Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monkey Business
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Warlord
QUOTE(BigJuicyHog @ May 29 2008, 12:34 PM) [snapback]390814[/snapback]
Lol I just read this whole thread from beginning to end...AWESOME. Cant wait to hear some more dirt. Also, I always thought the Leon was black. I always pictured him as a dorky black dude with classes trying to act all gangster.

Yeah, for some reason I always pictured him looking exactly like Spike Lee, for some reason. LOL. Who knew... he was just another poser.
Spyder
B. Artest --> "Bar Test"...maybe it's a play on Royce DA 5'9" "Bar Exam"
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I took B. Artest to mean Bullshit Artist. Non?
HypeOwnsLeon
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 24 2008, 02:55 AM) [snapback]393553[/snapback]
I know...I know...it's been a while since I've posted in here. I promise I'll get back to updating here more regularly, but for now...

leon has been EXPOSED yet again!

LMAO @ leon now doing interviews under the fake alias "B. Artest"

I know it may not be as easy for some to make the connection, but considering that I know how the motherfucker operates, it was fairly obvious to me. I wasn't going to say anything at first simply because I thought it was just a rare occassion, but judging from the recent Monte Barrett interview, it looks like he may be having a hard time getting Darren Nichols to do his dirty work for him and since, being an "advisor" now, it would look pretty shady for him to be interviewing his own fighters, I guess he figured he would continue to use the alias thinking nobody would catch on.

Well, I'm sorry to report gregory, but once again, you must be exposed!

On April 23, 2008, B. Artest made his boxingtalk "debut" with little fanfare...no welcome message from the editor, no email link posted on his interview...no nothing. Just a quick four question interview with Trevor Whitman:

04/23/08 - Interview: Trevor Whitman, By B. Artest

If you recall, about a week prior to that, it was revealed that leon was now "advising" newly crowned jr. middleweight champ Verno Phillips. Well it turns out that Trevor Whitman is also the trainer of Verno Phillips.

Hmmmm...very interesting. But wait...there's more...

Two months later, another interview from B. Artest.

06/16/08 - Exclusive Interview: Vivian Harris, By B. Artest

Although it had been a while since B. Artest had anything up on the site, this time, he banged out a "hot" interview with Vivian Harris. In the past, Harris had been known to only do interviews with leon, but this time, Mr. B. Artest was "priviliged" enough to get the exclusive. Interestingly enough, the interview started off with a typical leon lead-in question:

"BT: It's been a while since we've had you on Boxingtalk, what have you been up to?"

Hmmmmm...very interesting indeed. Note to leon, if you're going to do an interview using an alias, at least change up your writing style just a tad bit you idiot. Also note, again, no email link for the author on the interview.

Now fast forward to today, where you get to read the "banger" that B. Artest did with Monte Barret...yet another fighter "advised" by leon.

06/24/08 - Exlusive Interview: Monte Barrett, By B. Artest

Again, no email link for the author (I guess maybe he's dropping those interviews in the mail to send them to leon). Hey...I give him credit though...at least this time he changed his style up a little. Still though..."B. Artest"??? Not really a big stretch from "G. Leon".

He should have just dropped the "x" in his typo and just called it an "elusive" interview as his content is about as shifty and tricky as he is!

It's really pathetic to see this cat trying to fool the fans like that...writing fake interviews with fake aliases to try to promote his own fighters. I really question why people in the industry would want to associate themselves with someone as fake as him. Golden Boy Promotions should really think twice about working with him in regards to Famoso's career.

Anyway...long story short...when reading a btalk interview, be sure to check the author because...

B. ARTEST = G. LEON

Hype, Have you ever heard of something called "The boxingtalk t-shirt curse" seems to me like every boxer who wore that shirt got his ass beat before a big fight.....Mitchell by Calzaghe, Holyfield by Toney...and I'm pretty sure theres more to come....I just wanted to shed some light on this....thanks!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Y'know Hype as much as people dog on Leon I have this funny feeling that he's gonna come up smelling of roses.

He's got that whole Don King teflon vibe to him.

P.S do you really think he'd try and sell his site for a sum that includes six zero's?

Say it aint so.

Also if he's so close to Bob Arum how come BT hasn't had way more Cotto/Margarito coverage? I think Greg is really showing how much he's neglecting his site with his woeful lack of coverage in what will surely be a 'fight of the year' candidate.

But then again he's never covered either guy much which has always confused me.
Method
P.S do you really think he'd try and sell his site for a sum that includes six zero's?

There ain't a boxing site out there that goes for seven figures. NONE. No matter what anyone tries to tell you.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(Method @ Jul 25 2008, 09:24 AM) [snapback]396990[/snapback]
There ain't a boxing site out there that goes for seven figures. NONE. No matter what anyone tries to tell you.

I guess it all depends on where you put the decimal point! LOL.
thehype
QUOTE(HypeOwnsLeon @ Jul 25 2008, 02:54 AM) [snapback]396971[/snapback]
Hype, Have you ever heard of something called "The boxingtalk t-shirt curse" seems to me like every boxer who wore that shirt got his ass beat before a big fight.....Mitchell by Calzaghe, Holyfield by Toney...and I'm pretty sure theres more to come....I just wanted to shed some light on this....thanks!

LOL.

Yeah...I've heard about it.

Spinks vs. Judah II
Judah vs. Baldomir

I think Jantuah wore one when Ouma beat him.

Ouma may have been wearing one before one of his losses.

I think there were a few others.

Nice name by the way.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jul 25 2008, 09:53 AM) [snapback]396984[/snapback]
Y'know Hype as much as people dog on Leon I have this funny feeling that he's gonna come up smelling of roses.

He's got that whole Don King teflon vibe to him.

Dead roses maybe.

laugh.gif

I seriously doubt it. Personally, I think he's just a couple of moves away from fvcking up his website as well as his fighter's careers. He really needs Ishe Smith to come up big against Pawel Wolak or it's basically a wrap for his career. Monte Barrett...his career is pretty much over. Gainer...done. Tarvis Simms...who? Then what happens if Verno Phillips loses to John Duddy? Oops! And now this mess with Allan Green. I think he's walking on thin ice right now. And if he continues to try and go at ESPN...if he actually tries to sue them like he claims he's going to do...well....that'll probably be a wrap for him as well.

But hey...this is boxing so you never know...stranger things have happened.

laugh.gif

QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jul 25 2008, 09:53 AM) [snapback]396984[/snapback]

Say it aint so.

It ain't so. He's never been offered anything close to that and he'll never be offered anything near that. Truth be told, he ain't even looking to sell it. What he wants is someone he can control...someone who can run the website that can put up whatever he wants without attaching his name to it. Now that he's "advising", it's a conflict of interest for him to be doing certain interviews and stuff like that so, if he could have it his way, he'd still like to be able to do that without having anyone know that he's the one pulling the strings. That's why he tried to throw a line out there to me to see if I'd bite.

"I don't really trust anyone like I trust Hype....blah, blah, blah..."

Sorry homie...but fvck off.

fuck.gif

Also if he's so close to Bob Arum how come BT hasn't had way more Cotto/Margarito coverage? I think Greg is really showing how much he's neglecting his site with his woeful lack of coverage in what will surely be a 'fight of the year' candidate.

But then again he's never covered either guy much which has always confused me.

It's got nothing to do with how close he is to Bob Arum...the guy just simply doesn't really care about covering boxing...PERIOD! He could care less about giving the fans what they want. He's just trying to put money in his pocket and if that means that he needs to focus more on his fighter's careers and less on the website...then fvck it...as far as he's concerned, the website can suffer. Simple as that. He doesn't care about boxing or the fans...he just cares about putting money in his pocket.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Hype this could be true.

Just swung past there on my early morning jaunt around the sites before inevitably ending up here.

Dude the guy has just posted ANOTHER article about the whole Rafael/Green situation.

I mean hasn't he heard there's a little fight going down called Margarito/Cotto? Instead he's busy covering the career of a C list fighter.

Greg if you're reading this, and Hype assures us that you do, mate nobody in boxing is interested in Allen Green right now, best you start trying to make some effort to start covering the ONLY fight that boxing fans are interested in this very moment. (Clue: it has nothing to do with Allen 'Did I remember to tie my shoe laces' Green).
stateofthegame
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jul 26 2008, 02:37 AM) [snapback]397039[/snapback]
Allen 'Did I remember to tie my shoe laces' Green).

lol now that is funny
stateofthegame
It is also funny that this thread just will not die, it gets pushed back then every couple of months, BAM! Right back to haunting G
dj necrogenic
I still think this thread should be stickied!!!
Tyson180
Whatever happend to Michael Katz? I remember when he left MAX and then was at sweet science and then he popped up on Boxingtalk - why would a legendary scribe go from MAX to BTalk? And why didn't he last long? He must have got a wiff of G-Pawn
dj necrogenic
Greg probably still owes him for that articles he wrote
HypeOwnsLeon
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 25 2008, 05:04 PM) [snapback]397032[/snapback]
LOL.

Spinks vs. Judah II
Judah vs. Baldomir

Nice name by the way.

laugh.gif

I dont know but maybe I'm alone by thinking this but.....Why havent I've ever seen this so called dude who calls his site "The best out there" on an HBO telecast? I usually see Steve Kim or Doug Fischer on HBO during the countown to a big fight. Why hasnt Greg ever been invited? LMFAO @ Greg thinking he was able to put Judah/Mayweather together by use of his shitty website and LMFAO even HARDER @ Greg always making excuses to every one of Judah's losses....Is Greg still a pot head?
stateofthegame
QUOTE(HypeOwnsLeon @ Jul 26 2008, 06:27 AM) [snapback]397065[/snapback]
I dont know but maybe I'm alone by thinking this but.....Why havent I've ever seen this so called dude who calls his site "The best out there" on an HBO telecast? I usually see Steve Kim or Doug Fischer on HBO during the countown to a big fight. Why hasnt Greg ever been invited?

Hype I will try to answer this one for you if you do not mind.

First of all as Hype has said, Greg does not care about boxing, especially if he is not getting paid and as far as I know HBO does not pay for those spots. Also HBO knows how Greg operates and what his actual standing in the sport truly is.

Another thing is Greg does not cover fights. He says he is there and he maybe in town, but there is always another agenda that takes up most his time and he hardly ever shows for the fight and if he does it is not until the main event.
QUOTE(HypeOwnsLeon @ Jul 26 2008, 06:27 AM) [snapback]397065[/snapback]
Is Greg still a pot head?

You must know him.
AKay
Greg has done the scoring on Showtime fights on more than one occasion.
Maybe not in a while but he has. He was also on Quite Frankly 2 or 3 times, once with Bert Sugar.

stateofthegame
QUOTE(AKay @ Jul 26 2008, 08:34 AM) [snapback]397082[/snapback]
Maybe not in a while but he has. He was also on Quite Frankly 2 or 3 times, once with Bert Sugar.

Being a Showtime scorer is not difficult, they basically just grab three writers. I even got to do Judah-Weis.

As far as the other Hype was the one that got that gig to begin with.
woooooo
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 25 2008, 04:04 PM) [snapback]397032[/snapback]
LOL.

Spinks vs. Judah II
Judah vs. Baldomir

Nice name by the way.

laugh.gif

Ouma wore one when he fought Karmazin. I remember mentioning that to you over the phone right after the fight.

woooooo
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Jul 25 2008, 10:32 PM) [snapback]397081[/snapback]
Hype I will try to answer this one for you if you do not mind.

First of all as Hype has said, Greg does not care about boxing, especially if he is not getting paid and as far as I know HBO does not pay for those spots. Also HBO knows how Greg operates and what his actual standing in the sport truly is.

Another thing is Greg does not cover fights. He says he is there and he maybe in town, but there is always another agenda that takes up most his time and he hardly ever shows for the fight and if he does it is not until the main event.

You must know him.

Last time I saw Leon at Hopkins-Wright, he taped the weigh in brawl, bounced and had Darren cover the pressers, and then just watched the main event from regular seats.
caneman
NOT WORK SAFE>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCVjY-wsog&fmt=18 just more monkey business! lmao!
boxingschlock
think Nate campbell wore one when he started seeing galaxy stars aginst Peden. Wasn't Greg "advising" Campbell when he stuck his chin out a second time and got knocked out by Lou DiBella. Campbell was barking for more money on BT than his minimum and Lou just shut him down....very much like Allan "Still" Green.
I give credit to Greg in many respects, he's a hustler. I still don't know how he got Holyfield t wear one of his t-shirts, for free as I understand. The man is/was worth millions had huge exposure for that fight and could have sold the space for big $$$ and gives it away for free. Big mystery.
I used to be a little bit involved in this business and remember being in a scrum after a small fightcard years ago with Greg. It can be tough in there sometimes and if your only skill is a record button on a cheapo handicam your not going to survive, I actual landed an accidental elbow to his hollow cranium as he tried to weasel in. Got my piece up pretty quick (remember where you heard it first)...3 days later I see an article on BT how it was feeding time at the zoo and how the master was able to pull off a more civilzed interview...mind you well after the fact.
I honestly thought Greg would burn himself out by now....especially after Ron "I have the worst grammar and spelling on the net" Heard. But the dude just kept churning it out, scoops, exclusives, as much as everybody tried to ignore him, he was getting nuggets time to time that even the main stream couldn't ignore. He actually improved and went from the point where he would float 10 different opponents for a Trinidad and ccome back to ....remember where...when one of the 10 was named.
I honestly can't read most of his drivel, but if he's commanding 50,000 for failed attempts to steal boxers, it looks like things will turn out for him.
That's it for now...will write more later
thehype
QUOTE(AKay @ Jul 25 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]397082[/snapback]

LOL. Like stateofthegame said, that's really, really, really easy to do. They literally just walk up and down press row asking if people want to do it...at least that's how they used to do it. I actually turned it down once...just didn't want to be bothered. I think they've gotten a little more consistent with who they use now, but don't quote me on that.

QUOTE(AKay @ Jul 25 2008, 11:34 PM) [snapback]397082[/snapback]

And hasn't been back since. But regardless, there's a big difference between hustlin' your way on to Quite Frankly twice and consistently appearing on HBO countdown shows and Showtime documentaries year after year.
thehype
QUOTE(woooooo @ Jul 26 2008, 12:36 AM) [snapback]397087[/snapback]
Last time I saw Leon at Hopkins-Wright, he taped the weigh in brawl, bounced and had Darren cover the pressers, and then just watched the main event from regular seats.

And that's pretty much the norm...show up for the main event and then bounce while Darren or someone else is running around doing all the work. Hell, I'm surprised he even showed up for the main event. There was a time when he stopped going altogether and would just kick it back at the hotel. You know, for as much eye-rollin' that I've seen certain PR people do to other websites, it really amazes me that they still bother to give boxingtalk more than one credential...or any credntials at all for that matter. Take last weekend's Affliction Banned MMA card. I won't say who, but there was a boxingtalk correspondent "covering" that event...and yet, there was absolutely no Affliction Banned coverage on the website. Kelly Swanson...I hope you're reading this...why give out credentials to websites that aren't actually covering the event?????? Toney vs. Rahman II is another example. They had a guy there and yet NO COVERAGE. It's really becoming a joke. It's a slap in the face to the other websites and people that actually are working hard to cover the events.
thehype
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 26 2008, 09:24 AM) [snapback]397102[/snapback]
NOT WORK SAFE>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCVjY-wsog&fmt=18 just more monkey business! lmao!

LMAO

A perfect example of why you don't fvck someone out in the open.

laugh.gif
caneman
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 26 2008, 01:04 PM) [snapback]397121[/snapback]
LMAO

A perfect example of why you don't fvck someone out in the open.

laugh.gif

LMAO! I was wondering if anyone was even gonna catch that! That little cock blocking bastard laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(boxingschlock @ Jul 26 2008, 11:43 AM) [snapback]397107[/snapback]
think Nate campbell wore one when he started seeing galaxy stars aginst Peden. Wasn't Greg "advising" Campbell when he stuck his chin out a second time and got knocked out by Lou DiBella. Campbell was barking for more money on BT than his minimum and Lou just shut him down....very much like Allan "Still" Green.

Very much like? Don't you mean EXACTLY like? It's very, very, VERY easy to see what's going on...even all the way down to Lou DiBella's involvement. Green is advised by leon, owner of boxingtalk. Lou DiBella's lawyer is Scott Shaffer, who writes for boxingtalk (which, by the way, kind of makes the boxingtalk ratings that Shaffer updates pretty meaningless...not to mention his commentary on certain fights...since you have to wonder if any favoritism is involved with DBE fighters). Leon -> Shaffer -> DiBella...just follow the breadcrumbs. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, Shaffer was involved in one way, shape or form with Monte Barrett. Just follow the breadcrumbs. Leon is friends with Shaffer so he put him on to a couple of fighters. Then leon puts Shaffer on to Lou DiBella. Now it's just a matter of shuffling fighters around. Don't get me wrong...there's a lot of other details that are missing...like DiBella's involvement with SEENO group (Ishe Smith's promoter)...but you can kind of get the picture. I got the distinct "privilege" to see all that develop...which is the reason why I know everything that's going on right now in regards to all the people in question.

I give credit to Greg in many respects, he's a hustler. I still don't know how he got Holyfield t wear one of his t-shirts, for free as I understand. The man is/was worth millions had huge exposure for that fight and could have sold the space for big $$$ and gives it away for free. Big mystery.

All you really gotta do is have a friend who can vouch for you, but yeah...considering Holyfield had no need to do it, you gotta give him credit for that. Gift of gab is a mofo.

I used to be a little bit involved in this business and remember being in a scrum after a small fightcard years ago with Greg. It can be tough in there sometimes and if your only skill is a record button on a cheapo handicam your not going to survive, I actual landed an accidental elbow to his hollow cranium as he tried to weasel in. Got my piece up pretty quick (remember where you heard it first)...3 days later I see an article on BT how it was feeding time at the zoo and how the master was able to pull off a more civilzed interview...mind you well after the fact.

LOL. For some reason, that sounds vaguely familiar...but then again, I saw the ol' "feeding time at the zoo and how the master was able to pull off a more civilzed interview" line so many times, it could have been any one of them. That's kind of when the popular "SUITE" interviews came into play...why sit around at a press conference to try and get an interview when you can catch them back at the hotel? At least, that was the mentality. It got pretty bad after a while though. It got to the point where he'd just show up BEFORE the press conference started, get a few interviews with the main eventers and then bounce without even sticking around for the presser.

I honestly thought Greg would burn himself out by now....especially after Ron "I have the worst grammar and spelling on the net" Heard. But the dude just kept churning it out, scoops, exclusives, as much as everybody tried to ignore him, he was getting nuggets time to time that even the main stream couldn't ignore. He actually improved and went from the point where he would float 10 different opponents for a Trinidad and ccome back to ....remember where...when one of the 10 was named.
I honestly can't read most of his drivel, but if he's commanding 50,000 for failed attempts to steal boxers, it looks like things will turn out for him.

Aw, but he did kind of burn himself out...which is why he switched over to "advising". I mean, if you follow his career, you can see that his "hard-hitting" stories just stopped. All the shots he used to take at HBO, the sanctioning bodies, promoters...basically all the stories that a lot of the fans came to appreciate him for with that "Fuck you, I don't give a fuck attitude"...they just stopped...largely in part because he was trying to get advertisement out of them. Remember the whole Finkel-Watley-Tyson story...that shit just dropped out of sight. No follow-up...no nothing...it just stopped...not another word about it. Now, was it coincidence that a Shelly Finkel ad appeared on boxingtalk shortly after that? I don't know...you be the judge.

The chat sessions...we used to do those at least twice a week with multiple fighters...sometimes three times a week...with a phone call to a fan after each one. That shit stopped too. Every now and then we'd do one, but only with the same people over and OVER again (Winky, Mayweather, Toney...repeat)...and no more phone calls after chats since, according to leon, "I only did that shit so people would know those were the actual fighters. I ain't doin' that phone call bullshit anymore. Fuck 'em!"

The mailbags...he's been trying to pass those off to as many people as possible for the past few years. He would ask me over and over and OVER again to do them, to which I would reply, "Fuuuuuck that. You don't pay me enough to do that much work." So instead, he'd get Ishe Smith or Smoke Gainer or OnFire Aguirre or now Joe Mac (who the fuck is that) to do them.

The interviews...shit...how pathetic have the interviews gotten? Honestly, there was a time when leon had some of the hottest interviews out there. Unfortunately for him, that distinct honor now belongs to Percy "The Talent" Crawford. Seriously, his interviews are all cookie cutter now...basically five questions:

1) What's the latest and greatest?
2) What are you going to do to your upcoming opponent?
3) Who do you want to call out?
4) What other smack do you want to throw out there?
5) Closing thoughts?

That's it. Pretty weak. Of course, the internet world has changed a bit and with so many boxing websites and avenues for fighters to get exposure, leon began to lose that exclusivity that he once had on a number of fighters. Why Bernard even bothers to fvck with him still is beyond me since, every time Bernard has something to say, the interview gets locked and is only seen by about 500 people (not exactly the best way to get maximum exposure). But anyway, even his interviews, his bread and butter, have gotten weaker and weaker over the years.

So honestly, I'd say he HAS burnt himself out...which is why he started making the move to advisor over the last year and a half. Truth be told, he might be burning himself out on that as well. The $50,000 that he hustled here and there was a long time ago and as far as I know, the few promoters that have had a major deal like that with him, have never really worked with him in that capacity again (in fact, to my knowledge, one of those promoters even stiffed him). Now it looks like he's stooped so low that he thinks he's going to get ESPN to settle out of court with him...which is the reason why he's still crying about Dan Rafael and threatening to send them a letter and post it on the front page of his website. "Each lie that ESPN.com allows him to print becomes another paragaph of a letter to ESPN.com that will be posted on Boxingtalk's front page in the coming days." SERIOUSLY? I mean, I'm curious to know if it's going to be Scott Shaffer who drafts up that letter. This guy is really trying to shit his "advising" career down the toilet. I mean...first you continue to sling jabs and insults at Bob Arum, a promoter that you might have to work with in the future in order to get your fighters some fights. Now, he's trying to strong-arm ESPN, a network you'll definitely have to work with in the future in order to get your fighters some TV exposure, into settling out of court. WHAT THE FUCK IS HE SMOKING RIGHT NOW? Dumb, dumb, DUMB moves if you ask me. But hey...I sure am getting a kick out of it.

That's it for now...will write more later

Please do. I hate being the only one to share all of my juicy stories. LOL.
boxingschlock
Wish I'd kept notes over the years, one of my favorite Greg moments over the years was when he was going after Murad Mohamed with guns blazing, I really forget about what. I'm certainly no Murad fan but he was hilarious with Greg in hot pursuit of the money trail; he was saying things like I ain't telling you squat, this isn't a college tutorial about the business of boxing. Greg just wanted to know how things worked so he could screw people in the future.
Another was his bashing of the IBF when they were in trusteeship. He tried actively to get the position of Presidient of the IBF, can you imagine?
The site itself is terrible these days, I couldn't even imagine who would spend money on a membership right now.
The whole Michael Katz thing shocked me. I used to be a meber of Max for basically Katz. He was a senior guy, knew a thing or two, and threw an interesting scoop out here and there. One time Greg went after him in vile and vicious manner, went after his hygiene and was really gutter stuff. It was about as ugly as anything I read. Couple years later Katz is writing for BT. Poor Mike, how low can you go....
Funniest endorsement of Greg was from Pedro who is a bigger ass than Greg will ever be. Pedro acting like he was endorsing a Presidential candidate moved his support from FN to BT as if he was a kingmaker. The endorsement didn't last long.
MarzB
I'm still just utterly amazed by what I read. Case in point, are Allan Greene and Ishe Smith (probably Greg's most talented guys and Smith is steady falling off the charts as he's underwhelmed plenty of times he's had opportunity) THAT DESPERATE that Greg is the only person they could get to POWER BROKER (smirk) a situation??

Generally speaking, I like Allan as a boxer but come on. You'd think a guy like Smoke/Joke Gainer being around Roy Jones would atleast figure out the game somewhat or be able to leverage his own contacts. But I guess these guys when it all boils down to it are nothing but "BOXERS", so what can be expected??

boxingschlock
Ihaven't done an entire roster check, but I notice a lot of similarities of boxers on Greg's roster list, all wanna-be's like Greg who talk the talk but nothing else. Especially Smith and Green. When the Contender first started and I saw Smith, I figured this guy had star written all over him. He certainly talked the talk, had some skills, his prescence certainly made it look like he was the one to beat. Then, when it came time to put-up, Ishe pulled a switchee. Gone was all the trash talk and we got to see how insecure and unsure of himself he really was. He was fully exposed; from contender to being Leon's biatch and answering his mail....what a career move.
"Still" Green is very much the same way. All talk and not much to back it up. Almost lost to McCrary....that's all we need to know about Allan Green the boxer. He still does the talking but little of the fighting. Turned down I don't know how many fights including a shot at a belt with Bute. I think what your "advisor" is trying to tell you is get a payday and get out, and don't forget to pay him on your way out.
MarzB
Last I heard Leon's roster was

Gainer, Smith, Phillips, Barrett and now Greene.

I don't know who trains Greene but theres something about him that makes me like him. Maybe I see the potential still in him if he steps up right. I hope it's distortions and not true regarding how he's turned down fights or has said he's bigger than ESPN which is basically where he made his name.

Oh thats what I wanted to mention, the "B ARTEST" alias,lol. I swear and I know I didn't say it I always felt that read like Greg. I thought it was along the lines of "RON ARTEST" him being from New York and such. But it's funny what he does,lol..

thehype
QUOTE(boxingschlock @ Jul 26 2008, 02:38 PM) [snapback]397132[/snapback]
The site itself is terrible these days, I couldn't even imagine who would spend money on a membership right now.
The whole Michael Katz thing shocked me. I used to be a meber of Max for basically Katz. He was a senior guy, knew a thing or two, and threw an interesting scoop out here and there. One time Greg went after him in vile and vicious manner, went after his hygiene and was really gutter stuff. It was about as ugly as anything I read. Couple years later Katz is writing for BT. Poor Mike, how low can you go....

It's horrible. Basically a PR firm for his adivsory group with a sprinkling of relevant boxing news here and there. Don't be too hard on ol' Katz...at least he got paid...that is until leon figured out that it would take more than the simple addition of Katz in order to get an ad deal with HBO. Once he found out that wasn't happening, there's was no need to keep Katz around. No pay...no stay...and Katz got the fvck out without ever being screwed. Good move for him. Still though...I get your point....personally, I don't think I could've taken a dime from a kid who spit so much venom about me. But hey...to each their own.

QUOTE(boxingschlock @ Jul 26 2008, 02:38 PM) [snapback]397132[/snapback]
Funniest endorsement of Greg was from Pedro who is a bigger ass than Greg will ever be. Pedro acting like he was endorsing a Presidential candidate moved his support from FN to BT as if he was a kingmaker. The endorsement didn't last long.

LOL

laugh.gif

Pedro Fernandez?

To: gleon@boxingtalk.com
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 6:08 PM
Subject: Pull Those Comments Mr. leon

Dear Mr. Leon, and others at BoxingTalk.com

On Monday, my Attorney will be contacting you re: the UNTRUE & malicious statements in your message board regarding myself, Pedro Fernandez.

Do you have counsel we can send the filings to? We will file suit as early as next week.

You screwed up this time Mr. Leon! Pull it down and appolgize now, or pay big down the road.

Sincerely,

Pedro Fernandez

You mean THAT Pedro Fernandez?

laugh.gif

thehype
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jul 26 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]397138[/snapback]
I'm still just utterly amazed by what I read. Case in point, are Allan Greene and Ishe Smith (probably Greg's most talented guys and Smith is steady falling off the charts as he's underwhelmed plenty of times he's had opportunity) THAT DESPERATE that Greg is the only person they could get to POWER BROKER (smirk) a situation??

I think it's a combination of things...desperation, naiveness, delusion...sometimes they can just get bad advice from a third party who's in the middle (which was probably the case with Carlos Hernandez).

QUOTE(MarzB @ Jul 26 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]397138[/snapback]
Generally speaking, I like Allan as a boxer but come on. You'd think a guy like Smoke/Joke Gainer being around Roy Jones would atleast figure out the game somewhat or be able to leverage his own contacts. But I guess these guys when it all boils down to it are nothing but "BOXERS", so what can be expected??

Whoa, whoa, WHOA! What makes you think hanging around Roy Jones Jr. is going to teach these guys anything. I mean, you gotta understand...Roy's taking advice from leon too. After all, who do you think got him involved with this PEMG group that's supposed to be getting him all of these sponsorships? In fact, if I can just interject a funny story here...

According to legend, leon supposedly ghost wrote some of the lyrics to the instant hit "Ya'll Must've Forgot".

laugh.gif

Oh yes...it's true, it's true...

Legend has it that he's tight with Roy because of the hot lyrics he helped him write for that song. That's why you get the occassional scoopage from Roy.

But anyway...yeah...the point is, don't think that other fighters aren't doing the same thing. I mean...Spinks...Zab...Hopkins...Tarver...there's been quite a few.
AKay
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! @ Ghost wrote Yall Musta Forgot.
Yo Roy needed to come to me to ghost write that shyt.

I remember when Toney said he would do a skit on my CD of knocking Roy Out lol.

Method
LOL @ Kelly Swanson. What a total joke
boxingschlock
As an advisor to the advisor of Allan Green, I suggest he runs to Lou DiBella and gets the Jermain Taylor fight. Only mystery here is whether if Lou who looks to take over "Still" Green would square off two of his own guys. Guess that is why you need an advisor...
That's twice in about a week that a half-mill is looked at as chump change...go figure.
Love BT coverage of Cotto-Mararito. LOL
JonnyBlaze
G Leon is a piece of shit and his site sucks now..There was no way I was going to give him more money to be a memeber a little after you left Hype..I think we all can tell how shitty the site has gotten now..The last chat on that site I remember asking him why no more phone calls and all he said was "everyone knows its real now so we don't have to anymore.."I was thinking are you fuckin serious??The whole reason to do phone calls if for their fans to have a once in a lifetime chat with the boxer they admire..I was the last person ever to get a phone call on that site and I was lucky enough you were still around otherwise I would of never gotten to talk to Diego Corrales ever(RIP Diego)..Boxingtalk sucks now and anyone who is going to pay all that loot to just get interviews is a idiot..There arent even videos on there anymore..I just hope all the boxers who were on there come to FIGHTHYPE now..Hype is here for the fans,Leon is here for money and to not hook up the fans..Hes a fuckin joke and a faggot..He'd get smoked in the ring with me real quick..Hype,you said he cheats on his wife??That just makes me respect him even less then I already do..
Tyson180
I wrote a story for Btalk a long time ago dissing Zab Judah and then one day at work I got a voicemail through Greg's phone with Judah dissing me, telling me my "brooklyn pass" had been revoked and if he saw me he was going to KO me ...he's a real piece of work, probably still showing effects of the Zabba-dabba-doo dance Kostya made him do ....... do you know, Hype, anything on the hate G has for Maxboxing and fightnews? It seems like at one point during his tenure at BTalk he was always finding ways to dig at them - did anything specific happen or is he just jealous?
Tyson180
Does GLeon still "charge" people for his site? If you go under the link to join it's quite misleading. I'm surprised nobody has taken him to court with all hi talk about 'great chats' etc .. things that haven't been given to the paying customer in a long time
Byrd Man
looooooooooooool

your Brooklyn Pass is REVOKED, son! ha ha ha
thehype
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jul 27 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]397552[/snapback]
G Leon is a piece of shit and his site sucks now..There was no way I was going to give him more money to be a memeber a little after you left Hype..I think we all can tell how shitty the site has gotten now..The last chat on that site I remember asking him why no more phone calls and all he said was "everyone knows its real now so we don't have to anymore.."I was thinking are you fuckin serious??The whole reason to do phone calls if for their fans to have a once in a lifetime chat with the boxer they admire..I was the last person ever to get a phone call on that site and I was lucky enough you were still around otherwise I would of never gotten to talk to Diego Corrales ever(RIP Diego)..Boxingtalk sucks now and anyone who is going to pay all that loot to just get interviews is a idiot..There arent even videos on there anymore..I just hope all the boxers who were on there come to FIGHTHYPE now..Hype is here for the fans,Leon is here for money and to not hook up the fans..Hes a fuckin joke and a faggot..He'd get smoked in the ring with me real quick..Hype,you said he cheats on his wife??That just makes me respect him even less then I already do..

JonnyBlaze!!!!!! What's good man. Long time, no see. I don't think I've seen you since one of those ol' school chats.

Anyway, thanks for the support bro.

Yeah, not letting the fans get the phone calls anymore was pretty much right around the time when things started to change. As you can tell from his response, it was never about giving back to the fans or the paying members...it was only about trying to prove that he was credible. It quickly became less and less about doing things for the fans, the fighters and the sport and more, more about hustling people to put money in his pocket.

Every week that goes by, the site becomes more and more of a joke. Other than DiBella's lawyer Scott Shaffer, none of the "senior writers" that he has listed (Budd Schulberg, George Kimball and Bert Sugar) do any writing for him. Bert Sugar never even did anything for him...he couldn't because ESPN wouldn't let him. Speaking of ESPN, George Kimball left and bounced to ESPN.com (makes you wonder if leon is bitter about that given his recent attacks regarding the Rafael situation). And Budd Schulberg...well...if you don't know who Budd Schulberg is, he's a legendary boxing writer...the author of the novels What Makes Sammy Run, The Harder They Fall and the Academy-award-winning screenplay for On the Waterfront. Anyway, somehow, leon got hooked up with Budd's son Benn...one thing led to another and the next thing I know, I was told to add both Benn and Budd to the list of correspondents. Well, I think Benn may have wrote like one thing for the site so when I asked leon why he was keeping those guys on board in favor of some of the other guys he was looking to dump, he replied to me, "Shit nigga, Budd Schulberg is like 90 some years old. When he dies, I can say he was with boxingtalk. Holla!"

Fucking disgusting.

Hell, now he's got a mailbagger doing the mailbag and half the names on his correspondent list have either gone on to other sites (like Michael Campbell, Mike Samuels, Mike Walters, Dan Horgan and Brad Cooney), don't do anything anymore (like Don Wright, Cara Castronouva, Philip Gonzalez and Ray Campbell) or are simply fake aliases (like B. Artest, Wyatt Johnston, Ramon Rodriguez and Hector Linares). It's a fucking ghost town over there...nothing more than a PR website for his fighters and some of his friends who want to talk a little smack thinking they might get a fight. I don't think anyone needs a better example of how bad things have gotten than his recent coverage of Margarito-Cotto. I mean, talk about pathetic. No articles, no interviews, no predictions...no nothing. Just more talk about his beef with Rafael regarding one of his fighters mixed with a few mailbags answered by some fan.

It's really sad....I don't think I've seen that site at such a low point...not even when good ol' Ron Heard was running it.
thehype
QUOTE(Tyson180 @ Jul 28 2008, 04:07 PM) [snapback]397724[/snapback]
I wrote a story for Btalk a long time ago dissing Zab Judah and then one day at work I got a voicemail through Greg's phone with Judah dissing me, telling me my "brooklyn pass" had been revoked and if he saw me he was going to KO me ...he's a real piece of work, probably still showing effects of the Zabba-dabba-doo dance Kostya made him do ....... do you know, Hype, anything on the hate G has for Maxboxing and fightnews? It seems like at one point during his tenure at BTalk he was always finding ways to dig at them - did anything specific happen or is he just jealous?

My man MS. What's good bro?

Yeah...believe it or not, I already knew about that story. Leon called me up to brag about how he had Zab call you up and leave that message. I remember that all too well.

As for the beef with Max and FN, yeah, I know what's up with that, but it ain't even worth mentioning...just a bunch of silly stuff..."Flattop did this, Flattop said that, blah, blah, blah". All you really gotta know is that he has beef with EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE.
thehype
QUOTE(Tyson180 @ Jul 28 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]397742[/snapback]
Does GLeon still "charge" people for his site? If you go under the link to join it's quite misleading. I'm surprised nobody has taken him to court with all hi talk about 'great chats' etc .. things that haven't been given to the paying customer in a long time

Oh yeah...that's why he still locks interviews like the recent Antonio Tarver one he did.

Good catch about the false advertisement. I wonder if customers who have already paid can file some sort of class-action lawsuit.

laugh.gif

Somebody send an email to Scott Shaffer and ask him to check into that.

laugh.gif
HypeOwnsLeon
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 28 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]397766[/snapback]
Oh yeah...that's why he still locks interviews like the recent Antonio Tarver one he did.

Good catch about the false advertisement. I wonder if customers who have already paid can file some sort of class-action lawsuit.

laugh.gif

Somebody send an email to Scott Shaffer and ask him to check into that.

laugh.gif

Hype, does Greg still get high? I saw a video on Youtube of him dissing Bert Sugar...when I saw him I was like..."So this is what this fag looks like" Goodness that haircut went out of style in I dont know what fucking year. His site has really gone to shit...Its a damn shame. Half of the guys whom he has doing articles and mailbags dont know shit...Greg has stooped so low that it wouldnt surprise me if he gets Beavis & Butthead from the boxing world to do his articles and mailbags....Incase you're wondering who they are go to Youtube and type in "Boxig4real" those 2 hick clowns will make a great team on the shit site now referred to as BULLSHITtalk.com
boxingschlock
FOR THOSE OF YOU MISSING MAILBAG AT BT.......

Yo-G-Man, what's going down. Just wanted to send a holla to let you guy's know you're still the shit. Wazzup wid yo man Green. Don't let the haters get you down G., this guy got what it takes to make some noise. Man if it wuz me I'd take short money and go grab the belts and be in the drivers seat. Let everybody come to you and you'll be calling the shots. Course that's just me, you're the master LOL. Anyway, love the site, keep it up.
D. Schnizel

What's going D? Nice to see Brooklyn passport holders giving a shoutout! Don't worry bout my man Green, he's still a but punchy from Miranda and does everything I tell him, LOL. No, for real, we got this thing covered like my newborn who's probably at home right now, hope so LOL. Look for Green to be making some green real soon, not like the chump change being thrown around like some of the haters are saying. Be cool. G.
hiHATERS
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Jul 27 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]397552[/snapback]

HATER \ A label applied to people who are more negative than positive when discussing another person. It most commonly refers to individuals whose negativity is so extreme that it is all-consuming. However, there are various levels and forms of being a hater, ranging from completely dismissing any positive traits or actions, to merely painting a less than flattering picture by using words with negative connotations. Hating is often attributed to jealousy, but just as often, it seems to stem from some other source.
thehype
QUOTE(HypeOwnsLeon @ Jul 29 2008, 07:23 AM) [snapback]397854[/snapback]
Hype, does Greg still get high?

I have no idea...it's been over a year since I last saw him.

thehype
QUOTE(hiHATERS @ Jul 29 2008, 01:40 PM) [snapback]397905[/snapback]
HATER \ A label applied to people who are more negative than positive when discussing another person. It most commonly refers to individuals whose negativity is so extreme that it is all-consuming. However, there are various levels and forms of being a hater, ranging from completely dismissing any positive traits or actions, to merely painting a less than flattering picture by using words with negative connotations. Hating is often attributed to jealousy, but just as often, it seems to stem from some other source.

thumbsdown_anim.gif

FOLLOWER \ A label applied to a person who follows another in regard to his or her ideas or belief; a person who imitates, copies, or takes as a model or ideal. It often has an implication of personal relationship or of slavish acquiescence.

SHEEP \ A timid defenseless simpleton who is readily preyed upon; a docile and vulnerable person who would rather follow than make an independent decision.

I'm DEFINITELY a leon hater and I certainly don't hide that fact. It's got nothing to do with jealously though. In my case, it's personal. His constant threats and attempts at bullying...his promise to "do everything in my power to crush Ben"...the lies he attempted to spread about me to others in the industry...well, when somebody goes out of their way to cause trouble for me, I'm sorry homie, but I have no choice but to hate them.

Incidentally, most of the stuff you're saying he's being a "hater" about is fact! It's FACT that leon said "everyone knows it's real now so we don't have to anymore" regarding the phone calls for fans. It's FACT that his site sucks ass now...surely if you're a paying members, you can't be happy with the fact that all you've been getting for the past few months are free mailbags. Honestly, pretty much everything that was said in that post you quoted is FACT. Call him or me a "hater" if you want...I'm cool with that....but don't be a blind follower...at least do some research on the person you're attempting to defend.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(hiHATERS @ Jul 29 2008, 10:40 AM) [snapback]397905[/snapback]

AHAHAHAHAHA Is this Greg? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Fucking FAG!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.