters...would want to do any type of business with him.
See I like when you copy & paste the blurry emails like that because sometimes they're hard to read. I hope you can do that more often. By the way thanks for spreading the dirt on all this. We appreciate it. For several years I'd always noticed on the message boards I attended that the guys who knew G.Leon hated him and hated his website and I never understood why until now.
thehype
QUOTE(Vodoo @ May 30 2008, 06:41 PM) [snapback]390933[/snapback]
See I like when you copy & paste the blurry emails like that because sometimes they're hard to read. I hope you can do that more often.

The "blurry emails" are images that are automatically reduced in order to fit the screen. There should be a big black bar above them that you can click that will automatically enlarge them so you can view the full size image of the email. The full size images are not blurry.
MarzB
Hey Hype.

Couple questions regarding the same subject. There was a point in time when 'Nard was coming to BTalk frequently and then it stopped. I believe it was due to Greg posting the entire deposition between he and King.

First off do you still have a copy of that deposition (that was an extremely entertaining and long read that I didn't save)? Secondly what was the beef there if there was any.

Method
I read the entire deposition. It was a legal, objective document, and upon reading, I concluded that there was a big chance that Don King was not going to win the lawsuit (anyone with a brain who bothered to read the document would have concluded the same). King, on the otherhand, kept talking about how he was going to win his lawsuit, and how Hopkins "ran" from a Trinidad rematch (I mean, come the fuck on). I remember Greg posting the deposition, and throwing those attention grabbing headlines up there like "Things not looking good for Hopkins", and/or things along those lines, when, clearly the context of the deposition told a whole different story.

Bottom line is that King did NOT win that arbitration, and was awarded 100% of ZERO dollars.

I believe Hopkins was bent about the bullshit headlines. But in no way am I suggesting that was the sole cataslyst behind any temporary falling out there may have been.

Bottom line is Hopkins is street. He's a hustler, whether he grimey and broke or paid up and sporting a tie. Greg and he both use each other for their own benefit. It's a relationship that works. Not a knock on Hopkins or Greg. They both get something out of it.
someoneswitness
Ishe taking over the mailbag. The world yawning.
dj necrogenic
Someone should ask Ishe in his mailbag if he feels that having a mailbag on Boxingtalk is worth his 10% advisor fee
Bhopreign
I remember a while back when Leon was doing an interview with Hop in a hotel suite and Hop started off by saying to Leon, yeah I know how you do, I know how you do, I could sense something wasnt right between the two, but Ive also heard Floyd start an interview saying I know how you do G, that let me know before I knew all this other stuff that something wasnt right with perhaps some of his doings. Leon just continued the interviews as if he didnt hear them say that.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Jun 2 2008, 04:12 PM) [snapback]391197[/snapback]
Someone should ask Ishe in his mailbag if he feels that having a mailbag on Boxingtalk is worth his 10% advisor fee

yeah, but what's 10% of the next to nothing he makes
MarzB
Oh my fukin god. I'll post it here. Shay's hosting the mailbag and I've yet to read his response. But it was stated here how ol Greg Leon often refashions interviews if you will. Anyways, theres a letter in the mailbag thats VERY LONG regarding Ishe. How ironic NONE of it is critical regarding him and while even I personally like some aspects of Ishe's style, the letter is longer than his career,lol.

Seriously though, while reading this I was thinking, "damn only a groupie would know this type of detail about Shay. I doubt his wife knows this" then it hit me. Wait a minute, this wasn't written by some random fan. Greg probably wrote this.

How sad... I would post the letter but I don't want people to be accused of re-posting "copywriting" material.

Hm, does that apply to fiction,lol?? laugh.gif laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(MarzB @ May 31 2008, 10:00 AM) [snapback]390969[/snapback]
Hey Hype.

Couple questions regarding the same subject. There was a point in time when 'Nard was coming to BTalk frequently and then it stopped. I believe it was due to Greg posting the entire deposition between he and King.

First off do you still have a copy of that deposition (that was an extremely entertaining and long read that I didn't save)? Secondly what was the beef there if there was any.

I think I might still have a copy somewhere, but I'll really have to do some searching to find it. If I find it, I'll post it in the following archived thread:

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=22029

As for the beef, I don't think it had anything to do with the posting of that transcript. The transcript was posted in April of 2005 and if memory serves me correctly, I believe Hopkins was still coming on the site at the time as it was before the Jermain Taylor fights and I'm pretty sure I remember him talking some smack on the site leading up to those fights.

I was actually told two different stories from leon regarding that beef.

First, I was told Nard was "avoiding" him because he owed leon some money, like $50,000, for "helping" him get the Oscar De La Hoya fight.

Then, I was told Nard was mad at him for dropping him down from the #1 pound-for-pound slot after his loss to Taylor.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe the second story. I think leon said that he thought Taylor won the first fight and I can definitely see that pissing Nard off...especially since Nard knows that btalk blew up largely due to all of the interviews he was doing with leon. I can definitely see that pissing Nard off and keeping him away moreso than I can see him "avoiding" leon over some money. I mean, I really don't see how leon "helped" Nard get the De La Hoya fight since De La Hoya ultimately decided who he wants to fight and who he doesn't want to fight and no amount of smack that Nard spit could sucker Oscar into taking a fight. Besides, even if Nard did owe leon some money, I honestly don't think he'd "hide" from him and not do interviews. I think he'd be more inclined to say, "fvck you...I'll pay you whenever I feel like it...now do you want to do the interview or not."

As petty as it sounds, I can definitely see Nard getting pissed about leon "siding" with Taylor in that fight...especially if he considered him to be cool with him.
sweetchuck
When Taylor beat Hopkins and Leon sided with Taylor, Scott Schaffer had just become Dibella's lawyer and I believe there were more ads from Dibella all of a sudden on the site. I remember Leon all of sudden downplaying Hopkins and putting Taylor over talking about how Taylor was a good old fashion man who trains to country music and stuff like that. Really playing up Taylor. Not just saying he thought Taylor won the fight, but putting Taylor over as a superstar and really shitting on Hopkins like he was yesterday's garbage.
Method
Im tellng you, a lot had to do with the transcripts. I remember speaking to Greg a lot during that time, and Hopkins was pissed about it becasue there were a few bout agreements that Hopkins gave Greg copies of that Greg posted, or something along those lines (maybe wound up in the transcripts. And additionally, some of Greg's headlines were kind of declaring King the winner without taking into account the content of the actual arbitration transcripts, but rather what Don King was telling Greg. Im not taking shots or knocking people here, I am strictly going off of how it was going down. Like I said, I read the transcripts (I believe JD and I both read them around the same time, and would discuss them), and our takeaways from comparting the adctual content as opposed to the headlines associated with them was that there was extreme dislocation.

Anyone that would have read them would have agreed, as so did the judge...or arbitor.
thehype
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 6 2008, 06:10 AM) [snapback]391532[/snapback]
Im tellng you, a lot had to do with the transcripts. I remember speaking to Greg a lot during that time, and Hopkins was pissed about it becasue there were a few bout agreements that Hopkins gave Greg copies of that Greg posted, or something along those lines (maybe wound up in the transcripts. And additionally, some of Greg's headlines were kind of declaring King the winner without taking into account the content of the actual arbitration transcripts, but rather what Don King was telling Greg....

Yeah...I remember speaking to leon a lot during that time too.

laugh.gif

That may have been the story he was giving you, but I don't think it was true.

I really don't think it had anything to do with the posting of the transcripts simply because the "FINAL UPDATE" to the transcripts was on April 20, 2005 and from that time until about the end of July, Hopkins was STILL speaking to leon and doing interviews. Bernard's first tight with Taylor wasn't until July 16, 2005 and leading up to that fight, leon still communicated with Hopkins and even bragged to me about ideas he gave Hopkins to use during some of the press conferences leading up to that fight.

A couple days after the first Taylor fight, leon dropped his new Top 20 Pound-for-Pound list:

07/18/2005 - Top Twenty Pound For Pound, By G. Leon

On that list, Hopkins plummeted from the #1 spot all the way down to the #10 spot. Then a couple days after that, the actual verdict for the arbitration came in on July 20, 2005:

07/20/2005 - Hopkins-King arbitration verdict is in! Results are mixed.

When it did come in, it was basically just an edited press release. On that same day, leon dropped a short and brief interview that he did with Hopkins and not once did they speak about the arbitration:

07/20/2005 - Hopkins: "I know I won the fight...a blind man could see I won the twelfth round!", By G. Leon

Moments ago former undisputed middleweight king, Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins told Boxingtalk.com, "I know I won the fight and even the people like you who somehow thought I lost the fight had to give me the twelfth round. A blind man could see that I won the twelfth round, the round which all the belts are supposed to be on the table. I don't know how this kind of controversial, disputed split decision gets you ranked #10 pound for pound according to someone like you Greg Leon, because all I'm getting is love from the people. Everywhere I go they're telling me what I already know, there's people over here in Philadelphia that are literally stopping their cars to show me love and that can't be ranked #10 pound for pound." There will be much more must read material to follow with the former pound for pound king so stay tuned to our front page for all the latest.

And that was the last time you would see any type of leon interview with Hopkins for a long, long time. leon didn't even bother going to the Hopkins-Tarver fight, opting to watch the Cotto-Malignaggi fight instead. In fact, it would be nearly a year later before you saw a Hopkins interview on the site again...and it wasn't even done by leon:

07/13/2006 - Exclusive Interview: Bernard Hopkins, By James Alden
08/17/2006 - Exclusive Interview: Bernard Hopkins Part I, By James Alden
08/18/2006 - Exclusive Interview: Bernard Hopkins Part II, By James Alden

You wouldn't see another Hopkins interview done by leon until December, 2006 when they ran into each other in Tampa, Florida:

12/01/2006 - Bernard Hopkins sounds off!, By G. Leon

If Hopkins was pissed about the transcripts, I really don't think he would have still been speaking with leon for the few months after they were dropped...and given his tone in that last "interview" where he kept mentioning being dropped to #10, combined with the fact that there was no more "must read material with the former pound for pound king" despite the fact that everyone was told there would be, I'd have to guess that they got into a little argument about that ranking, perhaps leon mentioned something about money and then that was that until they squashed it over a year later.
Method
Yeah....or maybe there was more than ONE "fallout", i.e. lull in the action, because what your are saying is exactly right.

Maybe he Heisman'd B-Talk twice. Either way, its a symbiotic relationship...as are most in this f'd up sport.

stateofthegame
It is funny that he pumped Taylor, because Jermain cannot stand Leon.
Coyote Duran
Whatever happened with the "Boxingtalk World Champion" experiment? dntknw.gif
sweetchuck
Hey, I want to be a Boxingtalk world champion, would I get a T-Shirt like the Boxrec #1's?
thehype
I know...I know...it's been a while since I've posted in here. I promise I'll get back to updating here more regularly, but for now...

leon has been EXPOSED yet again!

LMAO @ leon now doing interviews under the fake alias "B. Artest"

I know it may not be as easy for some to make the connection, but considering that I know how the motherfucker operates, it was fairly obvious to me. I wasn't going to say anything at first simply because I thought it was just a rare occassion, but judging from the recent Monte Barrett interview, it looks like he may be having a hard time getting Darren Nichols to do his dirty work for him and since, being an "advisor" now, it would look pretty shady for him to be interviewing his own fighters, I guess he figured he would continue to use the alias thinking nobody would catch on.

Well, I'm sorry to report gregory, but once again, you must be exposed!

On April 23, 2008, B. Artest made his boxingtalk "debut" with little fanfare...no welcome message from the editor, no email link posted on his interview...no nothing. Just a quick four question interview with Trevor Whitman:

04/23/08 - Interview: Trevor Whitman, By B. Artest

If you recall, about a week prior to that, it was revealed that leon was now "advising" newly crowned jr. middleweight champ Verno Phillips. Well it turns out that Trevor Whitman is also the trainer of Verno Phillips.

Hmmmm...very interesting. But wait...there's more...

Two months later, another interview from B. Artest.

06/16/08 - Exclusive Interview: Vivian Harris, By B. Artest

Although it had been a while since B. Artest had anything up on the site, this time, he banged out a "hot" interview with Vivian Harris. In the past, Harris had been known to only do interviews with leon, but this time, Mr. B. Artest was "priviliged" enough to get the exclusive. Interestingly enough, the interview started off with a typical leon lead-in question:

"BT: It's been a while since we've had you on Boxingtalk, what have you been up to?"

Hmmmmm...very interesting indeed. Note to leon, if you're going to do an interview using an alias, at least change up your writing style just a tad bit you idiot. Also note, again, no email link for the author on the interview.

Now fast forward to today, where you get to read the "banger" that B. Artest did with Monte Barret...yet another fighter "advised" by leon.

06/24/08 - Exlusive Interview: Monte Barrett, By B. Artest

Again, no email link for the author (I guess maybe he's dropping those interviews in the mail to send them to leon). Hey...I give him credit though...at least this time he changed his style up a little. Still though..."B. Artest"??? Not really a big stretch from "G. Leon".

He should have just dropped the "x" in his typo and just called it an "elusive" interview as his content is about as shifty and tricky as he is!

It's really pathetic to see this cat trying to fool the fans like that...writing fake interviews with fake aliases to try to promote his own fighters. I really question why people in the industry would want to associate themselves with someone as fake as him. Golden Boy Promotions should really think twice about working with him in regards to Famoso's career.

Anyway...long story short...when reading a btalk interview, be sure to check the author because...

B. ARTEST = G. LEON
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.