Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you were a pro, who's style would you parallel?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Based on your body type and such, if you went pro who do you think you'd be similar to?

I'm pretty tall and lanky for my body weight, so I think I'd be like a cross between a Corrales and Pavlik. I think I'd be pretty quick to abandon the jab and give away my reach to fight on the inside. I'd be the type of guy that would have a short career (or prime anyway) because I think I'd be willing to take 2 to give 1. Unless I had exceptional punching power P4P like Corrales or Pavlik I'd certainly fail. LOL. Anyone else?

Douchebag
Good Thread! I'm short and stalky I have good power but I'm only basing that on the sound the punching bag makes when I hit it, LOL. I would say that I would try to be cross between James Toney and Miguel Cotto. I have pretty good right so I alway try to work the Toney shoulder roll counter whenever I get chance to spar. I like the body attack also which is where I would get my Cotto on but I appreciate the suttle defense that James Toney has.
The CEO
Larry Holmes.

Everything would start with the jab, and I'd make 'em pay with the big right hand....
D-MARV
Im a former college defensive end So I'm long but i also have broad shoulders... I would probably be a george foreman. Im not fast but Im strong and I do have 1 punch KO power. Nothing makes me feel better than to end my workouts with 20 minutes of hammering the heavy bag!
EAlbian
Mayweather's style is perfect. He has the best defense without relying on sheer athletic talent ie. RJJ or Sweet Pea. His offense is awsome, i've never seen anyone land with the accuracy and speed at which he lands and if he fought at his fighting weight 135 or 140 he would stop pretty much everyone. But if i could fight like anyone it would be Hearns because no one put people to sleep like him.
Method
Hopkins - fundamentally and technically the best in the biz...and in his younger days, an absolute animal.
Boxingjunkie
Thats an easy one. The Greatest "Sugar Ray Robinson".
KingEugene
I would have to say good ol RJJ but after I wont the heavy weight title I would retire just like Jordan should have after his last ring. I'm quick, I like to pop shot and I'm a natural counter puncher. Dont normally set up with the jab...I have a habit of leading with the right. I think I just studied him too much when I was coming up. So now I damn near fight like him...so I've been told.
JD
Oscar Dela Hoya...the promoter.
Fitz
I'm about 5"11 and currently I would be a cruiser weight (pretty close to heavy) though light heavy would probably be about as low as I could go. My height seems to be about average and seem to have normal arms, nothing too big.
But when I spar in the gym I use different styles. When I am with guys bigger and stronger than me, I tend to just use my jab and constantly on the back foot trying to keep my distance.
When I feel I am stronger or at least pretty even I usually have a style similar to Toney/Mayweather, as I work off the shoulder rolls and basically just counter. I like to sit on the ropes at times and not being smaller, it doesn't worry me that much so basically I just like to pluck off on them and I am actually not that bad at it. I also tend to go to the body quite often and punch quite short, as I fight in the inside quite a bit, though I don't like to eat 2 shots to land my 1. Defense is something I work on quite a bit, so I try not to let anyone hit me (I don't resort to running, though I did this one time when I was hurt against the bigger guy) to land one of mine.
Generally, I have pretty poor stamina so I am generally a counter punch regardless of who it is I am fighting. What changes is if I keep distance or fight on the inside (depending if I am bigger or smaller). I'm also big on using my jab, as if I want to get on the inside, it's what I use to try and get in there. Use it as a measuring stick for the right and sets up all of your other punchers. Easily the best and most important punch in boxing, it annoys me when people disregard it all together.
Fitz
Also that's me. If you were to train somebody or somebody wanted a good starting block, like Method said you wouldn't look too much further than Hopkins. He does things technically correct and is one of the best fighters in the business.
BigG
I'm about 5'8 1/2 or 5'9 right now and I usually weigh 140/147 (fight at 140) I got to say I fight almost exactly like Andre Ward. I like to control things with the jab and quickness and I don't fight on the inside unless I have to (caught on the ropes). Yeah I got to say I'm influenced by RJJ/Floyd/Hopkins/Toney/Judah...that type of style. I would like to stalk someone and punish them ala Cotto but I think my tools are strictly for outside boxing..lol
buford54
If my sparring sessions were any indicator, I'd have to go w/ Kelly Pavlik as my actual style. When working the bag and in my mind, I wanted to fight like a young Toney or Hopkins...but I always tended to stand up straight and try to land the big right.
I could definitely crack, but the power didn't travel too well. I'm between 6'0" and 6'1", and currently I weigh 210. When I was in the boxing gym, my best weight/power seemed to be right around 190, but whenever I went below that to try to get down to LH, I started to burn muscle and lost a lot of my pop.
Ultimately, I've got that awkward size where I would be too small for HW, but am too thick (bone structure) to make LH...so I'd be stuck in Cruiser.

BigJuicyHog
David Tua. Short stocky stalker type fighter looking to end it at all time....although I do like going to the body.
Spyder
My style is definitely a work in progress...lol

I have quick feet, so I try to emulate Shane Mosley's feet. I have an abundance of power, so I LOVE to counter off the ropes with uppercuts, and am always looking to land that BIG shot like David Tua...I like to use the shoulder roll as well, although since my stamina usually SUCKS, it tends to be more of a James Toney shoulder roll, than Mayweather. My hands aren't slow, but they're not fast enough to outgun the speedsters, so most of the time I have to walk them down like Miguel Cotto. I'm average height, and when I fight someone with a longer reach...who normally try to Lennox Lewis me...I'll drop my left hand and bait them with some of Roy's postures. But besides my power, my best attribute is my boxing brain. I can see what the other guy is doing, and neutralize it like Hopkins used to...that is when I have the energy. The new style that I'm thinking about trying, especially when I'm extremely outmatched is Ricky Hatton's mauling. haha

If only I would've started when I was younger... laugh.gif
WolfishPromistah
Glass Joe from PUNCH OUT fame, here (wink).
Big Slim Sweet
I'd have to say my style would be closest to George Foreman. I'm a big dude - 6'2", 240. I'm pretty slow and plodding on my feet (the result of being a size 15) but I have quick hands and actually kinda freakishly long arms. I know I've got pretty good power (not Foreman-esque though) and I know I can take a shot on the chin (though I have no idea whether I can take it to the body, LOL). So my style would be to circle the ring keeping my opponent at bay with the long, stiff jab, and coming over top with the big overhand right when it presented itself. Not too fan friendly I'd have to say, but it'd be pretty effective.

On the flip side my friends and I have often joked about boxing styles being a reflection of our drinking/partying styles. If that's the case I'm Charles Brewer - walk in pounding my chest and sticking out my chin screaming let's throw till someone drops!

Excellent topic by the way.
Vodoo
If I did box I think I would try to emulate a prime Ike Quartey's arm defense and jab. He mainly used the jab as more of a punch to hurt you as well as a range finder and setup. That jab and arm defense is as far as I'd take it with Ike because I never thought he punched with great technique or form so that is something I would correct. I would also want Mosley's foot speed, and body punching from his LW days. The foot speed though might not be possible to emulate as effectively as he did, but to be honest it's one of his most underrated talents.
AussieLad
Zab Judah... my chicken dance is some funky shit
Chillmatic
I'd have the speed of Jones, the defense of Mayweather, the power of Tyson and the jab of Larry Holmes. But I'm not a pro so whats the harm in wishing lol

In sparring I try to catch straight punches with my gloves while closing the distance. I'm short so I need to use timing and head movement to get in and the get over to the sides. I try to throw Mike Tyson combinations like head and body combos with the same hand. I don't know whose style it would mirror but it keeps me alive.
AKay
I dont know whose style mine would parallel, but my style works off the jab. I like to combo off the jab even with the same hand, I like to combo upstairs downstairs, work the body and have a tremendous uppercut.
Chillmatic
QUOTE(AKay @ Jun 5 2008, 01:45 PM) [snapback]391460[/snapback]
I dont know whose style mine would parallel, but my style works off the jab. I like to combo off the jab even with the same hand, I like to combo upstairs downstairs, work the body and have a tremendous uppercut.

Hey Will, do you box at Joe Grier's?
AKay
nah i used to go to the PBA in teaneck and hit the bags. When i was younger I wore glasses so never got into sparring when i would go with my best friend, saw so many issues with guys with contacts never bothered.
2 years ago I got Lasik but I aint boxing no time soon lol.
Although my friend at 35 got back into fighting shape and boxed in the gloves.
Chillmatic
QUOTE(AKay @ Jun 5 2008, 01:52 PM) [snapback]391463[/snapback]
nah i used to go to the PBA in teaneck and hit the bags. When i was younger I wore glasses so never got into sparring when i would go with my best friend, saw so many issues with guys with contacts never bothered.
2 years ago I got Lasik but I aint boxing no time soon lol.
Although my friend at 35 got back into fighting shape and boxed in the gloves.

That's cool, a lot of good pros go through there.
sweetchuck
I actually am a pro, not a great record (0-1) but over the years in the gym and in my amateur fights I have learned to fight according to who I'm in with. I like to fight a young Bhops or James Toney type. But I find myself like Arturo Gatti at times where I'll drop what I know would work and just start trading.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.