Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro 2008
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
rusty_trombone
God damn it, Cannavaro is out for the duration. he ruptured ligaments in his fucking ankle in practice. What the fuck?
PR316
Italy do have some other defenders, though it is a blow to have your captain injured that way. Cannavaro is up there in age now though and he wasn't exactly a ROCK this season in La Liga, getting torched by the top strikers in the league.

That said, Germany are the favorites. Everyone is expecting them to bag this trophy.

I'm backing Spain. Hoping they get to at least the semis though a final is what they should really be aiming for. No excuse for such a talented squad to fail everytime. UNACCETABLE..

France are also strong. They're older now, but have added some young new talent.

It will be fun.
rusty_trombone
yeah, Germany are the favorites, but Ballack had a long year with Chelsea after a deep run into Champions League.

You're right though, Cannavaro was getting schooled all year in Seria A, but I think he means alot more to the team than just his playing ability. Buffon is still a rock in there though. We'll see, I don't know how Italy gets stuck in the toughest group again. Damn it.
Fitz
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 3 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]391213[/snapback]
though it is a blow to have your captain injured that way.

No it isn't. Going for anyone playing against Italy laugh.gif
PR316
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jun 3 2008, 12:42 AM) [snapback]391218[/snapback]
yeah, Germany are the favorites, but Ballack had a long year with Chelsea after a deep run into Champions League.

You're right though, Cannavaro was getting schooled all year in Seria A, but I think he means alot more to the team than just his playing ability. Buffon is still a rock in there though. We'll see, I don't know how Italy gets stuck in the toughest group again. Damn it.

You mean La Liga.. He plays for Real Madrid.

But yeah he was getting it handed to him against every quick and skilfull striker he faced.

Buffon is still the best keeper in the world. Even though Italy is stuck in a tough group with France and Holland, you guys probably should make it out of there. Holland are an attacking, young, exciting team whom lots of people will be pulling for but they dont' put it together the way they should and they're very vulnerable at the back.

That said, Im going for Spain. Here's to them finally getting to the final. Not even asking for them to WIN... Just get there.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 2 2008, 09:34 PM) [snapback]391233[/snapback]
You mean La Liga.. He plays for Real Madrid.

My bad, that's what I meant
Maxy
England had a fuckin' muppet in charge for the qualifiers so we didn't make it to the tournament proper.

For that reason, I've got no interest in Euro 2008 at the moment, but I'm bound to watch it when it kicks off.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 2 2008, 08:07 PM) [snapback]391232[/snapback]
No it isn't. Going for anyone playing against Italy laugh.gif

Co-Sign. Cheaters, crybabies and all around assholes are a no-no for me. It will be a difficult task to keep up with how many dives the Italian team makes during the tournament but well worth it for the archives.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 3 2008, 03:03 PM) [snapback]391309[/snapback]
Co-Sign. Cheaters, crybabies and all around assholes are a no-no for me. It will be a difficult task to keep up with how many dives the Italian team makes during the tournament but well worth it for the archives.

you should probably add world champions to the crybaby list.
Mean Mister Mustard
The best way to win a championship is by cheating so yea you are right I should add that.

Prepare to go down. HUH!!!
PR316
I hate diving as much as everybody but its up to refs to single that out.

Italy are strong bastards so no matter what, whom ever it is that beats them(If they get beat) will have to earn it.

BTW, watched France's friendly match against Colombia and though their attack is dangerous, they're looking quite vulnerable in defence. Colombia just lacked finishing but they deserved at least a draw if not a win.

On another note, I do not want to hear anymore of Benzema being WORLD CLASS... Poor touch, lack of finishing in front of goal(Despite being WIDE OPEN), and no sense of understanding with his teammates. He's got alot to work on before being considered top class.
Mean Mister Mustard
Benzema. Is he the one they are callning the next Zidane?
Maxy
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 3 2008, 05:57 PM) [snapback]391337[/snapback]
Benzema. Is he the one they are callning the next Zidane?

No I think thats Samir Nasri.
Mean Mister Mustard
It starts today!

I'm rooting for the Czechs but I bet the Swiss surprise us all and either win it or tie.

Portugal beats Turkey in a close 1-0 win.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 7 2008, 10:14 AM) [snapback]391666[/snapback]
It starts today!

I'm rooting for the Czechs but I bet the Swiss surprise us all and either win it or tie.

Portugal beats Turkey in a close 1-0 win.

the swiss had a ton of chances, too bad they suck balls at finishing. maybe they should try and make roger federer a soccer player
Mean Mister Mustard
And how about the Turks? They had the right idea but their execution was awful. Portugal is going to win the group, easy. I don't like that.
PR316
Italy look flat. Holland thus far are playing them completely off the pitch. The first goal was offside in all fairness, but poetic justice was served when RVN uncharacteriscally blew an easy one on one after a beautiful through ball from Van der Vaart. It could easily have been 3-0.

What a horrible match between France and Romania though. France looked rather lost in attack without Henry. Benzema clearly cannot be relied on at this level. Its too much for him.
Mean Mister Mustard
Netherlands 3 Italy 0. Wow, off night for the Italians? I think they will come back against Romania and maybe draw against France but they really need to go all out against Romania and score as many goals as they can.
PR316
3 goals.....That goal differential is going to be hard to overcome and its just not Italy to come out and attack like that. They don't have the kind of players that can do that. Italy have really dug themselves a hole but are fortunate that neither France nor Romania really made any type of statement.

Italy's players are technical and methodical. They use their strength to wear down the faster more skilled teams but today it did not work. I think Italy's age played a part too. Holland ran them all over the pitch and were simply too quick for them. Just totally outplayed them.

But again, I'm not yet fully ready to count Italy out, but I must repeat that during the qualifiers and friendlies leading up to this tournament that they did NOT look good. They're just not flowing at the moment and not having Totti is just too big a blow.
rusty_trombone
god damn dutch
Mean Mister Mustard
The Greeks played their usual defensive style and got bombed.

Portugal takes on the Czech Rep today. Expect The Portugese to win this comfortably.
rusty_trombone
Portugal's attack looked excellent again today, but their back line is still shaky. Just too much firepower for the Czech Republic.
Mean Mister Mustard
The portugese do have better cannons but what will happen when they face a defensive side that can strike?
PR316
So far the tournamennt has been pure quality.

However, Germany don't look as strong as they did in the World Cup. I noticed this even in their 2-0 win over Poland, they didn't have the spark that they had not just at the World Cup, but in the beginning of the Euro qualifiers. They struggled to create goal scoring chances today and their defense was terrible. It could have easily been 3-1.

I know its still early, and there is no team that looks INVINCIBLE... In fact, the 3 teams that have impressed the most(Holland, Portugal, and Spain) are all a bit shaky in defence. But I'm really looking forward to seeing them all in the knockout round.

France and Italy are in danger of not making it. I know that 1 loss doesn't spell doom, but the goal differential is probably gonna come back to haunt Italy. Especially if they don't score at least 2 goals tomorrow against Romania. France definitely need a win. This group is VERY TIGHT... A draw with Holland will still keep France in it, depending on Italy's result against Romania. But its looking more and more like France will have to beat Italy if they want to go on.

Tomorrow is gonna be a great day. Unfortunately I'll be at work so I won't see it live(Unless I can negotiate an early exit from work tomorrow smile_anim.gif )

But if not I'll hopefully be able to catch the replay.

BTW... WAR SPAIN!!!... aggressive.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree, "ze Germans" have not looked as good as they did in WC 06. In that tournament they were constantly bombarding their opposition from the outside, here they are trying too much to get inside the box and score from there.

rusty_trombone
Fuck france, italy is through!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
So far so good, Croatia-Turkey, Portugal-Germany. Quality games right there.

Shame about France though, would not surprise me to see them go back to their pre 98 level.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 17 2008, 08:50 PM) [snapback]392872[/snapback]
So far so good, Croatia-Turkey, Portugal-Germany. Quality games right there.

Shame about France though, would not surprise me to see them go back to their pre 98 level.

The turks have had one hell of a tourney
PR316
Italy are out. Deserved win for Spain who showed more heart and never stopped attacking.

Onward to what will be a tough semi final against Russia.
PR316
Spain- Euro 2008 champions!!!... I LOVE THE SOUND OF THAT....

Chokers no more... clapping.gif drinks.gif

Congratulations.

Mean Mister Mustard
Most likely they are going to be favourites to win in South Africa but I bet they don't reach the quarter finals.
PR316
^^^Anybody can be beaten at any time but how in the world can you count out a team with that much talent already???... How would you feel if they do win in South Africa??..
Mean Mister Mustard
That question cannot be answered because you and I know they won't win it all in South Africa.

They always have a talented team in the major tournaments and continue to fuck it up. I don't think they can do worse than in France but I wonder how far they can go.

Here they beat a weak German team. They beat Sweden, good for them. Russia? Ok good. Italy they beat on penalties and we all know what that means. I just wonder how they would do against some of the top teams who walways raise their game in the World Cup.
PR316
^^^You act as if Spain were totally lucky and didn't deserve to win.

Italy like them or not(Their style of play frustrates me), are the current World Cup champions. They ARE a top team. Spain COMPLETELY outplayed them up and down the pitch, with the only reason being that it went to penalties was because Italy practically fielded 10 men on their own half of the field and never once took any real chances in opening up. But despite that, they were completely dominated and never had a chance that whole match.

Russia were a great team. They had an AMAZING Euro. In fact, off the strength of their wins over Sweden and Holland, many picked them to beat Spain in that semi final match, and Spain despite not having their top goal scorer on the pitch, still destroyed a great young team that is on the rise, and just dominated them the way Holland(Another powerhouse in Europe) failed to do.

Don't let that 1-0 score fool you. Germany were very fortunate that it was not 3-0. In the 2nd half, Spain hit EVERYTHING but the back of the net. They shut Germany's offense down and Podolski, Ballack, and Klose all just bitched and moaned about the whole thing. Germany got TORCHED that game. Its hard for me to remember such a one sided ass whipping with only 1 goal scored. Should have been at least a 3-0 win for Spain.

So whom else is left??... Who do you consider top teams that Spain cannot beat. This year they have beaten the likes of Italy, France, Russia, Sweden, and Greece.

The Euro Cup is arguably harder to win than the World Cup because in the World Cup, you have a bunch of lower level teams performing on the big stage, whereas in the Euro, its all the top teams going at it. Ever wonder why the quality of football is better in the Euro??... Well there you have it.

It goes without saying that as of RIGHT NOW, Spain are deservedly the best team in Europe. And its not like its a bunch of old men there. The guys they have almost all range from their early to mid 20s and are sure to still be together come 2010. And if you are at all familiar with Spanish football, then you'd know of the many young talents in La Liga that are sure to be ready for their first caps come 2010.

Spain are only going to get better. If they were chokers still, they would have messed it up against Italy but they didn't. This is a new group of guys. They know how to win. Its gonna take a great team to beat them.

Fitz
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jul 1 2008, 11:04 AM) [snapback]394291[/snapback]
The Euro Cup is arguably harder to win than the World Cup because in the World Cup, you have a bunch of lower level teams performing on the big stage, whereas in the Euro, its all the top teams going at it. Ever wonder why the quality of football is better in the Euro??... Well there you have it.

I disagree about it being harder to win. You don't have to look further than 2004 Euro, Greece even won it. Also looking through the World Cup winners, it's a small group that have only won it. Looking through the Euro you have a heap of teams that have won it and never been successful on the biggest stage.

Not taking anything away from Spain, as it is quite impressive to win the Euro. I just disagree about it being more difficult than the World Cup.
Mean Mister Mustard
PR, you make some great points and I am not even going to pretend that I know more about football than you do, because I don't. But like Fitz mentioned, WC winnners are a select group and Spain have consistently been underacheivers. They might go farther than ever in Africa but teams like Germany, Italy and Brazil step up their game way above everyone else.

It's entirely possible that with France seemingly no longer a superpower, Spain could take over their place. I guess we can look foward to the Confederations cup next year to give us a little preview of how Spain will do in the WC.
PR316
^^^France problem is their backline at the moment, is just too old. They have some young talent on the come up though so they'll be a contender.

True Spain have been underachievers overall. But in all fairness, they've had some bad luck. Not gonna blame referees or anything. But being eliminated by a strong force like France in 2006 is nothing to be ashamed of. France were amazing that year. And sometimes teams come out of nowhere and raise their game.

Like for example, teams like Croatia, Russia, and Turkey weren't even expected to make an impact.

Italy are still strong. They need a serious injection of youth, and with their old coach back now, they'll be a contender too.

Brazil I don't know. Lately they've been in big trouble. At the moment they're having trouble qualifying, losing to Paraguay recently(I know, shocking).

Argentina is a team to watch. They're gonna be good.

Also looking forward to the African teams. They play some great stuff but have no defense(Thats why they're exciting).
Mean Mister Mustard
Canadian Football expert commentator Dick Howard, I think it was him, said that he predicts that an African team will win the WC. With a good coach it would not surprise me, they have the talent, they just need to get organized.
PR316
^^^Pretty much. I recall Ivory Coast giving Argentina all they could handle 2 years ago in Germany.

If they can get a good coach and organize defensively, I could see one of those teams being a contender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.