Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto v Margarito Done Deal
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Elijah
The fight of the summer is signed, sealed and delivered.

Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto will face Antonio Margarito on July 26 in an HBO PPV bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas now that both have signed for the much-anticipated fight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday.

"I get really excited about a fight like this because I know it can't be anything but great," Arum said. "That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing."

The fight matching two of boxing's most exciting fighters has been on track since April 12, when they both knocked out opponents on the same card.

Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs), of Puerto Rico, stopped "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez in the fifth round to retain his 147-pound belt for the fourth time and Margarito blew out Kermit Cintron via sixth-round knockout in a rematch.

"These guys both have great chins, great determination and great power," Arum said. "It's going to be some battle. I just hope that they are not ruined from a fight like this."

Mexico's Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) won a world title from Cintron, but he will relinquish it in order to face Cotto rather than fight Joshua Clottey in a far less lucrative mandatory match. Arum said Margarito would officially renounce his title "within the next week."

Before Margarito, 30, defeated Cintron, he had already agreed to terms for the Cotto fight as long as they both won on April 12, Arum said. Cotto, 27, was also committed to the fight, but did not sign until Wednesday night, Arum said.

"Margarito signed off before his fight with Cintron," Arum said. "Cotto wanted the fight but we were going over terms and minutia, and finally Miguel and his team agreed on everything last night."

Arum would not divulge their purses, which will eventually be public when the contracts are filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission. However, Arum said each would receive "by far the biggest purse they have ever gotten." Besides the purse, each fighter will receive a percentage of the profits from the pay-per-view revenue.

Cotto's biggest purse was $3.2 million for his November victory against Shane Mosley. Margarito earned a $1.2 million purse when he lost a version of the title to Paul Williams last summer.

The fight will officially be announced during a four-city media blitz next week. They'll kick off the promotion with a news conference Monday in Mexico City followed by a stop Tuesday in Los Angeles, Thursday in New York and Friday in San Juan.

The fight will mark Cotto's first bout in Las Vegas since he knocked out Randall Bailey in a junior welterweight title defense on the December 2004 undercard of the Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams heavyweight fight.

Since then, Cotto has fought either in Puerto Rico, New York or Atlantic City, N.J. Arum said he felt it was important to establish Cotto on the West Coast, where Margarito has a following.

"Based on Cotto's fights with Zab Judah and Mosley, he has established a good East Coast base on pay-per-view," Arum said. "We felt his base would be loyal and we needed a big West Coast presence. We think the great Mexican fans will come out for Margarito, so it made sense to do the fight in the West rather than the East. We couldn't do it in Las Vegas until they changed the rule on the gloves."

A few weeks ago, the Nevada commission amended its rule on glove size. It had in place a provisional rule that mandated welterweights wear 10-ounce gloves rather than the traditional 8-ounce gloves worn in virtually every other jurisdiction in the world. Cotto and Margarito both prefer the 8-ounce gloves and Arum refused to put the fight on in Nevada until the temporary rule, which was up for review, was changed.

Arum said he has not set the undercard yet but said he wanted to include rising junior welterweight contender Mike Alvarado on the card.

"Alvarado is one guy I really want on the card in a good fight," Arum said. "After that, we're open. I'll be discussing it with my matchmakers."

Should be a great fight, I like Cotto by UD.
Nay_Sayer
Margarito may be slow and throw looping punches but he is a big, strong, real welterweight. I think he gives Cotto all he can handle and then some. IF he should somehow survive Antonio, Floyd would be wise to get him in the ring ASAP, IMO...
BigG
Margarito is slow, poor defense, and a come forward fighter..so Cotto might havea field day and land alot of clean shots upstairs and to the body. But then if Margarito holds up he could hurt Cotto late. It's a great interesting fight...its gonna be brutal for sure. I'm leaning towards Cotto by close decision after some scary moments late in the fight.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ May 15 2008, 12:39 PM) [snapback]389572[/snapback]
Margarito is slow, poor defense, and a come forward fighter..so Cotto might havea field day and land alot of clean shots upstairs and to the body. But then if Margarito holds up he could hurt Cotto late. It's a great interesting fight...its gonna be brutal for sure. I'm leaning towards Cotto by close decision after some scary moments late in the fight.

my take exactly I dont see either fighter fighting for at least a year after this war.

Arum should put clottey on the undercard isnt he gonna fight for the vacant ibf when margarito vacates it?

treyes7123
Yes, this fight is going to be off the hinges fo shinges!
BrutalBodyShots
I'll be the first I guess to go against the grain and take Margarito by CLOSE decision.

I think this fight will resemble Mosley-Cotto quite a bit (which I scored 114-113 Mosley by the way) where Margarito will win the majority of the late rounds and lose a good amount of the early rounds while Cotto is fresh and sharp with that jab. I guess the only question is at what point Margarito begins to take over the fight, and from a scoring perspective if that comes soon enough or too late.

Like the Mosley fight though, I think if it is a CLOSE fight the chances of Cotto remaining undefeated is much better than the lesser skilled work horse in Margarito getting the decision. Margarito unlike Mosley though does throw many more punches, and we know that recently judges have been scoring quantity over quality in many quite a few fights (Hopkins/Calzaghe comes to mind).

I think size is a HUGE factor in this fight. Cotto hasn't fought a BIG welter yet. Urkal, Judah etc are blown up 140 pounders. Mosley was probably the biggest guy he fought, and like I said IMO Cotto lost that fight. We saw Cotto struggle, and had Mosley been a little smaller Cotto probably wouldn't have struggled. Margarito on the other hand has been in with some big guys. Cintron is big, Williams is big. From a size perspective I don't think Margarito will be seeing anything he hasn't yet seen, but Cotto on the other hand will be seeing something new. I think Margarito will be able to take it a little better than Cotto can take it.

Which brings me to body punching. Both guys are superb body punchers and can (and have recently) ended fights with single body shots. Who will get to who's body first and best? To me this is another huge factor. Again, Margarito having fought bigger guys over a longer period of time I would expect him to take it to the body a little better than Cotto can take it to the body, so if they were going to play a "punch for punch" body shot game I'd pick Margarito to grit it out and win. Lots of factors to consider when picking this fight, but I'll stick with Margarito by CLOSE decision.

Mean Mister Mustard
I am a fan of both these fighters, so it's hard to root for one of them and even worse have to pick one to win. But I take Cotto by UD easy. Cotto is a good defensive fighter when he focuses soley on making a guy miss. Margarito is slow and not all that accurate if he is in with a guy who knows how to move. Look at his fight with Lujan in 2005. Lujan was able to make Margarito look like an amateur by ducking and slipping his punches and then countering with hard hooks. Margarito was able to step it up when Lujan began to tire and from then on Lujan was "all ears".

Take into account that Cotto is a much better fighter than Lujan both in handspeed, defense and power. Can Margario take 8 rounds of punishment. Watch the Lujan fight to see how this one will go down. It doesn't hurt either that Lujan looks a lot like Cotto.

My question is, if Cotto doesn't take Margarito out of there in 8 or 9, will Tony be able to finish strong after absorbing Cotto's punishment? Only 2 guys have been able to take Cotto into deep water. N'Dou closed strong and so did Mosley. Can Margarito do it?
KookedKrack
This will be an way easier fight for cotto than zab and mosley
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(KookedKrack @ May 15 2008, 03:59 PM) [snapback]389607[/snapback]
This will be an way easier fight for cotto than zab and mosley

True we all know margarito doesnt have half the speed and boxing skills that shane and zab have.

but one thing Marg does match up with shane with is his chin. marg will keep moving foward taking some punishment but still dishing some out.

Cotto by UD but will take some lumps along the way
rusty_trombone
oh man, i can't wait for this beatdown. i don't think anyone realizes what a mismatch this really is.
D-MARV
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 15 2008, 06:35 PM) [snapback]389612[/snapback]
oh man, i can't wait for this beatdown. i don't think anyone realizes what a mismatch this really is.

Mismatch for who?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ May 15 2008, 06:42 PM) [snapback]389616[/snapback]
Mismatch for who?

i thought from my sig, that would be fairly obvious. but i have been a clear cut margarito hater for a while, mainly because of some of his retarded fans that think he's some of world beater or "most feared fighter on the planet"
Douchebag
Cotto has been known to open up very ugly cuts on his opponents. Margarito is going be eating A LOT of leather early in this fight. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 15 2008, 05:48 PM) [snapback]389620[/snapback]
i thought from my sig, that would be fairly obvious. but i have been a clear cut margarito hater for a while, mainly because of some of his retarded fans that think he's some of world beater or "most feared fighter on the planet"

The thing with you Rusty, is that you are not in a message board that includes many Margarito lovers. You should probably try Maxboxing.
D-MARV
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 15 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]389620[/snapback]

You know what dude, I never really paid attention to your sig! LOL
Can You Please Add Me To The club. I CANT STAND TONY!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ May 15 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]389629[/snapback]
You know what dude, I never really paid attention to your sig! LOL
Can You Please Add Me To The club. I CANT STAND TONY!

of course, everyone is welcome on the hate wagon. i still can't believe ceo took his down. anyone else want to hop on while the gettin is good?
Douchebag
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 15 2008, 08:40 PM) [snapback]389646[/snapback]
of course, everyone is welcome on the hate wagon. i still can't believe ceo took his down. anyone else want to hop on while the gettin is good?

You can add me to that shit.
The CEO
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]389626[/snapback]
The thing with you Rusty, is that you are not in a message board that includes many Margarito lovers.....

That's because we targeted and eliminated them.....the select few that were spared are good posters and weren't annoying.... friends.gif
JD
Cotto is more skilled and more complete...he is also sharper, but he is smaller, less active, and does not have as good of a chin nor the same stamina - Cotto stamina is damn good, Margarito's is fantastic. Margarito is a bad style matchup for him in my opinion.

Terrific fight, I think Cotto's fighting spirit will be his downfall and Margarito's chin the difference for him. Cotto builds a lead early, but Margarito chips away and stops him late is my call here.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The Conscience @ May 15 2008, 08:45 PM) [snapback]389647[/snapback]
You can add me to that shit.

hell yeah! tell your friends aggressive.gif
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JD @ May 15 2008, 09:23 PM) [snapback]389656[/snapback]
Terrific fight, I think Cotto's fighting spirit will be his downfall and Margarito's chin the difference for him. Cotto builds a lead early, but Margarito chips away and stops him late is my call here.

Nice call JD. I too think the possibility is there that Cotto gets stopped late and I wouldn't be surprised by it at all... I think Cotto will have JUST enough to make it to the final bell though. I think this is going to be one of those fights that at the end we say "Cotto is lucky this wasn't a 15 rounder like the old days" because at the end I think it's going to be very clear who the "beaten" man is.

The CEO
I'm taking Cotto in this matchup...and although I'm thinking it'll be by close decision, it wouldn't surprise ME if Cotto makes a statement and stops Marg late.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]389626[/snapback]
The thing with you Rusty, is that you are not in a message board that includes many Margarito lovers. You should probably try Maxboxing.

yeah, alot of them stopped posting after williams beat him. there used to be a bunch, plus i know a few annoying ones in "real life" so it carries over to here.

and thanks for sending me to max, you dickhead. maybe you should try doghouse. thumbsdown_anim.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 15 2008, 10:09 PM) [snapback]389680[/snapback]
yeah, alot of them stopped posting after williams beat him. there used to be a bunch, plus i know a few annoying ones in "real life" so it carries over to here.

and thanks for sending me to max, you dickhead. maybe you should try doghouse. thumbsdown_anim.gif

Why? Are there more Margarito lovers in Doghouseboxing? Either way, Mazboxing is filled with Margarito fans, you should take your mission there, while posting here at the same time of course. Because you are wasting a perfectly good bandwagon on thin air here.

The Original MrFactor
I'm picking Margarito by KO in about 8 rounds. Margarito is gonna have a field day with the much smaller Cotto. Like BBS said, I expect a competitive hard to score fight until Margarito takes over around the 4th or 5th round. Cotto will be outta there by the 8th...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2008, 11:29 PM) [snapback]389682[/snapback]
Why? Are there more Margarito lovers in Doghouseboxing? Either way, Mazboxing is filled with Margarito fans, you should take your mission there, while posting here at the same time of course. Because you are wasting a perfectly good bandwagon on thin air here.

i don't know, iwas just joking about doghouse, never been there.

hay i've signed up 2 new members in the last 24 hours, the hate wagon continues to grow.
JD
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ May 15 2008, 10:19 PM) [snapback]389670[/snapback]
Nice call JD. I too think the possibility is there that Cotto gets stopped late and I wouldn't be surprised by it at all... I think Cotto will have JUST enough to make it to the final bell though. I think this is going to be one of those fights that at the end we say "Cotto is lucky this wasn't a 15 rounder like the old days" because at the end I think it's going to be very clear who the "beaten" man is.

I think this will be a great fight though...and neither man is going to be the same at the end of the night.
Douchebag
Cotto makes a statement in this fight. Mark my words! Those that say that Mosley is the the biggest Welter that Cotto has face are wrong. Gomez fought at 160 for the contender, now I'm not saying he is of the same pedigree as Shane but he is the bigger man none the less.
salvador
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 15 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]389620[/snapback]

I'm a huge Margarito fan because I love his style. He comes forward relentlessly, throws tons of heavy punches, and is willing to take 2 to land 1. How in the world could anyone who loves boxing hate Margarito?

And I don't think many of his fans believe he's the greatest fighter at ww right now, but he was ducked shamelessly by the best wws and the sport of boxing was less than it could have been as a consequence. It's just a fact.

I love Cotto for the same basic reasons I like Margarito. Cotto's faster and more skilled, but Margarito's chin is going to be the difference in this fight.

And anyone who thinks Judah is a tougher fight for Cotto than Margarito has to be retarded.
Eaner0919
QUOTE(The Conscience @ May 16 2008, 07:58 AM) [snapback]389708[/snapback]
Cotto makes a statement in this fight. Mark my words! Those that say that Mosley is the the biggest Welter that Cotto has face are wrong. Gomez fought at 160 for the contender, now I'm not saying he is of the same pedigree as Shane but he is the bigger man none the less.

Gomez was for the most part was training lightly so he could stay at that weight because he was nowhere near the size of the other participants. Gomez is nowhere near a 160lb fighter. It's like saying Forbes is a 147lb fighter because he had to fight there in his season.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Eaner0919 @ May 16 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]389728[/snapback]
Gomez was for the most part was training lightly so he could stay at that weight because he was nowhere near the size of the other participants. Gomez is nowhere near a 160lb fighter. It's like saying Forbes is a 147lb fighter because he had to fight there in his season.

Yup. Cotto looked bigger than Gomez when they fought, so no way was Gomez the "bigger man" that night. Also Gomez CAN'T PUNCH to save his life. At least Mosley at 147 was able to show some power.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JD @ May 16 2008, 08:32 AM) [snapback]389706[/snapback]
I think this will be a great fight though...and neither man is going to be the same at the end of the night.

Which isn't all too big of a deal for Margarito who's been fighting almost 15 years and really isn't getting any better at this stage. Margarito has essentially already peaked. What concerns me is that Cotto is only 27 and is seemingly getting better and better. It looks like he could continue to improve a few more years. Factor in a life and death fight at this stage against Margarito and Cotto may put a long of ring years on his age in 36 minutes. This could be one of those fights where Cotto wins the battle (gets a decision) but loses the war.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ May 16 2008, 12:38 PM) [snapback]389741[/snapback]
Margarito has essentially already peaked.

More like, reached the top of a small hill.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(The Conscience @ May 15 2008, 05:49 PM) [snapback]389621[/snapback]
Cotto has been known to open up very ugly cuts on his opponents. Margarito is going be eating A LOT of leather early in this fight. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Hint: The Santos rematch fight.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ May 16 2008, 11:23 AM) [snapback]389727[/snapback]
but he was ducked shamelessly by the best wws and the sport of boxing was less than it could have been as a consequence. It's just a fact.

Ducked by Who? Mayweather?

This is not a fact it's YOUR opinion
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ May 16 2008, 07:58 AM) [snapback]389708[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? Gomez and Margarito are miles apart...
kidbazooka1
Cotto's versatility will make the difference in the fight but Antonio ain't going down easy it should be a war.

Cotto by UD.
salvador
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ May 16 2008, 01:00 PM) [snapback]389746[/snapback]
Ducked by Who? Mayweather?

This is not a fact it's YOUR opinion

At the time Mosley fought Estrada and Cruz, Mosley openly stated that he wasn't ready for Margarito. That's a fact.

Virtually every boxing writer in the world wanted Floyd to fight Margarito for the $8MM, but he chose to fight Baldomir instead for an extra dollar and got to have the pleasure of having Goosen's hand in his pocket. Margarito would have been a MUCH bigger trophy on Floyd's resume. And don't give me any bullshit about the undisputed title, because if that was so important to Floyd he would have fought Baldomir before he fought Judah.

Judah could have made way more fighting Margarito than fighting Rivera or Baldomir, but he chose the easier fights because he didn't want to risk his payday with Floyd.

These were the top fighters at the time and they all chose not to fight Tony and instead took less money to fight easier opponents. If that's not "ducking", what is it, "avoiding"?

Tony's a big ww who may be slow, but he's got a great chin and he'd be a hard fight for ANY ww. And the truth is he's always represented too much risk - especially for the smaller wws like Floyd and Judah.

And no, I'm not going to waste any more time on this stupid fucking argument.
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ May 16 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]389747[/snapback]
Margarito is fun to watch but some may not warm to him because they prefer a good boxer with a bit of skill. Kind of liking eating at McDonald's. Sure it's quite nice, but it's still junk food and eating some nice food at a proper restaurant is better.

If Margarito is fast food, what's Floyd, gourmet food?

D-MARV
QUOTE(salvador @ May 16 2008, 02:40 PM) [snapback]389755[/snapback]
At the time Mosley fought Estrada and Cruz, Mosley openly stated that he wasn't ready for Margarito. That's a fact.

Virtually every boxing writer in the world wanted Floyd to fight Margarito for the $8MM, but he chose to fight Baldomir instead for an extra dollar and got to have the pleasure of having Goosen's hand in his pocket. Margarito would have been a MUCH bigger trophy on Floyd's resume. And don't give me any bullshit about the undisputed title, because if that was so important to Floyd he would have fought Baldomir before he fought Judah.

Judah could have made way more fighting Margarito than fighting Rivera or Baldomir, but he chose the easier fights because he didn't want to risk his payday with Floyd.

These were the top fighters at the time and they all chose not to fight Tony and instead took less money to fight easier opponents. If that's not "ducking", what is it, "avoiding"?

Tony's a big ww who may be slow, but he's got a great chin and he'd be a hard fight for ANY ww. And the truth is he's always represented too much risk - especially for the smaller wws like Floyd and Judah.

And no, I'm not going to waste any more time on this stupid fucking argument again.

Yes please dont waste any time cuz your wrong on this one!

Mayweather wasn't ready for the August date the Arum provided! He hurt his hand in the Judah fight so he wanted more time off. Arum then told Mayweather that he wasn't going to do the Oscar fight so then Floyd and Arum had their beef and Floyd walked. Floyd has then said that he will not do business with Arum! Ellerbe then got Floyd the fight with Oscar which would pay Floyd 20 million. But Oscar told Floyd he had to wait until May of 2007. Floyd then decided to take the least risk-most reward fight in the meantime while he waited for Oscar. I dont call this ducking! I call this smart money!

Who da fuck has Margarito beaten to make him the most feared fighter in the world?

Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ May 16 2008, 01:28 PM) [snapback]389749[/snapback]
You're kidding, right? Gomez and Margarito are miles apart...

Never said they weren't what I was referring to was the Fact that Gomez is the biggest man that Cotto has fought at Welter and not Mosley. I didn't not say anything about ability, my comment was purely about size in the ring.
D-MARV
I see Cotto stopping TOny late in the fight! Somewhere between rounds 9 and 11. Cotto's speed and technique will take over late and Tony's organs will be touch quite a bit!
Mean Mister Mustard
Another reason why I am picking Cotto is Margarito's pourous defense. That coupled with his slow hands makes him an easy targer for a guy of Cotto's quality.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ May 16 2008, 04:58 PM) [snapback]389777[/snapback]
That coupled with his slow hands makes him an easy targer for a guy of Cotto's quality.

That's what this fight is going to be son, target practice. Margarito is a walking heavy bag.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think Margarito is going to give him a tough fight and will have his moments but I wonder if he will even make it to the 8 or 9th round.
The CEO
After both guys settle in, Cotto's advantages in speed and overall skills are gonna be more glaring than people think....neutralizing Margarito's size and reach. I personally see power and stamina going either way...but straight lines are better than curves if you know what I mean...

In my opinion...when it's all said and done...Marg only has workrate and chin over Cotto....but then again...Cotto has one of the best body attacks in the business...which WILL lower Marg's punch output...

I'm tellin' y'all...Cotto's gonna break Margarito from the inside out...it's the perfect matchup for that scenario.

Yes...it WILL be a fucking battle in there...and Cotto's pride could put him in danger or get him stopped....but in the end, I see Cotto's "Power Boxing" prevailing....

Sig bet, anyone?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ May 16 2008, 11:19 PM) [snapback]389835[/snapback]
Probably vegetarian.

More like chicken...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 16 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]389784[/snapback]
Margarito is a walking heavy bag.

Yeah, but heavy bags don't ever fall.

BigG
I'm telling you..no matter how tough you are, getting hit constantly against COTTO will wear you down. All I know is this fight is gonna be brutal....maybe on the level of Vazquez-Marquez.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ May 17 2008, 05:00 AM) [snapback]389875[/snapback]
Yeah, but heavy bags don't ever fall.

yeah, but this particular heavy bag bleeds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.