Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which fighter do you prefer?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The CEO
Regardless of who you think would win between the two....I wanna know where you stand....and explain a little why if you can...

I like Cotto more because he's the better boxer and has the better resume. I appreciate his heart. I appreciate his skills and style(s) more. Simple as that...

I don't like Margarito as much as I could because of his fans that pushed him so much a while back.....when he was the guy Mayweather supposedly avoided....they ruined him for me.

I think some people are liking Margarito over Cotto because they hate Mayweather....as crazy as that sounds...due to the situation I'm referring to in the line above....(Don't get mad, JD, Meth. We boys...laugh.gif )

I also think some people will choose Margarito because they don't like that Cotto got the win over Mosley....I thought Cotto barely won that one for the record...

On a related note...I wonder if all the Puerto Rican members will select Cotto, and all the Mexicans will choose Margarito....I personally don't dig a fighter more than another because of where they're from....that being said, I'm sure there's a PR or two that want Tito to remain THE Boxing hero of the island....and so they'll pick Margarito.

Shit's deep, ain't it?

P.S.~ I might fuck this poll up...if so...I'd appreciate it if a mod or admin would straighten it out.
The CEO
Let me fix something...I NORMALLY don't dig a fighter more than another because of where they're from...because when an American faces someone from an America hatin' country....you KNOW I'm gonna go "USA! USA!! USA!!!!".
Mean Mister Mustard
You know C, you started a post that said that boxing must be hot right now because you are posting a lot but you always post lot. Hell I've been posting since 2003 before I had to change my user name and you still have more posts than me. I thought after the Hatton loss your work would have been done and you would have become one with the internet and evolve into a supermachine, kind of like the guy from 2001 A Space Odyssey. But I see the internet gods have decided to keep you here for a reason.

Regarding a future Cotto-Margarito bout, I don't know who I would root for. I am a Cotto fan, have been since I saw him before he had 10 fights whooping on hapless prospect food. But I also like Margarito. But I would like Cotto to win, because we all know Mayweather will only fight the winner of that bout and I think Cotto has a better chance to beat him than Margarito does. But either way a fight between Cotto and Margs would be fun and I would not be too upset should Margarito pull off the win.

Now go back to posting your usual 30 replies a day you nut.
The CEO
laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's some good shit, Triple M....I've always liked you....but you're misleading the people in ribbing me....doing that shit on PURPOSE....lol

I swear on all that's holy that I have NEVER consistently posted anywhere NEAR this much....my average has gone up to 4 posts/day I see....30 posts?...that HAS to be my high....credit some of them to the incredibly entertaining WEBL section....damn....30 posts?

thumbsup_anim.gif
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 13 2008, 11:13 PM) [snapback]386153[/snapback]
There is no doubt that Cotto is the superior fighter. By a big margin as well. Margarito isn't anything special, but I don't feel overly confident in Cotto winning (due to styles). At the moment I think it's a fight that can go either way. I'm not making a pick yet as I would like to think about it more. But I don't think this is the perfect style for Cotto.
By the way, in the poll I voted for Cotto, because to me he is the superior fighter.

I dont think Cotto is the superior fighter. I think he's the flashier more crowd pleasing guy. I think its a tossup as to who the superior fighter is here. Its like comparing Michael Jordan to Larry Bird. Cotto is more athletic and he does everything faster. Tony is less athletic but he's very smart in the way he deliberately walks people down.

People have really gotten down on Margarito since back when he called out Mayweather. I thought back then, he would have beaten Mayweather, although the guy is slower. Apparently speed doesnt matter to Tony because he's fought quick guys before. He's fought hard punchers. He's fought big guys. He's fought small guys. He always seems to have a high output and connect percentage. Some will bring up Williams. Even though Tony's output dropped, correct me if I'm wrong(going off memory), he still averaged around 60 punches per round.

I dont think people give Margarito enough credit. I wonder if/when he beats Cotto what everyone will say... Then, no doubt, Mayweather will still duck him.
BigG
I prefer Cotto. Both are beasts, Cotto just has better skills overall and is better to watch.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 14 2008, 01:18 AM) [snapback]386158[/snapback]
To me it is not an option to say that Margarito might be a better fighter than Cotto. Cotto is better than him in every way, but unfortunately size and chin might have the final say if they meet. But to me, it's not even close as to who is the better fighter between the two and something I won't even consider for a split second.
I think if he beats Cotto, is has come down to styles. But I definitely see it different than you, as I personally don't have to think twice on who is better between the two. But each to there own I suppose.

Please break it down for me. What makes Cotto a better fighter. Also can you actually say he's better if he loses to Margarito?

My opinion is that Cotto is the better athlete. He moves his feet better and he's faster, more athletic. Margarito maximizes his bag of tools. I think his bag of tools may be a bit more limited than Cotto's. I do think that the things Margarito does, he does extremely well. Going back to Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. While Jordan kills you with acrobatic layups and dunks. Larry Bird bombs you with 3's and consistent play. To me its a tossup as to who the superior fighter is. I think its a given that Margarito is gonna be there all night. How much will it discourage Cotto when the 10th round comes around and this guy is still relentlessly in his face bombing away at the body?

Personally I dont think it goes 10. More like 7 or 8. I'm picking Margarito by KO inside 8 rounds.
salvador
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 13 2008, 08:20 PM) [snapback]386146[/snapback]
I would like Cotto to win, because we all know Mayweather will only fight the winner of that bout and I think Cotto has a better chance to beat him than Margarito does.

I can't possibly imagine what would give you the idea that Floyd would fight either of these guys.
Douchebag
Cotto will be turning Tony and walking him into straight right hands the whole night. Easy UD.
Spyder
Haha..."I think his bag of tools may be a bit more limited than Cotto's."...

A truer statement has never been written.

laugh.gif

That is the best way to describe Antonio Margarito...limited. Throwing a lot of punches is the only way that a fighter with "limited" skills and "limited" power and "limited" speed can compete at this level. Notice that I said compete, not win.

Does anyone remember the video of Mags and Sergio Mora sparring? Yeah, that's the level that this guy is on...Sergio Mora level! Do you know who else is on Sergio Mora level?

That's right! Alfonso Gomez!! Ding Ding

This fight is going to be a highly entertaining mismatch...that has potential to turn into a brutal beating, if Mag's corner refuses to show their fighter any mercy.

Oh, I can't wait! thumbsup_anim.gif
rusty_trombone
i don't think i have to explain my pick.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 14 2008, 08:06 AM) [snapback]386173[/snapback]
Early in Cotto's career when he was still green. He was beating solid (not great) fighters like N'Dou and Corley. Then he has beaten fighters like Malignagi, Quintana (I know boxing maths isn't great, but you get the link here), Judah and Mosley. While Margarito's most notable recent performances have been a fight he looked bad against Clottey and losing against Williams. Then there is his win last night against Cintron. Which was pretty obvious and did what was expected. Cotto is still undefeated. To me I find it harder based on those facts alone to consider Margarito any better than Cotto. Margarito's best win in his career probably isn't any better than Cotto's three best wins and Cotto is just coming on now.

Alot of that is based on opportunity. I think recently margarito has taken the bigger risks. When no one would fight Williams and Clottey, he did. For the record, I think Cotto loses to both of those guys. With, say Judah and Mosley, you kinda know what you're getting. 2 years ago, Tony Margarito was in a similar position to Clottey/Williams. The Judah's, Mosleys and Mayweathers would make up excuses not to fight him. Dont get me wrong, i know economics has alot to do with it, but everyone knows that if they fight Margarito, Williams and Clottey they will be in the fight of their life.

I am only going by resume here. If I want to go with skill as well, Cotto is better than Margarito in just about every category. He has better defense, he is a technically better boxer, he is a better puncher, he is much quicker and moves around the ring a lot more comfortably. Margarito is bigger/stronger, better chin and stamina.

I think Cotto is more athletic and more conventional than Margarito. While Cotto has more athletic gifts, Margarito has more intangibles.

Also it is quite easy to say that Cotto is a better fighter than Margarito if he loses. Just like I can say that Jones is better than Tarver, Harris is better than Maussa, Tyson is better than Douglas, Mosley is better than Forrest, Forrest is better than Mayorga and Hearns is better than Barkley.
I actually agree with the rest of your post and you state the very reasons I think Margarito may be wrong for Cotto and could win. But like I said, that really doesn't equate to me thinking that Margarito is better than Cotto. Just on everything I have seen, Cotto is the much better fighter, I'm just not sure he will mesh well with Margarito in the ring.

It looks as though you are talking career/legacy vs individual matchups. Each one of those matchups above, you could say Fighter A had a much better career than Fighter B. Much of that is based on opportunity and exposure. I dont think that speaks to the actual meshing of the styles on fight nite.

I think we are on the same page regarding the fight and how Margarito can maybe win. I just don't think it equates to Margarito being just as good or a better fighter than Cotto. So far Cotto has a better resume to me and seems to beat Margarito in most skill areas. I think that's where we differ.

I think the head to head matchup is the best way to tell who is superior. The 2nd way would be how they fared against several common opponents. I dont think they have any. I agree that Cotto appears to have a very slight edge in resume too. Its my belief that if Cotto is the better fighter, he should win. They are both prime vs prime.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 13 2008, 07:27 PM) [snapback]386142[/snapback]
Regardless of who you think would win between the two....I wanna know where you stand....and explain a little why if you can...

I like Cotto more because he's the better boxer and has the better resume. I appreciate his heart. I appreciate his skills and style(s) more. Simple as that...

I don't like Margarito as much as I could because of his fans that pushed him so much a while back.....when he was the guy Mayweather supposedly avoided....they ruined him for me.

I think some people are liking Margarito over Cotto because they hate Mayweather....as crazy as that sounds...due to the situation I'm referring to in the line above....(Don't get mad, JD, Meth. We boys...laugh.gif )

I also think some people will choose Margarito because they don't like that Cotto got the win over Mosley....I thought Cotto barely won that one for the record...
On a related note...I wonder if all the Puerto Rican members will select Cotto, and all the Mexicans will choose Margarito....I personally don't dig a fighter more than another because of where they're from....that being said, I'm sure there's a PR or two that want Tito to remain THE Boxing hero of the island....and so they'll pick Margarito.

Shit's deep, ain't it?
P.S.~ I might fuck this poll up...if so...I'd appreciate it if a mod or admin would straighten it out.

Im Mexican and I am rooting for Cotto I believe he's just overall the better fighter.
The CEO
That's different....good for you, bazooka...

12 votes to 5 for Cotto is where it's at right now......I'm thinking that the ratio will be about 4 to 1 for Cotto by the time this thread is dead.
JD
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 13 2008, 07:27 PM) [snapback]386142[/snapback]

LOL...nah, I ain't that clouded.

This is all about styles for me. Technically Cotto is undeniably better...but there is more to it than that here in my opinion. This fight is going to be a great, great fight...it is also going to be a fight where each guy leaves a piece of themselves in the ring.
BrutalBodyShots
I think many are replying to this thread with a "who would win Cotto or Margarito?" view.

The CEO
You're the farthest thing from clouded, JD....

and probably so, Brutal...even though the title of it is "Which fighter do you prefer?", and the very first line of the initial post is, "Regardless of who you think would win between the two...".

There's another thread with predictions...I don't see how this one could be misconstrued....this is a popularity contest between the two...
streetlion1
Cotto is superior in every way....I think both have good chins. Cottos chin seems to have solidified since moving to 147. Its going to be intertesting to see if Margaritos can hold up in thier fight. He throws alot of wide punches and leaves himself open a little too much to win against the best body-puncher in the sport. I prefer Cotto because of his overall skill and warrior attitude.
Big Slim Sweet
I think Cotto is the better fighter and I expect him to pull out the fight. That said I'll be rooting for Margarito so I voted for him, since that's what this thread was initially asking.

I'm going to counter the whole 'I hate Margarito cause of all his fans who wouldn't stop talking about him back in the day during the Mayweather fiasco' argument. First off, fuck you bitches. LOL. Just kidding. But seriously, me, I was totally neutral on Margarito two years ago. I appreciated his style and approach to the sport but nothing more. Didn't think he was particularly special, just a tough dude who would never go down without a fight. Then Mayweather ducked him, said he wasn't worthy of a fight even though he'd been fighting less worthy opponents himself for years. Utterly hypocritical. And somehow his fans supported him on that and refused to call him on his bullshit. So I, like many others, started talking more about it, and got accused along the way of being a Margarito dickrider or the like, which I never was. But what's worse, I saw scores of fans on these boards suddenly start hating on Margarito in a way I just couldn't understand or accept. The dude is an honest warrior who wanted a crack at the best, what's to hate?

Any loooonnnng story short, the backlash against Margarito has made me a much bigger fan of his than I had ever been previously. And now I root for him big time, cause I want him to shut you all the fuck up, much as you all wanted Mayweather (and now Cotto or somebody else cause PBF is too much of a pussy to even try) to shut us up.

So, yeah, go Margarito. But I expect Cotto to beat him. And I've grown to like Cotto too, so I'll be pretty happy either way.

The CEO
laugh.gif

That was a good, honest post, Slim...but one part was a little off...Mayweather has never been liked here at FH....and he's probably the most hated boxer on the planet right now....most everyone on the board was on your side of the Margarito "ducking" incident.......out of the active posters here today, there's probably only a few that ride his jock...and a few that have him as one of their favorite fighters...

I'm one of those in the latter category...I apreciate his skills, how he's molded himself into the man you love to hate, how he's transcended the sport, and especially how he bent Hatton over in the cell and won me that green....thumbsup_anim.gif

Whether anyone likes it or not...Mayweather is one of the main reasons "Boxing is hot." at the moment...

If Mayweather and Cotto ever fight...which I'm pretty sure they will next year....I won't be rooting for anyone....I will simply want to witness an epic bout....as Spyder put it to me in a PM the other day...it could be like the Leonard-Duran of our time.

Big Slim Sweet
friends.gif

Thanks CEO. I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate PBF's skills and love to watch him fight. The dude is sick, the complete package as a boxer. I'll also concede that, like it or not - and I don't - he's managed to transcend the sport this past year and become the crossover superstar he so desperately wanted to be. He is without a doubt, as you say, one of the reasons "boxing is hot"...

But he ain't the only reason, and his little punk bitch ass thinks he is. If he talked the talk like he does but also walked the walk like he should, I'd give it up to him tenfold for being the man we love to hate. But the fact that he did duck Margarito, and the fact that he did duck Mosley (IMO), and the fact that he appears right now to be ducking Cotto too, that tells me that his bullshit is just a little bit more than an act. He doesn't want to find himself in a situation where he has to answer any tough questions. He's afraid to lose. I think the kid is hyper-insecure, and I think the last thing in the world he wants is to let the 'haters' get the last laugh on him. And for that, as great as he undoubtedly is, he'll never be one of the greats of this sport. He's not real to me. Deep down he's just a scared little kid. I can't respect that.

Cotto and Tony on the other hand, bruisers, the both of em. Gotta love these guys. The winner has a MANDATE to fight Floyd next (even if it's Tony). And if he chooses the needless rematch with Hatton instead, after this needless rematch he's got coming up with Oscar, oh my fucking God...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Apr 15 2008, 05:04 PM) [snapback]386339[/snapback]
friends.gif

Thanks CEO. I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate PBF's skills and love to watch him fight. The dude is sick, the complete package as a boxer. I'll also concede that, like it or not - and I don't - he's managed to transcend the sport this past year and become the crossover superstar he so desperately wanted to be. He is without a doubt, as you say, one of the reasons "boxing is hot"...

But he ain't the only reason, and his little punk bitch ass thinks he is. If he talked the talk like he does but also walked the walk like he should, I'd give it up to him tenfold for being the man we love to hate. But the fact that he did duck Margarito, and the fact that he did duck Mosley (IMO), and the fact that he appears right now to be ducking Cotto too, that tells me that his bullshit is just a little bit more than an act. He doesn't want to find himself in a situation where he has to answer any tough questions. He's afraid to lose. I think the kid is hyper-insecure, and I think the last thing in the world he wants is to let the 'haters' get the last laugh on him. And for that, as great as he undoubtedly is, he'll never be one of the greats of this sport. He's not real to me. Deep down he's just a scared little kid. I can't respect that.

Cotto and Tony on the other hand, bruisers, the both of em. Gotta love these guys. The winner has a MANDATE to fight Floyd next (even if it's Tony). And if he chooses the needless rematch with Hatton instead, after this needless rematch he's got coming up with Oscar, oh my fucking God...

Agree with you there.

Also, why is it that when a fighter beats a string of good contenders and 2 worthy foes all of a sudden he no longer has anything left to prove? PBF fans use that excuse but I do not agree, ovbiously. First off, Mayweather has not wiped out his main rivals. Margarito is still around, Mosley (should he beat Judah) is still worhty, Junior Witter is a threat and then the most worhty challenger: Miguel Cotto. He is still young so it is not as if he has been around forever and we have to give him a free pass.
The CEO
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Apr 15 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]386339[/snapback]
friends.gif

I'm serious when I say this....some of our members' posts should be on a Pay Per View basis...it don't have to cost too much...but they have Value.....that's just one of many exhibits above...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 15 2008, 03:27 PM) [snapback]386323[/snapback]
laugh.gif

That was a good, honest post, Slim...but one part was a little off...Mayweather has never been liked here at FH....and he's probably the most hated boxer on the planet right now....most everyone on the board was on your side of the Margarito "ducking" incident.......out of the active posters here today, there's probably only a few that ride his jock...and a few that have him as one of their favorite fighters...

I'm one of those in the latter category...I apreciate his skills, how he's molded himself into the man you love to hate, how he's transcended the sport, and especially how he bent Hatton over in the cell and won me that green....thumbsup_anim.gif

Whether anyone likes it or not...Mayweather is one of the main reasons "Boxing is hot." at the moment...

If Mayweather and Cotto ever fight...which I'm pretty sure they will next year....I won't be rooting for anyone....I will simply want to witness an epic bout....as Spyder put it to me in a PM the other day...it could be like the Leonard-Duran of our time.

Mayweather is the man that the majority of viewers hate. But in fact, he is the most skilled boxer in the enire division. Which automatically puts a target on his back. Add that with the fact he has demolished alote of fan's favorite boxers,.......Oh, and not to mention the main reason......Usually over time people want to see the top dog beat by a hungry underdog....its just sports in general........

Cotto and Mayweather would be an epic battle......but I'm not sure if Cotto could pull it off........Fight of the year potential....
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 15 2008, 05:30 PM) [snapback]386341[/snapback]
I'm serious when I say this....some of our members' posts should be on a Pay Per View basis...it don't have to cost too much...but they have Value.....that's just one of many exhibits above...

what the hell has happened to you lately? hatton getting his ass kicked has made you soft. i haven't seen any hate from you in forever.
The CEO
laugh.gif

You know that brought a smile to my face....lol...me...soft...

but I hear ya...I don't know......I'm happy I guess...been drinkin' good, smokin' good, eatin' good...even been fuckin' good....lol....just wanting to some spread good will lately.....

I have many styles, RT...I can bring more than World Class Hate ya know...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 16 2008, 12:16 AM) [snapback]386357[/snapback]
laugh.gif

You know that brought a smile to my face....lol...me...soft...

but I hear ya...I don't know......I'm happy I guess...been drinkin' good, smokin' good, eatin' good...even been fuckin' good....lol....just wanting to some spread good will lately.....

I have many styles, RT...I can bring more than World Class Hate ya know...

i had no idea you were such a............................... chameleon
The CEO
lol...is that good or bad?

I think it's good......what's up with people wantin' me to start hatin' again? I will again someday. I promise....just waiting for the perfect opportunity.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 16 2008, 03:46 PM) [snapback]386414[/snapback]
lol...is that good or bad?

I think it's good......what's up with people wantin' me to start hatin' again? I will again someday. I promise....just waiting for the perfect opportunity.

why can't you hate on margarito some more. jesus. clapping.gif
dj necrogenic
As a mexican, I feel compelled to go with Margarito, but as a fight fan, I can put aside rivalries and honestly say Miguel is the more complete fighter, Margarito I dont think is anywhere near the level of Miguel Cotto, and in a fight I fully expect Miguel to pick him apart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.