Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing After Dark (Results/ Comments) SPOILERS WITHIN.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
rusty_trombone
It is about 2 hours till showtime and I am already hammered. Jesus, why can't boxing after dark be on earlier. There is only one thing that can cure this, and it is more beer.
rusty_trombone
what the fuck is that shit on the side of albert's head?
Jack 1000
Sorry, I fell asleep!

Anybody post results/comments when known.

Jack
rusty_trombone
damn. anne wolfe is a beast. don't lick a puppy in the mouth son dntknw.gif
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ May 17 2008, 09:59 PM) [snapback]389990[/snapback]
Sorry, I fell asleep!

Anybody post results/comments when known.

Jack

Kirkland won. KO 1:06 Round one.
Mean Mister Mustard
Someone PM if you have a stream of the B.A.D card please.
rusty_trombone
OMFG! Angulo's corner is using a frozen Frito's dip can as an endswell!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA
thefloatingmonkey
Gamboa looks like he might be good in the future. Definitely gifted as Max told us 700+ times during the fight. Gamboa really needs to keep his hands up and work on his defense. A little too cocky too. Even after getting knocked down he still wouldn't put his friggin hands up.
BigG
Gamboa is the future of 130...
kidbazooka1
Gamboa definitly has all the potential in the world but if he doesn't learn to keep his hands up or atleast keep them whne needed he could find himself in seriouse trouble in the future. Other than the KD Gamboa dominated and showed a complete arsenal of punches.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ May 18 2008, 02:09 AM) [snapback]390032[/snapback]
Gamboa is the future of 130...

Gamboa may be the future of 130 but it will be short lived. When this guy steps up his competition to someone who has speed and power like his he will wilt away. The guy had 450 amateur fights and still doesnt know how to hold his hands up. If he is going to be successful he better find a corner that knows how to train. Even after he got knocked down I never heard his corner tell him to keep his hands up. Gamboa seemed to get a little frustrated because he couldnt hurt Jiminez. What till he fights someone at the top with more power than Jiminez.
sweetchuck
They Bogarted Gamboa last night. I think he's good and is interesting to watch, but to compare him to Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed, and Roy Jones among others is giving him way too much. Putting him over Cassamayor like they did was wrong. Funny they said Cassamayor was never that exciting, what about his fights with Diego Corrales, Acelino Frietas and most recently Michael Katsidis. Yeah I can see Gamboa maybe winning a world title, but to even put him in the same category as Linares like they did was wrong. He's got speed, decent power, but the question is what's going to happen to him when he's truly pressured. That's the test he needs to pass before giving him half of the credit he got last night.

The two highlights of the evening were Kirkland and when Michael Buffer had to say "For those in attendence..." because there wasn't even a thousand people.
D-MARV
Gamboa was tested alittle last night! I think he will learn alot form that fight though. He will be a star!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(sweetchuck @ May 18 2008, 06:34 PM) [snapback]390103[/snapback]
They Bogarted Gamboa last night. I think he's good and is interesting to watch, but to compare him to Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed, and Roy Jones among others is giving him way too much. Putting him over Cassamayor like they did was wrong. Funny they said Cassamayor was never that exciting, what about his fights with Diego Corrales, Acelino Frietas and most recently Michael Katsidis. Yeah I can see Gamboa maybe winning a world title, but to even put him in the same category as Linares like they did was wrong. He's got speed, decent power, but the question is what's going to happen to him when he's truly pressured. That's the test he needs to pass before giving him half of the credit he got last night.

The two highlights of the evening were Kirkland and when Michael Buffer had to say "For those in attendence..." because there wasn't even a thousand people.

the 3 hilights of the night for me were:

1. Kirkland brutalizing some scrub
2. Kirkland/Man Wolfe interview post-fight "eat"
3. The use as a fritos bean dip can as an end swell.
sweetchuck
Chuck Bodak, "Head for Hire" used those cans too. They actually work well, I've used them in my corner in the amateurs. Look at some of the old DLH fights and you'll see that cheese can again.
hardhead
I don't know I wasn't highly impressed with any of these guys. It was hard to tell a whole bunch on Kirkland in only a minute but he went and got the guy out of there like a prospect is supposed to do..

Agulo doesn't looks to be anything special really. He'll probably be a very good action type fighter made for TV but I can't really see him being a champion for long, if at all...

Gamboa has excellent hand speed, movement and athleticism and that alone will probably make him champ one day but he still seems way too raw and amateurish. He was getting tagged by some of those counter lefts just walking straight in and trading with his hands down and it's not like his defense is great, it's pretty good because he has great feet and is a natural athlete but he needs to work more on his head movement and not standing with his chin up and in front the guy so damn much. He's got a lot to work on though. I also take into account he was fighting another guy who is a well accomplished amateur fighter himself and it was only Gamboa's 9th fight but still he better keep his hands up a little more because some of these guys in and around this weight can bang it out and put your ass out..
Elijah
They mentioned a couple of the unorthodox training methods that Ann Wolfe uses at her gym in Texas. Does anyone remember what they are or does anyone know of a link that I can read about some of these methods?

I think one of them was that they put a heavy bag on the back of a truch and back it up towards you as you punch it?

sweetchuck
I think they said something about having four or five guys try to hold Kirkland down and him have to beat away. That sounds like something you might see in an mma gym.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Alfred Angulo, to me, seems like Antonio Margarito. He doesn't look too pretty in the ring, but he really gets the job done. I was at his fight in Hinckley in Feb. and he punches hard. Gutierrez is no pushover, and after a rough first round took over the fight. After getting stunned in the 5th, he came back and stopped him. If it weren't for round four in the Marquez-Vazquez fight that would be round of the year. I've been high on Angulo for the last year or so, and expect big things from him.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 20 2008, 04:36 PM) [snapback]390321[/snapback]
Alfred Angulo, to me, seems like Antonio Margarito. He doesn't look too pretty in the ring, but he really gets the job done. I was at his fight in Hinckley in Feb. and he punches hard. Gutierrez is no pushover, and after a rough first round took over the fight. After getting stunned in the 5th, he came back and stopped him. If it weren't for round four in the Marquez-Vazquez fight that would be round of the year. I've been high on Angulo for the last year or so, and expect big things from him.

Man! I just watched the replay of Angulo-Gutierrez on HBO On Demand, and consider the great war that this was, that was a BULLSHIT stoppage. Not totally outrageous. But considering that Gutierrez had Angulo hurt earlier in the round, and the great two-sided intensity of the fight, Tony Weeks should have let it go on.

Jack
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
The stoppage may have been a bit premature, but Gutierrez was hurt badly and getting hit. The difference with Angulo getting stunned is that he wasn't getting hit after he got hurt. He seemed alright after about 10 seconds. I thought Gutierrez was going to win this fight going into it, but Angulo made me a believer after that night. Seeing him live from ringside is something else too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.