Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Fights that made the Fighter!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
I just wanted to have a little fun! Choose a fighter (past or present). And name the Fight that made their careers!
I.E
Antonio Tarver, KO2 Roy Jones

If i totally bomb this thread, I apoligize, I was just tryna have some fun.
Byrd Man
Ricky Hatton - Kostya Tzsyu

Douchebag
Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson

Eventhough his reign on top was short like leprechauns.
Mean Mister Mustard
Are we talking about fights or just victories?

Because did the 1st Morales-Barerra fight make Barerra or was it his win against Hamed?
Douchebag
Pavlik Vs. Taylor 1 pretty much made Pavlik what he is.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 23 2008, 05:22 PM) [snapback]387411[/snapback]
Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson

Eventhough his reign on top was short like leprechauns.

True, but he DID crush so-called willies, thugs, and rapper-dons
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 23 2008, 05:28 PM) [snapback]387412[/snapback]
Are we talking about fights or just victories?

Because did the 1st Morales-Barerra fight make Barerra or was it his win against Hamed?

Fights!, Win or Lose!
I.E Marquez & Vasquez trilogy made both men.
Mean Mister Mustard
Gotcha.

Ray Leonard TKO15 Benitez.

By the way, what fight made Oscar de La Hoya? Was it the Ruelas destruction or the Chavez stoppage?
Douchebag
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 23 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]387417[/snapback]
Gotcha.

By the way, what fight made Oscar de La Hoya? Was it the Ruelas destruction or the Chavez stoppage?

Probably the Ruelas destruction. Eventhough the media was in love with Chicken De la Hoya from when he entered the pro ranks so it wouldn't be fair to say that any one fight made him.....IMO.
BigG
Glen Johnson KO 9 Roy Jones Jr.

Manny Pacquiao TKO 11 Marco Antonio Barrera....although his fight with Ledwaba made HBO/fight fans notice him.

Micky Ward MD Arturo Gatti....

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 23 2008, 04:48 PM) [snapback]387419[/snapback]
Probably the Ruelas destruction. Eventhough the media was in love with Chicken De la Hoya from when he entered the pro ranks so it wouldn't be fair to say that any one fight made him.....IMO.

It's hard to gauge the win that made him, it seemed that thanks to Arum he was going to be a star regardless of who he beat but I too am going with the Ruelas win simply because he was undefeated and many were saying DLH was over his head against him.
D-MARV
Winky Wright
UD Felix Trinidad
CreDog
Joe Calzaghe vs Jeff Lacy.

I thought Lacy was going to destroy Calzaghe because I had never seen him fight live (only clips). Regardless if Lacy was overrated this really made America take notice.
Byrd Man
Arturo Gatti the Trilogy with Mickey Ward (and vice versa)
oozemcbuck
baldomir-judah.... lol

gomez-manfredo 1 ?!? (made gomez)
D-MARV
QUOTE(oozemcbuck @ Apr 23 2008, 07:00 PM) [snapback]387429[/snapback]
baldomir-judah.... lol

gomez-manfredo 1 ?!? (made gomez)

OH I thought Gomez-Gatti made Gomez. I didnt really watch the Contender during that season
oozemcbuck
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Apr 23 2008, 05:30 PM) [snapback]387413[/snapback]
Pavlik Vs. Taylor 1 pretty much made Pavlik what he is.

you can even say pavlik-miranda
D-MARV
Oh I got ONE!
Bowe-Golota 1 & 2 Made Golota!!!! lol
hardhead
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 23 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]387417[/snapback]
Gotcha.

I think it was Ike Quartey as far as REAL respect, that was the first real challenge of a fighter in his prime that he took on and pulled it out with that big 12th round, before that I viewed DE LA Hoya as more hype then what he deserved.
oozemcbuck
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Apr 23 2008, 07:06 PM) [snapback]387431[/snapback]
OH I thought Gomez-Gatti made Gomez. I didnt really watch the Contender during that season

yeah, gomez had the worst record and the only one to go UP in weight to make the show. he called out manfredo, who was favored heavily and feared by everyone else and undeafeated, in the first fight and beat him.
Romulus9
Gerry Cooney vs.... ummm...

uh....

shit...

nevermind.
The CEO
When Mosley beat DLH in their first bout, it threw him over the top...
Mean Mister Mustard
Roy Jones UD James Toney, all those people that were saying Roy was mismanaged early on in his career and that Toney would be too experienced for him and WHAM! Jones toyed with him for 12 rounds and started the myth that was RJ.
Romulus9
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 23 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]387445[/snapback]
Roy Jones UD James Toney, all those people that were saying Roy was mismanaged early on in his career and that Toney would be too experienced for him and WHAM! Jones toyed with him for 12 rounds and started the myth that was RJ.

What an asskicking that was.
stateofthegame
Conchita Gonzalez vs Michael Carbajal (at least the first two): I say this because after getting knocked out, Gonzalez turned the tables and easily outboxed Carbajal in the following rematches.

Salvador Sanchez vs Azumah Nelson
: Even though Azumah lost, I think this is the fight that launched his legacy.
BrutalBodyShots
Most non hardcore boxing fans would say Hopkins-Trinidad.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Apr 23 2008, 08:28 PM) [snapback]387444[/snapback]
When Mosley beat DLH in their first bout, it threw him over the top...

damn, that was the first one that came to my mind.
kidbazooka1
Johnny Tapia vs Danny Romero

Paulie Ayala vs Johnny Tapia

Erick Morales vs Daniel Zaragoza/Barrera
The Original MrFactor
Holyfield vs Qawi

Holyfield vs Bowe.

McCallum vs TONEY
Tha Docta
hasim rahman. if only he fought as good as he talked.
D-MARV
Vitaly Klitschko
Loss to Lennox Lewis!

Even though he losses this fight it certainly made him.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm hesitant to list Trinidad's win over DLH as the fight that made hime even though he had been the IBF titlist for 6 years. He had never made a big splash before the DLH fight. It was after the controversial win that he became a hero.
Douchebag
Antonio Margarito really made his career after beating Cintron the first time.

Also Cotto really came to his own after beating Zab.

Method
Carlos Maussa (vs. Vicious Viv)

Carlos Baldomir (vs. Arturo Gatti)

Ricardo Mayorga (vs. Vernon Forrest)

Buster Douglas (vs. Mike Tyson)
Romulus9
Foreman's first destruction of Frazier comes to mind as well.
Big Slim Sweet
Razor Ruddock's two losses to Tyson had eveyone saying he was the closest thing left to Mike with Mike himself in jail.
Big Slim Sweet
Damn this board is death warmed over this afternoon, huh?

Mike Tyson KO 1 Marvis Frazier
Tommy Hearns KO 2 Pipino Cuevas

Their legends were officially born.
Hodge
I'm going to go with Floyd/ Hatton for me. I thought that was awesome how the entire arena went silent after the knockout and they were carrying Floyd around in the ring. He's hated and that was pinnacle of shutting an entire audience down.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Hodge @ Apr 24 2008, 05:30 PM) [snapback]387548[/snapback]
I'm going to go with Floyd/ Hatton for me. I thought that was awesome how the entire arena went silent after the knockout and they were carrying Floyd around in the ring. He's hated and that was pinnacle of shutting an entire audience down.

Floyd over Hatton was Huge cuz it was so Dramatic.
I think Floyd's rematch with Castillo was big as well as the Fight with Gatti, De La Hoya, Corrales.
Damn this man has a list!
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't believe the Hatton KO was dramatic, Mayweather was well ahead on the scorecards. If Hatton had stopped Mayweather that would have been dramatic. For PBF the fight that made him would have to be the Corrales fight. He had already beaten Hernandez and Manfredy but it was the Corrales fight that showed that he was capable of outclassing a fellow young undefeated fighter.
Hodge
The end of the Hatton fight reminded me of a movie like "Friday Night Lights." Everyone not in the know were just in awe. The faces of Hopkins, De La Hoya and Marco Antonio Barrera after the knockdown was priceless. They were stuck with the stupid look like those guys from "Snatch," when that old gangster got shot. ohmy.gif Another fight for me was James Toney vs. Virov. The only fight I ever remembered of James was the fight against Roy and he didn't look that good. The display he put on Jirov was jaw dropping. Damn that was good fight.
dj necrogenic
Allan Green - KO1 Jaidon Codrington
oozemcbuck
i got a couple more... maglinaggi/cotto... paulie blew up from that one, even though he lost...
quintana/joel julio. that one made me notice quintana, i was impressed. julio hasn't really made too much noise at the top since. julio was the prospect of the year at the time. when cotto moved up to welter and his first fight was vs quintana, i had doubts about cotto in that one.

and since he's fighting friday, jesse feliciano/cintron. he was like a real-life rocky in that one... btw, feliciano and alfonso gomez fought to a draw a little after the contender 1. not that it matters....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.