Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wlad/Peter II
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BGv2.0
You know between both these guys I actually lean toward Peter in the rematch. Although not in leaps and bounds, it does seem Peter has improved a little since their last outing. He seems to use the jab more, seems more patient and at least attempts a few combos and body shots. Wlad on the other hand has regressed IMHO. Not that it's in a way that can't net him a second win....he's much more cautious, which does give him a safety net....but makes for awfully boring fights.

I don't put a lot of stock in the McCline fight with Peter. Despite that showing, he won the fight and displayed heart and determination with a foe he took lightly. I think Peter will come in ready to avenge his only loss and I'm 100% sure he will not take Wlad lightly. AND...I have no doubt Wlad has the tools needed to beat Peter again, I just wonder if he will be overly cautious due to being KD 3x in their last fight.

Wlad looked awful in being painfully TOO cautious with his last opponent, he allowed a guy to linger all 12 rounds due to not wanting to go for the kill.....a mistake he cannot afford to repeat with a decent power puncher like Peter, that will no doubt make attempts to get a KO if he's behind.

I also am not sure what to make of Wlad's extreame cautioun first approach, it makes me question his mental makeup, which in turn makes me question how he will feel getting back in with a guy that knocked him around and seems to have improved. Wlad did very well in this same situation with Brewster, but Brewster, unlike Peter....pretty well looked to be a different fighter after the Sergi fight.

So any thought on how this plays out based on both guys recent fights?
BGv2.0
Well....I typed this whole damn thing only to realize that a Peter/VITALI fight is on the horizon.

I suppose the same discussion can be interesting.

BUT...in relation to Peter/Vitali.....I think Peter wins it hands down.

I think it's a real bone head move for Vitali to take on an active champion after YEARS of inactivity. Plus I question his body's ability to hold up.

I think Peter wins by injury stoppage or by UD.
ROLL DEEP
Even though Vitali has been inactive for years, I still think he can pull it off.

I've never been overly impressed with Peter. He's solid, but I think Vitali is a better fighter. Vitali will keep him at bay with his reach. Vitali has always been better at using his reach than Wladimir. He's good at firing long, rangey shots before backing off out of the distance. This is how the fight will play out I think.
Boxingjunkie
This could be an interesting fight. Peter really hasnt looked that good in his last couple of fights and Vitali has been away so long he will be rusty as hell. Honestly I think its crazy that Vitali is even getting a shot at the title like this. I think Peter will come in more prepared and win a decision.
BGv2.0
Roll....normally, I'd pretty much agree with that....BUT....this man has been on the shelf for 3+ years!!!!

When you give me a choice between an active fighter and an inactive one....I'll choose the active one every time. Sure Vitali has that reach, but he has not used it in years.

One thing is for certain....win or lose Vitali can be crowned Champion on this night.....HW Champion should he get a win...and Champion of F'N Morons if he looses....because IMHO he will be a total MORON if he steps through those ropes without so much as 1 single tune up bout.

Peter is set to fight in July in preparation for this fight, they are tossing out names like Chapman or Golota. Vitali had better do the same.

I don't think his sheer size and rusted ability will be enough to beat a focused Peter.
ROLL DEEP
Yeah, I know its pretty crazy for Vitali to have this as a first fight back; a pressuring, heavy hitter like Peter. Don't know why he didn't have a tune up fight, but I'm still liking Vitali for the win, although I wont be surprised if he loses, I still think he'll take it.

Anyway....the fights gotta happen yet!
JD
I think the difference is that Peter would get knocked out this time.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(JD @ May 9 2008, 05:14 PM) [snapback]389033[/snapback]
I think the difference is that Peter would get knocked out this time.

With Wlad, Vitali or both?

And I'm just curious, do you base this on the McCline deal?
Mean Mister Mustard
Vitali has not fought since 2004, he will be rusty as hell not to mention privy to getting injured in the ring. I think the 2004 version of Vitali wipes the floor with Peter but today that's a different story.
JD
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ May 9 2008, 06:45 PM) [snapback]389036[/snapback]
With Wlad, Vitali or both?

And I'm just curious, do you base this on the McCline deal?

Vitali beating Peter would not surprise me at all.

I was referring to Wlad though. Peter is a conventional fighter, not terribly quick fisted, skilled, or good with his feet, and Wlad has already been in with him and is a lot more comfortable now. When Wlad finally did punch with Peter, he hurt him badly...I think he would be confident in there. Add that to the fact that I see Peter regressing quite a bit over time (with the lone exception being the second Toney fight, but Toney's size and shape might have had something to do with that) and I can see Wlad landing on Peter at will and hurting him badly.

This is not based on the McCline deal solely...that fight just further confirmed to me that Peter is regressing, and reminded us all know he can be hurt - but I do not think it means he has a weak chin at all. The Maskaev fight was a case of Oleg cashing out, and even then, he clipped and stunned Peter when he let his hands go. On the flipside, the Ibragimov fight was a case of Wlad not being comfortable fighting a southpaw who has handspeed, and Manny drawing up a terribly boring gameplan.

I could well be wrong and Peter lands some clubbing shots, spooks Wlad and is able to get him out of there...but I do not see it that way, at least not based upon what I have seen out of these guys as time has gone by.
stateofthegame
I'd take Peter over Vitali, but it will never happen because Vitali will get injured in camp again and everything will be postponed.

As for Wlad/Peter II, not going to happen because Tony Thompson is going to knock Wlad out.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Vitali would have a rough 3 or 4 rounds against Peter due to the ring rust factor, but it depends of Peter comes out to exploit that or if he fights more controlled. After 3 or 4 rounds of shaking off the cob webs, I think Vitali would begin to take over the fight. I see no reason to believe Peter would stand up to Vitali's bombs having seen him get rocked by lesser punches. I'd probably pick it Vitali by late stoppage, but after some rough moments early. Entertaining fight without question.

BigG
Peter's improved skillwise, since the first Toney fight but he still cant outbox Wlad. So Wlad will probably just jab-hold his way to another decision unless Peter touches him with something big.

People say Peter looked like shit against McCline but I personally thought it was a good performance. Sure getting knocked down 3x by McCline doesn't look good on record but what impressed me is Peter didn't fold and he kept up the pressure and won a CLEAR win decision.

As for Vitali, fuck him...I'm sure he is gonna pull out because of some injury like he did 5 or 6 times with Rahman and like he did last year with McCline.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think Peter's chin is questionable at best and he is hittable. Toney hurt him at times in the first fight and McCline obvioulsy hurt him as well.

I think Vitali stands a punchers chance.

I'm personally not that high on Peter, I think he's a pile of overrated garbage. I think Wlad beats him again, pretty much like most other posters, by being cautious and sticking a jab in his face all night.

If Vitali wins I think it will be by knockout.

Man for guy bought up on prime Tyson, Bowe/Holyfield and then the reign of Lennox (not to forget the 2nd tier just below them-Moorer/Tua/Ibeabuchi/Mercer etc) sitting around discussing the merits of Wlad/Peter/Vitali is pretty depressing!

I think a prime Oliver McCall would beat all 3 of those dudes!!
JD
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ May 10 2008, 12:33 AM) [snapback]389060[/snapback]
I think a prime Oliver McCall would beat all 3 of those dudes!!

LOL...I understand EXACTLY what you are saying here...but...here is the real question:

What is a prime Oliver McCall?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(JD @ May 10 2008, 06:57 AM) [snapback]389068[/snapback]
LOL...I understand EXACTLY what you are saying here...but...here is the real question:

What is a prime Oliver McCall?

Ha ha, yeah I was almost going to mention that in my original post!!

Ironically I think McCall spent his prime serving as Tyson's chief sparring partner, and many in the know concede that the 'baddest man on the planet' never succeeded in putting 'the atomic bull' on his arse.

and then lets not forget the one and a half seconds he closed his eyes and swung against Lewis in their first fight. Prime!
salvador
Vitali takes Peter because Vitali's jab was tailor made for a big slow guy with short arms who comes forward. Vitali's jab has much more weight behind it than Wlad's does, and if Vitali doesn't have to reach with it (which he won't with Peter coming forward), Vitali is going to have a field day with Peter's chin.

I think the fight will be ugly, with Peter getting in and rough housing on the inside as much as possible, but he's going to have to eat a lot of stiff jabs in the mean time and Vitali can take a hell of a punch.

BrutalBodyShots
My pick of a rusty Vitali over Peter has less to do with how much I think of Vitali, but how little I think of Peter. I really see nothing special in the guy. I still consider his career highlight knocking out Jeremy Williams and basically ending his career sending him to The Contender. Yeah his best win was probably the second Toney fight, but Toney looked HORRIBLE that night. I mean come on now, getting floored by a jab? Toney had nothing that night.

kidbazooka1
Peter by brutal KO.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ May 10 2008, 11:56 PM) [snapback]389120[/snapback]
Peter by brutal KO.

'
I don't think 'Peter' and 'brutal' belong in the same sentence.

Despite all his knockouts all I can ever remember is him able to do shit to James Toney former middleweight champion of the world (and yes I even mean the 2nd fight where Toney was just plain awful).

Sorry knocking out tomato cans don't count.

Sam, to me you'll always be a marshmellow with arms.
Warlord
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ May 9 2008, 11:10 PM) [snapback]389057[/snapback]
As for Vitali, fuck him...I'm sure he is gonna pull out because of some injury like he did 5 or 6 times with Rahman and like he did last year with McCline.

Rahman is lucky Vitali pulled out "5 or 6 times," as that's 5 or 6 ass whuppin's he avoided. I still laugh when anyone seriously suggests Hasim Rahman ever had a chance to do anything other than get himself killed against Vitali Klitchsko. Rock candy got lucky against Lennox Lewis ONCE. Not twice. Let's not make him greater than he was.

As for Vitali versus Peter, I agree with everyone else who says this fight never happens. Vitali doesn't make it out of training camp, so it makes predictions moot. If he DOES make it through camp, and he DOES stay injury free during the fight, then he DOES defeat Sam Peter. Probably by TKO if Peter's recent performances are any indication. Skillwise he was always shit, but now his chin is looking suspect as well. Not a good combination when facing a long armed, boxer-puncher with an unorthodox (eurotrash) style of fighting.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ May 11 2008, 01:47 AM) [snapback]389124[/snapback]
'
I don't think 'Peter' and 'brutal' belong in the same sentence.

Despite all his knockouts all I can ever remember is him able to do shit to James Toney former middleweight champion of the world (and yes I even mean the 2nd fight where Toney was just plain awful).

Sorry knocking out tomato cans don't count.

Sam, to me you'll always be a marshmellow with arms.

But compared to how Wlad fought in his last outing Peter looks like a young Mike Tyson.
D-MARV
I have always thought Sam Peter was some shit...
Has anyone saw his early career fights? He was more ripped, stronger, and alot faster than he is now. It's almost like he has aged out already. He is fat now, has no stamina, and his punches are nothing more than clubbing shots that almost never lands clean. You toss in the fact that his chin has been checked a few times then that = disaster for the Nigerian Nightmare.

Now on the flip side, he is a better boxer. He uses his Jab more, he is more patient, and he has added some head movement. But against fighters Like Wlad and Vitali, This new style that Peter has will get him Murdered!

Wlad KO 9
Vitali TKO11

I would favor the following over Peter:
Chagaev
Valuev
Ruiz, Yes the "Quietman"

Fighters like Kevin Johnson, Eddie Chambers, and Tony Thompson would all be even money in my book!
streetlion1
Peter takes this one. IF he can get past the jab. I see him as the best heavy in the division right now and dont see that changing anytime soon.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ May 11 2008, 02:07 PM) [snapback]389157[/snapback]
But compared to how Wlad fought in his last outing Peter looks like a young Mike Tyson.

And I guess compared to Brian Minto, Peter looks like a young Ali.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ May 11 2008, 07:04 PM) [snapback]389166[/snapback]
Peter takes this one. IF he can get past the jab. I see him as the best heavy in the division right now and dont see that changing anytime soon.

If he can get past the jab? That's one hell of a qualifier.

Warlord
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ May 11 2008, 06:04 PM) [snapback]389166[/snapback]

laugh.gif Stick to wrestling, kid.
BigG
I like Peter but I don't think he is anything special. He is just above-average but he is quite exciting IMO..and a breathe of fresh air.

if this was the Vitali K of the Lewis fight, I'd pick him to beat Peter without a doubt.. but Vitali cant even make it through training camp without getting injured. And he's been out of the ring for a few years. I hope he just isn't wasting everyones time with this new comeback attempt.
buford54
Wlad will win by another semi-boring UD. Steward won't let him take the risks that would be necessary to knock him out...so it goes to the cards in a Lewis-esque: jab, jab, jab, jab, jab RIGHT HAND, grab fest.

IF Vitali makes it through camp...he'll win by knockout. His chin is too tough, and he fights to knock people out.
The Vitali fight would be a lot more exciting. Peter will have a much better chance in a fight against Vitali, because Vitali will engage him, and Vitali pulls straight back, which give Peter's clubbing shots a better chance at landing...but I don't think he can pull it off. Especially not since getting floored 3 times by McCline.
I think Vitli would have him out in 7.

It's great that Peter learned to box a little and all, but the jab and left hook counter that he learned against James Toney won't work against guys who can punch and are bigger than him.
D-MARV
Oh I forgot!
I would even take Sultan Ibragimov over Sam Peter
sweetchuck
I don't see the Wlad fight going much different than the first, except Wlad might stay up this time. Wlad stayed on the outside so much and didn't go in for the kill with Ibragimov because Sultan can punch and has fast hands. Sure Wlad might have stopped Sultan if he turned it up, but he might have opened himself up too much. I think a rematch with Peter looks like the second fight with Lamon Brewster. I don't see Peter retiring in his corner so I see a calculated beating over 12 rounds. If Wlad stops Peter it will be because the referee or doctor stops it.

With Vitali, well, I agree that it has a good chance of not happening either due to an injury or if he get elected mayor. The election is a big reason why it won't happen until the fall. If Vitali wins the election I can see him staying out of the ring. If he loses the election, he'll go back into training where he will most likely get injured. If that doesn't happen, I think he will get top of the line sparring to help knock off as much ring rust as possible. Peter will have success in the first few rounds, but I think Vitali will get going and win the latter rounds to take a decision.

I think Peter has lost something after the first fight with Wlad. Then again he wasn't very active after the Toney fights. I don't think either Klitschko will stop Peter because he can take all those bombs thrown by the Klitschko's because he'll see them coming. Peter's weakness is speed and that's why Toney had hurt him and McCline dropped him. If McCline had stamina he might have beat Peter, but he spent his load in the early rounds. I don't think Peter has greatly improve or else he wouldn't have looked like he sleep walked through his fight with Maskaev. Maybe that will help Peter get more to watch him considering he is not a sure win everytime out, yet he always has a puncher's chance. If Sam changed his training methods to give him better conditioning he will make things easier on himself and more people would believe all those Don King (I mean Duva Boxing) press releases saying he's the next heavyweight great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.