Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Am Appalled At People Picking Forbes
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Bhopreign
Some writers picking Forbes to win? Come on, Forbes isnt Floyd and just because he somewhat uses the same style he is nowhere near as effective. He isnt as slick as many make him out to and doesnt use his legs alot. Forget about him having a similar style to Floyd, forget about that, thats not even an issue, who has Floyd's stamina, Floyd's legs, Floyd's intangibles, not Forbes, not close. Bottom line he wont win, his best chance is to try and outwork Oscar but he will need to basically shut Oscar out to be considered for a split decision. Floyd wasnt worried about Roger in Forbes corner, I dont buy that, its just something else to add to the wrinkle in the drama for the 24/7 buildup. Floyd knows Oscar will walk away with his hand raised after this fight and I would think all at FightHype would know the same.
KookedKrack
you are appalled at fighthype? its called opinions scrap im sure people were "appalled" at the chump decision oscar got b4 his fight with hopkins
Bhopreign
Well the writers in the prediction article are who Im referring to. Just think that some people like picking the guy who has a minimal chance so if he does happen to win they can say I told you so. Forbes doesnt have any advantage in this fight and that should be the measuring stick.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(Bhopreign @ May 2 2008, 08:59 PM) [snapback]388422[/snapback]
Well the writers in the prediction article are who Im referring to. Just think that some people like picking the guy who has a minimal chance so if he does happen to win they can say I told you so. Forbes doesnt have any advantage in this fight and that should be the measuring stick.

to you he has no chance but ask steve forbes and see what he has to say about that, this is boxing man anyone can beat anyone on any given day ex: buster douglas it isn't written in stone anywhere that this is a guaranteed win

for the record i also think oscar is going to win but I would not be surprised if forbes gets the upset
Bhopreign
The passing of Douglas' mom gave him extra motivation in that fight too.
Hodge
What was Frankie Randall's motivation to beat Chavez? What about Terry Norris' for Sugar Ray? Michael Bennett, Tommy Morrison??? I say that to say this man:

Boxing is like anal sex. Shit happens.
Fitz
QUOTE(Hodge @ May 3 2008, 12:44 PM) [snapback]388430[/snapback]
Boxing is like anal sex. Shit happens.

It can probably hurt as well.
EpTXCHAMP
I dont think the writers arent really "Picking" I think its more like their "hoping" forbes pulls off the upset so we wont be stuck with dlh vs mayweather
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Bhopreign @ May 2 2008, 09:42 PM) [snapback]388426[/snapback]
The passing of Douglas' mom gave him extra motivation in that fight too.

LMAO.

So should Douglas' Mom's passing have tightened the odds 50% from 42-1 to 21-1 or so? LOL.

thehype
I think I'm more appalled with the fact that Hopkins let a white boy beat him...but that's a different story.

laugh.gif

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and just because a few people are picking a HUGE underdog to pull off the upset, it's not the end of the world and it certainly doesn't mean that they represent all of FightHype. I could understand if the majority of us were picking Forbes to win, but we're not...like 4 out of 17 people picked him, one of which admitted that he was only picking Forbes to win simply because he's hoping a rematch with Mayweather will be spoiled.

I mean, technically speaking, could Forbes win? Absolutely. Styles make fights and if Mayweather, who's also naturally smaller than Oscar, was able to beat him as easily as I thought he did (I scored it 8-4 for Floyd), then surely another fighter who's also small and has somewhat of a similar style as Mayweather could pose some problems for the aging De La Hoya (who I thought had the worst performance of his entire career against Floyd).

Now, would I pick Forbes to beat him?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO!

But hey...that's just my opinion which, by the way, does not represent all of FightHype.

laugh.gif
sweetchuck
Well I honestly like Forbes, I've seen the guy fight like ten times live, met him as an amateur and then saw him as a pro. When I saw him in March I told him to beat the hell out of De La Hoya. And yes, I hate the idea that DLH and Mayweather expect us to put out $50 of our hard earned money to see a piece a crap fight like they had again. Ok, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I told a lot of people that it was going to be a big event, but a bad fight for the first fight. Anyway, I picked Forbes as a guy who has followed his career from day one out of hope for a fighter who has all the talent in the world to beat DLH. I'll admit this is more hope than anything else, but really, the only time DLH has looked in the last few years was Mayorga and that's because Mayorga's the type that goes in face first to try to knock you out. So I don't feel it's so far fetched for Forbes to win. I'll back up my picks any day, whether anyone agrees with them or not.
Imperius3
I consider Forbes to be the best out of all the Contenders. Fighters from the Contender tend to be low quality shit, but he is an exception. He made a name for himself before the show and was a former champion. He is certainly better than overhyped dog shit like Manfredo and Gomez.
rusty_trombone
so am i. just because you think a guy has a shot in hell at winning, doesn't mean he is the correct or rational pick. even though buster douglas beat tyson, he certainly wasn't the smart choice to win.

as for forbes being motivated, you here that shit from every underdogs mouth in every fight, and for that matter every sport. remember how motivated and confident gomez was before he got completely dismantled in a joke of a fight. the whole "i'm not just an opponent" mentality. you can tell yourself whatever you want, and want it more than anything, but most of the time that shit does not matter. not when the opponents are this unequal is size, strength, speed and skill. if this was fought anywhere near a weight class where forbes should be fighting, then maybe but shit, he hasn't been able to(or is just too lazy to) make his best weights in 5 years.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ May 3 2008, 06:04 AM) [snapback]388458[/snapback]
I consider Forbes to be the best out of all the Contenders. Fighters from the Contender tend to be low quality shit, but he is an exception. He made a name for himself before the show and was a former champion. He is certainly better than overhyped dog shit like Manfredo and Gomez.

great, forbes is king of the retards.

BrutalBodyShots
If Forbes was the "best out of the Contenders" wouldn't he have at least won on the show?

A guy that can't win on The Contender IMO isn't going to beat DLH at 150 pounds.

margarito#1p4p
I would absolutely love it if Forbes won this fight, in the hopes that it would make Bill Gates/Steve Jobs, I meant ODLH/MayweatherII look even more pathetic than it already is. I don't think Forbes will pull it out, though. I think the fight could be competitive in spots because of Forbes' toughness, heart, etc. GO 2POUNDS, GO!!!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ May 3 2008, 10:26 AM) [snapback]388465[/snapback]
If Forbes was the "best out of the Contenders" wouldn't he have at least won on the show?

A guy that can't win on The Contender IMO isn't going to beat DLH at 150 pounds.

that's true, if you can't beat grady brewer.....
KookedKrack
i dont think anyone is saying that forbes WILL win in this thread its pretty much that he CAN win
pcraw
If an underdog didnt win from time to time what would be the point of watching boxing. I'm picking DLH, but if we never had some of the upsets mentioned in previous post why watch? I mean if the guy tha's supposed to win-won every time out why waste 36 minutes plus breaks watching. For whatever reason people picked Forbes who gives a shit.
buford54
Seriously...what's the big deal. Rahman knocked out Lewis. Douglas knocked out Tyson.
Mind you, we know what happened in the fight at this point...but what was the huge deal with picking Forbes? read the round by round and there was a comment that "it might get interesting, Forbes looks really comfortable in there."

Forbes is a former champ being viewed as a tune-up...what is wrong with thinking that he could have pulled the upset...other than the fact that DLH never loses his tune-ups.
Imperius3
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ May 3 2008, 09:26 AM) [snapback]388465[/snapback]

He lost the championship by SD. I didn't see it, but it was disputed by a lot of people.

rusty- Hahaha! That's wrong, but I guess it has some truth to it. Forbes was not going to beat an elite fighter tonight.
KookedKrack
if forbes would have had more pop/power it would have been a bad night for oscar because he was VERY hittable last night (no homo)
Douchebag
Oscar won but he got beat up last night.
and the NEW
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ May 3 2008, 10:04 AM) [snapback]388458[/snapback]

Absofukcinglutely!

I also agree with the thread title, everyone to their own opinion, but how one would think Forbes could beat a legend in DLH is beyond me.

DLH was fighting guys WAY bigger than him for a long time, thank god he came down to fight guys closer to his own size and went back to his natural style! Imagine Mayweather trying to fight like DLH, it just won't work! The man was an absolute pure boxer-puncher in his time, with an incredible jab and combination punching better than most in history. A left hook to die for and could throw a nice lead right too, along with ripping body punches.

I remember about 99% of people here saying DLH could NEVER make 147. Obviously have never had a boxing career, either amateur or professional themselves, switching multiple weight classes, as anybody who has done, knows 147 is easily acheivable for DLH.

I walk around at 82kgs, and could make 63.5 (JUST) in my time. I am very close in dimension to DLH, with the exact same height.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.