Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins VS. GSP
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Bill The Butcher
That really sucks that they put the Hopkins/Calzaghe fight and the GSP/Serra fight on the same night. I haven't really paid attention in the past, but do they do this often? I think it will hurt both sides. Because I bet some MMA fans out there might tune in on the Hopkins fight if the GSP fight wasn't going on, and vice versa. There is room for both sports, they should at least try and work around some sort of schedule where they don't have two big fights on the same night. I'm sure it is a lot more complicated with getting a date and venue lined up, but COME ON!
D-MARV
Im a 100% boxing fan so I could care less about the MMA fight, so I know where I will be. I think I know where most people will be. It ain't gonna be watching the MMA. By the way, who GSP?
STEVENSKI
Given the choice I would get the GSP PPV but that is replayed on Monday in OZ & it is still PPV!
BigG
I dont know how ANY hardcore boxing fan could pick the GSP fight over Hopkins-Calzaghe. Hops-calzaghe is one of the biggest fights in recent memory...and one of the last fights of a modern day ATG in Hopkins (Calzaghe has said that he wont be around much longer either).
Spyder
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Apr 16 2008, 08:44 AM) [snapback]386372[/snapback]
I dont know how ANY hardcore boxing fan could pick the GSP fight over Hopkins-Calzaghe. Hops-calzaghe is one of the biggest fights in recent memory...and one of the last fights of a modern day ATG in Hopkins (Calzaghe has said that he wont be around much longer either).

Yeah, but it's GSP and Matt "The Terra" Serra!

laugh.gif
Col Reb
BHOP-Cal is a no-brainer! I've been waiting for them to fight for years! One of the biggest matchups this decades.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't think HBO cares about going head to head with the UFC. Hell, they don't give a shit about Showtime either.
Elijah
Get this MMA trash outta here!

Boxing fan til the day I die!
Bill The Butcher
I'm watching the Hopkins fight too, but if they were on at different dates. Lets say a week a part, I would order the GSP/Serra fight a week later. Since I'm a boxing fan before a MMA fan. Always have been, always will be. But same could be said with MMA fans. They might tune in to this Hopkins fight if the GSP/Serra fight was on at a different day. So what I'm trying to say is, they are losing money. Both sides are reducing their viewings. I think it's stupid. Doesn't make business sense. I'm a fight fan. And I wish I could have seen both fights live. Just a little disappointed.
dj necrogenic
I have yet to watch one of those MMA shits, those are just guys who werent talented enough to be boxers
STEVENSKI
I personally like to get value for money & boxing PPV's do not represent value whatsoever.

Most UFC PPV's are balanced & have quality evenly matched fights from start to finish. Boxing PPV's have unbalanced cards & good main events by & large.

Hopkins is a ATG & I will certainly enjoy watching him fight Cal but he is a pretty boring if highly skilled fighter I just think that Serra vs GSP will represent better value overall.
kidbazooka1
With the exception of the main event the UFC card is pretty weak. Franklin vs Lutter should have been called "the battle of Anderson Silva's victims".

Im gonna go with Hopkins/Calzaghe.
BrutalBodyShots
Way back in the day, weren't UFC PPV's on Friday nights? I feel like 10 years ago I didn't have to "pick" between boxing and UFC on the same night.

Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Apr 16 2008, 04:16 PM) [snapback]386427[/snapback]
I have yet to watch one of those MMA shits, those are just guys who werent talented enough to be boxers

Well this should ruffle a few feathers. Nard and Joe all the way.
hardhead
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Apr 16 2008, 12:44 PM) [snapback]386372[/snapback]

I agree, hopkins/Calzaghe is a real Boxing fans fight. If Hopkins wins this I put him ahead of Mayweather P4P. Where do you place him as an ATG?I'm thinking best of this generation...I'm not a big ATG comparison type because I just find it pretty hard to do at times because I wasn't around andnot as knowledgeable on some past fighters...

As for the UFC cards that shit is like 10 fucking fights and 3/4ths of them look like bums off the street to me(most from the horrid last few TUF seasons), even then that shit drags on far too long for my taste, get to the fucking the main event already. It's like when I go to eat steak, I don't come to eat a bunch of salad and appetizers I want that prime rib or filet mignon coming ASAP not wait all night for it. It'll be like 1AM and there's still 3 fights left. Don't get me wrong I'm not for 50 Boxing PPV's either, and have bitched about that too but shit I don't care for 6 or 7 filler fights of dude's who couldn't spell skill.

and I like GSP and Serra I'd watch that fight for sure, they're both very good fighters, especially GSP but Hopkins/Calzaghe has me more intrigued, plus my dislike of Calzaghe. I hope Bernard whoops him Trinidad style..that would make my year really...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(hardhead @ Apr 17 2008, 01:02 AM) [snapback]386468[/snapback]
3/4ths of them look like bums off the street to me(most from the horrid last few TUF seasons),

that's because most of them are bums off the street, or ex high school wrestlers with no other place to lay on top of other men besides UFC. nothing beats getting a tiny pair of shorts on and going 'belly to back' with another finely sculpted man. wub.gif
Douchebag
I refuse to pay for any UFC PPV until they get new management and I'm more interested in the B-Hop vs. Zaghe showdown anyway.
Tha Docta
as a boxing fan i sometimes get annoyed when there are too many ppv cards, but i cant understand how the mma fans arent complaining about almost every single ufc card being on ppv. they throw the mma fans a bone about once a year on spike tv, but the rest of the cards are ppv.

of course i would rather watch the hopkins/calzaghe fight this weekend. i didnt even consider the gsp/serra fight as an option.
Mean Mister Mustard
I take it that unlike Hatton fans, who were actually complaining that there were not enough tickets available, Calzaghe fans just won't bother to travel in order to see their man fight?
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 17 2008, 09:52 AM) [snapback]386482[/snapback]
I take it that unlike Hatton fans, who were actually complaining that there were not enough tickets available, Calzaghe fans just won't bother to travel in order to see their man fight?

i would be willing to bet that alot of the tickets sold already were sold to calzaghe fans. i think mayweather has a larger fan base than hopkins as well which would explain the better turnout. while some people enjoy hopkins fights, they dont usually go out of their way to go see him fight. and im not sure how many hatton fans actually bought $1500 dollar tickets for ringside.

1500$ for ringside seats is way too much for this fight. i was thinking that ringside would go for under 1000$ for this one. this is what happens when you overplay your hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.