Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larry Merchant prediction came true
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
stateofthegame
On Sept 9, 1995 on the card with Oscar DeLahoya vs Genaro Hernandez, James Toney took on Ernest Mateen in a foul filled contest that ended with Mateen being DQ'd by Mills Lane.

During the fight Merchant made the comment that it would be surprising one day if Toney decided to take on Butterbean by growing as fat as Butterbean. Looking at Toney over the past few years just confirms the prediction powers of Larry Merchant. I discovered this comment this morning putting the fight on DVD. What is funny is Lampley followed the comment by saying it would not be surprising because Toney was only two or three buffet trips away at that point.
hardhead
Yea I remember that and thought the same thing, Lampley and Merchant must've been around Toney and seen him destroy a buffet.... laugh.gif
Megadeth
QUOTE(hardhead @ Apr 26 2008, 12:05 PM) [snapback]387740[/snapback]
Yea I remember that and thought the same thing, Lampley and Merchant must've been around Toney and seen him destroy a buffet.... laugh.gif

I cant remember which fight it was, but Lampley called Toney "a fat tub of goo" I nearly fell off my couch. I believe it was the Ruiz fight when Toney had a huge gut.
rusty_trombone
i'm surprised any of the hotels in vegas let him into any of their buffets. man can bankrupt a place.
sweetchuck
They'll let anyone in there to eat their cheap food filled with MSG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.