Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CBS' EliteXC show tonight
FightHype Community > MMA HYPE > MMA Leagues
The CEO

nahhh....it wasn't THAT bad....but horrible crowd...horrible announcing team....some bums and a couple of bad stoppages....

I won't spoil it yet....anyone else watch it?
The CEO
Fuck....wrong section....needs to be moved....

I guess that shows how much I'm NOT paying attention to MMA lately....lol

Gina Carano and Scott Smith showed some heart tonight...as well as Kimbo....
KookedKrack
im not that big on mma but i watched it, i don't see the big deal with kimbo maybe its just me but he didnt look good at all.......those females got it poppin more than the males as well
gods son
this was bullshyt referring or no holds barred!!! Kimbo took how many blows with minus response????
But he came back with a tko...

this is raw ufc !!!
Kimbo in the UFC is a no no!!!
JD
Kimbo is such overblown hype, it is ridiculous.

The dude would be destroyed by any legit MMA fighter. The guy he just went life and death with was a chinless scab who got knocked out by Butterbean in less than a minute.
The CEO
I could EASILY pick Slice apart as far as his MMA skills go.....and anyone who knows anything knows he could get slaughtered by anyone Thompson's level or higher....but I do have to say he DID show noticeable improvement last night....Thompson is farrr from great....but he was game and put Kimbo to the test...like when Kimbo was in a pretty tight guillotine choke early in the fight for like a minute or so, and he didn't tap...he also pulled off a raw strength reversal or two from under the mount of a larger and very strong man....

and although Slice was totally blown up by the time the fight was stopped...it's safe to say he HAS gained endurance and some ground skills...

I don't know....I guess I'm just trying to look for the good in the situation....lol
AKay
They basically carried him out of the ring back to the dressing room. He was EXHAUSTEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
JD
Kimbo is tough, very strong, and will not tap. I agree with all that.

But he really is a fraud as far as MMA goes, I would pick that guy the dude that used to work for the tire place over him.
Douchebag
The fight was fixed.
AKay
QUOTE(JD @ Jun 1 2008, 10:33 AM) [snapback]391015[/snapback]
Kimbo is tough, very strong, and will not tap. I agree with all that.

But he really is a fraud as far as MMA goes, I would pick that guy the dude that used to work for the tire place over him.

Brett Rogers.

Wooooooo
we got some footage going up real soon wooooooooooooo!
Wil
JD
I would not argue that.

Plan A: Bank on Kimbo landing and taking out Thompson and his glass chin.
Plan B: The ref will be a little lenient if Kimbo is on the ground and getting hit repeatedly, OR give a quick hook if Thompson is buzzed and the fight goes long.
stateofthegame
The first fight, the guy just got caught, but I think when Elite decided to put that fight on the card they really thought it would go longer and be a good solid opener.

Smokin Joe just ran through Baroni. This was the worse match-up on the card IMO because Baroni has never won a fight with skilled opposition and Smokin Joe was just too much for that guy.

I agree that Carano's fight was stopped just because it was two women and was was getting mangled. Young even said she was ok, but the knockout was coming early in the next round so I feel they made the decision to pull the plug due to a mangled Young.

Lawler vs Smith was becoming the best fight of the night, however I lay the blame on the stoppage to Smith because the NJ Commissioner said that when the doctor was looking over Smith he told her twice that he could not see out of his eye. When you tell the doctor that (Boxing or MMA) the fight gets stopped.

Kimbo is just a hype job and it was confirmed tonight. A big strong heavyweight with a good ground game is going to kill this guy. Gary Goodridge offered to fight him for free, and Gary Shaw wanted none of it. Now we know why. Gary would have killed him.
The CEO
The attention and push Slice is getting makes him even MORE of a fraud too....

btw....I thought Rogers (the tire dude) received an early/bullshit stoppage...yeah...he caught that Murphy guy with a few good shots and put him down on his hands and knees.......but the ref jumped in so quick it seemed predetermined to set up for a match with Kimbo....

and yep...I see him and Kimbo had an altercation at the post presser.....they'll call War Of The Hoods or some bullshit like that....Rogers comes out with Busta Rhymes and Slice comes out with Lil' Wayne....I think it would be a pick 'em....since Rogers is a freestyler and a fraud as well...
JD
It's all about the tire dude.
The CEO
I was impressed with Smith's heart....Lawler PUNISHED him that 1st round....breaking Smith's right side with brutal shin kicks....he hurt him bad...put the fucking Fear of God in him....go back and watch the 1st minute of round 2...Smith's face was white as a sheet!...dude was feeling DOOMED...lol

Next thing you know....Smith digs deep, bites down, the color comes back to his face....and he starts puttin' it back on Lawler....it was amazing display of courage....
The CEO
QUOTE(JD @ Jun 1 2008, 10:59 AM) [snapback]391027[/snapback]
It's all about the tire dude.

laugh.gif

Yep....The Tire Dude will be the next big thing if he Ks Kimbo TFO....
JD
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jun 1 2008, 11:01 AM) [snapback]391029[/snapback]
laugh.gif

Yep....The Tire Dude will be the next big thing if he Ks Kimbo TFO....

Nice!

My man will handle Kimbo.
stateofthegame
even though the ref jumped in, I felt that Murphy was done. Usually when they go down like that they will at least try to grab an ankle or something, he just sat there on all fours. Of course it may have been a deal where he was told to go out there and try to win, but if you get caught just stay down.
stateofthegame
And Smith did show heart, but you cannot tell the ringside doctor you cannot see because they are going to stop the fight, but now he gets two paydays out of the deal, so it all worked out for him.
The CEO
I agree...he spoke before he thought....you can't say that to the doctor....
stateofthegame
One more thing, I think that Cung Le and Ken Shamrock ruined the CBS telecast. I really believe that if Frank would have beat Le and Ken would have won than the Main Event would have been Shamrock vs Shamrock as both had already agreed to the fight before their last fights. It was being planned for this time frame anyway and I think that if that would have went through the ratings for this show would have been out the roof.
Spyder
You only say that if you want the fight stopped. Remember Camacho Jr?
sweetchuck
Kimbo Slice is what he is. At least Gary Shaw is smart enough to match him against beatable competition. But that's the job of the promoter and trainer. You have got to remember this was only his third official MMA fight. He looked like it too. To be fair he shouldn't be compared to some of the top MMA fighters due to his inexperience. And do we have to watch him fight these lower level types to see if he could develop into a good fighter? Brock Lesnar at least took on a major challenge in Frank Mir in his UFC debut. Will Kimbo do something like that? No! In reality, if it wasn't for Youtube he would be making $800 plus a $200 win bonus for fights rather than six figures. That's all he's really worth without the hype. That's why there are a lot of top MMA fighters that don't like him because they have busted their ass for several years to make half of what Kimbo's getting paid. He's the Butterbean of MMA or a professional wrestler they decided to give a push to. I thought that referee was a disgrace in that fight, any other fighter caught in that cage taking unanswered punches and elbows that long would have been stopped and a very premature stoppage (when the fight was stopped).

I could always care less for the EliteXC announce team that reminds me of an 80's wrestling program. I found it funny that the announce team kept taking shots at boxing. If they are looking to flip fans from one sport you don't do it by dissing the other sport. It just seems to me that a lot of what EliteXC is doing is making MMA look bad and knocking it back to were it was 8 years ago. Honestly, if it wasn't for Gina Carano (I actually know her family) I wouldn't watch Elite XC. They seem like a really shady promotion as many non UFC promotions are.
hardhead
QUOTE(sweetchuck @ Jun 1 2008, 06:39 PM) [snapback]391069[/snapback]
Kimbo Slice is what he is. At least Gary Shaw is smart enough to match him against beatable competition. But that's the job of the promoter and trainer. You have got to remember this was only his third official MMA fight. He looked like it too. To be fair he shouldn't be compared to some of the top MMA fighters due to his inexperience. And do we have to watch him fight these lower level types to see if he could develop into a good fighter? Brock Lesnar at least took on a major challenge in Frank Mir in his UFC debut. Will Kimbo do something like that? No! In reality, if it wasn't for Youtube he would be making $800 plus a $200 win bonus for fights rather than six figures. That's all he's really worth without the hype. That's why there are a lot of top MMA fighters that don't like him because they have busted their ass for several years to make half of what Kimbo's getting paid. He's the Butterbean of MMA or a professional wrestler they decided to give a push to. I thought that referee was a disgrace in that fight, any other fighter caught in that cage taking unanswered punches and elbows that long would have been stopped and a very premature stoppage (when the fight was stopped).

I could always care less for the EliteXC announce team that reminds me of an 80's wrestling program. I found it funny that the announce team kept taking shots at boxing. If they are looking to flip fans from one sport you don't do it by dissing the other sport. It just seems to me that a lot of what EliteXC is doing is making MMA look bad and knocking it back to were it was 8 years ago. Honestly, if it wasn't for Gina Carano (I actually know her family) I wouldn't watch Elite XC. They seem like a really shady promotion as many non UFC promotions are.

I agree, the taking shots at our sport is what burns me up and makes me not want to watch this crap, honestly it used to happen at least once or twice a telecast in UFC especially. Whatever happened to professionalism. I've never heard Lampley, Merchant(I think one time during the Mayweather/DLH) or Kellerman(who I've actually heard mention MMA a few times and was complimentary) diss MMA on the air like some of these MMA announcers do.

I thought Frank Shamrock did an excellent job with the commentary but the other two guys you could drop them in a fucking river they sucked so bad. I also don't care for all the theatrics but I guess people like all that shit...

I think the most of the fights were pretty good action wise, some of the stoppage were a tad early(except for the Lawler fight which was a plain bad one) but I think if anything had to do with that it was the CBS bigwigs who didn't want MMA to come across too raw or bloody etc..
Douchebag
I don't expect anybody to agree with me in my opinion that the fight was fixed because it is a pretty far fetched claim and there will never be a way to prove it, but I do want to clarify my reasons why I think there was fix last night.

1. The first thing that caught my eye was the fact that James Thompson left ear looked like a horses testicle before the fight started and no one the anounce team mentions it until right before Kimbo targets it to get his win.

2. The ref was making some really questionable calls during the fight. I mean letting Kimbo just on the bottom of the GNP and not stopping the fight for that long was just blatant favoratism for a fighter IMO.

3. That thumbs up bullshit that Kimbo did when he was in trouble (from the guillotine and from the GNP) looked like it was his way of trying to get the Ref to come in save him from the situations. And oddly enough it was the ref that got him out of the choke and the only reason the ref didn't ball him out from the GNP is because it would have been to obvious.

OK I'm not going to argue but I strongly feel like Elite XC had a lot of safety nets in place to make sure that Kimbo got the W.
thehype
QUOTE(sweetchuck @ Jun 1 2008, 02:39 PM) [snapback]391069[/snapback]
They seem like a really shady promotion as many non UFC promotions are.

You make it sound like the UFC isn't shady.

laugh.gif

My thoughts...

Rogers vs. Murphy... went pretty much as I expected. Expect Murphy to be Kimbo's next opponent.

Villesanor vs. Baroni... again, as I expected. Baroni looked horrible in his loss to Kala Hose prior to this fight and even worse against Shamrock prior to that...three losses in a row...time to call it a career. Better to go out against a good fighter like Villesanor than to start getting whooped up by lesser fighters (a fate similar to Fernando Vargas, who looked horrendous against Ricardo Mayorga)

Carano vs. Young... the size disadvantage was obvious from the beginning when they showed the overhead shot of both fighters. It's hard for me to give Gina credit when she came in way overweight...kind of like it's difficut for me to give Castillo credit for his win over Chico...although they did give her a step up in competition, the victory is tainted with the fact that she didn't make weight. She did what she had to do though I guess. She did show a little improvement, but she also showed some flaws still...a much more technical fighter like Shayna Baszler would probably molly whop her ass if she were actually forced to make weight. I thought the stoppage was a tad bit premature, but I won't argue about it since it looked like the end was near for Young. Then again, this is MMA and you never know when someone is going to shock the world and pull off the sudden submission...Anderson Silva vs. Ryo Chonan comes to mind (for you newbies to the sport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6D-_jAIvqs...eature=related)

Lawler vs. Smith... this fight was definitely stopped for no reason whatsoever. I feel like everyone tends to panic whenever there's a break in the action. Why couldn't they have given him a few minutes to see if the eye was okay? Seems odd to rush to such a quick decision during something as important as a title fight. Damn shame too because that was a pretty good stand-up fight. Ultimately, I thought Lawler was on his way to a victory. If he would have kept throwing those leg kicks to the body, he probably would have stopped Smith. Props to Smith though, who hung in there and battled back. Lawler looked comfortable in there though...I'm impressed with how he looks now compared to his final UFC days. Definitely needs to be a rematch, but I think Lawler will just finish what he started and ultimately stop Smith.

Slice vs. Thompson... GARBAGE! Kimbo has been exposed in my opinion. Thompson had soooooo many opportunities to get the full mount and just beat the crap out of Slice. At times, I thought Thompson was actually going out of his way NOT to win the fight. For a guy with such "devastating" knockout power, Kimbo sure didn't do much damage to a guy who's known for his suspect chin. He landed several flush shots and yet Thompson was still standing...PATHETIC. Even Butterbean iced Thompson in the first round. I really wish Bas Rutten would just distance himself from this cat. I was so impressed with Slice that I'd actually favor today's horribly obese Mike Tyson to knock him out.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jun 1 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]391078[/snapback]
3. That thumbs up bullshit that Kimbo did when he was in trouble (from the guillotine and from the GNP) looked like it was his way of trying to get the Ref to come in save him from the situations. And oddly enough it was the ref that got him out of the choke and the only reason the ref didn't ball him out from the GNP is because it would have been to obvious.
OK I'm not going to argue but I strongly feel like Elite XC had a lot of safety nets in place to make sure that Kimbo got the W.

That thumbs up shit looked EXTREMELY fishy.
Spyder
To be fair, the Butterbean stoppage was BS also...I feel kinda bad for Thompson. He seems to get a raw deal often. I think it has something to do with his goofiness though. He hasn't mastered the technique of hiding the fact that he's hurt.

I'm kinda interested in Butterbean-Kimbo...

laugh.gif
kidbazooka1
Robbie Lawler and Scott smith was the fight of the night can't waite to see a rematch.
thehype
True...true...I'm being a little harsh comparing that performance to Butterbean. To be fair, that was a BS stoppage too.

laugh.gif

But STILL...they had this cat all over the place...at the freakin' Country Music Awards for crying out loud...billing him as some sort of wrecking machine when that's FAR from reality. If there was ever a better step up in competition for Slice, James Thompson was it and he should have been able to either A) knock him out cold or cool.gif at least be able to handle himself on the ground without any problems. On the contrary, he got dominated on the ground (damn near could have been stopped, and probably would have been stopped had the tables been reversed and it was Slice on top dropping elbows on Thompson's head for over a minute). Now they're going to have an extremely difficult time finding a decent opponent for Slice's next fight.
Spyder
Hey, that's Shaw and his matchmaker's cross to bare...I mean they've made enough money off of him to have to work a little bit, right?

We all know where Kimbo is as a fighter. It's not where EliteXC wants us to think, but we still know the truth. I honestly want to see Butterbean get a shot against the guy, make some cash, and retire either as Kimbo fodder...or get the rematch(and money) as Kimbo's first conqueror(officially).

I think that Brett Rogers would win that fight too...btw, and I don't think much of him either.

I'm trying not to hate, but that shit is just too easy!

laugh.gif
sweetchuck
True, UFC has had shady moments at times. I doubt the fight with Kimbo was fixed as much as he got very favorable treatment. Tyson would kill Kimbo if he were in shape. Kimbo has about as good of a ground game as Mike Tyson would, but Tyson would still counterpunch Kimbo's charge and knock him out. Just like Peter McNeely.

I don't know if they made a hell of a lot of money on Kimbo yet. Kimbo would have made them bank if he fought on PPV and he really is the only one with the hype in EliteXC to be a PPV headliner. At least before last night. Kimbo needs to fight a small fighter in his next fight with limited skills or that is washed up to regain some of the hype he had before.
ElectricTwinkie
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jun 1 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]391078[/snapback]
I don't expect anybody to agree with me in my opinion that the fight was fixed because it is a pretty far fetched claim and there will never be a way to prove it, but I do want to clarify my reasons why I think there was fix last night.

1. The first thing that caught my eye was the fact that James Thompson left ear looked like a horses testicle before the fight started and no one the anounce team mentions it until right before Kimbo targets it to get his win.

2. The ref was making some really questionable calls during the fight. I mean letting Kimbo just on the bottom of the GNP and not stopping the fight for that long was just blatant favoratism for a fighter IMO.

I agree completely. Did you see the exchange between Bas Rutten and Kimbo once the fight finished? Bas did not look happy shaping his finger as if to say "see you bigg dummy, I told you not to get on the ground."

IMO, Kimbo's stock has dropped. He's this generation's Tank Abbott: come out swinging like a madman for 30 seconds and pray you hit something.
jlupi
kimbo should be in boxing. He has some skill He could be thrown in w no hopers for big money with little scrutiny to see how he develops, If he doesnt he could go butterbeans route.

Hes being used by shaw to build elite xc - hope hes getting paid for such because he really has very little mma skills.
Warlord
What I find shocking is the rather (semi) intelligent nature in which The Conscience has conducted himself in this thread, especially in light of his pro-Kimbo stance in the past. Keep this up, kid, and you might actually gain some respect around here.

Of course I now fully expect him to roll through here with an ignorant ass statement to ruin the feeling my back-handed compliment has created.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 3 2008, 07:25 AM) [snapback]391278[/snapback]
What I find shocking is the rather (semi) intelligent nature in which The Conscience has conducted himself in this thread, especially in light of his pro-Kimbo stance in the past. Keep this up, kid, and you might actually gain some respect around here.

Of course I now fully expect him to roll through here with an ignorant ass statement to ruin the feeling my back-handed compliment has created.

This post made me chuckle. I'm glad the anti-depresants are working for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.