Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glen Johnson vs. Shaun George
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
Okay...Geoge wants the fight...Johnson's up for the fight...so give me your thoughts on who would win. Was George's win simply due to the fact that Byrd had nothing to offer or does he have a legit chance against the like of Johnson?

SHAUN GEORGE: "I WOULD LIKE TO GET GLEN JOHNSON IN THERE!"

"My next date should be August or September. As far as names, I really don't want to call anybody out, but if I could pick anybody, they were talking about Chris Byrd fighting Glen Johnson because Johnson doesn't have anything lined up and everybody else in the division has something going on. I would like to get Glen Johnson in there if I had a choice, but I don't think I have that choice yet so we'll see," stated light heavyweight contender Shaun George as he talked about his future plans after his impressive victory over former heavyweight champion Chris Byrd. Check out what else he had to say about his performance and much more.

read more

GLEN JOHNSON: "ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS GET A NETWORK"

"I'm over Roy Jones and his talks. Roy Jones always talks about he wants to fight me, but if you notice, he always put 2 or 3 people ahead in front of me, so therefore, I'm constantly on the backburner so I'm not studying Roy Jones," stated former light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson as he talked about the unwillingness of other stars in the division to face him. Check out what he had to say about the bitterness he still feels over his controversial loss to Chad Dawson, his thoughts on Chris Byrd's recent loss, his willingness to fight Shaun George and much more.

read more
BigG
Glen by TKO late.

Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Byrd at this stage because Byrd is shot.

George is a very solid and good fighter..I just dont think he can beat the elite of the division.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ May 20 2008, 12:26 PM) [snapback]390299[/snapback]
Glen by TKO late.

Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Byrd at this stage because Byrd is shot.

George is a very solid and good fighter..I just dont think he can beat the elite of the division.

Agreed!!!

Glen Late stoppage
Blayde
George has some very nice talents, but he already had his problems when Richard Hall pressured him. So I believe Johnson is all wrong for George who can be trapped against the ropes and whose chin seems to be kind of vulnerable. It would still be a nice matchup though, two good fighters going at it.
thehype
I like the matchup. I think George has actually improved a lot from some of his earlier fights that I've seen him in. He definitely seems a lot more focused on his career. Don't get me wrong, it's a tough fight for him...especially if he thinks he can take off some rounds like he did against Byrd...but if he lets his hands go, I think his countering could frustrate Glen a bit. I definitely think they should give him a shot though since it sounds like both fighters are willing. Maybe another light heavyweight doubleheader...Tarver-Dawson and Johnson-George.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This is a fight I would like to see. Shaun George has come a long way since getting stopped in the first against Matt Godfrey. I always thought he would give Byrd a tough fight, and he did. Glen Johnson may be on a different level right now, but he too is getting older. It didn't look that way against Dawson, but give it another fight or two. George has excellent boxing skills, but at this point I dont think he'd have enough to keep Johnson off of him. Would be an intriguing fight though. Johnson by close decision
sweetchuck
If George stays as motivated and dedicated as he was for the Byrd fight, he can pull the upset by decision. I don't see him stopping Johnson basically because Johnson can take a punch. From what I've heard, the Byrd fight was the first time George had a real training camp and he showed what he can do. I can also see Johnson winning by a stoppage in 8. Either way, I think it will be a good fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
To beat Johnson you either have to outwork him or outbox him. The youngest fastest guy in the division couldn't do it, could George? I want to see more of him before I make a preditction but this would be an ideal match up seeing as both guys have no one to dance with.
Method
I think Johnson deserves the mandatory rematch with Dawson. Bad Chad is done, and Johnson would likely finish what he started in the first fight. You can only get your bell rung so many times before it starts to have permanent affects. I wouldn't be surprised, given how many times Chad has been dinged, whether he's not approaching that zone. I though Johnson beat him the first time around, and I am sick of having to see Glen always throw in with the latest/greatest as he's some sort of lithmus test.
sweetchuck
Glen wasn't thrown in with Chad Dawson to be an opponent for the "latest and greatest". Glenn begged Gary Shaw for the fight. He went into Dawson's hometown and lost a close decision that many say could have gone either way. Maybe it's just me and you would think that the Road Warrior would have learned by now that when you go into a fighter's hometown you can't make close. I'll admit that Johnson dominated the late rounds, and I actually thought he should get the decision. Part of what happened to Glen Johnson's career was his own fault always going into a fighter's hometown, taking fights on short notice. A Dawson rematch would be great for him, but so would a Roy Jones or Antonio Tarver rematch. At this point in his career those are the fights he should get. But they are talking Shaun George, who he can probably beat, make some money and increase his demand for a fight with Dawson, Tarver or Jones.
D-MARV
Personally I feel That Dawson would win a remacth in a more dominate fashion!
Method
"Thrown in" was the wrong term, but he IS viewed as nothing more than a proxy at this point, despite the fact that he can hold his own among the better guys in the division.
sweetchuck
I think Gary Shaw knew what he was getting into when he made the Dawson fight. That's why Johnson had to keep begging for the fight. That fight either helped make Dawson grow or it ruined hiim. We'll see.

I don't think anyone doesn't see Johnson as a threat. George and his people know that if they can beat Johnson they will bwe right in line for a title shot. Basically, Johnson is the second best fight for a light heavyweight to get that's not a title fight as far as money and where they will go with the win (Jones is first since he would bring in more money). Everyone is coming up with excuses for Byrd (too old, too much weight loss, taken too many beatings) so they know they have to have George fight one of the top guys to prove that beating Byrd was not a fluke. I don't think anyone is discounting Johnson or thinking of him as a proxy. George and their people know they are getting one of the elite light heavyweights in this fight.
Method
George and his people know that if they can beat Johnson they will be right in line for a title shot.

Agreed. Which is why I applied the term "proxy".
Spyder
Am I the only one not sold on George yet? He looked pretty limited in there with a shot fighter...the only thing he showed me is that he can pot shot a guy that's not throwing punches.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him...
sweetchuck
So the big question to be answered about George is if he is going to turn into a serious contender and then champion like Holmes beating Ali (although Holmes was already the champ) at the end of Ali's career or if he'll be a Kevin McBride or Carlos Bojorquez where they were in the right place in at the right time.
Blayde
QUOTE(Spyder @ May 21 2008, 08:53 PM) [snapback]390378[/snapback]
Am I the only one not sold on George yet? He looked pretty limited in there with a shot fighter...the only thing he showed me is that he can pot shot a guy that's not throwing punches.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him...

Well, he is fast and he throws some nice well timed shots. Before he got knocked out he was able to outbox Godfrey for a few seconds biggrin.gif

I think its pretty safe to say where George has his strengths and where he has his weaknesses. Hes a good fighter who might be able to cause an upset if his matched up with the right type of fighter, but who should not have enough to get to the top. Top 10 or top 20 IMO, that remains to be seen.
Spyder
I want to watch him again, but I think Glen would roll him up...

It'd be cool to have a new guy at 175 though...too many old timers. So in that regard, Chris Byrd did bring attention to the division.
Mean Mister Mustard
Put him in against Gonzalez or Woods see what he can do with them.
dj necrogenic
Damn going into that fight Shaun George wasnt even rated in the top 15 by ANY of the sanctioning bodies...if he takes Chris Byrds place in the rankings he should be rated #8 by the WBA right behind Antonio Tarver
rusty_trombone
Yeah. I think George might be the classic Brooklyn head case. Guy with all the talent in the world, but not focused or disciplined enough to be on top. Byrd was horribly shot, and it took him 9 to dispose of him.
Douchebag
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ May 21 2008, 10:09 PM) [snapback]390394[/snapback]
Yeah. I think George might be the classic Brooklyn head case. Guy with all the talent in the world, but not focused or disciplined enough to be on top. Byrd was horribly shot, and it took him 9 to dispose of him.

Truth be told he should have gotten him out of there less than 4 rounds.

Oh! Can you PLEASE spell my name right on your sig. LMAO @ The Concscience.
Chillmatic
QUOTE(thehype @ May 20 2008, 02:26 PM) [snapback]390315[/snapback]
I like the matchup. I think George has actually improved a lot from some of his earlier fights that I've seen him in. He definitely seems a lot more focused on his career. Don't get me wrong, it's a tough fight for him...especially if he thinks he can take off some rounds like he did against Byrd...but if he lets his hands go, I think his countering could frustrate Glen a bit. I definitely think they should give him a shot though since it sounds like both fighters are willing. Maybe another light heavyweight doubleheader...Tarver-Dawson and Johnson-George.

George has recovered from the shoulder injuries he had early in his career. Few people realize this but George had two shoulder surgeries, a second one was necessary after the doctor operated on the wrong part of his shoulder. It's taken him a long time to get confidence back in his punching ability.

A confident fighter is a capable fighter. If this fight gets made, it's because Shaun George wanted it, not because of Glen Johnson. It's a situation very similar to Paul Williams', who was the only fighter I can recall calling out Margarito specifically. When a guy has a reputation as an avoided fighter, they don't like being called out. Glen Johnson doesn't like being called out.

The natural selection process of boxing dictates that young fighters become old and young fighters eat the old ones and continue the cycle.
Chillmatic
QUOTE(Blayde @ May 20 2008, 01:20 PM) [snapback]390306[/snapback]
George has some very nice talents, but he already had his problems when Richard Hall pressured him. So I believe Johnson is all wrong for George who can be trapped against the ropes and whose chin seems to be kind of vulnerable. It would still be a nice matchup though, two good fighters going at it.

George's only knockdowns happened at cruiserweight, where George was weighing 185 against 200 pound guys.

The Richard Hall fight was made much more difficult because George hadn't made the 175 pound limit since the amateurs. The previous fight he was a cruiserweight weighing a bloated 195 or so. His stamina was not all that good for that fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.