Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dana White won't allow Silva-Jones Jr. fight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
Although preliminary discussions are underway for a boxing match between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and boxing champion Roy Jones Jr., UFC president Dana White would not permit the fight to happen if terms are reached.

White, who would have veto power over such an event because of Silva’s contract with the UFC, made the comments to Dave Meltzer in the print edition of Wrestling Observer.

The potential fight has been discussed since last month’s UFC 82 event, when Silva mentioned that he’d welcome the challenge.

Last month NBCSports.com quoted a Don King Productions representative who said talks were ongoing and that the 39-year-old Jones, owns a career boxing mark of 52-4 with 38 knockouts, was interested in the bout. Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, also confirmed their interest in the fight to various media outlets.

However, according to Meltzer, White told Silva’s camp essentially to quit talking about the fight since it won’t be permitted.

The fight would have required Silva to get a boxing license because it would be an official bout, not an exhibition.

Silva owns a 1-1 career boxing record compared to a 21-4 mark (including 6-0 in the UFC) in MMA.

Jones won titles in the middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight classes before defeating John Ruiz for the WBA heavyweight championship in 2003. He was named the Boxing Writers Association of America’s “Fighter of the Decade” for the 1990s, and he held the WBC, WBA, IBF, IBO, NBA, WBF, and IBA light heavyweight championships at the same time.

The fight was always a longshot since the UFC stood to have its most dominant champ defeated by an aging boxer star. Additionally, there would have been the risk of injury, potentially putting the UFC’s 185-pound title on hold.

However, the fight could have netted Silva and Jones millions of dollars.
Douchebag
Dana's Scurred
Spyder
I was actually really intrigued to see this...not so much for the action, but because I'd like to see how far Roy has fallen.

I mean, in his prime, the fight would've been reminicent of Roy Jones-Richard Hall...now that I think about it, why not just rematch that bout!

thumbsup_anim.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE(Spyder @ Apr 7 2008, 06:34 PM) [snapback]385355[/snapback]
I mean, in his prime, the fight would've been reminicent of Roy Jones-Richard Hall...now that I think about it, why not just rematch that bout!

In Roy's Prime this fight would have been reminicent of a 30 second destruction...

Now, this fight would have been reminicent of Jones-Hall.

Good Move Dana, I wouldn't set my fighters up like that either.
rusty_trombone
i'm sure he wouldn't have a problem sanctioning this as a UFC fight, where he could take all of the profits from it/
kidbazooka1
I don't blame Dana for not wanting the fight but sh*t you gotta give Silva credit for willing to step inside a boxing ring with someone the caliber of Jones despite his decline.
Byrd Man
there's really no upside for Silva to do this.

While I don't pretend to know ANYTHING about MMA/UFC/whatever, as I don't care for it at all, I can't imagine a scenario that would do anything positive for them.

Possible outcomes.

1. Silva pounds Jones Jr. into oblivion.

Result: So what? Jones Jr. was/is regarded as past his prime, nothing close to resembling what he was. This whole idea is seen (at least to me) as a last grasp at a big payday, and is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

2. Silva wins but gets injured.

Result: Thats's a big financial loss for UFC/MMA and Silva himself as it delays any matches that were going to be made for him.

3. RJJ wins.

Result: Horrible for the MMA/UFC. Just about everyone already knows that at boxing fights, the boxers will win almost every time, and at the UFC/MMA fights, the other guy will win almost all the time.

However if Jones, who see #1 for the perception of him, is able to beat Silva, what does that do for Silva? This is a travesty for them that a past his prime boxer who couldn't avoid being knocked the fuck out by Glen Johnson just walked in and beat down one of their top guys.

So....I don't see a benefit for the MMA/UFC to do this.
hardhead
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Apr 7 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]385358[/snapback]
i'm sure he wouldn't have a problem sanctioning this as a UFC fight, where he could take all of the profits from it/

BINGO.

Such a shame for Silva that he couldn't get paid. Dana's a crook, believe that, i give him his credit for some of things he's done with the UFC up to this point but thing is, competition is heating up for those dollars in the MMA world and old boy is feeling some heat...
Tha Docta
this fight would have given silva a ton of visibility. he would make alot more money than he makes in the ufc as well. dana might have built up the ufc but he still doesnt pay his fighters shit. i think the ufc's days are numbered and eventually they will just become a promotional company. i cannot even stand to look at dana anymore, the guy is a douche bag.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Apr 7 2008, 05:55 PM) [snapback]385358[/snapback]

Thats exactly it. He wont get the most money so there is no way its going to happen. Even an old Jones walks through Silvia in a boxing match. But in an MMA match Silvia walks through Jones.
Spyder
I wonder how much money it would take for Dana to allow Silva to fight...

Probably more than the fight would make, since the UFC pockets him around $20m a ppv. rolleyes.gif
stateofthegame
I think Dana is handling this all wrong. The reason he will not allow it is because when Jones destroys Silva, the mediocre MMA fans that are always talking Boxing vs MMA will have gained fuel for their arguments, even though it is two totally different sports.

If I was Dana I would negotiate the deal, but I would place a stipulation that if Jones wins then Roy would have to face Silva in a UFC/MMA fight. Then when King and Jones turn it down, Dana can say he was negotiating the contract and they pulled out.

Tha Docta
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Apr 8 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]385461[/snapback]
I think Dana is handling this all wrong. The reason he will not allow it is because when Jones destroys Silva, the mediocre MMA fans that are always talking Boxing vs MMA will have gained fuel for their arguments, even though it is two totally different sports.

If I was Dana I would negotiate the deal, but I would place a stipulation that if Jones wins then Roy would have to face Silva in a UFC/MMA fight. Then when King and Jones turn it down, Dana can say he was negotiating the contract and they pulled out.

ive never really understood the argument about whos better, a boxer or an mma fighter. i saw a ken shamrock interview where he said an mma fighter would kill a boxer in a straight up fight. really ken, how bout if i start the fight off with a quick headbutt and finish you by gouging your eyeballs out?? both sports have rules to follow. if a boxer fights by mma rules he loses, and vice versa.

if dana was compensated and was confident that silva would win he would do it in a heartbeat. but he knows that if silva gets ko'd that its gonna look bad for the ufc.
Warlord
Dana White (whom I despise) is smart to keep this from happening. Anderson Silva is one of the top P4P MMA fighters in the world who has almost no chance to win a boxing match against Roy Jones, and has every chance of getting himself seriously injured. Furthermore, the PR damage for an MMA fighter to lose to a professional boxer would be huge, regardless of circumstances.

Every pro-pro-boxing queer would use Roy's victory as an excuse to say MMA fighters suck ass, the same way pro-MMA queers would use a Silva victory in the octagon as a way to tout their sport as the dominant force. When the simple truth of the matter is that these are two different sports, and matching these vastly different fighters together would be just about as gay as putting an NBA player one-on-one with an NFL player in order to show how much greater NBA athletes are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.