Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Amir Khan "Big" as s Prince Naz was in the UK?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
gods son
Ive watched a show reel on this dude, he looks Good, but he has not fought a top ten fighter yet, so whats the deal?
Oscare4
I cant really comment about how he compares to Naz at this stage in his career cos I was too young when he was at a similar level. What I can say is that Khan has a lot of fans in Britain but also has a lot of people hoping he fails. I think a lot of this is to do with him being muslim. He has a huge ethnic following but it seems like loads of people who are slightly older and typically British do want to see him beat which Im sure has a lot to do with his race/religion.

I dont know if everyone would agree with me but thats how it seems to be around here.

EDIT:
I dont think it helped that he ran a pedestrian over on a crossing while speeding and jumping a red light in his new BMW! Most of the public think this is down to arrogance but from meeting him a couple times and boxing with his younger brother I dont get the same impression. Maybe Im slightly biased though.
and the NEW
I have stated it before and will state it again, Kahn is one of the best prospects I have seen in quiet some time come through the Olympics. The way he fought against an absolute astute and robust Mario Cesar Kindelan Mesa was something else!

His chin is the only suspect thing to me.

And his stamina if he has to go 12 tough rounds, but I'm sure with the right buildup to Championship level, he will do this fine.
ROLL DEEP
He's getting really popular now. A lot of people watch him even though they don't watch boxing.

He's not as big as Naz over here in the UK just yet, but he's getting there. Not many people dislike him, where as Naz's fans were split 50/50 between liking him or not.

He has the skills, speed, footwork and accuracy to do well....its just his chin I question.
JD
If you compare Khan at this stage of his career to Hamed at this stage of his career, I would say significantly more popular...but if you take Naz at his peak, I would say he is not there yet.

I think Khan will be bigger then Naz, and have a better career. I think they should hold off before bringing him over to the States for another year or so.
Oscare4
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ May 8 2008, 12:58 PM) [snapback]388856[/snapback]
Not many people dislike him, where as Naz's fans were split 50/50 between liking him or not.

Where abouts in the UK are you from ROLL DEEP. Im in London and for some reason a lot of people seem to dislike him. Most of it is down to jealousy though I think. Personally I think he's a great prospect as long as he keeps that chin tucked away where nobody can find it!
Maxy
I think its pretty much 50/50 with Khan over here. There are a lot of people who want to see him fail even though he comes across as a decent enough bloke. The thing that is helping him at the moment is that he boxes all his bouts on prime time free TV...even his last amateur fight was shown live on prime time over here and they've shown every single one of his bouts live since.

Personally I'm not sold on him yet. He's quick and seems to carry average power but I don't like something about him...he isn't great defensively for me and his chin still remains a doubt.

He wants to be fighting for world titles yesterday but he definitely needs a few more bouts...another year or so before I'd consider matching him with the elite. I remember Naz at a similar stage in their respective careers being booed during some of his earlier fights because his showboating was so outrageous so I think Khan is probably more popular right now.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Oscare4 @ May 8 2008, 09:30 AM) [snapback]388862[/snapback]
Where abouts in the UK are you from ROLL DEEP. Im in London and for some reason a lot of people seem to dislike him. Most of it is down to jealousy though I think. Personally I think he's a great prospect as long as he keeps that chin tucked away where nobody can find it!

I'm from Worcestershire...few minutes away from sunny Birmingham.

Yeah, there are a few people who don't like Khan. I think its because they know nothing about boxing and expect him to have won a world title already and they pissed off when he's still fighting-what they consider-'bums'.

I think he's being brought along nicely. Would be nice to see a fighter have late-20-something-30 odd fights before a world title shot, instead of a Frank Warren special.....13 fights, then you fight someone from the local kebab house for a WBO world title.
gods son
He is scheduled to fight Micheal Gomez in June, is this a step down? Gom,ez is worn and torn from my understanding!
Its a shame that the talk of khan fighting on the pacman vs Diaz undercard became just a rumour.
Maxy
Yeah its a step down in my book. Gomez is shot but Warren won't want to rush Khan, whatever Khan wants.

I read somewhere that Khan's got himself a new trainer but I can't remember who it is. Anyone know?
gods son
QUOTE(Maxy @ May 8 2008, 12:24 PM) [snapback]388880[/snapback]
Yeah its a step down in my book. Gomez is shot but Warren won't want to rush Khan, whatever Khan wants.

I read somewhere that Khan's got himself a new trainer but I can't remember who it is. Anyone know?

he has a British trainer for the Gomez bout. Then he will go with an American trainer; candidates are, Buddy , Roger Mayweather or Freddy Roach.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't pretend to know what the racial situation is in jolly ol' England but in boxing whenever a guy receives large amounts of publicity there will always be people who don't like him and will always have doubts about his quality, no matter what he does. Think ODLH back in 1995.

From the fights I have seen of him on Youtube, he looks good. He stopped Earl who was supposed to give him a rough night and he also completely outclassed St Clair. Like others here have pointed out, his defense is suspect. He has that classic European stance and he backs up straight with his chin untucked. That could cause problems but overall he is a very good fighter.
Douchebag
I haven't seen him fight so I will reserve labeling him a "bitchass" untill then.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(The Conscience @ May 8 2008, 02:20 PM) [snapback]388893[/snapback]
I haven't seen him fight so I will reserve labeling him a "bitchass" untill then.

I couldnt have said it any better.
blackbelt2003
Naz wasn't incredibly popular until he beat Steve Robinson, who was a Welsh hero. That sort of made him big news.

At the same stage of their careers, Amir is more well known and a bigger name. I doubt whether he'll become as big news as Naz was, simply because he doesn't seem to have Naz's flair or talent.

I find that most people like him and want him to do well. They seem to get the idea that he's fighting 'bums' from the papers, because, let's face it, the general public wouldn't know a bum from an ex-world champ if they smacked them in the face with a haymaker.

Personally, I think he's fighting just the right kind of people for a 21 year old kid with sixteen fights under his belt. He should keep doing this for a couple more years, gradually stepping up the competition, spend a final couple of years fighting in world class (maybe even losing one or two...it wouldn't hurt him), before clinching a title shot. By then, he'll be mid twenties, in his absolute prime and with enough experience to know what to do with a real world champ.

Imagine him in there right now with Nate Campbell or Manny Pacquiao. He'd be absolutely clueless. I think Frank Warren recognises this and is trying to defuse Khan's 'fight right now for a belt' attitude, by saying 'one more fight'...then 'one more fight' a fight later!

Black
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.