Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about unification
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
Supposing Vitali somehow shocks the world and beats Peter, and then Vitali and Wlad are both champs. Suppose that the other belts get taken by one of the two, and then all the sanctioning belts are held by either Vitali or Wlad.

At that point, you know that there is no chance of a unification because they've both stated they refuse to fight each other because it would make their mother cry or some shit.

If that happened, why wouldn't a sanctioning body just step in and strip one or both of them of their titles if they refuse to fight a mandatory unification?

I think everyone would agree a Unification would be in the best interest of Boxing, and if these two are standing in the way of that, why not strip them?

Boxers have been stripped before for not fighting a mandatory. Lennox Lewis refused to fight Chris Byrd and gave up his belt. Riddick Bowe refused to fight Lewis and famously threw the belts into a trash can.

So what would prevent the sanctioning bodies (as well respected and morally upright as they ARE lol), from stepping in and saying "either you two fight each other by six months time, or you're both stripped of your belts. I say BOTH because both of them have refused to fight each other. It's not one of them saying they'll fight and the other refusing.

That would throw the shit back into the chaos of having four different champs again, admittedly. *shrugs*

I just don't think they should be able to get away with that if that happened. I think Peter will destroy Vitali, personally, if Vitali even makes it to fight night without being injured, but it's something I was thinking of anyway.
rusty_trombone
sanctioning bodies don't give two shits about unification, and would never order a "unification bout". as long as you fight their mandatories, and pay them their sanctioning fees, they are happy. also, sanctioning bodies will not rank other champions.

they would rather have multiple champions, becuase it is easier for them to enforce their mandatories if their champ only has one belt.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Apr 7 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]385369[/snapback]
Supposing Vitali somehow shocks the world and beats Peter, and then Vitali and Wlad are both champs.

Vitali beating Peter is far from a shocker.
Vitali staying healthy enough to fight Peter is the Shocker.

Besides I dont think Wlad is feeling the idea of them both holding the titles. His last interview he was talking like he wants to be the only champ!
JD
A couple things.

1. Vitali beating Samuel Peter would not shock me in the least.

2. Sanctioning bodies do not mandate unification. They only mandate that you fight their mandatory challenger in a given period of time.

In short...what Rusy and Marvelous said...sort of.
Byrd Man
yeah I fucked up a bit on that one. lol
Warlord
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Apr 7 2008, 07:42 PM) [snapback]385369[/snapback]
Supposing Vitali somehow shocks the world and beats Peter, and then Vitali and Wlad are both champs.

Supposing? I think Vitali would be, and should be, the favorite if he ever makes it to the ring with Peter. I think, as others have stated, the only shocker would be if Vitali made it to fight night without getting hurt.

I think Peter will destroy Vitali, personally.

Seriously? He couldn't even destroy Vitali's weak-chinned brother. How is he going to destroy Vitali, whose proven to have a damn good beard in his career.

Some of you guys are letting your hate for the Klits cloud your vision. Though I can understand why Chris Byrd fans feel the way they do. Byrd had his career effectively ended at the hands of Vitali's younger brother.
Douchebag
Vitali has been inactive and is not as skilled as Wlad. Peter KO's Vitali and he is on my fantasy boxing squad.
BrutalBodyShots
I'd take Vitali over Peter, but Peter could punch Vitali's eye off and get a stoppage as well.

Warlord
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 11 2008, 10:00 AM) [snapback]385709[/snapback]
Vitali has been inactive and is not as skilled as Wlad. Peter KO's Vitali and he is on my fantasy boxing squad.

Your fantasy boxing squad sucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.