Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chris Byrd calls out winner of Calzaghe/Hopkins???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
Okay, everyone knows I'm a Chris Byrd apologist. Some might go so far as to label me a "nuthugger". Not so sure about THAT one, but I AM a fan. Always liked his style, his heart, his willingness to fight anyone no matter who they were or how much they outweighed him, or how much everyone figured he would get flattened.

He never ducked anyone, despite the mini-controversy with Stateofthegame's boy, and I think that may have had more to do with Don King than Byrd, because Byrd's the one who's always been ducked, not the other way around.

So that being said, I've been a bit excited over his move down to Light Heavy. Think it shoulda been done years ago (obviously), but now that it is, I think he'll have a good shot.

He's proven he can stand in and take some serious punishment by people a lot bigger and stronger than anyone that's in light heavy (and only losing to three fighters, all of them with the exception of Povetkin, outweighing him by 20+ pounds). So I don't think he's gonna really have a hard time taking shots from anyone in the light heavy division.

However it remains to be seen whether his speed and skills will hold up at the age of 37 and dropping two weight classes.

So now I hear that he's called out the winner of the Calzaghe and Hopkins fight. Personally, and this may come as a shock to a lot of you, I don't think he's ready for that fight.

At this point we don't know what the effects of dropping down is gonna be. Is he gonna be another Roy Jones Jr. who lost a lot of weight and then was sluggish for awhile after that?

Once he fights Shaun George in May I think we'll have a better view of where he stands right now. I think he'd be good against a lot of the division (damn near everyone actually) but those two top guys, I don't know....

I don't think he'd have to worry about being knocked out by anyone down there (although it definitely could happen) but I just don't know....

Can't wait to see the fight with George though. Good to have Byrd back fighting again.
JLUVBABY
no doubt byrd WILL be a major player at light heavy.... matter of fact i will go as far to say that i really dont know who really contends with him at that light of a weight... you would think he will be a lot quicker... scary for those guys at light heavy... and the punches that wasn't hurting the big super heavies he was fighting should be A LOT more effective against these smaller guys... only thing at this stage of his career that might hurt him is his age... but then again 40 looks like the new 30 in boxing these days..
buford54
It's too bad that none of them will fight him.
He's all risk, no reward for any of the belt-holders.
Maxy
QUOTE(buford54 @ Apr 18 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]386599[/snapback]
It's too bad that none of them will fight him.
He's all risk, no reward for any of the belt-holders.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Even at 37, if Bryd is comfortable at 175 he's going to be a bloody difficult proposition for anybody out there and like you said, the rewards for taking that risk won't be beneficial...
Byrd Man
I believe I said just about that exact same thing in my post. :-)
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Calling out the winner of Calzaghe-Hopkins? He still needs to beat Shaun George I believe. He's a good fighter, who's going to give Byrd a good fight. Especially at Byrd's age, he could lose this fight. I hope he's not looking too far ahead.
Blayde
Yeah I agree, I think George is a pretty good fighter who might be a serious threat for Byrd. At heavyweight Byrd was very quick. But Shaun George is a very quick Light Heavyweight who can look pretty good if hes not pressured or has to deal with hard shots. We dont know how Byrd will look at 175, will he have a much bigger punch, will he be able to use his size? If they just decide to box, I think George will be able to show some good stuff.
sweetchuck
I've always been a Byrd fan myself dating back to his USA TNF fights. I'm excited that he is going down in weight, the few times I've met him he looked too small to be a heavyweight. I've seen middleweights who drop down who looked bigger than him. I think he's a player at light heavyweight. The George fight is a good fight for him. Difficult enough for people to be impressed with a victory and it will let him know what he has left. I think cruiserweight would have been better since there are some slower fighters there, but the money seems to be at light heavyweight.

Him and Chad Dawson would be an interesting fight.
EpTXCHAMP
byrd is not relevant right now to the big names.
after a win or two maybe he can land a fight with tarver or dawson but Calz wont waste his time with roy and kelly the ghost out there.
BrutalBodyShots
It isn't even worth the time to discuss potential "Byrd vs Whoever" mythical matchups at 175 until we actually see how Byrd looks at 175.

EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 19 2008, 11:03 PM) [snapback]386868[/snapback]
It isn't even worth the time to discuss potential "Byrd vs Whoever" mythical matchups at 175 until we actually see how Byrd looks at 175.

I agree and even if he does look good he wont get much credit in alot of peoples book. he's fighting a bum who use to fight in high school gyms lol seriously byrd needs at least two wins before he can call out names like tarver, dawson and johnson
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Apr 20 2008, 04:22 AM) [snapback]386907[/snapback]
I agree and even if he does look good he wont get much credit in alot of peoples book. he's fighting a bum who use to fight in high school gyms lol seriously byrd needs at least two wins before he can call out names like tarver, dawson and johnson

byrd was a champ @ heavyweight. he's fought both klitchkos, ibeabuchi, and just about everyone else he could. he even called out lennox lewis. i think he's earned the right to call out whoever he wants. one fight should be enough to get him used to lt. heavy.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Apr 20 2008, 01:09 PM) [snapback]386987[/snapback]
byrd was a champ @ heavyweight. he's fought both klitchkos, ibeabuchi, and just about everyone else he could. he even called out lennox lewis. i think he's earned the right to call out whoever he wants. one fight should be enough to get him used to lt. heavy.

eh like I said he's really fighting a nobody but If he he's gonna use his heavyweight resume to try to get a bigger fight more power to him. However put ur self is calz shoes or even Dawsons. Are you really gonna wanna fight byrd when bigger names like Roy jones, Pavlik, Tarver are out there? he can call them out but I doubt they'll pay any attention
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Apr 20 2008, 02:09 PM) [snapback]386987[/snapback]

I think Byrds resume at heavy carries a lot of weight. Why cant he go to light heavy and call out the top guys? That how Bernard got his shot at Tarver. His legacy at middle it what got him that shot.
happygocampy
Ive always been a Byrd fan. His USA Tuesday night fights back in the day were always entertaining, and i can't say i was ever bored when he fought after that though the excitement factor deminished as his opposition got stronger. The guys that really bore the hell outa me are the ones that spend half the fight hugging, Byrd never used holding as a tactic, though fighters like Fres held HIM quite a bit, lol.

I also think him dropping down in weight was a good call, it will be interesting to see. Hopefully his fights get televised.
Byrd Man
Well the fight coming up against Shaun George is going to be on ESPN Friday night Fights.
FenderDG3
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Apr 20 2008, 11:36 PM) [snapback]387045[/snapback]
Well the fight coming up against Shaun George is going to be on ESPN Friday night Fights.

The 2008 Byrd Gang (88 PTS. as of 4/13/08)

Oscar De La Hoya - 5/3/08 vs. Steve Forbes
Chris Byrd - 5/6/08 vs. Shaun George???????
Edison Miranda (13 pts) - 6/21/08 vs. Arthur Abraham
Daniel Ponce de Leon - 6/7/08 vs. Juan Manuel Lopez (co-feature)
Kelly Pavlik (18pts) - 6/7/08 vs. Gary Lockett (co-feature)
Nonito Donaire - TBA vs. Hussein Hussein
Sechew Powell (12pts) - TBA
Timothy Bradley - TBA
Librado Andrade (24pts) - TBA
Alfonso Gomez (5pts)- TBA

May 6th is a Tuesday are you sure it isn't May 16th??
Byrd Man
yeah I messed up typing it...lol...

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.