Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto -VS- Gomez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Imperius3
We don't have one one of these up yet so I thought I'd start one.

Gomez is a warrior, but I think Cotto is gonna brutalize him. Cotto is the overall better fighter. Better timing, faster, more accurate, and powerful. The fight will start off with Cotto being cautious, sticking Gomez with his jab while nailing him with well timed straights and hooks. When Cotto establishes the body shots, that is when we will see Gomez get hurt. Gomez will get wobbled, and then we will see Cotto press the action more, pinning Gomez against the ropes, and then beating him down. Gomez will fire back, but it will be futile against Cotto's onslaught. Gomez' heart carries him to the 9th, but I think it stops there.

Cotto TKO 9
JD
Cotto TKO 10...but Gomez is not as soft of a touch as many are making him out to be.
BigG
I got Cotto by 7th round TKO...

Gomez is a tough guy with good skills but I just think he's out of his league here. Cotto's gonna break him down.

treyes7123
Logic says Cotto, but my wallet says Gomez....Gomez!!!!
Titlebelt
Cotto KO 7
salvador
QUOTE(treyes7123 @ Apr 12 2008, 01:17 AM) [snapback]385785[/snapback]
Logic says Cotto, but my wallet says Gomez....Gomez!!!!

you must have a pretty thin wallet!
Imperius3
So far:

9 people for Cotto

8 people for Gomez

3 people for a draw or other.

Kinda surprised by that. I was expecting a landslide for Cotto. I'd like to hear what those voting for Gomez have to say. Not that I think their pick is ridiculous or anything. I'm honestly interested.

The CEO
yeah...this poll is unexpectedly close...

Gomez has one of those Yori Boy Campas sized heads....making it an appealing and easy target for Cotto to pound on....just watch...poor Gomez' face is gonna be on swoll.

Cotto by TKO or KO.
EpTXCHAMP
Must be alot of contender fans voting for Gomez, I just cant see Gomez pulling this one out. I this cotto starts wearing him down by the 6th and winning by KO in the 10th
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm expecting Gomez to survive and make it the full 12 rounds.
streetlion1
gomez folds by round 8-9 due to the punishment! I do expect him to make the first couple rounds interesting though.
Method
Cintron vs. Margarito - Give me Margarito by TKO or clear UD. I am of the opinion that you never shake the kind of of a$$ whupping that Margarito laid on Cintron the first time...it only happens in movies like the Karate Kid, with a trainer like Miyagi. Well, friends, I'm gonna go ahead and say what intelligent hard-core boxing fans all over the web have been cordially discussing behind the scenes for a couple of years now - Emmanuel Stewart is one of the most overrated trainers in the game today. Let me repeat: EMMANUEL STEWART IS ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED TRAINERS IN THE GAME TODAY. Wow! Didn't that feel good? Glad to finally get that off my chest. It's like the cartoon where Yosemite Sam gets his thumb drilled with a hammer, and has to run out of town so he can scream it at the top of his lungs (c'mon, you have all seen it). I mean, enough with the whistling past the graveyard. We don't work for HBO. We don't have to tow the company line. This guy is overrated. Apologies go out to Doug Fisher, whose boxing insight and opinions I respect (and mostly agree with), and who recently handed it to one of his mail bag readers who was a little too critical of Motor City Mechanic. I am not saying Manny sucks as a trainer. I am saying he's not as good as he gets credit for, and I personally find it offensive how quick he is to dismiss any responsibility for any of his fighters' performances (but I'll save that for another discussion). I enjoy watching Kermit Cintron. He's going to be better than most of the guys he comes up against, and, let's face it, it's fun to watch the guy connect on a fully extended punch, because he can crack. That said, I believe that Antonio Margarito is on another level, and, hopefully, on a mission to prove himself worthy of some of the lofty credit a lot fight fans give him. Margarito is too tough. Too strong. Too seasoned. If Cintron can go the distance with Margarito, he'll consider that a psychological victory much like Roy Jones was all gitty about in his rubber match with Tarver. Unlike Tarver in that rubber match though, Margarito is a finely conditioned athlete, and Cintron is without his past conditioners. I think Margarito stops him or clearly UD's him.

Gomez vs. Cotto - Give me Miguel Cotto in a UD (call it 8-4, likely 9-3 or body shot stoppage). I think Gomez will be game, and show some flashes of real competitiveness, but ultimately Cotto will impose his will and his skill. Theoretically this is a fight that should have never been made, but I believe Gomez will leave us saying, "you know, it really wasn't as bad a match up as I thought it was going to be". I personally haven't been paying too much attention to what's been going on in Cotto's camp, but hopefully he's maintained focus and has actually trained to win this one as easily as he's expected to, because I wouldn't close the door on him having to dig down, otherwise.

Woods vs. Tarver - I'll take Antonio Tarver via Competitive UD (7-5, but I don't discount Tarver stopping Woods with something he doesn't see coming somewhere in the mid to later rounds). Personally, I have never been that high on Woods (not that I am accusing any of my US contemporaries of that very crime). It's just tough to get behind the story of a recovering alcoholic who picked up boxing to get rid of the beer belly. That should be MY story...NOT the story of a legit light heavyweight champion. Kidding aside (I wasn't kidding about never being that high on Woods), I know Woods is both game and busy, but it looks to me as if Antonio Tarver is in shape for this one, and has a chip on both shoulders. He's looked less than impressive in his last two outings, and at the ripe old age of 39, I think he realizes that from this point forward he is on borrowed time, and need$ to make every $second count (note the dollar signs). He loses here, for all intents and purposes, he can throw a retirement party for one. Woods and Johnson went back and forth for a few fights, so I expect this one to be competitive, but, I think Tarver edges the game Woods out, and it would not surprise me to see Tarver catch Woods with some kind of counter to end it inside the distance. Wouldn't bank on the stoppage, but wouldn't be surprised.

Dawson vs. Johnson - Look, I'm excited about the fact that my peers, the one's whose opinions I respect, are excited about Bad Chad. I'm sure my man George (yeah, YOU, BigGeorge) is throwing darts trying to decide which Dawson picture to use as his Sunday morning avatar. I think Chad Dawson has a future ahead of him, but I think this is a stiffer test than most realize. Chad looks to be the deal, but Glen Johnson is a tough, gritty SOB. I'm gonna go against the grain here and pick Johnson by UD, or, even go further out on that limb limb *sound of cracking branch* and cite the possibility of Dawson being stopped late. Glenn is a work horse in the gym. Like Tarver, this is Glen's last stand. He loses this one, he two can throw a retirement party for one (he and Tarver both lose they could make it a dinner date). This is Chad Dawson's test. Glenn Johnson has been in there with some of the best, and he's hung tough and even beaten some of the best. Dawson's been down. I see Glen digging in and winning a competitive 7-5 UD, taking some heavy fire in the process. If Chad gasses down the stretch, I think you might see Glenn come on late, either sealing the deal for him or causing the ref to stop it.

A Parlay to consider: Being a probability/number's guy by trade, I'm not big on parlays (given the odds of it all). That said, there are certain circumstances that call for taking the other side of a situation where the chips appear to be stacked against you, especially if it doesn't require too much of a risk. Consider the following 4 fight parlay: Taking Margarito, Cotto, Tarver and Johnson (yes, JOHNSON) pays about 9-1. It's really not outlandish to think that Johnson could out point Bad Chad, and laying $100 to take in $919, or $50 to win ~$460 is not that much of a out lay for a nice little payoff if it hits.

Enjoy the fights, gentlemen.

JB
BoxingStill#1
Good night for boxing......

Cotto by late TKO.........He has every tool to beat gomez.......Only thing is his chin is still in question...my thoughts are if Mosely could'nt do it....Gomez is 'light work' in comparison
The Original MrFactor
Cotto by disputed decision...

What if Gomez wins??? Will Margarito fight him next or will he call out Mayweather/DLH winner?? Would Tony get a pass if he said Fuck it, I'ma fight Ricky Hatton??

Or...

Should Tony go after the Judah/Mosley winner??
J1GG
Landslide like I thought LOL that was a kid fighting a man. He got destroyed period in the 4th or 5th that body shot demolished him lol you should of seen his facial expression after that he wobbled to the floor LIKE nea.gif was like a sparring session for him margirito will get the works too cintron fought an super ugly fight point blank
Douchebag
I will say it right now. If Cotto comes in with the same mind set of this fight with Gomez, he will decisively beat Margarito.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 13 2008, 12:14 AM) [snapback]385953[/snapback]
I will say it right now. If Cotto comes in with the same mind set of this fight with Gomez, he will decisively beat Margarito.

Trouble is, THAT was Gomez, not Margarito. Margarito is a much more polished guy. Gomez looked like an amateur in there tonight. Margarito wont be getting hit like that and not returning fire. When he does, Cotto will have to feel some heat from the BIGGEST guy he's faced thus far. Cotto looked very agile and athletic tonite. It was like watching Jason Kidd play 1 on 1 up to ten against Prince Markie D. Fighting Margarito will be like Kidd vs Larry Bird.

Tony is slow but deceptively very good...
Douchebag
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Apr 13 2008, 12:32 AM) [snapback]385965[/snapback]
Trouble is, THAT was Gomez, not Margarito. Margarito is a much more polished guy. Gomez looked like an amateur in there tonight. Margarito wont be getting hit like that and not returning fire. When he does, Cotto will have to feel some heat from the BIGGEST guy he's faced thus far. Cotto looked very agile and athletic tonite. It was like watching Jason Kidd play 1 on 1 up to ten against Prince Markie D. Fighting Margarito will be like Kidd vs Larry Bird.

Cotto beats him with skill, mark my words.
EpTXCHAMP
I agree with the mind set. Interesting that lampley said cotto said he has more confidence now that he has beaten mosley.
I believe any time you beat two good class A fighters It should do wonders for your confidence cotto looked loose from the get go before gomez even hit him. So cotto haters cant say he was confident and had a different mind set cause gomez couldnt hurt him!
Cotto fought with this new confidene and mind set from the opening bell
Imperius3
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Apr 12 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]385965[/snapback]
It was like watching Jason Kidd play 1 on 1 up to ten against Prince Markie D. Fighting Margarito will be like Kidd vs Larry Bird.

Larry Bird is one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Are you saying Margarito is one of the greatest boxers of all time? You can NOT say that.

This is the kind of shit that riles me up. Please tell me we don't have to hear all this bullshit all over again. Just when I thought it died away.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Apr 13 2008, 01:09 AM) [snapback]385983[/snapback]
Larry Bird is one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Are you saying Margarito is one of the greatest boxers of all time? You can NOT say that.

This is the kind of shit that riles me up. Please tell me we don't have to hear all this bullshit all over again. Just when I thought it died away.

Wow... didnt mean to rile you. It was really a commentary on speed and deceptiveness. It wasnt really a commentary on Larry Bird's place in NBA history. I'm not really understanding what BS you claim to hear all over again.
The Original MrFactor
Forgot to mention as an aside from one of my previous posts from above....

IF Gomez would have beaten Cotto, Mayweather would have fought Gomez...
BoxingStill#1
Mayweather was hoping Cotto would have atleast had a tough time with Gomez so he could further the argument that he has "nothing to prove."

Two fighters are in line to show that PBF does in fact "have something to prove".....Margartio and Cotto.........

If PBF were to take a fight (which he already has turned down) with Tony, it would be much like the Costio fight.

If he were to take the fight with Cotto, it would be much more damaging.......

Overall its hard to accurately say if either of these fighters would actually win over PBF.........but I would pay to see both......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.