Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joe Calzgahe vs. Roy Jones Jr.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
BigG
So who wins?

Most of the board will say Calzaghe for sure, but I think Roy could do really well..even if he ended up losing. Calzgahe is tough, excellent stamina, good workrate...but everytime I see this guy fight, he lacks serious pop in his punches. he doesn't sit on his punches...he throws amateurish arm punches when he gets guys on the ropes. I think Roy, even at this stage, is for sure the quicker and sharper puncher. You think Jones quickness/counterpunching could offest Calzaghe? For some reason I just think Jones would do well just based on styles.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 21 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]387088[/snapback]
Joe Calazghe without a problem. Look at the Trinidad fight. Jones barely fought against a soft blown up welter. He barely punches and is much easier to hit than Hopkins. Jones did nothing against Tito. He will do even less when he is forced to fight. All I give is Jones a punchers chance. That's about as far as I will go.

I would not base my prediction of Jones Vs. Calzaghe because I feel like Roy just pretty much let Tito off of the hook in that fight. Jones never stepped it up to try to put Tito away and personally feel that it wasn't that he couldn't it was more of Roy carrying Tito to the final bell. I just find it hard to believe that Roy pretty much dominated the whole fight fighting in second gear the whole time and if he would have put in third the fight would have been over in the 7th round. Roy has better power to then B-Hop and if he goes in to this fight with with mindset of backing Zaghe up he could KO him, but it really depends on what Roy wants to do in the fight.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 21 2008, 01:49 PM) [snapback]387092[/snapback]
I would not base my prediction of Jones Vs. Calzaghe because I feel like Roy just pretty much let Tito off of the hook in that fight. Jones never stepped it up to try to put Tito away and personally feel that it wasn't that he couldn't it was more of Roy carrying Tito to the final bell. I just find it hard to believe that Roy pretty much dominated the whole fight fighting in second gear the whole time and if he would have put in third the fight would have been over in the 7th round. Roy has better power to then B-Hop and if he goes in to this fight with with mindset of backing Zaghe up he could KO him, but it really depends on what Roy wants to do in the fight.

i think you are talking about the roy of old, because this roy that we have now doesnt have a third gear. hes trying to use the winky style defense now and its another case of an old fighter that cant sustain the punch output needed. i thought roys power would be impressive at the lower weight but the tito fight proved me wrong. i dont think he carried tito at all, i think roy is just very cautious of the fact that he can get KTFO.

i can see joe winning a UD in this fight or possibly stopping jones late. although, i think roy would run his ass off before allowing himself to be stopped.
JD
Roy gets stopped.
Blayde
Roy still has the tools to have some good moments against a non stop come forward fighter like Calzaghe. But when I think about Roy laying against the ropes and just trying to block everything with his gloves ... no good against Joe.
Maxy
It pains me to say it because for years I trumpeted Jones, to my friends, as the best fighter of the last decade (this was way back btw).

Now, those same friends are asking me how Joe will do against Jones and I am having to to tell them that Jones is past it. They are all suddenly on Calzaghe's nuts like he's the best thing to come out of Britian ever. I've never been a fan of his. I hate his style, it looks sloppy, amateurish...but its effective. His stamina is superb, his work rate is incredible and right now I would have to pick him to beat Jones pretty clearly. I doubt he has the power to stop Jones but I could see a referee stepping in simply because Jones wasn't throwing anything back.

Yeah, so Calzaghe wins it for me.

A few years back however and its a different story.

Question is, will the fight happen at all? Joe has said his next fight will be in Wales and it will be his LAST fight. Will Jones break the habit of a lifetime and go overseas? I don't think he will.
E.C.LEGEND
I'm going with Roy in this one. counter left hooks and left hooks are his favorite and I see those landing all night. Joe Calslappy won't be standing in front of Roy with his hands down thats for sure, and if does I see left jab (which he does have) straight right for an easy win for Roy. and another thing lets not forget that Roy like to throw to the body, so I don't see Joe moving that fast in the later rounds
PR316
Win-win for Roy here. If he loses, well he was supposed to, but if he wins, he's the first that beats Calzaghe.

Joe lets his hands go and presents lots of opportunities for a sharp shooting counter puncher like Roy. Roy hits harder, throws quicker, and more frequently than Bernard.

If Roy's got it in him to ONE MORE TIME use angles and make his legs the factor, I see no reason why he can't score the upset.

Roy's hand speed alone gives him a good chance.
moscow bear
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 21 2008, 06:54 PM) [snapback]387104[/snapback]
Roy gets stopped.

think so too..... i kinda see both men hitting the canvas in this fight.
getup

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I think Roy's got something left. He worked hard in training camp and got in great fighting shape for Tito (down to 169.5lbs ), and it showed as his punches were much sharper than recent form. It did appear that Roy carried Tito, perhaps tribute to Trinidad for affording him the huge payday.

You can tell that Roy is amped to fight Joe....and why not, a victory would bring his legendary career full circle.

After hearing Chris Byrd talk about his admiration for Roy I thought I'd post an interesting quote from Joe himself in June 2003:

"I'm a big Roy Jones fan and to be honest, he's the only guy in the world that I really don't want to fight. He seems to be the perfect fighter and you just can't hit the guy. Look at what Jones did to Richard Hall who then fights Dariuz Michaelczweski and bashes him up for 11 rounds. I like to watch Jones fight and see his moves. He carries an aura that he takes into the ring with him. It's 100 percent confidence and he knows he's going to win. You can tell that he doesn't take his talent for granted though because he obviously trains very hard and keeps in tremendous shape."

Yes it's 2008, and fighters are more eager to fight him now but Roy can still perform and I think this fight with now fellow legend Joe will be quite an event....with a surprise ending for most.

BoxingStill#1

Calzaghe didnt look too sharp in my opinion,...... his punches had no luster in any way.....

I see Roy pulling off the upset,,.....staying away, pot shotting......perhaps even an early KO

We may yet see Roy back on top of the world......
Romulus9
Jones.

Makes it look easier than you'd think.
Ghost22
I just don't understand why everyone is in love Calzaghe. If you watched the Bhop fight, it looked like 2 chics throwin weak slaps. They weren't even punches. If hopkins actually threw any punches and didnt just run around, he wouldve won easily. I just wish calzaghe would fight someone who's not old and at the end of their career. Who has he fought, Kessler, the dude wont even fight miranda because hes scared. Hopkins 43 years old. Fight someone like Pavlik, Taylor, Miranda. That 0 will certainly go!
mateball
LOL!!! Jones would murder Calzaghe. In case you are all blind... Calzaghe is a horrible arm puncher with NO power. The ONLY people who have caused Jones problem are bigger guys with heavy hands. Joe lacks power of any kind. Granted the man can fight. he is allusive and very quick, but jones is better in EVERY category. power, speed, stamina, heart, skill.... basically Joe is the left handed version of Roy Jones Jr... I think this would be a great fight. however, I see Jones winning a one sided decision against the smaller fighter.
Comparing Calzaghe to trinidad is completely stupid. they are polar opposites when it comes to fighting. I think Calzaghe would have a harder time with trinidad then jones did.
treyes7123
QUOTE(mateball @ Apr 21 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]387131[/snapback]
LOL!!! Jones would murder Calzaghe. In case you are all blind... Calzaghe is a horrible arm puncher with NO power. The ONLY people who have caused Jones problem are bigger guys with heavy hands. Joe lacks power of any kind. Granted the man can fight. he is allusive and very quick, but jones is better in EVERY category. power, speed, stamina, heart, skill.... basically Joe is the left handed version of Roy Jones Jr... I think this would be a great fight. however, I see Jones winning a one sided decision against the smaller fighter.
Comparing Calzaghe to trinidad is completely stupid. they are polar opposites when it comes to fighting. I think Calzaghe would have a harder time with trinidad then jones did.

Agreed
FenderDG3
I'm not about to go nearly as far as some of the posters above, but I think Roy has a really good chance to pull off the upset. I don't know if he carried Tito, but either way he looked just average for the caliber of a fighter RJJ is. Looking back at last week, the Hopkins/Calzaghe fight was a very close fight that was difficult to score, and that was with Hopkins having a pretty low punch output. I see this fight being very similar to that fight. IMHO, I feel that RJJ's output would be significantly higher enabling him to win more rounds that Hopkins was able to.
JD
This fight is safe money.

Jones fights in spurts and he would not be able to do that.

A blown-up, nearly inactive for 3 years, washed up Trinidad...
A blown-up Anthony Hanshaw...
Prince Badi Ajamu...

Those are Roy's last 3 fights, and prior to them, he was getting spread all over the canvas by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson. I think Roy does not have as much left as some might think. Calzaghe will not beat him with one punch power, he will simply wear him down by constantly working...Roy is not nearly as good defensively as Hopkins, he will not make you miss, he will simply try to cover up and wait for you to stop.

Everyone is saying Calzaghe was not impressive...well, who is ever impressive against Hopkins? No one, not even a prime Roy Jones was impressive against Hopkins. I will take Calzaghe's performances against Hopkins, Mikkel Kessler and Jeff Lacy in the past couple years over Roy's performances. Jones is too old and tries to fight in spots...no good in this matchup in my opinion.
FenderDG3
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 21 2008, 05:51 PM) [snapback]387134[/snapback]
This fight is safe money.

Jones fights in spurts and he would not be able to do that.

A blown-up, nearly inactive for 3 years, washed up Trinidad...
A blown-up Anthony Hanshaw...
Prince Badi Ajamu...

Those are Roy's last 3 fights, and prior to them, he was getting spread all over the canvas by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson. I think Roy does not have as much left as some might think. Calzaghe will not beat him with one punch power, he will simply wear him down by constantly working...Roy is not nearly as good defensively as Hopkins, he will not make you miss, he will simply try to cover up and wait for you to stop.

Everyone is saying Calzaghe was not impressive...well, who is ever impressive against Hopkins? No one, not even a prime Roy Jones was impressive against Hopkins. I will take Calzaghe's performances against Hopkins, Mikkel Kessler and Jeff Lacy in the past couple years over Roy's performances. Jones is too old and tries to fight in spots...no good in this matchup in my opinion.

You make a pretty good point... I guess I didn't really take B-Hop's defense into account earlier.
JD
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Apr 21 2008, 07:02 PM) [snapback]387136[/snapback]
You make a pretty good point... I guess I didn't really take B-Hop's defense into account earlier.

You know what it is...I think some people are just not really taking into account the version of Jones that we are talking about. I mean, Roy's legs are not good at all at this point.

I just really dislike this fight for him.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 21 2008, 11:34 AM) [snapback]387088[/snapback]
Joe Calazghe without a problem. Look at the Trinidad fight. Jones barely fought against a soft blown up welter. He barely punches and is much easier to hit than Hopkins. Jones did nothing against Tito. He will do even less when he is forced to fight. All I give is Jones a punchers chance. That's about as far as I will go.

I wouldnt insult roy that bad to say he only has a "punchers chance" lets be real here and not hate for a second. Roy is faster and stronger he'll be the bigger fighter. If it takes place at 175 I think that will improve roy's chances of pulling off this upset
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JD @ Apr 21 2008, 06:54 PM) [snapback]387104[/snapback]
Roy gets stopped.

& I relish it replaying it over & over.
Boxingjunkie
I cant believe so many people are picking Roy to win this fight. I think that is great. Most people have written Roy off already. I give Roy a chance to win this fight because he is quicker, bigger and stronger, but I think Joe will probably just be to busy for Roy. If Bernard can drop Joe with one punch it makes me wonder what Roy's punch will do to Joe. I cant see Joe hurting Roy. He slaps with his punches and doesnt show much power but it will probably be enough to win the fight at this point in Roy's career.
The Original MrFactor
Roy has no shot. He gets stopped. look at the Johnson fight. Look at the Trinidad fight(I know Roy won). Roy cant take pressure. he only took it from Tito because Tito was a blown up WW. Johnson, whose power aint great, KO'd Jones. I think Cal hits at least as hard as Johnson. He definately throws more. Calzaghe would be coming forward throwing punches. Roy would Peek aboo on the ropes until Cal stops. Roy throws two shots then covers up gain. Eventaully CalZaghe catches Jones and throws a wicked flurry to finish him.
HaydelHammer
Roy by KO 8.

joe stop trying to fight 40 yr olds. lol
kidbazooka1
As much as I would love to see Jones school Cal I just can't see it happening anymore. Joe would be to busy to let Jones set anything up.

Calzaghe by UD.
The CEO
If Calzaghe fights and beats Jones....which I think he would....at least I can tell my grandchildren the truth about him and his career....

"But, Grandpa....Joe Calzaghe beat Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Junior!"

"and it don't mean shit, son....both those guys were well past their best days...Calzaghe was good at what he did....but he's overrated."

HaydelHammer
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 21 2008, 11:08 PM) [snapback]387179[/snapback]
If Calzaghe fights and beats Jones....which I think he would....at least I can tell my grandchildren the truth about him and his career....
"But, Grandpa....Joe Calzaghe beat Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Junior!"

"and it don't mean shit, son....both those guys were well past their best days...Calzaghe was good at what he did....but he's overrated."

2 40 yr olds will be listed as his defining moments in his career. damn shame

I see something in the Roy matchup. Roy KO 8.
STEVENSKI
Man there are a lot of Kool Aide clowns on this board today.

Roy has nothing & has showed nothing since he went down with Balco.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 21 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]387181[/snapback]

Yup... Now if only they'd do an investigation in Europe... Why the surge of European athletes??
PR316
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 22 2008, 03:23 AM) [snapback]387181[/snapback]

When did Roy go down Balco??... Please explain..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(PR316 @ Apr 22 2008, 03:50 AM) [snapback]387185[/snapback]
When did Roy go down Balco??... Please explain..

He was a career long juicer who got his shit from Balco. When they went down so did he. Coincidence? I think not.
Fitz
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 21 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]387191[/snapback]
He was a career long juicer who got his shit from Balco. When they went down so did he. Coincidence? I think not.

lol ok now jones took steriods?? lol dont be too biased now

HaydelHammer
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 22 2008, 12:17 AM) [snapback]387191[/snapback]

Roy was never associated with balco. The only high profile boxer was Mosley. In the bust that went down in orlando..only one mentioned was evander and he had someone of another name purchasing for him allegedly. No ties.

you guys let your dislike of roy cause you to post material with zero substance at times just out of malice.

wake up...the dude was that good folks.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 21 2008, 07:49 PM) [snapback]387154[/snapback]
Insult him? I think I am being generous giving him that chance. What, you think he will outwork Calazghe and win a decision? He was winning the 3rd fight with Tarver at about the half way point, and then stopped throwing and got totally outworked. Why would you expect him to outwork and win a decision against Calazghe when he couldn't even keep up with Tarver. Look how pathetic his output was against Trinidad as well. Jones workrate isn't much greater than Hopkins, and Jones will actually gas and show fatigue much more than Hopkins.

ok true to some point I agree with the work out put, but really who out there can out work calz? nobody can! Roy will be faster and stronger. Also I think people need to stop comparing roy too much to Hopkins because Roy is naturally bigger than Hopkins and alot faster. Like I said Im not predicting a Jones Win I'm just think he has more than a punchers chance
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(HaydelHammer @ Apr 21 2008, 10:40 PM) [snapback]387200[/snapback]
Roy was never associated with balco. The only high profile boxer was Mosley. In the bust that went down in orlando..only one mentioned was evander and he had someone of another name purchasing for him allegedly. No ties.

you guys let your dislike of roy cause you to post material with zero substance at times just out of malice.

wake up...the dude was that good folks.

AMEN!!!! preach it
The CEO
laugh.gif

It has begun.

Again.

LOL! @ Fitz with the document on speed dial.
STEVENSKI
As I have previously said Jones should hand back his titles gained by fraudulent & dishonest methods & be struck from the record books. Either that or as i posted previously tehre should be a * after each fight with (disregard result due to illegal substance usage).
E.C.LEGEND
Yall keep talking like joe slappy is some power puncher with a lot of stamina! the people you all are referring to that outworked Roy have one hit knockout power and they ko'd him. joe doesn't have any power and those slaps are not going to knock Roy out, so you can't even put joe into the same category as tarver and johnson. Just because joe might out work him doesn't mean he is going to win, he ain't knocking Roy out! When I seen the fight b-hop was throwing one punch then clinching the whole fight. Roy ain't gonna do that he can go head hunting or go the the body which b-hop really never did. And if Roy goes to the body early, and I think he will, do you all still see joe being able to have the stamina to do what he does best in the later rounds? no, and I don't either!
BigG
Glen is a very hard puncher who puts alot in his shots.....
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 22 2008, 06:12 AM) [snapback]387221[/snapback]
I look at Johnson as a decent puncher through accumulation, but not really a one punch knock out artist like that guy proclaimed.

People seem to be confusing Glenn Johnson with mike tyson. You are absolutely right. The Dawson fight should have enlightened folks to Glenn Johnsons power. A heavy puncher would have had Dawson outta there...
JD
Roy has no legs left.

His past three fights have confused some people. Besides, Jones defense is nowhere near Hopkins defense, plus, Roy tries to fight in spurts too. This is a bad opponent for Jones, worse than Glen Johnson at this point because of how much better Calzaghe is defensively then Johnson, and how much faster his hands are...the only advantage Johnson has over Calzaghe is physical strength, and chin (though Cal can take a hell of a shot).

Some people are killing Calzaghe for beating Bernard Hopkins but not looking impressive doing it. LOL...that is so absurd. Again, when is the last time someone looked impressive against Hopkins...anyone...
BigG
I've just always never been too impressed with Calzgahe period. I'm not denying his place in P4P ranks..he is up there..but watching his fights with Kessler, Hopkins, Manfredo, Bika...there is just no way this guy is better then someone like Floyd, Pacman or Cotto, IMO.

Jones did get beat up against Glen Johnson and got outboxed by Tarver..but those two are totally different. Tarver is a really tall counterpuncher and Roy respected the mans power and with good reason..Tarver knocked him the fuck out. Glen might not have one punch KO power as suggested by a few posters above, but he is tough as nails, tireless, and he does sit down on his punches and he does have power. Calzaghe on the other hand as shown in all his recent fights, is tough as nails, has high workrate, great stamina, good chin...but like I said, he throws amateurish slaps and I think he was given too much credit for MISSED flurries of slaps against Bernard Hopkins. In no way did he control that fight at all. He was coming forward and missing. I don't think he beat Hopkins, I think it should've been a draw.

The reason I think Jones does well even though he losses is mainly because of Calzgahe's lack off pop and the face that he's faster then Joe is. If the fight is kept at the middle of the ring, I could see Jones actually letting his hands go and unleashing combo's or quick counters which could score points...but then Jones would probably lay on the ropes and Slappy would unleash his combos and in the end might win a decision. Anyway, I hope this does happen even though Jones is past it.
JD
Trinidad backed Jones up to the ropes, as did Hanshaw and Ajamu...I am going to go out on a limb and say that this fight is not going to be kept in the middle of the ring.
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 22 2008, 08:49 AM) [snapback]387229[/snapback]
I'm not even sure Jones gets backed up onto the ropes anymore, he tends to go there on his own will and it's because he has no legs anymore, so he lays on the ropes trying to do a Mayweather, Ali type of thing, but it doesn't work all too well for him.

Good point...he does just go there for the most part.
PR316
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Apr 22 2008, 04:17 AM) [snapback]387191[/snapback]

Do you work for the federal government or something??... Show me something CONCRETE and maybe I'll believe you. Don't just give me rumors and opinions based on your hate for slick, athletic fighters. Tell the truth.
Spyder
STEVENSKI hates athletes!

That's why he likes cricket...

laugh.gif
BigG
But I would pick Calzgahe by decision...I just dont think Roy gets stopped or embrrassed..it could be a close one on the cards.
WolfishPromistah
"I'm not even sure Jones gets backed up onto the ropes anymore, he tends to go there on his own will and it's because he has no legs anymore, so he lays on the ropes trying to..."

I've been thinking that for some time as well. Roy is not good off the ropes now, where as one time he could do slick things in that area though he seldom had to. Now he seems to go there to try and rest up, in order to get the other guy a little tired to where Roy can then try and take things back out into the center at points; still, those points seem nowhere near as frequent as he would have earlier in his career. To me, I always laughed because the thought came to me he was sorta trying to compete, attempting to show fans of both Floyd and James Toney, as well as the guys themselves, that Roy could do it off the ropes too, except...he doesn't -- not really.
WolfishPromistah
If, in the center of the ring, Roy lets his hands go early on Joe, I say he will KO him. He's gotta focus to out work Joe within 6 - 7 rounds, without making it known to the media, fighting him much the way he did Bannon years ago. As much as he's not the Roy of old, I think he can still do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.