Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto will replace his uncle as trainer..
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PR316
Not good stuff before such an important fight. Not that I think he'll be upset because of it, but the timing is bad here. Its been well known in Puerto Rico that Miguel has had constant conflicts with his uncle. Here's the link... http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/b...o_camino/388747 I know some of you don't understand Spanish but there it is..

Rumors are that Buddy McGirt could be Cotto's new trainer.
JD
I read this was nonsense and he was sticking with his uncle.
salvador
"such an important fight"???????????????

If there was a time to be careless, this is it. Gomez is an amateur. This won't last 3 rounds. Hell, Cotto could put Buddy McGirt in as his trainer and still win.
PR316
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 9 2008, 02:36 AM) [snapback]385476[/snapback]
I read this was nonsense and he was sticking with his uncle.

USUALLY.... El Nuevo Dia is pretty reliable. But if it is nonsense then better for Cotto.

On the contrary,salvador, its these fights that can side track a fighter. Cotto is starting to get to that point where he won't be motivated for every fight. He's champion now, he's made alot of money, and won a couple of big fights just recently. Being complacent can beat ANY fighter. It doesn't matter who you are.
Imperius3
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 8 2008, 11:36 PM) [snapback]385486[/snapback]
I think it depends on the fighter. Someone like Hopkins and Mayweather are motivated for every fight and don't take anyone lightly, and then there are others that can take these fights lightly. We will soon find out about what Cotto is like when he takes some lesser fighters, but he doesn't strike me as the type that will take short cuts leading up to a fight. We will see though.

I agree. And I also bet most great fighters care more about glory than money. To win honor and glory on the field of battle is one of the greatest feelings a fighter can have.
Douchebag
I'm probably the biggest Cotto fan on this site and I got to say that I don't like this at all. Gomez is coming in this fight to win and on paper he shouldn't last more than 6 rounds with Cotto, but this is exactly the type shit that happens before a big upset. I just hope Cotto has prepared himself physically and is coming into this fight in seek and destroy mode.
oozemcbuck
i remember when jose cotto was fighting the chinese ( or maybe taiwanese) guy in salinas, p.r. miguel was at ringside, and jose and evangelista were arguing in the middle of a round. jose even refused to sit on the stool until his uncle was removed from the corner !!! that led to miguel and uncle to argue at ringside. this was about a month before the judah fight. some disfunctional shit is definetly goin on over there. as long as cotto don't sleep on gomez, he could win with just his cutman in the corner. i think cotto said before that his uncle is trying to take too much credit, like he's the one that fights in the ring. don't get me wrong, trainers deserve a lot of credit, but there is a line.
oozemcbuck
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 9 2008, 09:38 AM) [snapback]385508[/snapback]
I'm probably the biggest Cotto fan on this site and I got to say that I don't like this at all. Gomez is coming in this fight to win and on paper he shouldn't last more than 6 rounds with Cotto, but this is exactly the type shit that happens before a big upset. I just hope Cotto has prepared himself physically and is coming into this fight in seek and destroy mode.

by the way, you have manfredo, j. estrada, and godfrey on your fantasy squad ??? are you from providence ?!? LOL !! ( no spina ?!?)
Douchebag
QUOTE(oozemcbuck @ Apr 9 2008, 01:13 PM) [snapback]385525[/snapback]
by the way, you have manfredo, j. estrada, and godfrey on your fantasy squad ??? are you from providence ?!? LOL !! ( no spina ?!?)

Yup, I got to rep the Providence guys. So far they are doing good this year. Estrada is 2-0, Manfredo 1-0, and Godfrey 0-1 but he should get that one back. I think Godfrey actually has the most upside out of the three eventhough he took that "L".

Sorry to say, but I have very little confidence in Spina. He would have gotten KTFO on Friday if that Canadian guy had any power.
mexboxing
Yeah I remember watching the fight where his brother Jose Cotto was arguing and pretty much mushed his face lol. Theres no doubt about it, his uncle is a good trainer, who led him to pure victories so far. But you can't go wrong with Buddy, although Buddy might not be suited for Cotto, as he uses the term "shake and bake" to train his fighters, to being more boxers than sluggers. Slugging has made Cotto who he is, but good luck to Cotto, hope all works out for him.
oozemcbuck
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 9 2008, 02:11 PM) [snapback]385537[/snapback]
Yup, I got to rep the Providence guys. So far they are doing good this year. Estrada is 2-0, Manfredo 1-0, and Godfrey 0-1 but he should get that one back. I think Godfrey actually has the most upside out of the three eventhough he took that "L".

Sorry to say, but I have very little confidence in Spina. He would have gotten KTFO on Friday if that Canadian guy had any power.

small world, i'm from prov, too. and you're right, matt has the most promise. he needs to be agrressive, cuz he got mad skills AND power. jason doesn't have any power so he won't get too far. peter, he knocks out tomato cans, like he should, but against opponents a notch better, he flops. not quite championship material, but not quite a bum either. and spina needs to get off the dope and quit boxing. he was horrible friday. brinkley would kill him in a rematch...
PR316
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 9 2008, 04:36 AM) [snapback]385486[/snapback]
I think it depends on the fighter. Someone like Hopkins and Mayweather are motivated for every fight and don't take anyone lightly, and then there are others that can take these fights lightly. We will soon find out about what Cotto is like when he takes some lesser fighters, but he doesn't strike me as the type that will take short cuts leading up to a fight. We will see though.

Well in Hopkins case he had no choice but to remain hungry because for a while, it did look like he may not have gotten some of the big fights he was looking for. If B-Hop would have lost his title to someone like Robert Allen because he under trained or underestimated him, then it would have been VERY HARD for B-Hop to have gotten the big fights because nobody would have wanted to fight him then. But like the true great ones, his physical conditioning and MENTAL APPROACH to every fight along with his discipline outside the ring is what keeps him on top these days even at 43.

Miguel Cotto is from Caguas, where I was born and raised for the first 19 years of my life. It is well known that Miguel loves to drink, eat, and party hard. He's known to come to camp about 30 pounds over weight at times and I have it on good word that he wasn't well trained for his fight against Chop Chop Corley, amongst a few other fights. His reputation for having a crazy night life is well known.

And he is rich now and a big time celebrity in Puerto Rico. Thats what I mean by him being at that point now. Hopefully he doesn't blow it against a guy he shouldn't lose to.
Boxingjunkie
Bringing Buddy in is probably a good idea. If he came in now he could work with Cotto and teach him some new stuff without having to worry about it being a big fight. Even on a bad night I cant see Gomez beating Cotto, so why not go in and try something new.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 9 2008, 09:38 AM) [snapback]385508[/snapback]

I couldnt agree more......
RealPuya
Why FIX what is not BROKEN???

He should stay with his uncle friends.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.