Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gomez thinks he can win.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Warlord
Just got finished reading Kevin Iole's piece on the upcoming Cotto/Gomez fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AvLn...o&type=lgns

It just reminded me of the scene from Rocky, when Apollo's trainer tell's Apollo that Rocky "Doesn't know it's a joke. He thinks it's a damn fight!" laugh.gif

I am equally reminded of a scene in The Last Samurai where Colonel Bagley remarks that "The son of a bitch thinks he can win" when Katsumoto and company show up to fight at the last battle. (Which is followed by the most epic fight scene in movie history.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, it made me feel kind of bad after reading that. Gomez is a good kid, and he might get hurt bad in this fight, but he's got a huge heart and huge balls, and he is doing something most men are too afraid to do; he's daring to be great.

So maybe, for a few days, we can all forget this kid was on The Contender, and maybe just remind ourselves of the fact that he's an underdog stepping up big time with nothing but hopes and dreams to back him up. Win or lose, I think he deserves all the respect in the world for taking a fight he knows he isn't supposed to win, yet continues to train and work his ass off anyway. That's everything beautiful about the fight game. Good luck kid. You're gonna need it.
rusty_trombone
no none ever said he was a bright lad
gods son
then whats the point of training your balls off if you have no chance? lol
Gomez has a chance..land the first dirty blow thumbsup_anim.gif
JD
Alphonso Gomez has a lot of heart and was trading punches with middleweights not that long ago.

No, he is not fighting someone he is on the same level as - but he is coming to win, and will make it entertaining for as long as he can stand up to the onslaught. I give the dude credit for looking to extend his career, and make a name for himself based upon accomplishments, not a TV show. Sure, he could fight no-hopers and make pretty good money doing so, but he wants to really see how good he can be.

Yeah, Cotto is going to put it on him, but at least we know he is coming to fight.
thehype
Well I actually think he CAN win.

WILL he win?

That's a different story...but he certainly CAN win. I've seen boxers with far lesser skills than Gomez beat boxers with greater skills than Cotto.

I'm not picking Gomez to win, but I wouldn't make him the 50-1 underdog that some people are making him out to be.
WolfishPromistah
If you've gotta have someone believe in you, you be the one to do it.

But I am seriously kinda hoping that Gomez loses, mostly, being as the bigger fight will be against Margarito and Cotto, especially provided Margarito handles things as / more impressively against Cintron this time 'round. We know that dependable Mexican / Puerto-Rican support is gonna be way up high-off the radar strong. When folks from those two places fight, you're guaranteed the fun of love for the hype can possibility outdo the actual fight, though most times I think things equal out well enough. And one thing's for sure about that "Cotto to Margarito show" -- it will make its share of good money...guaranteed.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I actually really hope Gomez wins. Gomez is extremely marketable, and has a name already on the Contender. Like someone already said he's been exchanging punches with a supermiddleweight in Manfredo. Manfredo ain't all that bad of a boxer either. I don't see Cotto overwhelming Gomez in this fight, and I actually see Gomez being fairly competitive. Against Gatti, he showed a nice jab, and a nice one two. Cotto can be hit, so who knows. It's not all that far fetched to think Gomez has a shot in this fight
Mean Mister Mustard
If you are going to step into the ring against Cotto you better have a strong belief in yourself, because after taking 3 or 4 rounds of punishment from Cotto you are going to need it.

I like Gomez, the guy's got heart. Remember in the Contender he was considered the weakest link and he chose to fight the guy nobody wanted to tackle. So we know Gomez will put up a good fight.
Eaner0919
well damn what do you want him to say?

"well I am at best a fringe contender with nothing that really stands out and I go life and death with Jesse Feliciano so no I really have no chance"

????
oozemcbuck
the only thing i hope is that gomez don't end up like vargas after the trinidad fight. a fight like this could affect him for life. gomez already's talking kinda slow a bit, and his face always looks swollen. i hope they picked a cautious ref for this one.
Bazooka Limon
This proves why gomez will win
Warlord
QUOTE(thehype @ Apr 5 2008, 10:05 AM) [snapback]385096[/snapback]
Well I actually think he CAN win.

WILL he win?

That's a different story...but he certainly CAN win. I've seen boxers with far lesser skills than Gomez beat boxers with greater skills than Cotto.

I'm not picking Gomez to win, but I wouldn't make him the 50-1 underdog that some people are making him out to be.

Anybody can win on any given night, and I wouldn't be SHOCKED if Gomez pulled off the upset.

I just kind of wanted to flush some of that "Fuck Gomez, he was a reality star who doesn't belong in the same ring with Cotto" kind of talk down the toilet.

As for the people saying Gomez deserves no credit for taking this fight or training his ass off, just remember he could've done what a billion other fighters from all walks of life have done before. (Ken Shamrock, Bruce Seldon I'm looking at you.) He could've just shown up for the pay day and went home.
D-MARV
I give credit to Gomez for Having heart!!! I wish more fighters had his heart. I think Gomez is a really good fighter and can be trouble for some of the top welterweights. But In my mind he has run into an elite fighter who is head and shoulders above him!
I see this fight going a little like the Torres-Cotto fight. Gomez will have his moments early and possibly rock Cotto! but at the end of the day Cotto's body work will be too much for the kid. I find it hard to see this fight going past 6 rounds.
Give me Cotto by 6th round TKO

P.S
Give me Cintron by a Shocking SD over Tony "Everybody is a afriad of me" Margarito
BoxingStill#1
Like Ive stated before,,,,,,,this fight does not ride on what gomez can do....but what Cotto will come to do.......Cotto will decide his own fate come this weekend........
Warlord
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Apr 7 2008, 12:04 AM) [snapback]385295[/snapback]
Like Ive stated before,,,,,,,this fight does not ride on what gomez can do....but what Cotto will come to do.......Cotto will decide his own fate come this weekend........

Agreed.
Douchebag
Cotto built his record on fighters like Gomez. Unless Cotto goes in there unfocused he should make easy work of Alfonso. Say what you want but you got to give Gomez his props for even taking this fight, but he is in for beating.
moscow bear
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 7 2008, 11:47 AM) [snapback]385302[/snapback]
Cotto built his record on fighters like Gomez. Unless Cotto goes in there unfocused he should make easy work of Alfonso. Say what you want but you got to give Gomez his props for even taking this fight, but he is in for beating.

props to Gomez? should i also give props to Forbes for taking the DLH fight?
Douchebag
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Apr 7 2008, 09:02 AM) [snapback]385304[/snapback]
props to Gomez? should i also give props to Forbes for taking the DLH fight?

Both will most likely lose but only one of them is in for a beating and that is why I give him props for it. If you choose not to that is your perogotive my slavic friend. next.
moscow bear
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 7 2008, 01:19 PM) [snapback]385305[/snapback]
Both will most likely lose but only one of them is in for a beating and that is why I give him props for it. If you choose not to that is your perogotive my slavic friend. next.

LOL Salva is this you?
Tha Docta
i would be surprised if cotto trained as hard for a gomez fight as he does for a shane mosley. and i think thats gonna make this a decent fight. i dont think there is any argument about who is the better fighter here. gomez seems to have gained some confidence so this could be interesting.
CreDog
I hope so!!! They ain't playing shuffleboard.

Gomez is a tough kid and I hope he's making decent coin, but all things being considered I don't think he has the skill set to beat Cotto... I do think it will be a very entertaining scrap and that's all you can ask for.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.