Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does one become a boxing judge?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
This is something I've just started thinking about. I know it is fairly easy to become a baseball, football, or tennis official; but what about boxing? Considering some of the incompetent judging we witness, it seems like some of us should consider getting that license. Does anyone know of the steps to take? It would be great to get some knowledgeable fighthype.com people on the inside and have some good people judging in the future.
Mean Mister Mustard
I do not know the specifics but you can apply at the local comission. If accepted you start off at amateur fights but to get to the elite level like the Nady's, Smoger's and Cortez's you need to earn your stripes. That is why most of the top refs are in their mid 40's and 50's.
BrutalBodyShots
What I don't understand is how a high profile judge can really remain unbiased in their scoring.

I mean by definition a judge must be a boxing fan; Why would one become a judge of boxing if they weren't interested in the sport?

Also, as mentioned above in order to get to the higher level of course a judge would have to score HUNDREDS of fights. Obviously they watch all the fights, and when that's the case whether you want to or not you're going to become a fan of certain fighters. I wonder if they can really put that aside and judge impartially when it comes down to it.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Apr 20 2008, 12:06 AM) [snapback]386871[/snapback]
What I don't understand is how a high profile judge can really remain unbiased in their scoring.

I mean by definition a judge must be a boxing fan; Why would one become a judge of boxing if they weren't interested in the sport?

Also, as mentioned above in order to get to the higher level of course a judge would have to score HUNDREDS of fights. Obviously they watch all the fights, and when that's the case whether you want to or not you're going to become a fan of certain fighters. I wonder if they can really put that aside and judge impartially when it comes down to it.

Also what happens if through watching hundreds of fights judge A likes seeing a guy come foward and move his hands? Does that when a boxer has to fight that type of opponent he needs to change his style in order to acommodate judge A's tastes? I am pretty sure there are judges who don't pay much attention to boxers.
JD
Think of a man, and take away reason and accountability.
iron_mike
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 20 2008, 09:03 PM) [snapback]387029[/snapback]

Don't forget lack of eyesight and a willingness to take bribes
Spyder
Also, think of a drunk, and then take away the ability of cognitive function.
sweetchuck
You will have to start out with amateur events as a proving ground. Once you get to know the officials around your area they can help you get into the pros. Unless you already know people with your commission that will go out of their way, this is the way you should go about becoming a judge. This is from usaboxing.org

Q. How do I become a USA Boxing official?

A. To become an official, which includes referees, judges, timekeepers, tournament directors, weight masters, inspectors and draw masters, you need to join USA Boxing as an official member by registering with your LBC. You must also be certified by your LBC. These actions need to take place in order for you to serve at any USA Boxing sanctioned event.

Here is a link where you can see who to contact. http://www.usaboxing.org/90.htm It also has a basic rules and hints for beginning officials link.
basicjab
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 21 2008, 01:03 AM) [snapback]387029[/snapback]

lol, that was Jack Nickelson's definition of a woman in the movie Something's Got to Give.
JD
QUOTE(basicjab @ Apr 25 2008, 08:38 AM) [snapback]387628[/snapback]
lol, that was Jack Nickelson's definition of a woman in the movie Something's Got to Give.

Close...As Good as it Gets.

That movie was a classic...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.